Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
D
dave284 Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
D
Getting ready to buy a gas powered pressure washer for cleaning up around here. Its' largest job will be cleaning the concrete every couple years or so and smaller jobs will be to clean brick on the house and wood on the back porch, probably when I do the concrete. Other than that it may be used a few times a year to spray mud or salt out from under the truck or something along those lines. I was set to buy one that is rated at 3200 psi but was doing some reading that says that much pressure may be very hard on the mortar in the bricks, so now I'm thinking about one in the 2500 lb area. What would you do? What have you done and what was your experience?

Thanks.

Those who are always shooting off at the mouth usually aren't shooting straight.

Build a man a fire and he’ll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he’ll be warm for the rest of his life.

www.wvcdl.org
GB1

E
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
E
Harbor freight

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
my Hotsy Shark is rated at @ 4000 psi IIRC... also has a regulator to lower pressure... i just leave it wide open and back away a bit for delicate stuff... more is better IMO...

R
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
R
Get one somewhere around 2800-3000 psi and just use the wand tip with the widest spray pattern that comes with the machine and stand back a bit until you see how things are going.

"Men must be governed by God or they will be ruled by tyrants". --- William Penn

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I suspect most of those numbers are assigned in the marketing departments much like the HP ratings used to be. If you could test them they would not meet the ratings.

A unit with about a 5 HP motor will easily do what you are describing. The risk of damaging things depends more on how close you hold the nozzle than the ratings.

If you don't use it very often remember to run it out of gas before storing it and don't store it where it might freeze.

Jerry

Minnesota; Land of 10,000 Taxes
IC B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Throw GPM into the equation.

Higher pressure without the flow to back it up is meaningless.

I finally figgered that out, and it’s amazing what the higher flow will do for you.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by dave284
Getting ready to buy a gas powered pressure washer for cleaning up around here. Its' largest job will be cleaning the concrete every couple years or so and smaller jobs will be to clean brick on the house and wood on the back porch, probably when I do the concrete. Other than that it may be used a few times a year to spray mud or salt out from under the truck or something along those lines. I was set to buy one that is rated at 3200 psi but was doing some reading that says that much pressure may be very hard on the mortar in the bricks, so now I'm thinking about one in the 2500 lb area. What would you do? What have you done and what was your experience?

Thanks.

You’ll have (should have) a selection of nozzles that come with the unit. With one you can literally drill a hole in concrete and others provide a softer pattern.

The distance from the nozzle to the job being done matters a lot.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Working in the oilfield I have a lot of hours using a pressure washer. I liked high volume at moderate pressure better Than low volume high pressure.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by RJY66
Get one somewhere around 2800-3000 psi and just use the wand tip with the widest spray pattern that comes with the machine and stand back a bit until you see how things are going.

I've got a 3300 Honda I got on sale at Sam's for $349 that does everything I need it to do.

Just either back away or use a wider spray tip for more delicate jobs. I personally have never changed the tip on mine.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Can always turn it down….cant turn it up.

IC B3

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Whatever you do, I recommend a Honda motor and a Cat pump. The Honda because of the infrequent starts. I don't use TrueFuel beacuse I $18 for a gallon seems ridiculous, but non-ethanol and fuel stabilizer is your friend. I usually prime mine, but I rarely have to pull more than 3 times. No non-Honda I had was anywhere near as easy to start even with the same care and I don't buy el cheapo stuff, so I am a Honda believer. I have no evidence other than anecdotal, but my Cat pumps have always lasted. I ended up with a Dewalt from HD because it was on sale. I think it was $500 to $600. It came with different nozzles and the poster who said one will eat concrete and he is right. Don't ask.

Regards,

Kris

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Whatever you do, I recommend a Honda motor and a Cat pump. The Honda because of the infrequent starts. I don't use TrueFuel beacuse I $18 for a gallon seems ridiculous, but non-ethanol and fuel stabilizer is your friend. I usually prime mine, but I rarely have to pull more than 3 times. No non-Honda I had was anywhere near as easy to start even with the same care and I don't buy el cheapo stuff, so I am a Honda believer. I have no evidence other than anecdotal, but my Cat pumps have always lasted. I ended up with a Dewalt from HD because it was on sale. I think it was $500 to $600. It came with different nozzles and the poster who said one will eat concrete and he is right. Don't ask.

Regards,

Kris

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I've owned 4 or 5 over the years and now own a Dewalt 3300. Does everything I need it for. Whatever you do , heed the advice here and do not under any circumstances let the women folk use it! Trust me , they will fry your pump!

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
GPM in most cases trumps PSI.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
id go to lowes,homedepot,harbor freight,northern tool,tractor supply and buy one at 2800 -3000 psi and use it until it dies . no need to spend a fortune. northern tool has extra hoses,extension hoses and about any other acc you can think of at good prices.

just make sure you drain it good before winter

Last edited by srwshooter; 04/09/24.
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
heat and good soap are much more important then pressure.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by srwshooter
id go to lowes,homedepot,harbor freight,northern tool,tractor supply and buy one at 2800 -3000 psi and use it until it dies . no need to spend a fortune. northern tool has extra hoses,extension hoses and about any other acc you can think of at good prices.

just make sure you drain it good before winter

I agree...

Try Vevor... https://www.vevor.com/s/pressure-washers

https://www.vevor.com/pressure-wash...rs-homes-driveways-patios-p_010356126885

or

https://www.vevor.com/pressure-wash...rs-homes-driveways-patios-p_010834768806

Vevor has done me well on quite a few things...

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Cecil56
GPM in most cases trumps PSI.
Look for higher GPM.That is what will get the job done a lot quicker.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
As Bob Hagel would say"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."Good words of wisdom...............
V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
I bought a Husqvarna Model JDX268 (made in Japan) that was on sale at Costco online with free shipping. I don't remember the price but was cheaper than anything I could find anywhere else that was comparable.

It is rated at 3200PSI/2.5 GPM and it idles real slow until you pull the trigger and it starts spraying. If I'm worried about damaging something I just move farther away. It will use a gallon of soap quickly so you have to keep an eye on the soap level.

S
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
S
I farm and ranch so I got a monster which you don't need but make sure you release the pressure every 30 seconds or so if you go electric.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

610 members (160user, 222ND, 2500HD, 2003and2013, 257 mag, 163bc, 61 invisible), 2,404 guests, and 1,158 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,789
Posts18,477,285
Members73,943
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.