Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Jcon72 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Recently I ran across what seems to be a great deal on an older Springfield XD45, 4-inch Service model. It's in excellent condition and includes everything in the picture, including two 13-round mags, not the 10-round which appear to be more standard these days. It's a reputable local dealer, and although I am not actively looking for another .45 ACP it's pretty hard to turn this one down for the price (less than $300, OTD). With the Gestapo-like gun laws in our state gun prices tend to run higher than average here.
To those who have actually owned (or at least personally shot) one of these exact models, can you offer your real-world input to someone like myself who is considering one? It will likely be a bedside gun, not a CCW, obviously.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

GB1

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
With zero personal experience with that particular model, but with my experiences and that of many others with the Springfields……I don’t need it, but I’d jump on it! JMO memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
Jcon72 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by memtb
With zero personal experience with that particular model, but with my experiences and that of many others with the Springfields……I don’t need it, but I’d jump on it! JMO memtb

Pretty much my way of thinking.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I have one and mine is very accurate and extremely reliable. I'm a big fan of the XD and XDM line and have had more than a couple. They have all been very consistent performers. I'm not sure springfield is currently offering a 13rd model, so makes it a bit more desirable as far as I'm concerned.

Last edited by mtnman1; 04/01/24.

Check out my new website

http://www.howemtnknives.com/
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I have one of the XDS 3.3 .45 ACP models. Bought it back in 2010. Many hours of CCW and a lot of range time with them. Flawless performance, and quite accurate. I am sure the larger model is just as good.

Sam......

IC B2

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I obtained a used one, and I'm kinda ashamed
to say it outdid a series 80 colt as far as accuracy.
Nary a stoppage or hiccup.
Haven't used it for a cowboy shampoo, so I
can't say that it would perform as well as a
1911 would for that duty

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
i am a revolver guy.

my only 9mm service pistol is a springfield xd. very happy.

im currently shopping for a one and done 45acp service pistol. springfield xd and tisas m1911 are my shortlist. i too am curious about opinions here.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Jcon72
Recently I ran across what seems to be a great deal on an older Springfield XD45, 4-inch Service model. It's in excellent condition and includes everything in the picture, including two 13-round mags, not the 10-round which appear to be more standard these days. It's a reputable local dealer, and although I am not actively looking for another .45 ACP it's pretty hard to turn this one down for the price (less than $300, OTD). With the Gestapo-like gun laws in our state gun prices tend to run higher than average here.
To those who have actually owned (or at least personally shot) one of these exact models, can you offer your real-world input to someone like myself who is considering one? It will likely be a bedside gun, not a CCW, obviously.

Not a bad deal. I've had one similar, except it was 2 tone, and had the 5" barrel. It shot very well. I liked the 13 round mags. Good amount of firepower. I actually saw an XDM competition series 45 a couple days ago, for $299.95. I damned near bought it.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Jcon72 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by jstert
i am a revolver guy.

my only 9mm service pistol is a springfield xd. very happy.

im currently shopping for a one and done 45acp service pistol. springfield xd and tisas m1911 are my shortlist. i too am curious about opinions here.

I'm primarily a revolver guy, too, but also have my share of bottom-feeders as well. Friday I'll be picking this one up from the LGS since it's just too reasonable of a price to pass up for a good quality .45 that's in nice condition. Been thinking about it and am pretty sure it'll be my "workin'-around-the-property" gun. A gun that I don't have to worry about getting dirty or even scratching up a little, and in a caliber that is enough to deal with any threats that might be expected in our neck of the woods.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I have had my XD45 since they first came out. It is a bit big for every day carry though it will fit in the same holsters I use for the 9mm/40 S&W series. I keep it by the door and grab if I head out and am not wearing a gun already.

It is a rugged gun and has been reliable with almost everything I have put in the magazine. The exceptions were the occasional round that did not crimp properly.

IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Hunting pal has an XDM .45, I've shot it a bunch. For $300, jump on it.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
B
BMT Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Agree with above, it’s a buy

"The Church can and should help modern society by tirelessly insisting that the work of women in the home be recognized and respected by all in its irreplaceable value." Apostolic Exhortation On The Family, Pope John Paul II
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
For $300? It’s probably already gone.

Jcon72 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by viking
For $300? It’s probably already gone.

No, he's holding it for me. Just can't make it there until tomorrow or Saturday.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Shocked
Campfire Outfitter
F
Next time anyone finds an XD for $300, please send it my way. For that price, I'd put one in a go bag with 300 rounds of ammo and forget it.

Back in about 2004 or so, I bought the exact model XD, in OD green in .40 SW. That gun is ALWAYS on my hip when in the woods. I have hiked hundreds of miles, killed unknown number of rabbits, a couple coyotes, dispatched a couple of wounded coues deer etc. In that time, I have had probably a dozed other polymer pistols of all flavors in an attempt to "upgrade", but I no longer have any of those, but I still have old trust. I love the gun. In fact, if I was given a choice of what to carry at work, I would carry my XD-40 over the mandated Glock 47.

