Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
D
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Go easy on me here. Like most people I was taught by dads, uncles and friends and it was word of mouth tradition.

I would like to ask what is different and similar about the traditions you were taught or follow.

I was always taught to skin an elk carcass to prevent spoilage.

I leave it on deer regularly and have never had any trouble.

In particular I was to be certain to get the thick skin off the back and shoulders if I had to leave the hide on any length of time. Also to slit the meat on the hams following the bone up to the socket and opening the sockets.

The only time I didn't do this I did lose a couple of handfulls of meat from each hip socket and maybe a handfull from under the shoulders.

GB1

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
I skin ASAP no matter what.

I also live in arizona, so if you dont skin asap, or find the animal very qickly, chances of loosing meat are great!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by firstcoueswas80
I skin ASAP no matter what.

+1
Elk hides hold in heat remarkably well. Even in subfreezing temps I will skin ASAP.

KC

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
+1 Skin asap, meat rots from the bone out. That is why I cut and wrap my game meat. I don't want someone else meat that was not cleaned, skined, and wiped down clean. I got tired of getting hair for the filler in Summer Sausage. Lot of shops were waying the meat and giving you any meat back.

No matter how good a rifle looks if it shoots over 1 inch groups its ugly.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
An elk's hide will keep him warm at -40. It's a pretty fair insulator. To cool an elk, skinning is 10 times more important than gutting.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
An elk's hide will keep him warm at -40. It's a pretty fair insulator. To cool an elk, skinning is 10 times more important than gutting.

Elk hide left on, is why barbeque sauce was invented.

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Skin your elk ASAP. If you put him down at zero dark thirty, that's what flashlights/headlamps are for. Take care of the meat no matter what time you think you should be in bed or back at the cabin.....or one should never have taken the shot that late if not willing to do the work.

For most people, the hunts over when that one elk is fully prepped prior to butcherin'. Lots of time to sleep, rest, celebrate and call home AFTER caring for that animal.

U
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
U
This is why I am really bothered by the hunting shows that shoot an elk in the evening--sometimes on a September archery hunt--and then come back the next morning to find it. Granted, it probably improves the footage for the show, but I think they should get ticketed for wanton waste because of soured meat.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Then there are all the outfitters that say leave the hide on,just quarter it. I think they do this and tell you it keeps the meat cleaner, when actaully they don't want to get elk blood on thier pack bags.
One only has to shoot a bull in rut,and try to take care of gutting it with all that goo ( we know what it is) that is on the belly from pecker to brisket, without getting nay of it on the meat, let alone leaving it there till later

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Just because an outfitter does it a certain way doesn't mean it's the RIGHT way. I've shot a lot of critters in the last 45 years and I've learned that THE HIDE COMES OFF.

Dick

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B3

R
R
We have always left the hide one elk and deer. Never any spoiled or ruined meat. I guess it depends on how cold it is getting during the night. I have shot a few elk in september that I skinned but the nights were still in the 40's and 50's. In oct and later the skin stays on them till we cut them up.

I admit they are easier to skin if you do it right away but I never have too much trouble.

We always let our animals "age" as long as possible but sometimes we have to cut them up right away as the temperature isn't allowing much hanging time.

On the few I have skinned right away the outside gets a crust of dried meat. Some times pretty thick if the temp is fairly warm, not good for backstraps. If you are skinning the animal I hope you cut out the backstraps when you are done. When you peel the hide off a elk that has been hanging for a few weeks the meat underneath looks perfect.

Never heard of splitting the hams Dancing Bear, so I guess if it's working for you keep on it. smile Do the cuts you make in the meat ever get fly blown?

I argree with you guys saying you have to take care of the animal right away. I get it gutted ASAP then get it home. If I have to leave it on the mountain for the night, I get it's back up off the ground, on some sticks or rocks then prop the ribs open. Cover it with some pine boughs and be back there first thing in the morning to get it. The only thing I do when I get the elk home and hung up is cut the inside tenderloins out and take them in the house. They dry out pretty fast if left on the carcass for very long.

I am not saying it's the right way, just the way we do it here.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Temperature and flies are what you need to keep close attention too, as stated by ross220. Welcome by the way.

It is better to be judged by 12 than to be carried by 6.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I seem to have my best luck in the evenings, and I am always prepared to skin 'em out, quarter them, and hang the quarters over a tree branch after dark. Last year it took until about 10:00 PM, working alone.

But, three years ago I killed one right at dusk. Mature cow. Could not find a blood trail because there wasn't one (muzzleloader, shoulder shot, no exit). Searched high and low for a few hours but couldn't find my elk, it had run a ways and not in the direction it started when I shot it so that threw me off.

Found it first thing the next morning, overnight temps. were around 25. It died out in the open, not under any trees, so heat loss was at a maximum, the night was clear. I thought the meat would be no good, but it was good, even the interior around the hip joint. All of it was good.

So, I wouldn't leave the skin on overnight intentionally, but if it happens, don't give up on the meat until you see for yourself whether it's still good.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
I am with ross220. I leave the hide on if the temperature is cool enough, though often quarter (leaving the hide on the quarters) a big animal like an elk or moose.

A lot of it has to do with air circulation. Even a medium-size elk can cool down nicely IF it is raised up where the air can circulate around the entire carcass. Twenty years ago I bow-killed a 5-point bull on Sept. 5th, just at sunset. This was on a ranch in central Montana and we could drive a pickup right up to him. After gutting, we drove him back to the ranch headquarters and hung him up on a front-end loader. It got down to 40 or so that night, and he cooled nicely. We skinned him the next day and he was one of the very best elk we've ever eaten.

