Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I agree with allen, another solution to a problem that doesn't exist...

Chuck

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Ghost And The Darkness

GB1

RMiller Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Who says there is a problem?

Lets say you have a medium action with a mag bolt face and you want to slap a barrel on it.

And your thinking medium bore. More specifically 375.

You can pick 375 taylor, epstein or ruger.

I would go with the ruger because with the same sized package you get a little extra powder capacity. The belts are just taking up space.

I've been thinking of a 300 ruger on the same case as the 375 ruger. I think it would clean up a 300 win mag chamber. It would have all the characteristics of the great 300 winny plus a bit more velocity.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by colorado
I agree with allen, another solution to a problem that doesn't exist...

.... maybe, but then with that thought there wouldn't have been any more 30cals developed after the 30/30 and 30/06.

TTS Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I have zero experience with any 375, but for left hand shooters like myself, besides Ruger offering a lh 375, lots easier to make a 375 Ruger than a 375H&H. I might be wrong, but I look at 375 Ruger as a bump up from a 338. While a 375H&H is a bumb down from a long actioned 416. Not too hard to make a 8.5lb 375 Ruger. I've actually have been thinking about turning my 338 M70 into a 375Rug. With 250/260gr bullets, should make a fine elk/moose gun. Legal for buffalo. All in an 8.5lb or so gun. Tom

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
SuperCub: Yes, there's lots that duplicate one another; but my point is why mess with a wildcat when you don't have to?Unless of course you just want to... smile

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
IC B2

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I'll probably get shrilled at for this comment as well, but here's how I see it:

The real, practical, legitimate hunting domain for any .375 caliber rifle is in coastal Alaska, coastal B.C., Australia, and especially in Africa. In those places, the 375 H&H is a Gold Standard hunting cartridge, and I've never yet been into an African camp that didn't have at least SOME 375 H&H ammo available, just in case.

I've had either my rifles not show up or my ammo not show up twice on safaris, and believe me, such problems are no fun at all to sort out. The very notion of taking any sort of rifle that requires off-beat, exclusive ammo that's only available on your loading bench back home (10,000 miles away!), or fresh from the the design lab is logistically unsound, pure and simple. When in fact it won't do anything on game, in practical terms, that the well-established 375 H&H won't do at least as well is dumber still. That is, if you really plan to use the rifle in far-off places that are expensive to hunt - places where you really can't afford logistical mistakes if they can in any way be avoided.

And the alternatives are for the sake of WHAT? For the convenience of using a standard-cut action? That's like putting the cart before the horse, and it's a totally misplaced priority. Success in ANYTHING comes at your INCONVENIENCE, and that's true of safaris and safari rifle plans as well. Not only that, but it's just not all that hard to find an action that's suitable for the longer cartridge, nor is it all that hard just to come up with a solid factory rifle in 375 H&H. Mostly, it's just a matter of looking and line-time.

There are those guys who's main priority is to continually experiment and hunt with something out of the mainstream or else fresh from the factory and new, or else they plan to hunt within driving distance from home for stuff like elk, moose and bears, so if that's the case, OK, all well and good.

But if your main priority is to simply hunt effectively and to eliminate as many potentical hassles when you touch-down as possible, stick with the 375 H&H, and trust me, the game won't know the difference.........

AD

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Well said AD

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Allen:Agree with that..... wink

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
All true , no doubt , but I'm willing to bet there will be a time in the not too distant future , when 375 Ruger rifles and ammunition will be about as common in places like Alaska , BC or the Yukon as H&H . The rifles themselves just make too much sense for the native residents of that country.

just my opinion , of course..

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
SD I truly believe that will be so as well.

And by the way I just ran 3 dummy 375 Ruger rounds down in my old 700 and they work quite well...... cool

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
AD, I couldn't agree more, and bow to the experts that hunt the Dark Continent on a regular basis, but......
This thread was started with the reasoning of why build a Taylor
when the Ruger may be a better alterative, whether real or imagined.
It took exactly one response to turn it to Africa. This is Big Bores Only, not big bores in Africa and/or Alaska.
The number of people that own and shoot big bores that go to, or will go to Africa is probably way over whelmed by the number that have them and will never go.
So, if you ain't going to Africa, build whatever blows your skirt up. If your plans change, put a 375 H&H barrel on your gun
and have at it.

