Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by viking
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Nice bike, the “Adventure” version with engine guard (AKA “slider”) fog lamps and luggage. I had that same slider installed on mine at the time of purchase, it might help protect the plastic when it falls over.

Along those lines next purchases will be a luggage rack and a set of big aluminum panniers. I have heard they make the bike easier to pick up again when it does fall over. An important consideration for us Boomer types.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
Originally Posted by kwg020
The KLR finally arrived.

Mid-life crisis purchase.

Hadn’t thrown a leg over a motorcycle in 14 years.

Turns out I still remember how it’s done.

200 mile trip from the dealer today, the manual said not to take it over 60mph for the first 150 miles, I wanted to get that over with ASAP, after that not to exceed 88mph for the first 500. Not exceeding 88mph generally ain’t a problem for a KLR grin tho it can get there if you’re patient. Useful acceleration Peter’s out at about 85.

This is peak migration weekend so I was gonna ride it to the coast and birdwatch, spend the night down there on the beach/give Rog a call, birdwatch Sunday then ride home up I 37 by dark.

But… it was sustained 20mph S winds gusting to 30+ from the Gulf of Mexico, forecast to continue overnight into tomorrow. Perfect for migrating birds, even a warbler can hit 40-50 in those conditions. Sucks for birders tho, the birds don’t stop at the coast they keep on trucking inland. Not much fun to ride a motorcycle in either.

So…. 102 miles from the dealership to Presidio La Bahia, Goliad, change of plans, then 120 miles back to my driveway, the last 70 miles of which were more entertaining.

[Linked Image from ]

[Linked Image from ]
My local Kawasaki dealer has a bright red 650s setting on the show room floor. The color even matches my new Chevy pickup. Getting the wife's approval is just a bridge too far.

kwg

If you DO buy it, be aware that Kawasaki plastic is notorious for fading, which is why I wanted a white one. Reviews say the KLR “s” version like mine has better suspension, with less travel they made it stiffer.
We have almost 8 months of cold and wet weather up here north of Kansas City. Unfortunately, the motorcycles spend most of their time in the shed waiting for warmer weather.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
I took mine for a little spin today.. get it up to 70-80 and the air was cold.

Mine has an outlet for charging too.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Damn good looking scooter there Birdie, hope you enjoy it.

Be safe & feel the wind.

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Mine has an outlet for charging too.

$125 for the parts for me if I want to add it, dunno how hard an install it would be. One thing it did say is the charging outlet is not waterproof.

I had a BMW R100 gs/pd for a couple of years that had heated handgrips. I swear even in cold weather you could ride in a t-shirt as long as you were holding on to the hot grips. Weird. I dunno if your bike came with them but it seems like the factory option could be worth it. I have read they have upped the alternator output on these latest KLRs to handle all these accessories.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
IC B2

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
That white looks a lot nicer than the other colors I've seen. I'm sure it'll be fun.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Dam they are heavy though……..

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Nice! Congrats on the new ride.

I’ve ridden a new klr, but not the S version. I bet the lower seat changes the feel quite a bit.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by 257_X_50
Dam they are heavy though……..

Hey, it’s all relative 🥴 at 460lbs wet, it’s 80lbs lighter than a Honda’s Africa Twin, 100lbs lighter than BMW’s BMW’s 1250 GS. Anyhow, for me the KLR ain’t a dirt bike, it’s a dirt road bike, same as my last one.

A main concern of mine at my age is will I be able to pick it up by myself when it falls over.

As for the Africa reference, 460 lbs sounds already crazy for a motorcycle to cross Africa with. A friend years ago rode across the Sahara from Ghana to Morocco on a 125cc street legal dirt bike, maybe a tad small but made a lot of sense. It got him there and freeway speeds weren’t an issue.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
The KLR has a good sized fuel tank though.

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
The KLR has a good sized fuel tank though.

Yep, I put in 200 miles today, prob’ly another 70 miles range left in the tank.

170 miles round trip yesterday to meet up with some old riding buds at Black’s Barbecue joint in Lockhart.

[Linked Image from ]

200.7 miles today, beginning with the traditional Sunday morning ride to Bandera. Bandera is getting buried in people but the OST restaurant is still a good place for a Western omelette, grits, biscuit and coffee..

[Linked Image from ]

Anyone who gets out of town on a motorcycle around here knows about the Bandera - Medina - Vanderpool - Leaky Hill Country route, The tight Vanderpool - Leaky section being the equal of any motorcycle road in the US. I stopped in at the Leaky Cemetery, where the victims of the last know Indian raid in Texas are buried.

[Linked Image from ]

Heading back south of Vanderpool I was doing about 60 on a two-lane backroad when Pancho the bandit boy on a sportbike blitzed by me in a blur from behind about 6ft to my right doing well in excess of 100mph. Glad I didn’t see him coming, if I woulda moved right he coulda hit me and we both would have died.

Turns out he had been running for 60 - 70 miles by that point, handed off between counties. Two deputies sped past shortly thereafter in hot pursuit.

Anyhoo…. almost only counts in horseshoes. Back at the house now 589 miles on the clock, where it’s gonna sit until I get time to bring it in for the 600 mile service 🙂

1 member likes this: 257 roberts
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Pancho unveiled 😂

Musta been running on fumes when he blew by me…..

his horse ran out of gas just a couple of miles further on. I’d turned left by that point, so didn’t see him stranded.

LINK

Maybe he’s a Comanche.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That dumbass was home free... Ran outa gas? Dumbass...

