Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Wow you've tent camped out of the back of a pickup your killing it.
How does Stick say it " Bless your heart for trying" LOL

Last edited by sherm_61; 04/13/24.
GB1

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by sherm_61
Originally Posted by Blackheart
Last fall I hunted Region G in Wyoming camped in my wall tent at 7800' and every morning climbed to 9500' have you ever dont that in your life Blackheart? Come on out and try it once then tell me when a good buck jumps up your gonna shoot off hand while your blowing your lungs out.
I've tent camped and tracked deer 10 miles in a day in the Adirondacks. How about you ? The fact is, you have no clue what it's like here. At least I've been there.
Your a joke
I'm not the one making up every excuse in the book for having to shoot game at long range.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I keep hearing comments that are intended to be derogatory toward anyone that kills an animal a distance. And in those comments, he will hear statements like a true rifleman, or an ethical hunter, etc…

Comments like you should be able to shoot offhand under a certain period of time. Or comments that are condemning to those who are different than them, they need a concrete bench or a ledge sled.

Seriously gentleman, do you really believe what you’re shoveling?
There is no doubt that there are inadequate, slob hunters , or whatever definition you wanna make on people who hunt at short range, mid range, and at long range. And this would be true, regardless of the type of weapon they choose to hunt with.

There are a multitude of definitions of what a true rifleman is.
I’m pretty sure that the definition of a hunter has changed over the last 500 years, and then when you want to make that definition and bring it out to other countries, that definition would even have more diversity.

Choose the one you like, or to find it for yourself.

The foolishness of you gentlemen, who are condemning others who are different than you, while at the same time being so self-righteous.

I’m just curious if you really believe in your heart that your words are so meaningful to the others who are different than you?

I wonder….if the same men would consider the top-tier SF and government snipers as true rifleman?

Ernie "The Un-Tactical"

[Linked Image]
http://sebrests-usa.com/
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Dude270
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by Dude270
I saw that video a little while back. It's an excellent example of the lies a lot of us tell ourselves.

I really enjoy shooting out to 1000 yards (about as far as I can get) but I've realized about 450 and in is where I can consistently make hits in field conditions.

It may be "lies", for some guys that don't shoot that far very often. A lot of guys have a hard time shooting 100 yards. Then again, there are a lot of guys I know that don't have any issue at all shooting at 600 yards. As an example, one of the targets I shoot at, in competition, is a rabbit silhouette at 611 yards. No rear rest and from the prone, off a pack or bipod. 400-500 yards is short range, for some guys. That's where I set the steel chucks at, and they are only 3" wide. At 400 yards, a good shooter and rifle should produce sub 1" groups. Even most of my hunting rifles will shoot 2" groups at 400 yards. It's really not that far of a shot, if you are set up right.

I agree with you 100%.

I'm just making the point that there are a lot of guys running around with a cheap vortex with knobs and unconfirmed dope on their rifles that absolutely believe they are somehow now 600 yard hunters even though they have never shot their rifle at a target past 100 yards.

Good point.. I'm sure a lot of us have seen that.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
P
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
P
Some of you folks remind me of drivers. Any one driving slower that you is a Sunday driver or a blue hair that shouldn't be allowed on the road, anyone driving faster is a dangerous idiot. We all seem to be experts at something.

Elevation is math
Windage is Voodoo
IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by xphunter
I keep hearing comments that are intended to be derogatory toward anyone that kills an animal a distance. And in those comments, he will hear statements like a true rifleman, or an ethical hunter, etc…

Comments like you should be able to shoot offhand under a certain period of time. Or comments that are condemning to those who are different than them, they need a concrete bench or a ledge sled.

Seriously gentleman, do you really believe what you’re shoveling?
There is no doubt that there are inadequate, slob hunters , or whatever definition you wanna make on people who hunt at short range, mid range, and at long range. And this would be true, regardless of the type of weapon they choose to hunt with.

