Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Seven_Heaven
Thinking of changing the scope on a 30-06 for use in the deep, dark post oaks of central Texas. I hunted this area a few years ago and at last light a deer standing at the edge of the trees was not only hard to see but, the old duplex reticle just about disappeared.
So, which would be the better of the two, or would you recommend a different reticle?

Post and CH if you can find one you like.

I'd also point you to Mueller Scopes with the illuminated reticle. Good scopes for the money. There are high end scopes with the same, and they work well in low light.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
GB1

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
If you don't understand what you are using and how it works, you won't use them to their fullest potential. 50mm scopes no better than 40mm scopes ? Don't make me laugh. I'm no fan of the 50mm scopes. But I know well what they do better. E

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Jon,

That's one beautiful rig you have there; inside and out. That's one heck of a bedding job too, and everything just...fits together...just right. Congrats! Which IOR is that?

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Eremicus
I've got lots of questions and suspicions about these tests.
I don�t.
First of all, trying to read a newspaper at 100 yds. is very dependent upon how well the scope is focused. Focus can also have an effect on how well you see the scope's reticle.
You�re not the only person on the planet that can focus a scope even though you think you are.
Second, he said nothing about any AO's or side focus features. Any scope with such things looks less bright than those w/o.
So?
Third, the value of a 50mm scope is that you can use more magnification at a given level of light than you can with a 40mm scope. These tests used nothing but 9X.
Showing 50mm scopes are more useful in low light situations.
Fourth, the indicated magnifcations of scopes is often not their actual magnification. If you are going to compare scopes, then they need to be set on the same actual magnification.
Blah blah blah�.
Last of all, none of my Leupolds are any where near that bad.
We know, we know � you own the only scopes on the planet made by Zeiss that have Leupold markings.
It's no trick at all for me to see small antlers on a buck at 150 yds., for instance, long after the sun has gone down and over 30 mins past legal shooting time. This with any those "dim" one inch, 40mm Leupolds. E
Blah blah blah blah�

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I just want to thank you azzholes for screwing up an interesting post....again.

Defend the Constitution
IC B2

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by Seven_Heaven
Originally Posted by clark98ut

Thanks for the link. That #4 looks pretty good. In looking at the Leupold catalog the thick part of the posts look so much wider than the duplex or post & duplex that I was concerned. Looked at the substention chart but, could not find the info for the post & duplex. And of course it always helps to actually see one. Wish I could find a store that stocked the different reticles so I could see for myself but, your pictures help.
How about running out and buying one with a post & duplex and then posting a picture of it?

I've had both the #4,and the Post and Duplex. I perfer the Post and Duplex.

GB

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by tomk
I just want to thank you azzholes for screwing up an interesting post....again.

You have one person to thank. Go back about 1 month and check the posts while he was gone. Nice, sedate board - a pleasant place to be. Then he returns.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
tomk,
Thanks for the reply. Isn't it amazing! You got your info from Leup and I got mine from Leup and they aren't even close. On the positive side it is good to know that on the #4 that the heavy section is longer than what is shown on the web site or the box. If I may ask three more questions I think it will do it:
(1) Am I correct in that as the power DECREASES the wire gets THICKER and the opening in the middle INCREASES
(2) I get the feeling that the Post and Duplex might be a better all around reticle with the #4 better in very low light. Yes/No?
(3) Finally what is your choice, or is it just a pick'um?
Thanks,
Ed

"Waidmannsheil"
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Ed:

1. Yes, at low power at the same distance, the opening reveals more ground and I have never noticed the wire--sure it would. FWIW, I sight in at 200yd at 10x and shoot deer at considerably less most of the time at 6x sitting and 3x stillhunting.

2. Probably.:)

3. If I could have only one it would be the reticle in the German Zeiss, which has heavy posts like the Lupy but fine crosshairs. It also covers fewer feet in the crosshair area too, so losing the crosshair in dim light is not a big issue.

I use the Lupy for particular spots with a 7-08 in Michigan for whitetail and the Zeiss on a 7x57 and Swaro on a AI for other places. If the Zeiss made a decently lightweight scope it would be different. For me and my 17 yr old son the new Lupy glass is just as good for low light hunting. And I mean really low light.:)

If I had to to use Lupy reticle selections only...I just don't know.

tom

Defend the Constitution
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Kingmanguy

(1) Am I correct in that as the power DECREASES the wire gets THICKER and the opening in the middle INCREASES

Relative to the object your looking at yes--but not relative to your FOV. In other words, the reticle "looks like" it stays the same size as you turn down the power while what you're looking at gets smaller--just the same as any 2nd Focal Plane scope, probably including all your current scopes.

IC B3

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
tomk,
Thanks. I think that I will give the #4 a try. What the hell I like the look of it.
JonA,
Thanks. Of course you are right as it is still a 2nd focal plane scope.
Regards,
Ed

"Waidmannsheil"
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
For 60 bucks or so, you can always fix it smile

Defend the Constitution
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If you don't understand what you are using and how it works....

That's better. We're all either stupid or the use of a riflescope is really, really complicated.
50mm Leupold scopes no better than 40mm Other Brand scopes ? Don't make me laugh.

You can keep laughing as long as you keep refusing to even look through anything besides a Leupold. It's amazing how real life doesn't always add up to exactly what you'd expect from a spec sheet.

As they say in football, it's why they play the games.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Magnumdood
That's one beautiful rig you have there; inside and out.

Thanks.
Which IOR is that?

Which one? I've got three: 2.5-10X42, 4-14X50 and 3-18X42 FFP. Mmmm, glass!

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
1) Yes.
2) I'd call it pretty even. It depends on which one would fade to the point where it wouldn't be useable. That would probably be light so low as to not allow you to see much over 40-60 yds. with your 40mm scope set on 6X. Pretty frustrating trying to hunt on a night that dark.
3) I use both and like both. Since my 4a isn't as bold in the thick posts as the Leupold version, I'm not quite convinced it would be favored over the P&D. I will say that I prefer either to the Medium Duplex for all of my large varmit or big game shooting. Even in daylight. E

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Solve all your issues and buy this:

http://www.sportoptics.com/nightforce-nxs-2-10-32-scopes.aspx

You can see the reticle and the game in any legal shooting light.

Newt-Condi 2012
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The way I improved the low light capabilities for my Leupolds is by going to a heavy duplex. It really helped. Also for a leopard hunt I have planned that will be in low/artificial light, I selected the (ugly) Leupold 3.5X10X50 with an ill #4 German. The rheostat works great, giving me a range from a small, almost imperceptible red sliver all the way to a bold red dot. Great scope. The German #4 is a good compromise as the heavy duplex does cover almost MOA @100. jorge

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Nightforce makes nice reticles, yet I wonder about a 3.2mm Exit pupil. My duplex 3-10 VX3 does fine.

I like #4s that are like the Premier retro, not the overly wide designs. PD is also a very good one. I like having an open FOV on the upper plane.

Zeiss made a simple No.2 IIRC, post w/horizontal wire.

Lit reticles do show nicely, thinking S&B flashdot, 1.5-6x42 wink

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

79 members (35, 6mmCreedmoor, 21, 808outdoors, 1Longbow, 9 invisible), 14,429 guests, and 1,063 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,108
Posts18,541,926
Members74,057
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.