Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
G
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
G
My agency is looking to purchase new guns. Our current guns are 12 years old and all have at least 1000 rounds through them per year. We were notified by the original distributor that they would no longer pursue maintenance of the contract or the weapons.

With that said, our gun gurus have recommended a variant that costs nearly double of what everyone else is quoting. The justification is the company is “local veteran owned”. It’s a small distributor. Also, we would still have to source parts and service from someone else.

I’m having a hard time with this. What should the priority be? Spend an extra $500k to buy from a local veteran owned distributor, or spend less for a product that is good enough? The local guy may or may not be sustainable for the future, since it’s a small business. In the end of the day, we still have to source parts elsewhere.

My original suggestion was to retrofit what we have. However, the agency doesn’t want to use line staff or “armorers” to do this work. The priority is to keep staff on the street, not tinkering with guns. Man hours get factored into cost of retrofitting and that adds up too. Plus, the frames still have at least 12k rounds through them. I get that, sort of.

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
How does your agency garner the funds for the guns?

If it's the American Taxpayer - local or whatever - your responsibility is to them, not the Vet distributor.

I get wanting to help and shop there first but if the cost is 2x - your agency is committing malpractice IMO. A small % might be explainable, 2x cost isn't.

Me

G
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by Teal
How does your agency garner the funds for the guns?

If it's the American Taxpayer - local or whatever - your responsibility is to them, not the Vet distributor.

I get wanting to help and shop there first but if the cost is 2x - your agency is committing malpractice IMO. A small % might be explainable, 2x cost isn't.

Our funds are from state taxes, mainly sales tax. I feel the same as you. The cost is really hard to swallow. If we “had” to spend the money, I’d rather buy cheaper guns and upgrade body armor or something. Maybe spend money on better training. Anything.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Agreed - I'd be thinking "Can we get a sidearm at a better cost that does the job and leave money left over to upgrade armor? Maybe something lighter or more comfortable? A new patrol rifle in cars?" Don't blow the budget on 1 item - use the budget to upgrade as much as possible for as many as possible.

Me

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
What pistol has a 12k round service life?

IC B2

G
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by Strop10

I believe our agency requirement is 20k rounds. I’m sure with normal care and spring replacement, the guns will last longer.

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Gooch_McGrundle

I believe our agency requirement is 20k rounds. I’m sure with normal care and spring replacement, the guns will last longer.

20K used to be the locking block(replaceable) life on the Beretta M9/92 and I think improvements have even extended that.

G
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by Gooch_McGrundle

20K used to be the locking block(replaceable) life on the Beretta M9/92 and I think improvements have even extended that.

I wouldn’t be surprised if we adopted some number that someone heard once. I’m no longer confident that our weapons procurement people know anything. I just need to get promoted two more times and I get to have a say.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
My series 70 Gold Cup has well over 35,000 rounds through it without ever having a single malfunction. It's still going strong, albeit, not as accurately as it once was.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Just get some of those time out cards to hold up in times of stress. Save a lot of money.

NRA-Benefactor
TSRA-Life

"It's a terrible thing when governments send their young men to kill each other." Charles Byrne,WW2 Vet.
On the day Desert Storm began.
IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Is there a bidding process? Most every .gov and every corporate bean counter I've worked under make us submit bid packages, and require justification if the low bidder is to be passed over.

“You never need fear a man, no matter what his size. When danger threatens, call on me, and I will equalize.”
Samuel Colt.

�Common sense is genius dressed up in work clothes.� - Ralph Waldo Emerson

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Palmetto State Armory would make you whatever glock 9mm clone you want and stand behind it.

There is no retreat but in submission and slavery!
G
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by BigNate
Is there a bidding process? Most every .gov and every corporate bean counter I've worked under make us submit bid packages, and require justification if the low bidder is to be passed over.

There is. I contacted a .gov procurement guy yesterday afternoon to pull the info. I know our idiot governor promoted a law that gives a trump card to the agency if purchasing from local veteran or minority owned businesses.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I'm not a veteran, but I'm extremely thankful to those that are.

In my mind, being a veteran doesn't mean they get to screw over the taxpayers in a situation like this. It should be, "if all things are equal, we'll give the veteran owned business the nod, maybe"

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
Can you say, " kick back". Somebody's getting 10% for the "big guy".

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
12k rounds on a quality pistol frame ain't crap.

Your agency should be telling your local vet owned shop to drop their price or they walk.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Getting state vendor status and keeping competition at bay are how to get mad money.

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Sounds like the "local veteran" is good buddies with some of the department big wheels who control the purse strings. Don't make waves or you might find yourself unemployed. The good ole boy network ca-ca roaches don't like somebody turning on the lights in the middle of the night!

Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid is forever!
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Have you ever perused the Federal contract awards site?

Last month a firm was awarded a contract to supply 2,000 helmets at >$6,500 a pop.

How many front line soldiers make $6500 a month?

I didn't check the service life of the helmets, UT I recall the recommended replacement interval of a motorcycle helmet is pretty short for their price tag....

Last edited by OldmanoftheSea; 04/10/24.

-OMotS

"If memory serves fails me..."
Quote: ( unnamed) "been prtty deep in the cooler todaay "

Television and radio are most effective when people question little and think even less.
G
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by Hotrod_Lincoln
Sounds like the "local veteran" is good buddies with some of the department big wheels who control the purse strings. Don't make waves or you might find yourself unemployed. The good ole boy network ca-ca roaches don't like somebody turning on the lights in the middle of the night!

I am suspecting the same. The procurement docs are fishy, to say the least.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

617 members (160user, 222ND, 2500HD, 2003and2013, 257 mag, 163bc, 61 invisible), 2,405 guests, and 1,156 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,789
Posts18,477,285
Members73,943
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.