There are a multitude of definitions of what a true rifleman is.
I’m pretty sure that the definition of a hunter has changed over the last 500 years, and then when you want to make that definition and bring it out to other countries, that definition would even have more diversity.

Choose the one you like, or to find it for yourself.

The foolishness of you gentlemen, who are condemning others who are different than you, while at the same time being so self-righteous.

I’m just curious if you really believe in your heart that your words are so meaningful to the others who are different than you?

I wonder….if the same men would consider the top-tier SF and government snipers as true rifleman?

Great post XP hunter. I think maybe we need to be very aware of our own capabilities. We should all know those, and don't overstep those capabilities. I like to be sure of my shot, it doesn't matter what distance I'm shooting, I generally know if I can or can't make the shot. I've passed up some nice bucks and elk because I know my own abilities, and the shot just wasn't there!!!. Sometimes shooting in a blowing windstorm/rain storm, or in the snow, even a 100-200 yard shot off the hind legs may not be doable. Practice at all distances, and in different positions, is the only way we are going to know our own capabilities. How many guys actually are out there pulling the trigger that much though? I know I am, but what about the majority of the guys here??? How many really shoot "longrange" every week??? How many here shoot in longrange competitions, or even fun online challenges? Or how many just want to pat themselves on the back, when they shoot a 1/2" 3 shot group at 100 yards??

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Pint Creamer Carton Challenge by Blackheart YT Channel

So, I've just spent an hour of my life which I will never get back googling the size of elk vitals vs. whitetail vitals, calculating the area of various diameter circles vs. the area of a milk jug, measuring the smallest dimension of a milk jug (5 3/4 inches) vs. other containers in my fridge (3 inches for a pint carton) vs. the max group size to hit said objects 100% of the time, comparing the oblongish shape of said vitals vs. the uprightish shape of milk jugs and other containers in my fridge and I've come to the science-based conclusion that elk vitals are to a milk jug what whitetail vitals are to a pint of 1/2 & 1/2.

Soooo, given my fellow Easterner, Blackheart's contention that a rifleman can hit a milk jug regularly off-hand at 100 yards (despite Blackheart's contrary and caustic personality, I agree with almost 50% of what he says including this)(sherm_61, quite a few BH types out here but, in-person if you just give them their schitt right back at them, they're mostly pussy cats and sometimes pretty decent dudes), hows about we do an Eastern Challenge: 100 pint creamer cartons set up in the woods at from 50 to 125 yards to be shot off-hand? My money says Mr. Blackheart struggles to put up numbers equal to the Backfire cast of characters on their milk jugs. Then extrapolating from BH's conclusion, we can say that nobody should shoot at elk more than 200 yards away and deer at more than 50 yards. laugh

"One should not talk to a skilled hunter about what is forbidden by the Buddha."

- Hsiang-yen by way of Gary Snyder
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I've tent camped and tracked deer 10 miles a day in the Adirondacks. How about you ? The fact is, you have no clue what it's like here. At least I've been there.

How do you know you tracked the deer 10Mi?

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by 1eyedmule

So, I've just spent an hour of my life which I will never get back googling the size of elk vitals vs. whitetail vitals, calculating the area of various diameter circles vs. the area of a milk jug, measuring the smallest dimension of a milk jug (5 3/4 inches) vs. other containers in my fridge (3 inches for a pint carton) vs. the max group size to hit said objects 100% of the time, comparing the oblongish shape of said vitals vs. the uprightish shape of milk jugs and other containers in my fridge and I've come to the science-based conclusion that elk vitals are to a milk jug what whitetail vitals are to a pint of 1/2 & 1/2.

