Williams bottom metal
Rifle Basix Trigger
Custom Red/Black metal coating
Seeking base and rings
Patriot Bolt knob
Nightforce NXS 5.5-22-50 R1
Weighs around 12-13lbs

300 Maggie,

excuse me for digging this out but what are the percentages for the black/red swirl on the stock?

Thank you

ElmerKeith

Elmer Keith
GB1

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
.257 Weatherby..."WidowMaker"

Remington 700 action trued
#3 contour stainless 1:10 Rock barrel fluted by Rock (finished at 25")
McMillan Edge Classic BDL
Bolt Ti Fluted
Campfire Bolt Knob
Cerakoted...Matte Black and a mix of Federal Brown,Coyote Tan and OD Stock Cerakoted same color with black webbing
Weight scoped 7.38 lbs

[Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image][Linked Image]

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

L
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
L
One of the coolest custom hunting rifle I ever seen!!!

I can't wait for my Kampfeld Custom...

Last edited by LRCampos; 01/29/08.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Remington 700 action with Douglas #3 contour barrel at 24" in 223. Cerakoted in black. All work done by Mickey Coleman. McMillan Mountain Rifle stock-60% woodland beige, 20% medium tan, 20% black. Currently topped with Talley Lightweight rings/bases and a Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40. Weighs in at 8lbs 5oz.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by thismortalcoil
Yes, they do most of my work, great guys to deal with!

I know this post is about a year old but ...

Is there a website or some contact info for this D&D Gunsmithing?

IC B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
No web site but the number is 248.858.1512

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
CAS,

First, I like to compliment you on your spectacular collection of rifles - they are all great looking and well thought out.

I have a Reminton Ti, I'd like to customize.

Like probably every rifle extemist who buys a Ti - I'd like to make mine even lighter. I hope you can tell me a few things and help me with some decisions I have to make.

I find the 284 family of wildcats interesting - with my rifle presently being a 7mm-08 would the feed rails need changing? With the 25-284 is the magazine long enough for optimum loading?

Your alloy shroud, pin and spring you changed - was it for lock time - or did it actually lighten your rifle? How does the Brown stock you have compare to a McMillan "Edge" in weight? Is the Shilen trigger lighter? How much weight difference is there between a 1.5 contour barrel and a 1 ?

What is the "closed cell" recoil pad? How much weight does it save? Where can a person get one?

I know I've asked a lot of questions, but if you could, I'd sure like to learn more about what you did, and what I could do with my own rifle to make it unique.

Last edited by BCBrian; 02/09/08.

Brian

Vernon BC Canada

"Nothing in life - can compare to seeing smiles on your children's faces."
S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Finally got this one finished:
Remington 700, matte blued, Rem floorplate, Rem trigger/Holland springs(2 lb pull), speedlock firing pin & spring, Leupold dual-dovetail bases, Bushnell Signature rings, Leupold VXII 4-12, Butler Creek caps, A.R.D., Holland lug, Lilja #3 SS 26" 1/9 twist .264 Win mag, McMillan "Hunters Edge" olive with white/black web by Rick Bin, Pillars, AcraBed, free-float barrel, action blueprint & thread & chamber by Steve Baldmin (Jones, OK), bed by self, 8 lb 8oz empty.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Darn, pictures didn't go thru, will work on it and get back

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Finally got this one finished:
Rem 700, matte blued, Rem floorplate, Rem trigger/Holland springs(2 lb pull), Speedlock fir pin & spring,Leu dual-dovetail bases, Bushnell Signature rings, Leu VXII 4-12, Butler Creek caps, A.R.D.,Lilja #3 SS 26" 1/9 twist .264 Win mag,McMillan "Hunters Edge" olive with white/black web by Rick Bin, Pillars, AcraBed, free-float barrel, action blueprint & thread & chamber by Steve Baldmin (Jones, OK), bed by self, 8 lb 8oz empty.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

IC B3

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
The rifle in these photos was built on a Remington 700 ADL action with a stainless steel super match grade Pac-Nor barrel that has 3 grooves and a 1 in 9" twist barrel. PT&G built the reamer and it is for a .1945" tight necked chamber. I had my gunsmith add the flutes to the 24" barrel and he did his "thing" on the barrel so it looks like scroll-work on it. He said he used fairly course sandpaper on an orbital sander and spins the barrel at a very slow rate of speed in his mill.

[Linked Image]

The business end of the barrel:

[Linked Image]

Here is the rifle set up in an H-S Precision Varminter stock wearing a Sightron II 6.5-20x50mm scope with a duplex reticule. The bipod is a Harris swivel model in 9-13" length with leg notches and I added the Pod-Lock accessory on the bipod.

[Linked Image]

Here's a photo of the rifle as it looked last summer after I gave it a camo paint job using the Krylon Fusion camo colors. I hand cut some stencils to make the patterns on the stock after giving it a base coat of Krylon Khaki. I have not been able to convince myself to do a camo paint job on the scope, barrel or the action!! confused

The prairie dog in the photo was very satisfied with the way this rig shoots. The bullets I use are 27.8 gr. BTHP Hammetts and they leave the muzzle at around 4,000 fps with bare bullets. I have begun to use Danzac on my bullets and the velocity has dropped a wee bit. I am still working on finding the magic load with the coated bullets, but I think I'll be able to find a load so the bullets will leave the muzzle at somewhere between 3,900 fps and 4,000 fps.

[Linked Image]

If you look real close at the barrel, you will see the mirage shield I usually have on the barrel on prairie dog shooting outings. There are many times on hot summer days that the barrel gets so hot just from the sun beating down on it that you can't touch the barrel--even BEFORE you begin shooting bullets down the tube. So, the mirage shield helps fight mirage AND helps keep the sun from beating down on the barrel too.

