Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
140 degrees

Where does that temp requirement come from?

--Mike

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
GB1

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Sgt
The way the thread was heading is that if you use L, you'll be fine. And we know thats not the case. I've seen one L fall apart on a 223. I have one thats about gone on an AR. I"ve also had a Z fail on the very first shot.

Point wasn't against L, they are fine, the point WAS and IS, take a friggin spare dude..... Its a long trip, proven to punish people and gear, why would you go so far without a spare rifle or at least sights.....

When its crunch time, I personally carry a Z and nothing else, but they are not perfect either.

Jeff

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
i sure hope i can trust one. frank ruiz is working right now on an el paso k4 ...

abiding in Him,

><>fish30ought6<><
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Jeff....One mans Leupold may be anothers Zeiss (deep,huh?) I always have a spare around, but seldom need it....Paul

(I hope there will never be a perfect scope that everyone agrees on. Be a pretty bring optics forum) I prefer Leupies, don't really care what others carry...)

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I find that last statement a bit difficult to believe. I use an air tight pressurized case that the Seals use for transport. My buddy has a steel case with excellent gaskets that never collects moisture. I have hunted down to -39 & transported my case in commercial & bush airplanes to get there w/o moisture or fogging. My buddy has never had a problem. Whats the basic for this statement?

Life Members SCI & NRA. NRA Instructor & RSO. What have YOU done to support hunting & gun rights?
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by tbear
Whats the basic for this statement?

Not having one has never stopped him before.... I'm curious to find out what jetliners cary the cargo in unpressurized compartments myself.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
The one thing that turned me off with Nikon is they were selling their "reconditioned" scopes with a cheesey 90 day warranty a few years ago. The non-recon scopes had a good warranty to the ORIGINAL purchaser. I called them and complained that it sure looked like they didn't have any faith in their repairs. They could have cared less and said that was their warranty, take it or leave it.

Obviously if they didn't have faith in the scope why in the hell should we? I know a lot of folks who swear by Nikons and haven't had a lick of trouble. On the same note I don't know anyone who has one that was repaired...

I do agree with most of the folks here that any of them can fail and that includes $3000.00 Schmidt & Benders. If you have it fixed I'd still take a spare. With the cost of a hunt like you're going on, taking a spare is very cheap insurance.

JMHO and each his own...

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Paul

You got it, SELDOM need it, but SMART enough to have it!

I'd rely less on what its done in the past for performance and more on the fact that Murphy travels with me mostly....

L work fine. I've no issues with them. I simply prefer Z for the same money, as I do some night shooting for hogs and the Z has always been brighter for me in that aspect. Plus a soft ring on the eyepiece... Less chance of cuts from the larger boomers.

Jeff

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've heard it said that you can always trust a repaired Leupold scope more than a new Leupold. Unfortunately, it did not work out that way for me. It was a new 1.75 - 6 Vari X 3 that had a fault with the erector assembly. Failed within 15 shots on a 375RUM. Repaired & failed again within 15 shots. Told them I was not going to accept it again & they were very good and sent me a VX3 as a replacement - no problems since. That was my first & only problem with a Leupold.

My friend had a 4.5 - 14 x 50 Vari X 3 with very bad parallex problems. Sent it in & no problems since.

So you don't really know & it depends what the original problem was. You just have to shoot & find out. Usually any problems will materialise pretty soon. You hope!

Regards,
JohnT

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I've only ever had one scope problem, and it was caused by me, not the scope.

Slipped and fell in a wet drainage while hunting mountain goat.
Test fired the rifle once back off the mountain that day. Three shots at 100 yards were fine, but a couple of days later at the range, she was all over the place.

