Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I worked with a woman who called out sick then ended up on the news after her dog won an Ugly Dog Contest.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by 10Glocks
I worked with a woman who called out sick then ended up on the news after her dog won an Ugly Dog Contest.
Oh crap!

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
She took “mental health days”, I’ve never heard of a teacher getting fired for that so long as you don’t abuse it. Most Admins got enough to do already then check on you, especially if you’re a valued staff member and it ain’t like they’ve never done it.

I’ve got about a whole school contract year’s worth of unused sick days accumulated by now so I ain’t the one to ask but all I know is more teachers get sick on Friday than any other day, even more so before a three day weekend.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by hanco
They wouldn’t give you sick days if they didn’t want you to use them

Sorry, I have to disagree. My company offered sick days, but often punished people for using them. Granted, we had people who abused the policy and used every single minute of sick time as their vacation time. These people would then get ill or injured and then whine when their sick time went unpaid. The company retaliated against everyone. They'd try to bully and shame people who rarely took any sick allotments. Indeed, they took it as a personal insult for vacation time too.

Our work week, for accounting purposes started on Sunday and went through Saturday. Traditionally, vacation days for people was scheduled Monday through Friday. In addition, you weren't usually scheduled to work the weekend before or after a 40 hour vacation week. This meant a person who had a vacation scheduled had 9 continuous days away from work. We had a little tyrant who would deliberately schedule someone the last Saturday before a vacation week and the first Sunday following a vacation. So instead of getting 9 days away, you got only 7. Moreover, he would "forget" to post the schedule in a timely manner so someone who was on vacation would get a "no show" on the Sunday following vacation. This prick would also "forget" to sign your timesheet during your vacation and thus cause havoc with your finances.

Last edited by Dess; 04/05/24.

For even when we were with you, we gave you this rule: "If a man will not work, he shall not eat."

2 Thessalonians 3:10
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
If she wanted to go to a concert, could she have found one during the 3 months she doesn't have to work?

The modern day teacher, on average, is a worthless leftist fùck.

IC B2

P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
Mom taught for 30 years+.
Kid Sis has taught for 20.

Ain’t no fuggin’ way I’d do it. The kids can be bad, but putting up with administration would make it a very short lived career for me.

C
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
While in junior college,several of us cut classes to go deer hunting when Mississippi first started having populations large enough to hunt. You had to have a note presented to the Academic Dean, Dean Thigpen, to be excused. Mine passed although I don’t think he read it closely enough. I missed school to attend a “ deer” friend’s funeral. It was the truth.
Dean Thigpen was a great man, taught Biology and science. In his latter years, he taught for the princely sum of one dollar per year and lived in academic housing. He was an old bachelor and brilliant , much loved.

C
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
As a school principal, I’ve seen the flip side of this. No way in hell could I find 36 substitute teachers on the day of the Canton Flea Market, held in the fall and the spring. It’s a big craft festival and draws thousands. We had to change the employee policy manual to address this.

Last edited by carrollco; 04/05/24.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Dess
Originally Posted by hanco
They wouldn’t give you sick days if they didn’t want you to use them

Sorry, I have to disagree. My company offered sick days, but often punished people for using them. Granted, we had people who abused the policy and used every single minute of sick time as their vacation time. These people would then get ill or injured and then whine when their sick time went unpaid. The company retaliated against everyone. They'd try to bully and shame people who rarely took any sick allotments. Indeed, they took it as a personal insult for vacation time too.

Our work week, for accounting purposes started on Sunday and went through Saturday. Traditionally, vacation days for people was scheduled Monday through Friday. In addition, you weren't usually scheduled to work the weekend before or after a 40 hour vacation week. This meant a person who had a vacation scheduled had 9 continuous days away from work. We had a little tyrant who would deliberately schedule someone the last Saturday before a vacation week and the first Sunday following a vacation. So instead of getting 9 days away, you got only 7. Moreover, he would "forget" to post the schedule in a timely manner so someone who was on vacation would get a "no show" on the Sunday following vacation. This prick would also "forget" to sign your timesheet during your vacation and thus cause havoc with your finances.

How long did you work for such a company or are you still working for them?

