Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
N
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
N
I received a Canadian made No.4 Mk.I rifle as a freebie thrown into a trade. While I have nothing invested, it would be nice if I were able to shoot it. Because it was not included in trade, just kind've tossed in, I did not test it in any way at the time. It is now a couple of weeks later and I went to futz with it. I removed bolt, had a look at bore and bolt, inserted bolt, cocked-on-closing, and pulled the trigger. Cocking piece dropped to a half-cock or a safe position indicating a malfunction. By retracting bolt enough to relax cocking and holding trigger to its trigger-pulled position, I can fully drop cocking piece to its fired position.

Please identify the problem. How can I fix it, preferably without requiring gunsmith or significant investment?

In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act. George Orwell
GB1

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
It has been decades since I handled an Enfield. IIRC the bolt head was not attached properly to the bolt body,,,Maybe had to be rotated 1/2 or full turn. Google Enfield bolt assembly and see if the answer to your issue is there.

There are different bolt head sizes for the purpose of adjusting headspace, but I don't see how the wrong head size would affect anything but headspace.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
F
I'd thoroughly clean and inspect bolt and striker, that being the easiest..but then you need to look for evidence "bubba been here', check the relationship between sear/striker and trigger/sear. If you're not familiar with the No 4, go online to actual exploded parts photos. The sear is that Vee shaped piece betwixt trigger and striker. I never saw any kind of safety problem, but it's worth a last look, it should lift the striker a good 40 thou or more, when in fire position it should lay all the way forward parallel to the bore. You will find the problem...if there was ever a simpler more foolproof rifle, I've never seen it.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
The no.4 mk1* was my first ever deer rifle - still have it 🦊
If yours has not been converted to mk2 specs the trigger group is hung and attached to the trigger guard rather than the receiver

I have seen the malfunction you described, and resolved by replacing trigger spring and safety spring cleaning and reassembling
Numrich should have both or check the Enfield Rifles forum -

There is room for all of gods creatures ... right next to the mashed potatoes

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

583 members (1badf350, 1lesfox, 1936M71, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 56 invisible), 2,517 guests, and 1,493 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,194
Posts18,485,002
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.