Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
OP Offline
S
Good Morning!

I just acquired this 1980-81 M77 chambered in 25-06. It has the tang safety, but, I’m not sure why it seems to have a stock that isn’t on other models of the time. It has fancy embellishments on the stock inside the checkered areas, that I’m just not seeing on other models. The only other online rifles I can find with the same stock appearance and embellishments are labeled as ,” Lenard Brownell of Al Beisen” customs. I’m not seeing any marking that these rifles have, however, but the stock seems identical to Al’s stocks.

I think we all know who Brownell, is. What I DON’T know is if this is an aftermarket stock, or, if it’s a hacked rifle? The stock is beautifully polished and of a wood grain that is pretty stunning. It also has a compensator that, while I’m sure it’s aftermarket, is machined to look as OEM as they come. It was either factory OR, done by an excellent gunsmith, or someone with skill. The bore is like new, and I can’t find a blemish on it anywhere, really. One small scratch that takes some time to find, in the right light at the right angle.

Can someone help me identify what I have? Unfortunately, I can’t get the rifle off the 8-day,”If it was stolen and sold to a gun shop” NC hold until tomorrow.

GB1

S
OP Offline
S

Last edited by Steensj2004; 04/11/24.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Is the bolt shroud custom too?

Last edited by 10gaugemag; 04/11/24.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
S
OP Offline
S
Honestly, I would assume it is. Its jeweled, but, I cannot be certain. I haven't had a chance to open it up and look to search for any markings inside the stock ETC. I am just shocked that there isn't a mark or indication of a smith on it. Whoever did this, knew what they were doing. Even the muzzle device is a perfect bluing match, and, I don't see any indication that the main gun was reblued.

It's driving me crazy.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I don't know - but it sure is a nice looking rifle! I hope it shoots as good as it looks. 25-06 is a favorite cartridge of mine and I've always liked Ruger rifles, looks like you got a very nice one.

Regards, Guy

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'd love to have that problem.

We deal in lead, friend.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
The seller had no info ?

Old Corps

Semper Fi

FJB
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I would bet $100 that is a HARRY LAWSON stocked and customized gun.

The steamlined bolt shroud is a dead giveaway, as well as the Fleur-de- lis Checkering and the high gloss finish on bolt metal and wood.

He was well known for his Flashy "Star Wars" looking rifles- Mostly high gloss finshed Remington 700s with Fancy wood thumbhole stocks ,streamlined bolt shrouds and muzzle brakes.

Many folks did not know that he also did CLASSIC stocked guns. I believe that is what you have.

Last edited by jk16; 04/11/24.
S
OP Offline
S
The seller brought in a entire stock of rifles and shotguns. These were, and I kid you not, all the lesser of his multiples of each firearm. He didn't provide much if any info on any of them, and I cant be sure he even knew what this was other than am M77. Seems to be a guy who sees a gun he likes and just buys it.

Originally Posted by Craigster
The seller had no info ?

S
OP Offline
S
Awesome! Thanks for that info. Any idea where he may have marked the rifle with his stamp or signature?

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
Is the bolt shroud custom too?

That and the muzzle brake too.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Steensj2004
Awesome! Thanks for that info. Any idea where he may have marked the rifle with his stamp or signature?

No matter who the maker is, the most common place they put a mark or signature is in the inletting(usually the barrel channel or action flat) .They also may put a makers mark under the buttplate- but since that stock has a pad, probably not.

Last edited by jk16; 04/12/24.
S
OP Offline
S
Welp, figured it out. Stamped in the tip of the fore end.

H Lawson. Pretty stoked!

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Steensj2004: What a cool Rifle in a great caliber!
I love everything about it, except at each end, there are un-needed accoutrements (the muzzle brake and the huge pad).
Enjoy that fine rig - or are you selling it?
Which fixed power scope is that?
TIA
And again enjoy.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
P.S.: Welcome to the CampFire.

S
OP Offline
S
Tip of the stock fore end is stamped ," H Lawson." You nailed it. Now I wonder about value?

Originally Posted by jk16
I would bet $100 that is a HARRY LAWSON stocked and customized gun.

The steamlined bolt shroud is a dead giveaway, as well as the Fleur-de- lis Checkering and the high gloss finish on bolt metal and wood.

He was well known for his Flashy "Star Wars" looking rifles- Mostly high gloss finshed Remington 700s with Fancy wood thumbhole stocks ,streamlined bolt shrouds and muzzle brakes.

Many folks did not know that he also did CLASSIC stocked guns. I believe that is what you have.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
That sure is a gorgeous rifle. I am a huge fan of the .25-06 as well! It has served me well for a ton of coyotes, some mule deer and even a couple of elk.

Typically I have used one of the various 115-120 grain bullets but am going to give the 100 grain E-Tips a try!!

My money is on that your Ruger is a beautifully done semi-custom!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

612 members (160user, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 12344mag, 16penny, 01Foreman400, 59 invisible), 2,386 guests, and 1,216 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,823
Posts18,477,875
Members73,944
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.