Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
N
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
N
I received a Canadian made No.4 Mk.I rifle as a freebie thrown into a trade. While I have nothing invested, it would be nice if I were able to shoot it. Because it was not included in trade, just kind've tossed in, I did not test it in any way at the time. It is now a couple of weeks later and I went to futz with it. I removed bolt, had a look at bore and bolt, inserted bolt, cocked-on-closing, and pulled the trigger. Cocking piece dropped to a half-cock or a safe position indicating a malfunction. By retracting bolt enough to relax cocking and holding trigger to its trigger-pulled position, I can fully drop cocking piece to its fired position.

Please identify the problem. How can I fix it, preferably without requiring gunsmith or significant investment?

In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act. George Orwell
GB1

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
It has been decades since I handled an Enfield. IIRC the bolt head was not attached properly to the bolt body,,,Maybe had to be rotated 1/2 or full turn. Google Enfield bolt assembly and see if the answer to your issue is there.

There are different bolt head sizes for the purpose of adjusting headspace, but I don't see how the wrong head size would affect anything but headspace.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
I'd thoroughly clean and inspect bolt and striker, that being the easiest..but then you need to look for evidence "bubba been here', check the relationship between sear/striker and trigger/sear. If you're not familiar with the No 4, go online to actual exploded parts photos. The sear is that Vee shaped piece betwixt trigger and striker. I never saw any kind of safety problem, but it's worth a last look, it should lift the striker a good 40 thou or more, when in fire position it should lay all the way forward parallel to the bore. You will find the problem...if there was ever a simpler more foolproof rifle, I've never seen it.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
The no.4 mk1* was my first ever deer rifle - still have it 🦊
If yours has not been converted to mk2 specs the trigger group is hung and attached to the trigger guard rather than the receiver

I have seen the malfunction you described, and resolved by replacing trigger spring and safety spring cleaning and reassembling
Numrich should have both or check the Enfield Rifles forum -

There is room for all of gods creatures ... right next to the mashed potatoes

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

69 members (7mm_Loco, 300_savage, 99Ozarks, 6MMWASP, 8 invisible), 1,635 guests, and 729 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,626
Posts18,492,909
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.