Catch ya L8R--Silverfox
T
T
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Montana Model 1999
22-250 caliber
22-in. #5 fluted S.S. barrel - 6 flutes
Match grade Montana barrel - 1 in 10 twist
S.S. action
Ken Farrell picatinny scope base
Badger ordinance rings
US Optics SN3 1.8x to 10x scope - (Micrometer with lenses)
30-mm tube - 44-mm ERGO reticle
EREK elevation knob - (1) revolution 0-1000 yds.
11 position illuminated recticle
McMillan stock
Pachmayr 1" Presentation recoil pad
Action custom bedded
Barrel free floated
custom trigger job - clean break @ 2-lbs.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
TVan, great gun, great scope, great group.

I've never seen this type of scope before. Who is the dealer?

Which model did you chose from McMillan and what percentages of which colors?

What is the purpose the gun is made for? Hunting or target shooting?

Elmer Keith
T
T
Elmer,
I bought this scope from someone else who never used it. You can call US Optics and buy direct I believe, (714-582-1956) send questions to salesusoptics.com, website is usoptics.com and there are some sites on the Internet that sell them as well. They are very high end scopes that are primarily used by military & law enforcement snipers. They don't advertise and that is why most people have never heard of them. They are located in Brea, California. This scope with the options on it lists for $2,211.00. They can be custom ordered with many different options from the factory. Of course price is a drawback and they are a heavy scope because they are built to take the heavy punishment they may see in military situations.
The McMillan stock is the Winchester pre 64 Monte Carlo in 80% Forest Green, 10% White & 10% Black.
I built it for primarily hunting coyote's but took a Whitetail buck last fall using Nosler partition 60 grain bullets. The deer dropped instantly. I also have a 100 & 200 yard rifle range on my property that I target shoot on.

Best Regards,
Tom

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Geez, TVan, your post threw me for a loop - I'm in the process of building a very similar rifle, and I felt like I was having a premonition...Win M70 stainless action, 22" fluted #5 Rock barrel in 308, McMillan Supergrade swirly stock, USO 1.8-10 low profile scope with EREK. Great minds must think alike! If I ever get all the parts together (currently waiting on the stock and barrel), I'll post some pics.

Originally Posted by RED53
Some shooting knowledge: Don't stand in front of the muzzle. Some hunting knowledge: Too much noise ruins the hunt.
T
T
Gasman,
Your gonna love it. What do you think of the US Optics scope? From your message it sounds like you already have that piece of the puzzle. Pics when you have them would be great....

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Love 'em on my "long-range precision rifles". Excellent glass - just spoils you for most anything else. I like that fact that you can customize the reticles and turrets, and the folks at USO are great to deal with. You'll find out...ya can't just buy one!

Originally Posted by RED53
Some shooting knowledge: Don't stand in front of the muzzle. Some hunting knowledge: Too much noise ruins the hunt.
T
T
Gasman,
I know, I am already planing my next custom rifle just so I can buy another USO scope for it. It's a bad habit....

TVan

U
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
U
Here is one that I have shown some time back, but never where anybody could find it.

LH MRC 338 WSM, #3 Montana Rifleman barrel. The wood stock is a Accuracy Innovations stock (with the aluminum bedding rail), that I then trimmed up and finished with Art's epoxy method. The second is McMillan featherweight contour, 50% dark blue, 25% dark gray and 25% white. The McMillan is set up as a blind magazine, using the Williams trigger bow. Between going to lighter stock, and eliminating the need for the MRC floorplate assembly, it is almost a pound lighter in the McMillan. That configuration is my elk rifle--falls between the 338-06 and the 388 Win Mag in terms of performance, in a short action rifle. Why Winchester went with the 325 WSM rather than this cartridge is a mystery to me.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
UPGRADED SHEEP RIFLE - 280 Ackley

I've made some changes to my sheep rifle and thought I'd post it.

Rem 700 ADL L/A, stainless
Slabbed action, turned down shroud, bolt handle trimmed to Ti bolt style. Vertical milling on mag box. Safety modified to lock bolt down. Williams steel guard. Shilen trigger set at a dead crisp 2 1/4 pounds.

Ted Gaillard stainless 1-9 twist 24" barrel, M700 mountain rifle contour. Blueprinted & barrel work done by Ted Gaillard. Floorboard crown.

McMillan Hunters EDGE olive stock. Black and white webbing added. FL neutral bedded. 13 3/4" LOP and 1" decelerator pad.

Talley Lightweight rings modified to 8-40, glass bedded to receiver and lapped.

Leupold M8-6X42 matte scope with Premier Reticles #4 reticle. If Leupold ever gets their hunter turrets on the market, I'll have an elevation turret installed.

6 pounds 9 oz all up with Butler Creeks. It balances on the front guard screw. Through 20+ 3-shot groups at 100 yards, it has averaged 0.58" with 140 accubonds. With 150 TSX's at 3060 fps it shoots a bit better than that.

It's my ultimate backpack rifle, I can't think of a single thing that I'd change.

Rick

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Anybody who seriously concerns themselves with the adequacy of a Big 7mm for anything we hunt here short of brown bear, is a dufus. They are mostly making shidt up. Crunch! Nite-nite!

Stolen from an erudite CF member.
Page 9 of 32 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 31 32

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

614 members (10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 1lessdog, 1Longbow, 69 invisible), 2,298 guests, and 1,202 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,819
Posts18,477,741
Members73,944
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.