Last edited by firstcoueswas80; 04/05/24.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

I shot one at the range, they are OK. Unless you have lots of .45 ACP ammo I would pick .40 S&W because it will offer comparable performance at reduced ammo cost. They practically give these away. For example, Cabelas Woodbury has SiG 250 for $220. Used extra mag or two should not cost a lot extra. The DA trigger on those is pretty good and one is much less likely to shoot their foot then with P320.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
We've had XDs around here since 2003, in everything from 9mm to 45 ACP. They are excellent, accurate and reliable pistols which, for me, handle and point way better than any Glock. I also like the XD's roomier trigger guard.

The only weapon related malfs I ever had involved a Mod2 45 Compact, and those were related to weakened magazine springs. I replaced them with +10% springs and never had another issue. My next one will be the standard XD45 Service and I'll probably re-spring the mags right out of the chute.

Direct Impingement is the Fart Joke of military rifle operating systems. ⓒ
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
I had that exact XD model at one time. shot plenty good not any issues with it at all. it is a bit big to try to carry all the time concealed. I guess if a guy wanted to get real picky and critique it the higher bore axis would be probably one thing many would mention. it's been too long ago since I had mine to be real precise on comments.

Jcon72 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by firstcoueswas80
Next time anyone finds an XD for $300, please send it my way. For that price, I'd put one in a go bag with 300 rounds of ammo and forget it.

Back in about 2004 or so, I bought the exact model XD, in OD green in .40 SW. That gun is ALWAYS on my hip when in the woods. I have hiked hundreds of miles, killed unknown number of rabbits, a couple coyotes, dispatched a couple of wounded coues deer etc. In that time, I have had probably a dozed other polymer pistols of all flavors in an attempt to "upgrade", but I no longer have any of those, but I still have old trust. I love the gun. In fact, if I was given a choice of what to carry at work, I would carry my XD-40 over the mandated Glock 47.

Thanks for sharing your experiences.
This was a purchase sight-unseen, other than a few pictures, but considering my past experiences with this particular FFL I wasn't at all concerned. Last night after picking it up I brought it home, and upon field-stripping it the barrel appears to have very little sign of use, based on the lack of bluing wear. It's the original barrel with serial number matching the frame. The gun itself is simply spotless; not a scratch or mark to be seen anywhere. Upon removing the foam liner in the case I found all the original paperwork and factory-fired shell in it's little manila envelope dated 2009. It would seem to be very much worth the 280 bucks invested for a house and field gun.

Originally Posted by Slavek
I shot one at the range, they are OK. Unless you have lots of .45 ACP ammo I would pick .40 S&W because it will offer comparable performance at reduced ammo cost. They practically give these away. For example, Cabelas Woodbury has SiG 250 for $220. Used extra mag or two should not cost a lot extra. The DA trigger on those is pretty good and one is much less likely to shoot their foot then with P320.

First of all, this wasn't a post asking for caliber advice but rather a question regarding the model of gun itself. If I'd really wanted another .40 I would have looked for another .40.
Second, as a handloader the least of my concern is whether or not I "have lots of .45 ACP ammo" on hand. If I need more ammo....just walk upstairs and crank out some more...problem solved.
Third, my LGS wasn't selling a Sig P250 for that sort of price, they were selling an XD.

Originally Posted by ldholton
I had that exact XD model at one time. shot plenty good not any issues with it at all. it is a bit big to try to carry all the time concealed. I guess if a guy wanted to get real picky and critique it the higher bore axis would be probably one thing many would mention. it's been too long ago since I had mine to be real precise on comments.

Yes, I have other options for CCW and certainly am not planning to use the XD for that purpose. This will likely just be a reasonably good quality, low-cost nightstand gun and/or something to strap on my belt while walking the woods or working on my property. And yes, besides the overall size, the high bore axis is the only other thing that seems to be of any "concern", if a person wants to call it that.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by firstcoueswas80

Thanks for sharing your experiences.
This was a purchase sight-unseen, other than a few pictures, but considering my past experiences with this particular FFL I wasn't at all concerned. Last night after picking it up I brought it home, and upon field-stripping it the barrel appears to have very little sign of use, based on the lack of bluing wear. It's the original barrel with serial number matching the frame. The gun itself is simply spotless; not a scratch or mark to be seen anywhere. Upon removing the foam liner in the case I found all the original paperwork and factory-fired shell in it's little manila envelope dated 2009. It would seem to be very much worth the 280 bucks invested for a house and field gun.

Originally Posted by Slavek

First of all, this wasn't a post asking for caliber advice but rather a question regarding the model of gun itself. If I'd really wanted another .40 I would have looked for another .40.
Second, as a handloader the least of my concern is whether or not I "have lots of .45 ACP ammo" on hand. If I need more ammo....just walk upstairs and crank out some more...problem solved.
Third, my LGS wasn't selling a Sig P250 for that sort of price, they were selling an XD.

Originally Posted by ldholton

Yes, I have other options for CCW and certainly am not planning to use the XD for that purpose. This will likely just be a reasonably good quality, low-cost nightstand gun and/or something to strap on my belt while walking the woods or working on my property. And yes, besides the overall size, the high bore axis is the only other thing that seems to be of any "concern", if a person wants to call it that.

I would not worry about the bore axis. These pistols shoot well, and handle nicely. Recoil is not bad, and accuracy is very good. Every XD and XDM I've shot has handled very well.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

594 members (12344mag, 16penny, 160user, 01Foreman400, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 60 invisible), 2,323 guests, and 1,202 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,820
Posts18,477,798
Members73,944
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.