Sent that scope back to Leupold for repairs. Had it back inside two weeks and have had reliable service out of it for the past 9 years on the same 338 WM. (Scope is a VariX III 3.5-10 X 40, and was used when I bought it in '98 and mounted it on the 338)

IC B3

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
The idea of using water at 140 degrees is to make the gases in the scope expand and leak if the scope is so inclined.
If your scope leaks, shipping it in an air tight case will not prevent it from fogging. If you hunt at different altitudes, that will cause the gases inside the scope to either be sucked out or sucked in along with whatever mosture the air sucked in contains. Naturally, if you hunt in dry climates, this may not be a problem. If you do your hunting near the same altitudes, likewise.
Testing a scope in warm water is just a way to look for potential problems. E

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
The comment I questioned didn't have any thing to do with a scope leaking. You posted that unpressurized plane compartments could case air/moisture/fogging problems with a scope in a case in Alaska. I have actual experience in cold & very cold climates & no one I have hunted with or know has ever had this problem. Since there is no actually testing or experience on your part I will just consider the comment irreverent.

Life Members SCI & NRA. NRA Instructor & RSO. What have YOU done to support hunting & gun rights?
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Any time Ive ever had a scope come back from leupold,they have sent back a checkout sheet showing that they went thru it and that it checked out with a clean bill of health,Yipper I believe Id trust their word on the matter.............

broken bones broken heart stripped down an torn apart a lil rust but Im still runnin countin miles countin tears twisted roads and shiftin gears year after year its all or nothin Im not home and Im not lost just holdin on 2 what I got...God and Guns
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I would not worry about it.I use Luepold QD rings on my scope and carry a spare one sighted in.Cheap innsurance on a Alaska hunt.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I keep a Weaver back up scope, K-1.5,2.5 or 3x presighted with QD rings for every one of my working guns. They are very tough, reliable, reasonably priced, light and don't take up much space. I haven't needed one yet but it's cheap insurance.

erich

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
10-4 on the back-up. About 8 years ago a buddy of mine missed all sorts of Blackies on POW with a faulty scope. It was so bad, I was afraid for him to shoot even when I was behind him. He always did go cheap on gear, and AK ain't the place for 'dat!
I'm going goat hunting in SE AK this year. I'm likely going to take my Blaser synthetic just because it breaks down for travel, AND I have two quick detachable scope bases all set up for the .300 Win Mag (Griz tag, too). I have three scope choices for this rifle: 1) my favorite Swaro AV rail with TDS (has been repaired after crapping out last summer sighting in); 2) S&B Zenith Illum Ret. (awesome, but heavy) and 3)the back-up Leupy VX-III 2.5-8X36 (weights nothing and dependable). I think I'm going to leave the Zenith home due to weight, but I haven't put the repaired Swaro through the paces yet.
Don

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
I've had some pretty good variables go through my hands over the years. The ones I've kept are the tough, very reliable 3X and 4X scopes. They take a beating and keep on ticking. Above all, that's what you need in a rifle scope. Particularly when you are a long way from home and the country is mean. E

M
M
I have not really had any scope failures that I know of, been lucky so far. I've only purchased one used scope an ACOG from a reliable source with no problems....

" A true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him" G.K. Chesterton
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Ken14
I have sent 2 Burris' units back...both bit the dust...thank goodness it was at the range..Was once a Burris faithful, but those days and scope numbers are dwindling.

Several years ago on opening day of elk season I had one of their Signature Series scope fog over. It cost me most of a day of hunting to return and get another rifle. Sent it back in and got it back 2 weeks later. Reinstalled and sighted rifle in again months later and put gun away till following season in safe. I was going to hunt with gun the next season and went to range to check the zero and noticed black flakes of something coating the internal lenses. Sent in again for repair. Two times in two seasons with one day afield with rifle. I sure hope it is finally repaired correctly! I think this will be my last Burris.

2Seventy

Member: NRA Life Benefactor
Gun Owners of America
2nd Amendment Foundation
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
If it's a Leupy that's been repaired in their shop, or a Weaver that Frank Ruiz's folks did, it's good to go. Otherwise, why risk a hunt on something you don't trust?

Wayne

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

102 members (300_savage, 35, 10Glocks, 375TN, 6mmCreedmoor, 10 invisible), 1,416 guests, and 865 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,329
Posts18,505,912
Members74,000
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.