Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Well, the rifle showed up at it's destination today. 7 days exactly after I mailed it.
Will not go through this again!
Thanks,
melvin

GB1

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Kampfeld Customs mailed my rifle back to me an individual with no problem,last week.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Melvin
Will not go through this again!
Thanks,
melvin
Yeah, we know. You already informed everyone that you're a quitter. Ad nauseum. tired

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum.

Originally Posted by safariman
I do tend to fit in well wherever I go in person.

Originally Posted by Fireball2
The campfire is the most outside exposure I get. No TV, no newspaper.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I also can't understand what the big deal is... I ship and receive all kinds of stuff through the USPS and have never had any problems going either way.

Methinks some of us here are too easily discouraged.

When I move to a new area I find myself having to politely educate the people at my new PO as to laws and USPS policy because many of them have NEVER shipped a rifle but once they're "on the program" I never have any more problems with them.

It's really quite easy and worry free. I strongly suggest that you always insure packages. I think it must get them special handling because I've never even had a damage problem either.

It can't be all luck that after years and years of buying and selling and shipping stuff that I'm continually lucky.

I think that also packaging is VERY important and I go through a lot of Scotch Packaging Tape rolls dispensed from tape guns.

Note to the newbies... Wal-Mart bags, and many other store plastic bags, make a great and lightweight packaging material that's much easier to handle and store than those infernal styrofoam peanuts. Plus it seems that every household has a surplus of them.

Another idea is to go to your favorite gun store and ask for rifle shipping boxes. Many people just ask the stores to throw away the box and packaging materials when they buy new rifles so they're eager for you to cart them off and save them the trouble.

$bob$

Many who have freedom have no idea where they got it....
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by LDHunter
I also can't understand what the big deal is... I ship and receive all kinds of stuff through the USPS and have never had any problems going either way.

Methinks some of us here are too easily discouraged.

When I move to a new area I find myself having to politely educate the people at my new PO as to laws and USPS policy because many of them have NEVER shipped a rifle but once they're "on the program" I never have any more problems with them.

It's really quite easy and worry free. I strongly suggest that you always insure packages. I think it must get them special handling because I've never even had a damage problem either.

It can't be all luck that after years and years of buying and selling and shipping stuff that I'm continually lucky.

I think that also packaging is VERY important and I go through a lot of Scotch Packaging Tape rolls dispensed from tape guns.

Note to the newbies... Wal-Mart bags, and many other store plastic bags, make a great and lightweight packaging material that's much easier to handle and store than those infernal styrofoam peanuts. Plus it seems that every household has a surplus of them.

Another idea is to go to your favorite gun store and ask for rifle shipping boxes. Many people just ask the stores to throw away the box and packaging materials when they buy new rifles so they're eager for you to cart them off and save them the trouble.

$bob$
Here's another tip: DON'T PACK YOUR GUN IN A BOX THAT SAYS "GUN INSIDE" OR MARK IT TO INDICATE ITS CONTENTS.

Yeah, that sounds like a no-brainer, but my local post office told me about an incident about a year ago or so with a customer who just couldn't understand why they -- the USPS -- wouldn't accept his rifle for shipment. It seems this person was trying to ship his rifle in a green Remington box that said "Model 700" and "Firearms Safety Begins With You!" all over it. They tried to explain why they couldn't accept it due to the packaging, but the customer wouldn't hear any of it.

You'd think it would be obvious to anyone. whistle

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by morecowbell
Originally Posted by Bricktop
Originally Posted by Freedumb1
Originally Posted by Ngrumba
Hey Hogbuster-

I'm a manager with the USPS. I'd like to help you out. Please check your PM.

Jeff
Ngrumba,

What is the real policy? Straight from a USPS Manager ?

What I have found is no hastle when I ship from my Post Office in Sioux City, IA, the Morningside branch.

But my brother in Bondurant IA gets the "We can't ship guns" runaround from his local Post Office.

Inform us.

Thanks,

F1
You could answer that question for yourself if you took the time to look it up on the USPS' website. It's pretty well spelled out in plain English.

http://pe.usps.gov/text/dmm300/601.htm#wp1099754

"11.3 Rifles and Shotguns
Although unloaded rifles and shotguns not precluded by 11.1.1e and 11.1.2 are mailable, mailers must comply with the Gun Control Act of 1968, Public Law 90-618, 18 USC 921, et seq., and the rules and regulations promulgated thereunder, 27 CFR 178, as well as state and local laws. The mailer may be required by the USPS to establish, by opening the parcel or by written certification, that the gun is unloaded and not precluded by 11.1.1e.

11.4 Legal Opinions on Mailing Firearms
Postmasters are not authorized to give opinions on the legality of any shipment of rifles or shotguns. Contact the nearest office of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms for further advice."
It's said that for a long time. The two paragraphs above refer to shipping firearms that are not legal.