PS, I'm building a 375 Ruger as we speak.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by sdgunslinger
All true , no doubt , but I'm willing to bet there will be a time in the not too distant future , when 375 Ruger rifles and ammunition will be about as common in places like Alaska , BC or the Yukon as H&H . The rifles themselves just make too much sense for the native residents of that country.

just my opinion , of course..

Hard to argue with that when Ruger sold 8,000+ 375 Ruger's in its first year according to Shoemaker.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I understand. With all that said, if I wanted a non-H&H 375, the Ruger would be my top choice. It seems to be a really sound cartridge in most ways, and the Ruger rifle is solid gear in its own right..........

AD

"The placing of the bullet is everything. The most powerful weapon made will not make up for lack of skill in marksmanship."

Colonel Townsend Whelen
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Aside from the 222/223 style cases I really don't think that there has been any real cartridge development since the 270Win. The 375H&H would most certainly be included in this group of cartridges..... Also, other than the opportunity to use a standard length action w/o major renovations I don't think for a minute the 375 Ruger or 375 Chatfield-Taylor offer anything over the older H&H esp if one is going to travel with their rifles. The 458Win, 416Taylor, 375/338 and 358Norma were all designed for use in a standard 98 length action and worked pretty well for the intended use.

I chose to get another 375/338 only because I had a set of dies on hand and wasn't going to the Dark Continent any time soon. smile

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by BobinNH
SuperCub: Yes, there's lots that duplicate one another; but my point is why mess with a wildcat when you don't have to? Unless of course you just want to... smile

True enough, but I'd be lucky to fing a box of 375H&H here in SJ let alone the 375Ruger, so handloading is the only way to go either way.

RMiller Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Good thing my big gun is a H&R 500 S&W. I dont have to worry if my 375 is cool enough for the crowd.

Supercub, that is the same reason the last pistol I bought was a 41 mag. I already had the dies. I was thinking 44 mag but the 41 suits me just fine.

Last edited by RMiller; 03/22/08.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Mark R Dobrenski
SD I truly believe that will be so as well.

And by the way I just ran 3 dummy 375 Ruger rounds down in my old 700 and they work quite well...... cool

Dober

You aren't necking it down to 7mm are you??? wink

RMiller Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
The remington is the only one that I know of that will fit the H-H without mods.

If I was to build a big bore it would not be on the Rem action. But I am not getting into that debate!!!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RMiller
If I was to build a big bore it would not be on the Rem action.

Why not? Seems all the other calibers work well enough here in NA on a Rem action. Don't get me wrong, I have a CRF Ruger MKII in 7Mag that will prolley be a 375/338 someday, but I would expect my 700 in the same caliber to be just as dependable as all the other 700s I own providing the loading was done properly. Hunting Africa would be another story, but I'm not talking about there. smile

But I am not getting into that debate!!!

Don't worry about that! This thread has run it's course anyways. grin

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by SuperCub
[quote=allenday]If you have a 7mm mag , a 300 win or a 338 mag it may be as simple as head spacing a 375 ruger, Taylor or Epstien to the action.

Try that with a 375 H-H. It aint happening some of the time. It can be that simple on some Rem long actions.

I have a Ruger stainless/laminated here in 7mmMag that would be a perfect candidate for another 375 Chatfield-Taylor. No hassles with the longer case and lots of brass.

who did the engraving on your 375?

if you want to put a real barrel into that Ruger 7mag...Cam has been thinking of taking the 416 Taylor barrel off his lefty 700.......

"after the bullet leaves the barrel it doesn't care what headstamp was on the case"
"The 221 Fireball is what the Hornet could have been had it stayed in school"
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

663 members (12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 160user, 1234, 75 invisible), 2,567 guests, and 1,270 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,529
Posts18,530,796
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.