Soooo, given my fellow Easterner, Blackheart's contention that a rifleman can hit a milk jug regularly off-hand at 100 yards (despite Blackheart's contrary and caustic personality, I agree with almost 50% of what he says including this)(sherm_61, quite a few BH types out here but, in-person if you just give them their schitt right back at them, they're mostly pussy cats and sometimes pretty decent dudes), hows about we do an Eastern Challenge: 100 pint creamer cartons set up in the woods at from 50 to 125 yards to be shot off-hand? My money says Mr. Blackheart struggles to put up numbers equal to the Backfire cast of characters on their milk jugs. Then extrapolating from BH's conclusion, we can say that nobody should shoot at elk more than 200 yards away and deer at more than 50 yards. laugh
Point one, I rarely shoot at deer more than 75 yards away. Point 2, I practice shooting offhand through spring, summer and fall from 65 yards {all I have in my back yard} and can consistently hit a 2" target at that range. How consistently ? My son and I have weekend competitions where one of us shoots at a 2" target until we miss, then the other shoots until a miss. My record is 78 times in a row. Point 3, each season a day or two before the opener I step out back and put a couple groups on paper offhand with the rifle I'll be hunting with. Last season I shot two 3 shot groups from 50 yards. The first 3 shot group measured 3/4". The "second 3 shot group a hair over an inch. At 6:58 the next morning, I shot a buck offhand from approximately 45 yards. Not surprisingly I hit him exactly where I intended. A whitetails vitals or a milk jug at 100 is comparatively easy.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Last fall I hunted Region G in Wyoming camped in my wall tent at 7800' and every morning climbed to 9500' have you ever dont that in your life Blackheart? Come on out and try it once then tell me when a good buck jumps up your gonna shoot off hand while your blowing your lungs out.

Been there. Done that. Loved it. Can't wait til fall to do it again. It's hard as schit. Mentally drains you and physically whoops your azz. And I'm in damn good shape!

Helps to be able to dial and shoot beyond 500. Big time!

IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by 1eyedmule

Point one, I rarely shoot at deer more than 75 yards away. Point 2, I practice shooting offhand through spring, summer and fall from 65 yards {all I have in my back yard} and can consistently hit a 2" target at that range. How consistently ? My son and I have weekend competitions where one of us shoots at a 2" target until we miss, then the other shoots until a miss. My record is 78 times in a row. Point 3, each season a day or two before the opener I step out back and put a couple groups on paper offhand with the rifle I'll be hunting with. Last season I shot two 3 shot groups from 50 yards. The first 3 shot group measured 3/4". The "second 3 shot group a hair over an inch. At 6:58 the next morning, I shot a buck offhand from approximately 45 yards. Not surprisingly I hit him exactly where I intended. A whitetails vitals or a milk jug at 100 is comparatively easy.

That's some awesome marksmanship, my friend, certainly better than I'm capable of. But, you're missing my point.

"One should not talk to a skilled hunter about what is forbidden by the Buddha."

- Hsiang-yen by way of Gary Snyder
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
First, I have to give those four guys a ton of credit for putting themselves out there, and Harmer for setting up some pretty realistic challenges in the field.

Those two videos pretty much affirm my experience and observation when it comes to shooting longer ranges in the field, the biggest are the abilities to accurately range and dope wind.

I'm sure there are now at least 5000 viewers of those videos who all beleive they could do a lot better.

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by alpinecrick
First, I have to give those four guys a ton of credit for putting themselves out there, and Harmer for setting up some pretty realistic challenges in the field.

Those two videos pretty much affirm my experience and observation when it comes to shooting longer ranges in the field, the biggest are the abilities to accurately range and dope wind.

I'm sure there are now at least 5000 viewers of those videos who all beleive they could do a lot better.

The problem is at the end of the video- even after shooting so inconsistently - most of those shooters STILL were not honest with themselves as to their true effective range. That "guide's" lack of self-awareness was stunning.

Based on what I saw, they ALL need to invest in more time and ammunition training to get their skill levels up.

Until they do that- NONE of those guys has any business shooting at a live big game animal past 300 yards if they are trully interested in a clean, humane kill.