If you read the posts above you would see the problem isn't the legality of shipping but whether or not the PO employees know their own rules. I can read, can you?
You shouldn't flatter your perceived reading skills. The two paragraphs I quoted are the regulations regarding firearms that are mailable by individuals. (I.e. non-licensees who wish to mail long guns.)

The regulations to which you are incorrectly referring, i.e. the so-called non-legal firearms states this:

"11.0 Other Restricted and Nonmailable Matter

11.1 Pistols, Revolvers, and Other Concealable Firearms

11.1.1 Definitions

The terms used in this standard are defined as follows:

e. Short-barreled shotgun means a shotgun that has one or more barrels less than 18 inches long. The term short-barreled rifle means a rifle that has one or more barrels less than 16 inches long. These definitions include any weapon made from a shotgun or rifle, whether by alteration, modification, or otherwise, if such weapon as modified has an overall length of less than 26 inches. A short-barreled shotgun or rifle of greater dimension may be regarded as nonmailable when it has characteristics to allow concealment on the person.

11.1.2 Handguns
Pistols, revolvers, and other firearms capable of being concealed on the person (referred to as handguns) are nonmailable unless mailed between the parties listed in 11.1.3 and 11.1.5 after the filing of an affidavit or statement required by 11.1.4 and 11.1.6."

If you had read my post, you would see that the purpose of posting this regulation is to give someone a footing on which to base their explanation or argument to an uninformed USPS representative.

Are you able to read that?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I prefer to ship rifles in the original factory shipping box when available. The box is designed to protect it.
When you ship a rifle registered, the postal employee, always hands me a roll of brown tape and a wet sponge to seal all edges, and cover all writing on the box.
It's really simple, USPS Priority, Registered, Insured for $700, cost me $26 to ship about 900 miles.
Seems fair to me, and fairly worry free.

$$$ TRUMP AT THE PUMP 2024 $$$
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I want to speak up for USPS employees! They have a bzillion regulations to keep up with and we certainly can't expect to know them all.

A year or so ago they received a directive not to mail any handguns unless the sender was an FFL licensee and there was a lot of confusion because it wasn't clear that the directive didn't include long guns.

Please be patient with them folks.

It's a very hard thankless job and can get worse fast when one of use cranky gun nuts get's his dander up... shocked

$bob$

Many who have freedom have no idea where they got it....
CAS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
+1.

I used to get some grief when mailing firearms (and I mail a lot of them). It took nothing more than making an effort to get to know the employees there, and letting them get to know me. Now they are fantastic to work with.

I can tell you that if you immediately tell the employee that they are wrong about the regulations, they will most likely dig their heels in and "prove" that YOU are wrong, no matter what the truth may be.

A little tact and respect can go a long way when dealing with government employees.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by sawbuck
I prefer to ship rifles in the original factory shipping box when available. The box is designed to protect it.

<SNIP>

cover all writing on the box.
Yes, the box is great -- provided you adhere to the regulation regarding there being no label or marking on it that would indicate its contents to be a firearm. wink

IC B3

CAS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Wrapping the factory box with brown shipping paper is a good plan.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by CAS
Though you'd be surprised at the people who think they can simply slap some tape and a mailing label on the box and send it on its way.

CAS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've had at least 5 dozen show up exactly that way.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by CAS

Actually, that's not that great of a plan. The USPS recommends that you don't use wrapping paper, string, string tape, masking tape, or duct tape when mailing boxes. They get caught in the automation machines, and can very rapidly get crunched. Everything (including large parcels) are automated now. In San Diego alone, we process over 30 million pieces of mail per night.

I'd recomend turning the box inside out if it says "Winchester" or some such identification as a firearm. Personally I use 3M clear wrapping tape. It is stronger than the box.

I've shipped rifles many times, and don't hesitate to use the USPS. Just shipped a rifle this week.

Jeff

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by CAS
I've had at least 5 dozen show up exactly that way.
That's just asking for trouble.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I have used the USPS also, but I have purchased a rifle that was shipped or recieved on 1/1/08 with tracking number. I have never gotten an update and still have not recieved the firearm!13 DAYS from Idaho to LA. Come on!! I'll never ship a firearm againn with the USPS.Thanks for the vent!:(

Hook And Cook
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by whiteroach
I have purchased a rifle that was shipped or recieved on 1/1/08 with tracking number.
Huh???? confused

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I've never had problems with the main UPS places, the UPS store doe suck.

So what's the tracking number... post her up .

Spot

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Spotshooter
I've never had problems with the main UPS places, the UPS store doe suck.
The UPS Store is NOT UPS!!!!!!!! They are franchisees of the chain formerly known as Mail Boxes Etc.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Item was recieved in Idaho on 1/04/08. Haven't gotten an update or the gun yet. VH599144148US

Hook And Cook
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

704 members (01Foreman400, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 10ring1, 06hunter59, 02bfishn, 66 invisible), 2,844 guests, and 1,441 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,731
Posts18,475,935
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.