Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
257Bob Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I recently assembled a DIY pre-fit 308, my second very similar 308, so I decided to make this one a bit different by going with a scope unlike anything I've used in the past (all scopes are some form of Duplex, SFP), the new scope is a Leupold Mark 4HD 2.5-10x42, FFP, PR1-MOA, non-illuminated (the FFP & MOA are new to me). I've only had the scope/rifle to the range once and it was just to dial it in and check rifle for accuracy, did not check tracking by any means. Much to my surprise, the rifle liked the Hornady Spire Point 165s the best at .291" three-shot, the match ammo was .437".

To my question, I like this scope but have not used it for hunting, some same non-illuminated, FFP not so great for hunting, can't say myself but I'm most interested in what would be considered max range for a 10x scope, speaking target here, not live game (that to come later with practice, dialing for MOA and MOA trajectory confirmation).

I've heard all sorts of ideas/formulas, such at 1x per 100 yards, etc...

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

GB1

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by 257Bob
To my question, I like this scope but have not used it for hunting, some same non-illuminated, FFP not so great for hunting, can't say myself but I'm most interested in what would be considered max range for a 10x scope, speaking target here, not live game (that to come later with practice, dialing for MOA and MOA trajectory confirmation).

That also depends on the reticle and the type/size of target.

257Bob Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by mathman
Originally Posted by 257Bob

That also depends on the reticle and the type/size of target.

Let's say a 10" target with this reticle.

Last edited by 257Bob; 04/17/24.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I`ve found 10x suites me to 1k and change.

Remember, magnification magnifies everything, to include your heart beat, shakes, unsteady rest, conditions, etc.

Learned that lesson years ago shooting HP at 6,8,9, and1k, any rifle, any sight, prone with sling. (I was to my eye, rock steady with my irons) At 20x I could not hold the x ring at 6. That plays with your brain.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
If the "glass" is up to it the center of that reticle will bracket that pretty nicely at 500 yards.

IC B2

257Bob Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by CGPAUL
I`ve found 10x suites me to 1k and change.

Remember, magnification magnifies everything, to include your heart beat, shakes, unsteady rest, conditions, etc.

Learned that lesson years ago shooting HP at 6,8,9, and1k, any rifle, any sight, prone with sling. (I was to my eye, rock steady with my irons) At 20x I could not hold the x ring at 6. That plays with your brain.

I get that! "irons" are out for me these days, vision not what it once was. I see "competitive" shooters with lots of Xs on their scopes, I'm wondering how they take advantage of all that magniification?

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Having a low power scope to hide heartbeat doesn't mean it isn't there still. I shot NX8 4-32 on both my LR rifles and subscribe to the saying aim small shoot small. Ask 1,000 BRor F- Class guys why they shoot the power they do.
I would rather haver the power and not need it and need it and not have it, if you can shoot say a 24x scope at 500 then a 10x I bet you pick the 24× variable as long as clarity and reticle are equal

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by sherm_61
Having a low power scope to hide heartbeat doesn't mean it isn't there still.

True, but not seeing it helps to avoid a bad feedback loop.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I shoot my NX8 on 28x at 665 during load development and with the small dot I can center it up on a 3" black circle with a 2" white one on top of it, try that with most low power scopes not happening.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Ask 1,000 BRor F- Class guys why they shoot the power they do.

Formula One racing vs. grocery getting.

Horses for courses.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Max distance for a given magnification depends on two things: your ability to resolve the POA, and reticle subtension versus target size. You need to be able to see the target in the image, and you need to be able to see the aiming point behind the reticle. I can make 10x magnification work well beyond 1000 yards, if everything else is in place (optical quality, target size, reticle).

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Having a low power scope to hide heartbeat doesn't mean it isn't there still.

True, but not seeing it helps to avoid a bad feedback loop.
Seeing it tells you you better control it or learn how

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Ask 1,000 BRor F- Class guys why they shoot the power they do.

Formula One racing vs. grocery getting.

Horses for courses.
There is absolutely no reason to not be able to shoot small or grocery get unless your a minute of deer or elk guy and that's whats wrong with LR hunting.
Both my LR guns are grocery getter but will also shoot small, right tools for the job.

Last edited by sherm_61; 04/17/24.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
A couple of years ago, for kicks I shot a practical rifle match with a SWFA 10x just to prove that you don’t have to spend thousands on a scope to be able to compete. I placed 2nd overall.

I’m not saying that it’s ideal for LR precision shooting, but you can do some pretty decent and precise work with a 10x, depending on target, reticle, and glass.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Doesn't matter to me, I want everything stacked in my favor. I'm also looking for better than decent.
I dont compete but when I started gettinging into LR about 20 years ago I figured out quick my 3x9 Leupolds weren't gonna cut it.

Last edited by sherm_61; 04/17/24.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Doesn't matter to me, I want everything stacked in my favor. I'm also looking for better than decent.
I dont compete but when I started gettinging into LR about 20 years ago I figured out quick my 3x9 Leupolds weren't gonna cut it.
For a dedicated LR rig, I’m with you. But for a LR hunting rifle, there are downsides to high magnification and the scope package it comes in.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
For a dedicated LR rig, I’m with you. But for a LR hunting rifle, there are downsides to high magnification and the scope package it comes in.
That's why I have a variables, take a 10 power scope set up a 5" Bull at 1,000 can you see it? My bet is not a 10x scope out there you can center up on it.
So how do you really know how well your gun shoots if you can't hold center on a Bull on whatever target your shooting at

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Like I posted earlier i would rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it.
Theres one thing I also learned you need every advantage you can get that includes good equipment, the right equipment, good shooting guns (.5 moa) minimum at the furthest distance you intend on shooting

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
That's why I have a variables, take a 10 power scope set up a 5" Bull at 1,000 can you see it? My bet is not a 10x scope out there you can center up on it.
So how do you really know how well your gun shoots if you can't hold center on a Bull on whatever target your shooting at
By quartering the target. No need to hold hard on a 5” Bull at 1000 for BG hunting.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
You never answered my question how do you know how well your gun shoots doing load development if you can't even hold center or close to a 5" in circle on a paper target? You have easily induced 3-4" of error in your groups

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

574 members (1OntarioJim, 10gaugeman, 1234, 06hunter59, 10ring1, 160user, 60 invisible), 2,253 guests, and 1,311 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,924
Posts18,479,785
Members73,953
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.