Last edited by jk16; 04/14/24.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by jk16
The problem is at the end of the video- even after shooting so inconsistently - most of those shooters STILL were not honest with themselves as to their true effective range. That "guide's" lack of self-awareness was stunning.

Based on what I saw, they ALL need to invest in more time and ammunition training to get their skill levels up.

Until they do that- NONE of those guys has any business shooting at a live big game animal past 300 yards if they are trully interested in a clean, humane kill.

Undoubtedly Mr Harm is getting a ton of “feedback” from viewers claiming they could do better, and there should be a second Milk Jug Challenge.

If there is another Milk Jug Challenge, my prediction is it will be quite humbling to the next batch of confident long range shooters.

Mr Harm is probably figuring out how to really monetize this…..

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The milk jug challenge is lame

The milk jug challenge captivates the wonder of the crowd who, as stick would say, haven’t made enough spent primers to even fill a thimble

Go to your local club’s precision match

Go to your local club’s F-class match

Go to a PRS or Practial Rifle Match

At any of these gatherings, you will get to the reality of things in a hurry

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by rcamuglia

The milk jug challenge captivates the wonder of the crowd who, as stick would say, haven’t made enough spent primers to even fill a thimble

My sportsmans club doesn't have any of that. They have a 100 yard range chopped through the woods with one bench that I have to myself 95% of the time.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
City Boy Clubs... laugh

As mentioned:
LR roving steel matches, PRS, NRL, F-Class (F-Open or F-TR) and the like.
You may have to travel a bit but there are shooting opportunities.
It may take some effort, but find a place where you can set up some portable steel targets or paper targets at different distances. Find a friend and just the two of you shoot against each other for precision and time is a fun, and can be enlightening.

After we did some drop confirmations earlier, Dan decided to challenge me for time and hits on 5 10" steel targets at: 400, 496, 575, 645, and 673 yards. We called impacts and corrections for each other.
That day were were shooting the 130 ELD-M's @2532 fps. A far cry from a speedster.
The first video will give you what my portable targets look like and what the 6.5x47 Lapua, Kauger Arms Black Widow looks like...The targets are nothing special, but they work fine. Dan went first.
When I shot, Dan videoed me shooting, but you can't really see much, since it was just a cell phone. You cannot hear all of the impacts. We had a wind from our left at about 10mph. It was fairly consistent, most of the time.

Ernie "The Un-Tactical"

[Linked Image]
http://sebrests-usa.com/
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H

My sportsmans club doesn't have any of that. They have a 100 yard range chopped through the woods with one bench that I have to myself 95% of the time.

I'd still like to know how you know you tracked a deer 10Mi in a day?

And, just for future reference you might find this handy. Did you know bees and dogs can smell fear?

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

It’s the reality of hunting we’re referring to. The efficacy of RF’s, doping the wind without wind flags, seemed to present challenges those guys weren’t prepared for.

There’s a ton of people who are every bit as confident as those guys probably were that believe they could do better.

Casey

Having said that, MAGA.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Assuming I'd use a rifle/load I'd actually hunt big game with, I'd be up for trying the challenge, but, I'd only want to shoot about 20 rounds then I'd want a significant break. 7#-9# "big game" rifles without a break have enough recoil that my form and concentration suffer. Others may be perfectly capable of way more shooting/recoil/muzzle-blast, I'm just stating one of the parameters I'd need to have up front.

I've got a 16# 243AI I use for F-Class that I know I can shoot reasonably well for 50+ rounds in an afternoon, but, that sort of defeats the purpose of the whole "600yd Hunting Rifle" portion of the challenge because I'm not carrying that thing very far, nor can I shoot it off-hand worth a darn.

Last edited by horse1; 04/16/24.

Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

607 members (1OntarioJim, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 1Longbow, 10gaugemag, 160user, 65 invisible), 2,470 guests, and 1,354 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,189
Posts18,484,895
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.