On the other hand I have also seen the bottom side of a small cow elk start to sour overnight when left in foot-deep snow. The snow acted as an insulator.

One of the guys I hunted elk with in my youth almost always cut the neck off just in front of the shoulders if he had to leave an elk in the woods, whether all day or overnight. Elk are thickest through the shoulders, and cutting the neck off solved any souring problems even in fairly warm weather. He was also careful to get the hindquarters off the ground, but hardly ever skinned any animal in the field. I ate a lot of elk at his house and it was always good.

I have also killed moose at dawn of what promised to be an 80-degree day--and skinned and quartered those immediately. So it depends on the circumstances.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Air circulation is key, and getting it up off the ground, either hanging, or propped up on a rock/log/stump is a must. Tramp down all snow, and don't pack it in the cavity, it will make the meat wet, promoting the spread of bactieria, and will also inslulate it. Hide on or hide off is generaly of no consequence to me if the temps aren't too warm, say 30-40's at night and less than 60 in the day time. A little black pepper keeps the flies at bay.

On bigger bulls, we'll cut the neck off as well, or skin it back, and also skin/seperate the front shoulders from the ribs at the brisket, and put a stick in the ribs to keep them open.

I would say for a novice, skining them out is probably your best bet, and you don't have to worry about it.

I know what works for me and don't see myself changing anytime soon. I've never eaten a 'bad tasting' elk, had more than one that was shoe leather/chewy though.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The last few elk I have killed I have used the 'no gut method'. With this I leave the hide on the quarters, similar to stated above by JB, I cut the quarters off and get them off the ground ASAP. If there's a tree nearby, I'll saw off a limb and hang them up. If not I lay the quarters over a log or in the brush - just off the ground. The last 2 years I have taken bulls while bowhunting both on Sept. 7, both in the evening and both by myself. Used the method described above, took the loins, rib meat, neck meat, etc. in a bag on first trip then hauled the rest out via backback over the next day, into a cooler w/ ice and then finished skinning the quarters some 48 hours later at home. This has been the best method for me to keep the meat clean and bug free. I have not had any issues with spoilage. Another thing that works quite well on a hot day is to lay the quarters on a tarp in a creek bed, not in the water but in the shade alongside the creek. The water in mountain creeks is very cold and the rocks will suck the heat right out of the quarters and keep them refrigerated until you can get to a cooler.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
With moose heat is the enemy..If you have one in half hanging split the neck to the bone.The heat that comes outta there could steam veggie's.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A friend and I were discussing this topic for Deer not long ago...haven't got to go Elk hunting yet.

Our thoughts were to get the animal gutted, skinned, and hung asap.

On a larger animal I can see it being a chore either trying to find a suitable place to hang, or rolling the animal back and forth, working around trying to skin and quarter. Not as difficult with Deer as Elk no doubt. But why leave it on?

I think we all agree it is about getting the meat cooled as soon as possible, but still don't understand the benifit to leaving the hide on. There are different situations to account for so there maybe no single "best" answer. For example: Some have mentioned that it isn't real measable in an evening hunt.

The problem that I see is cutting through the skin and hair, the knife getting contaminated, and hair getting into everything. We have felt that the hide isn't the most sanitary thing and getting it off the animal is important.

Maybe, like some said...it's tradition?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by kallen

The problem that I see is cutting through the skin and hair, the knife getting contaminated, and hair getting into everything. We have felt that the hide isn't the most sanitary thing and getting it off the animal is important.

Maybe, like some said...it's tradition?

Personally I feel the less you cut on a critter the less chance you have to contaminate the meat. Bacteria isn't going to penitrate through the hide. Also when you skin it there is no way you're not going to cross contaminate between the meat chunks you're cutting off and the hide which your removed. The dirt, hair and junk will be all over your cloths, hands, knives, etc. You can be as careful as you want, but it will in no way be as clean as if I skin/cut it in the shop in a controled environment. When gutted and opened up, the only part of the animal that can get contaminated is the cavity and a the inside portion of the hams which dry up anyway.

I cut meat commercially for 2 years, and have done my own for 20, I'd say over 50% of the time the meat that came in 'boned out' was filthy compared to the whole animals or the quarterd/hide on critters. Some had more dirt and hair than meat, and not one ended up with as much finished product.

I much perfer to have a clean working area once the meat cutting starts.

People worry way to much about this stuff. Elk don't spoil on the spot, and blue/wood rifles don't melt in the rain...

The cold rock next to the stream is a great tip.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Exactly.

Meat-science studies have shown that meat under the hide is essentially sterile. As soon as you pull the hide off, you open up the surface to air-borne bacteria. Therefore the logical thing to do, even in warm weather, is to expose as little of the meat surface to air as possible--unless, of course, you have access to a walk-in cooler or something similar.

Another thing that can be done on smaller animals (deer, antelope, etc.) in warm weather is place as many bags of ice inside the body cavity as possible. This cools things down right away. On an early-season sheep hunt I have also put the quarters inside plastic bags and placed them in a cold creek.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

127 members (2500HD, 300_savage, 1973cb450, 338reddog, 204guy, 338rcm, 19 invisible), 1,756 guests, and 1,058 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,623
Posts18,474,050
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.