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
They wanted to fire her anyway. This was their golden moment. Duh.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

3-7-77
IC B3

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
About 20 years ago we got rid of the whole vacation leave and sick leave BS. It gets too much into the weeds about how to handle each one. What we had a problem with would be if someone ran out of vacation and wanted to take off, they'd call in sick so you didn't see it coming until that day. We went to PTO (Paid Time Off). I don't give a schit why. This way if they want to do something, I can plan on it. They accrue it based on hours worked and time of service. Anybody can take off whenever they want as long as we have enough guys to operate. It sucks being short handed, but people have their lives outside of work.

The problem I have is when you have guys (mainly younger guys) that use their PTO as fast as they accrue it and then take off more time with no pay. They always seem like the guys that are struggling financially and need a raise. Every time one of them asks for a raise, I tell them that they can give themselves a raise just by coming to work every day. Then they won't be losing overtime. Other guys (mainly older guys), want to hoard their PTO and will take off without pay. Then when they get to the point that they're going to lose those hours, they scramble around and take off even though they don't need to at the end of each year. That doesn't make sense. I can pay you now or I can pay you later, but if you don't use them by the end of the following year, you'll lose them. Why not just use the PTO when you take off and if a unforeseen health problem arises, then take off no pay.

Last edited by StoneCutter; 04/05/24.

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Jackson_Handy
If she wanted to go to a concert, could she have found one during the 3 months she doesn't have to work?

Riiiiiight . . . cuz your fav band is always playing nearby when it's convenient for you.

I'm flying down to Colorado to see one of my fav bands play at Red Rocks in August.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
There is more to this story.

Most school systems give teachers about 3 personal days that can be used for anything and 10 sick days/year. Unused sick days roll over and build up. It is usually handled by the principal, not at the county level. You generally have to put in for personal days a week or 2 in advance, but most principals will work with employees if unexpected things come up. Everyone needs a "Mental Health" sick day from time to time and 99.99% of the time nothing is ever said unless someone is abusing the system.

Chances are good there is a back story here and they were looking for a reason to fire her.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
We had vacation and five paid personal days. Sick time was on the company, for when someone was actually sick, and didn’t accrue. Time on the job determined if you were paid for the first sick days, and also how many sick days you were paid for in case of a serious illness. Sick time wasn’t extra vacation, and if you got caught using it that way you would be disciplined, up to and including termination.

The rules are the rules. If that teacher violated them, then the discipline is deserved.

What fresh Hell is this?
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Always told my crews to just man up. If you want to take a day "Call in well" and just tell me you need a day. As above, don't "Call in sick" and then I see your mug on the News...

I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors
LIBERTY TOWNSHIP, Ohio (WXIX/Gray News) – A high school English teacher in Ohio is facing termination after she allegedly called out of work sick for two days to attend a concert in Nashville, Tennessee, district records show.

Eileen Washburn, an English teacher at Lakota West High School in the Lakota Local School District, is currently on unpaid leave as she faces potential termination.

Not only is Washburn a teacher, but she is also a member of the board of education at another nearby school district, Loveland City School District, according to its website.

Both districts are in the northern suburbs of Cincinnati.

😆
Good, glad to see admin has some balls.

Sick leave is insurance against the possibility of illness and loss of paycheck. I have no use for those who abuse it.

How much of your homeowners or auto insurance will you get back at the end of the year if you don't use it?

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by JMR40
There is more to this story.

Most school systems give teachers about 3 personal days that can be used for anything and 10 sick days/year. Unused sick days roll over and build up. It is usually handled by the principal, not at the county level. You generally have to put in for personal days a week or 2 in advance, but most principals will work with employees if unexpected things come up. Everyone needs a "Mental Health" sick day from time to time and 99.99% of the time nothing is ever said unless someone is abusing the system.

Chances are good there is a back story here and they were looking for a reason to fire her.
"Mental health day".....LOL

Never heard that from any but Democrat females.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
We have permissive leave. No limit. As long as the work is getting completed and customers are not yelling.

CK
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by Orion2000
Always told my crews to just man up. If you want to take a day "Call in well" and just tell me you need a day. As above, don't "Call in sick" and then I see your mug on the News...

Yeah, no schit. I always love it when someone's wife or "Ole Lady" calls in for him. Like you're too sick to pick up the phone and call?

Last edited by StoneCutter; 04/06/24.

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
G
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
G
Originally Posted by Fubarski
I'd hafta see a picture of the broad, ta decide if the termination was warranted or not.

Eileen Washburn

https://www.lovelandschools.org/Page/125

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

599 members (10gaugeman, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 10Glocks, 54 invisible), 2,113 guests, and 1,254 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,038
Posts18,482,003
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.