Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Over the past few months I have had a grown interest in getting a NULA rifle.
I have 3 guns and a couple scopes that I could sell and have the funds to acquire one.

I know these are high quality guns, but what are your thoughts on if they are worth the 3K price tag?

I have looked but can't find, are these push feed or CRF?

I am thinking about selling a 243, 7mmm-08, and 338-06 to acquire one of these and pretty much use it for everything. Right now I am leaning towards a M20 in 7mm-08. Any thoughts or recommendations?

It isn't energy that kills. It's holes!
Dogzapper

A fine is a tax for doing wrong, a tax is a fine for doing well
GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Speaking as a NULA owner not a writer, if you buy one you will hate yourself. Because--you'll want more of them. My latest is a 7-08 and is very nice indeed.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
My father-in-law has the third NULA every built in 30-06. So, I have been around one a good bit as that is his "do almost anything" gun (which says a lot since he literally has 100s).

Since there seems to be several gun manufacturers offering lightweight rifles in the more common calibers, I think the best value is a NULA of large or wildcat caliber.

Are you buying as a gun collector, hunter, etc.?

"Everyone who receives the protection of society owes a return for the benefit." -- John Stuart Mill
Campfire Kahuna Emeritus &
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Worth every penny and more.

Push feed; flawless push feed.

7-08 would be marvy; shoot 120s or 140s with Varget and you'll be a happy killer.

Steve

"God Loves Each Of Us As If There Were Only One Of Us"
Saint Augustine of Hippo - AD 397

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Not a gunwriter, but I have a NULA 300 Win Mag that was built for me in late 2001.

It is a push feed, and has never failed me in feeding.

It is indeed light. Mine is about 7lbs. with scope, ammo, sling. It's awesome to carry!

Mine does kick sharply, but not so much as to compromise my ability to get under 1" at 100 yards.

When sighting in, make sure you let the thin barrel cool thoroughly between shots. I bring 2-3 guns as a matter of course when I sight in so I can let all my barrels cool between shots.

As for customer service, with NULA it's excellent. Whenever I have had questions, I called and got to talk directly to Melvin Forbes, not some clueless desk jockey who has never even shot a gun before. Mr. Forbes stands behind his rifles 100%.

I'm no rifle expert, but I do know that you could do a lot worse than to go with NULA.

IC B2

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
miket 81,

i had one built recently in a lh 7mm-08 im in the st louis metro area and would be happy to let you play with it.

FJB
M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Oh more as a hunter.. I have a decent sized collection of hunting rifles. 243, 7mm-08, 3 30-06's, 7mag's of different sorts, 2-338-06's 358win among 6-10 others others all pretty nice guns.
Think about down sizing a few to get one that I really would and could use a-lot.

I am not set on chambering. I like the 7mm-08 alot, and already have lots of brass and such. But I would also consider a 7X57 or even a 280AI if he does that one...

Since I already have a few 30-06's and a nice 338-06 that I am going to keep I don't see a need for it to be a much bigger caliber.

Elk is probably the biggest game I would go after and I would have no qualms taking the 7mm-08 out as my only rifle.

Dogzapper

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Have three of them and totaly satisfied. Never any issue with feeding or extraction. I do like the standard calibers better then the mags, but they all shoot really well. No gunwriter just a owner & campfire guy.
LC

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Even more impressive than the NULA rifle is the man. Melvin Forbes is perhaps the finest man I have ever met; gunny, down to earth, friend for life and probably the only bonafide firearms genius alive today.

Steve

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Let's talk about the .338/06's you may want to sell.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by wyoguide
Let's talk about the .338/06's you may want to sell.

gringringringringringringringringringrin

Steve

M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
A 700ADL Gone through acion with a shilen 24" #3 in a McM KS stock timney trigger, VX-III 2.5-8X36 in talley LW's.
I had plans to send doug to be coated and MCM to have stock repainted.
Just think I like the WBY SBGM 338/06 I have too much to justify having both even though the 700 is probably a nicer gun...

Dogzapper

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
miket_81,

My wife told me a few years back "Why don't you sell some of these and buy a couple of really good ones?" -- with a dismissive wave at the gun safe.

I did the what you propose last year, and ordered a M24 .30-'06 from Melvin. I also have one of Melvin's M90 ML rifles that I bought from him in '93. I sent the ML in for inspection, and also had the stock painted with the current maple leaf camo pattern. I paid for the paint job, but the inspection and fix as needed was on the house. Product support is definitely there.

I have paid more for custom rifles, and not been half as satisfied as I am with this NULA. My opinion is what you get in a NULA would cost way more if ordered from another source.

The M20 in 7-'08 would be an excellent hunting rifle, but Melvin has also built no end of .284 Win rifles too.

I can echo the other folks as to Melvin's qualities. He is unique and if we designated people as national treasures as the Japanese do, he would be one.

jim

LCDR Jim Dodd, USN (Ret.)
"If you're too busy to hunt, you're too busy."
M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by rockchucker
miket 81,

i had one built recently in a lh 7mm-08 im in the st louis metro area and would be happy to let you play with it.

Thanks that is very nice of you. I am about 5 hours away being in the other corner of MO. If I am ever up that way I would like to see it.

Dogzapper

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
miket 81- I like the sounds of your blueprint. I just snagged a 700 ADL .270 synthetic on closeout at Walmart in Sheridan for $300. Last one they had. Planned to build just such a rifle out of it. I had a Wby ultra light in .338/06 myself. Sold it unfired, and wish I still had it. I've still got the dies, and a box of factory ammo, though. Pm me if you decide to move the 700. Thnx- Jim........

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Steve,

I could not agree with you more concerning Melvin Forbes and his rifles. He is both a creative genius who can put ideas into action, but also an incredibly honorable man.

I have six of his rifles, and also count him as one of my best friends. It has been a special privilege just to know him.

Anyone who buys one of his rifles has two great experiences to anticipate. The first is to get to know Melvin, and the second is a superbly designed, impeccable rifle.

Steve

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
There is a LH 06 for sale on BR.COM. Looks ok other than a brake.

Lefty

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Mine is a ULA, not a NULA, model 24, got it in 1997, .270 WCF asked for a 26" barrel 1.5 lbs heavier than standard, rifle weighs 6 7/8 lbs. with Leupold VariX III 2.5-8 in Weaver QD mounts which I preferred to Melvin's. It is a superlative rifle and you cannot go wrong with a 7'08 although arguably - and this is what Melvin told me years ago - the best power to weight ratio in the model 20 comes with a .284WCF !!

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
I will only note that with MOST of the ULA and NULA rifles I have fooled with (and I have been shooting them for just about 20 years now) it doesn't make any difference at all if the barrel is cold, hot or smokin' hot. They still stack them into the same place. I suspect that any that doesn't has a barrel that didn't quitre make it out of heat-treating perfectly.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
MD and DZ I would like to hear more about your thoughts on these rifles and chambering opinions if you have the time.
Open to others as well...

I am about sold, Lol! just need to get a few sold..

Dogzapper

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

344 members (12savage, 204guy, 12344mag, 16gage, 1lessdog, 01Foreman400, 38 invisible), 2,515 guests, and 1,285 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,499
Posts18,490,472
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.