----------------------------------------
I'm a big fan of the courtesy flush.
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Nobody hurt, no mention of priors? Sounds like the Deputies I saw gave up the pursuit at the county line right before he ran out of gas.

OK, I’ll ‘fess up, if knew all that and if I woulda gone straight through Utopia towards Sabinal and seen the guy stranded by the side of the road, I’d consider giving him a ride 😂

Too many miles at lunatic speeds back in the days on motorcycles here. Generally speaking, we weren’t dumb enough to run tho.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
...Heading back south of Vanderpool I was doing about 60 on a two-lane backroad when Pancho the bandit boy on a sportbike blitzed by me in a blur from behind about 6ft to my right doing well in excess of 100mph. Glad I didn’t see him coming, if I woulda moved right he coulda hit me and we both would have died...
Same thing happened to me running up Idaho 21, a local twisty road favored by motorcyclists and apparently, [bleep] kids.

Going 60 on a straight section of the two lane road, didn't hear anything when suddenly a guy passes me properly on the left in the other lane. I was about to move over to the right when his buddy passes me doing a good 40 mph faster in my same lane on the right. 1 second later and we both would have splatted. The same thing happened on a 4 lane interstate with lots of open space around me, going about 70 when some guy flashes by me in my same lane going at least 40-50 mph faster.

Got back into riding in 2014 after a 40 year absence but sold my last bike last summer. In the intervening 9 years I never once had a close call with a 4 wheeled vehicle but was almost killed twice by dumbshit kids on super sports.

Which doesn't stop me from following threads like this and still sorta kinda going window shopping at the local motorcycle dealers, just to see what's new... wink

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I put an honest 25k on my '04 first gen KLR. Have to say, I loved every single mile on it. Situation changed and I had to pick up a new dual sport. Test rode a gen 2 klr and was not impressed at all. Also rode an Honda XR650L wasn't quite what I was after. Then.... I Tried out a Suzuki Dr650 and everything just came together. Was the best of everything. It was truly the Swiss army knife of motorcycles. It did everything my ole KLR did... if not better and many things it couldn't do. This month I just rolled over 24k on her and put new shoes on her. I can say that I don't know if I will ever go without a DR ever again.... which in 25+years of riding I can't say about any other bike...street or dirt... that I've ever owned.

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same... President Ronald Reagan
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Well it depends on your riding, I was a Honda guy since the early 80’s, then inherited my father’s Electra glide, and I love that extra weight, because most of my riding at 64 is highways and cruising, and that weight feels a lot better in the wind, and truck wash. And surprisingly, because I’m no hotshot, I can throw it into turns as well as my old Nighthawk S.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by MadMooner
Nice! Congrats on the new ride.

I’ve ridden a new klr, but not the S version. I bet the lower seat changes the feel quite a bit.

I picked up an S over the weekend, figuratively, as no way, no how can I pick it up! Stumbled into it after almost getting a little KLX230, for not much extra. I'm still evaluating but it feels to me like I'll want a taller seat, something S+ but not the tall bike, it's too high. Short legged long torso. Weather's been no joy. Will likely head west to the coast in a couple few weeks. Straight base 650S. Got stuff ordered to add on. Pannier racks for my soft bags, alloy handlebar, low-profile drain plug, metal foot pegs, RamX phone mount, wrap-around handguards, power outlet, "$12 not $100". I'm not doing the doohiky or ThermoBob for now

So, I had a kickass DR650 up until a few years ago. It was more powerful and I think way more robust. This KLR is, well, expensive and fragile looking, and lacks balls. Apparently the headlight assembly is $900+, front side plastic bs over $1200? God-damned key isn't just a normal key. But they did ok on suspension, it's EFI, has a stout tail rack, functional fairing and better than nothing skidplate. Basically ready to go with a duffle on the back. . Really like the auxiliary lights on the adventure model and might do something like that. The panniers on the adv are a joke as is the USB outlet. Farkles galore. Nothing beyond dirt two tracks I'm thinking. Putt putt.

Will see after the Oregon trip if it'll be 4-Sale.

KLR 650SS, short slow.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Steelruger22
I can say that I don't know if I will ever go without a DR ever again.... which in 25+years of riding I can't say about any other bike...street or dirt... that I've ever owned.

If there’s any bike that could give me buyer’s remorse with a KLR, it’s the DR650.

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer
[quote=MadMooner]The panniers on the adv are a joke as is the USB Will see after the Oregon trip if it'll be 4-Sale.

I’d be interested in how you find it. I’m kinda/sorta planning to ride mine to NY State this summer. I’ve always used soft luggage, and don’t want a big heavy duty bolt on pannier rack.

For $34 including mailing have the stock Kawasaki “side cases, fitting kit” for their OEM hard luggage inbound:

[Linked Image from ]

3dcycle parts.com makes quick-detach HDPE pannier plates to fit for $160.

Prob’ly gonna go with Nelson-Rigg tank and saddlebags. I like the luggage rack but I wish it had more attachment points, I’m pretty sure larger one that bolt on to the existing one are available.

Mine also wears the engine guard (AKA “slider”) that comes on the “Adventure” version.

KLR 650SS, short slow.

Indeed, requires some serious power management to dog the fast guys on a backroad 😀. Seems to keep up with traffic OK up to 85-90 on the Interstate tho.

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

349 members (1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 2ndwind, 309coug, 17CalFan, 16penny, 34 invisible), 2,586 guests, and 1,087 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,757
Posts18,514,872
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.