-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
SSS, they are not even remotely endangered, but beware Karen neighbors.

Anyways, grackles, even our big great-tailed grackle ARE protected by the migratory bird act. TPWD does issue depredation permits for commercial operations but prob’ly not for your bird feeder.

Great tailed grackle males are twice the size of females. A single male grackle stakes out a number of adjacent trees, drives off other males and mates with every female nesting in his trees. Male great-tails have it rough, being bigger, they require more food as young birds and many starve. As adults only about one in five ever succeeds in establishing a territory.

They take no part in raising their young but do defend against predators.

If you shoot a female (smaller and brown) this time of year you’re starving her nest of young which may or may not be a problem. Males are usually non-territorial males or sometimes the successful one in five on territory with females. Neither sort of male feeds the young much if at all.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
GB1

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Originally Posted by efw
4-Ss

4?

starling.

G
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
G
Had a lib acquaintance who once told me that those Great Grackles were endangered. I told him “yes, yes they are.”

America, Our Country and we’re taking it back.
E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Originally Posted by efw
4-Ss

4?

Ha touché

Ummm

Sleep well?

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Good enough.

I am MAGA.
IC B2

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I stacked grackles like cord wood as a kid. Browning sa-22 and Remington subsonics...

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Geno pretty well covered it.

Calldumb/lostbitch60 threatened to tattle on me for shooting magpies.

He's real up on things you know.
Well, I almost hate to admit it, but upon further reading.........................one may need a "permit" declaring the things a nuisance or health problem.

Once again, we're in the realm of dealing with "authorities"

Seems, from my reading just now, house sparrows and starlings, and the big doves with the collar are not protected as they are non-native AND invasive.

Good thing, as a few more will likely die around here this year.

Haven't seen a grackle in these parts yet. Noisy bastards as I recall, and not a pleasant noise.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
F-CKING Grackles here, you have to be real careful if you're eating in your car or truck because as soon as you turn your head they will swoop in and steal your fries or whatever else they can carry off to eat.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Seems, from my reading just now, house sparrows and starlings, and the big doves with the collar are not protected as they are non-native AND invasive.

Good thing, as a few more will likely die around here this year.

Haven't seen a grackle in these parts yet. Noisy bastards as I recall, and not a pleasant noise.

Yepper, non-native, not protected. And if you’re trapping house sparrows and starlings out of purple Martin or bluebird houses, well heck, their heads just pull right off, minimal effort.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
SSS, they are not even remotely endangered, but beware Karen neighbors.

Exactly, nobody gives a chit except for the "they were here first, we are guests in their territory" types. Yeah, BS. Lived in the valley here in AZ for a few years as a kid. Never saw or heard one of those aggressive, obnoxious, loud bastards back in the early 80's. Now they are everywhere here. Racket like you can't believe.

Most disliked bird for me, above the crow, and that's saying a lot. The shrill calls these cocky bastards puts out just pierces my ears. Impossible to enjoy a nice day outside with any semblance of peace and quiet. Or at least it was....

First moved back a couple years ago, and wanted to get the Gambel's quail in the yard and started spreading seed for them. The n1ger birds moved in, and took over. Couldn't get hummers to the feeders because these fuggers would try and chase down the hummers to kill them. Seen grackles take off after hummers several times like they would a grasshopper. Oh no the fug you aren't!

I've heard that doing a "sniper's hide" kind of thing and zapping them fuggers from inside the house through a slightly cracked open door or window with a quiet pellet rifle won't alert the Karens of the neighborhood, beyond the occasional dead grackle in their yard.

Whatever someone is doing is working. I hear one of them bastards anywhere near my yard now, and all I have to do is walk outside and out from under the patio, and any grackle within 50 yards or so scoots right off with a few alarm vocalizations anytime I step out from under the patio and come into view. I'm now fortunate to have pretty much (apparently) a recognized grackle no fly zone around my place for a good enough area that they don't bother much anymore. The occasional dumb one or newcomer seems to show up every now and then (for a short...very short time anyway), but for the most part they sure must have a pretty good sense of self preservation, because those are few and far between these days.

Hate them, but never said they were dumb.

Guns are responsible for killing as much as Rosie O'Donnel's fork is responsible for her being FAT.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I neer saw a grackle here, until lately. The first ones that I saw was in Oklahoma, the first time that I went to the
Quemado shindig. They were in every parking lot where people would throw out french fries and other left over food. I knew they were not any bird that I had ever seen, so I asked around and they turned out to be grackles. Now you see them here in the same places, parking lots. I don't have them at my house. Strarlings migrate through, and we have red-wing blackbirds year round. They nest aroung most anyplace there is standing water. miles

Last edited by milespatton; 04/13/24. Reason: correct spelling

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
[bleep] a bunch of Grackles.

--- CAUGHT IN THE CROSSFIRE --- A Magic Time To Be An Illegal In America---
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
They are more pleasant to listen to than Cankles or Kneepads.

-OMotS

"If memory serves fails me..."
Quote: ( unnamed) "been prtty deep in the cooler todaay "

Television and radio are most effective when people question little and think even less.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I like grackles.

At least they run off the starlings.

Both will spread coccidiosis to your animals.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Once upon a time,way before it was unlawful.The was a game played in texas backyards.It was called gobs of grackles.Throw out some bird seed sit on the couch with the back door open.The Trophy ones,the males with their dark purple iridescent glowing in the early morning raysare nice,but we r after the grackles factories the females.The weapon of choice is a beeman r1 .20 caliber pellet rifle.The standing record is 7 although anything over 4 is worthy.After careful selection in my target rich backyard,u bust a female or two w/o spooking the rest,only headshots count and when they pile up u just wait for another to hop over to c what's up with their girlfriend u bust them too.After a while u can make a pretty good pile of feathers and cat food for cheap.Good entertainment and u can work on your trigger pull,breath control and it ain't as intense as bowhunting but when ur u ain't got nothing else to do,cept sip and dip,smoke and poke,I think the demorats have suspended the rule of law so if they ain't enforcing TREASON.........What's a migratory bird law or two?If ya think their endangered,your wrong,and the only thing endangered is your way of life here in the USA.Your gonna need the practice,so what r u waiting for?Pictures r it dont count😎

Rehab is for quitters!
THEY are all guilty!
Name one honest politician!
DEFINE Treason.
God bless the USA
Democrats ARE the plague!
RINO'S need to be hunted!
Who's a bigger puzzy than Paul Ryan? Mike Pence? John Kerry ?
REELECT NOBODY! Except Trump
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
My buddy would prop up the dead ones with twigs and sticks
to bring in more targets.

--- CAUGHT IN THE CROSSFIRE --- A Magic Time To Be An Illegal In America---
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by poboy
My buddy would prop up the dead ones with twigs and sticks
to bring in more targets.

laugh

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I think I know him🤣😁😎

Rehab is for quitters!
THEY are all guilty!
Name one honest politician!
DEFINE Treason.
God bless the USA
Democrats ARE the plague!
RINO'S need to be hunted!
Who's a bigger puzzy than Paul Ryan? Mike Pence? John Kerry ?
REELECT NOBODY! Except Trump
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
had the game warden at my house a few times as neighbors where finding dead birds in there yards, i ask the warden birds just don't die. also told him if i shoot them they dont fly off to die, last time they where here i had a suet cake out with 5 starling laying dead under it, said go look at them, all head shots

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Never heard of a "Grackle"
I thought it was slang for blacks. ( go read the thread again)

Roy

What this world needs is a few more Rednecks.

The Dildō Of Consequence Rarely Arrives Lubed

Waterboarding isn't illegal if you use diesel

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

479 members (260Remguy, 1_deuce, 260madman, 280shooter, 1minute, 160user, 55 invisible), 2,517 guests, and 1,289 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,856
Posts18,478,531
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.