Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Primarily I hunt mule deer in Washington State. Country is pretty open, and shots are often on the long side - although we've taken a number of deer at closer ranges.

I've committed to trying Bergers this season. Have worked up a dandy load for the 115 VLD from my .25-06, and am working with both the 168 & 190 VLD's for the .300 WSM. So far results at the range have been very good. Looking forward to trying them on game this coming season. I read the articles by JB/Mule Deer. And re-read them. Asked a few buddies who have used them on game as large as elk, and of course I got the video from Berger and watched it. I'm convinced that at least for deer, these things are well worth trying - particularly when they shoot so well at distance.

Although I've taken nowhere near the amount of game some of you guys have, I've tried a fair number of different bullets and cartridges over the years - generally with very good results. Just thought that these VLD's might be a very good bullet for what I hunt - open country mulies. Sure hope to have a bullet performance report for all this coming fall.

Edited - Bear season is open at the same time, and if I happen across a bear while carrying a rifle loaded with the VLD's - I'll not hesitate to put one in him!

Regards, Guy

Last edited by GuyM; 04/07/08.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
UKdave,

Sorry that you don't feel well and the wish that your better soon.

The sign just reads: "Parallel Parkers Will Be Shot."

I was so impressed by one aspect of the land use in the UK. As I recall most of the housing is clustered in villages/cities and all of the rest of the land is unspoiled by any other house except the original from long ago.

How this matters to me, a hunter, is significant because here in New England USA it seems that every good spot in the countryside has a new house in the middle of it now and therefore no hunting there.

So there in the UK you might very well have a lot open spaces. One could just "google earth" to see that over there. I have provided just one such picture below of the edge of the nearest village to Pembrokeshire, Wales where our friends have a vacation house with a view of the ocean.

What I see are houses or maybe even apartments clustered very close together and then plenty of open land. Be well.

[Linked Image]

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Primarily I hunt mule deer in Washington State. Country is pretty open, and shots are often on the long side - although we've taken a number of deer at closer ranges.

I've committed to trying Bergers this season. Have worked up a dandy load for the 115 VLD from my .25-06, and am working with both the 168 & 190 VLD's for the .300 WSM.

Guy, I hunt Washington as well and also have committed to using
Berger VLD's in my 300 WSM. I would be interested in your
loads and how they are working out.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I can understand the reason people don't want to use match bullets on big game, but it seems the Bergers are working. Has anyone used them and not had good results?

Back in 95 I was Moose hunting in Alberta and there were two other fellas in camp. They were both using 300 Mags (I think one 300 H&H and a 300 Win or both 300 H&H's) One was using 180g SMK the other 150g Win. Silvertips. The one with the SMK shot a bull at 8 yards in the shoulder. From what was described to us the bull kept on going. We never found it (Of course the outfitter never looked for it after a short search). The one with the 150s shot his bull at 12 yards coming in. 12 shots later with some 180 SMKs thrown in it finally succumbed. My friend and I were about a mile away dressing out his bull (One shot 180 NBT) when the shooting started. Sounded like a war. We went over there and the post mortem showed only one or two shot got to the vitals, but the bull was riddled.

With that knowledge I was apprehensive about using the VLD bullets, but I only used them on antelope so far. The results of that one animal showed that I had nothing to worry about. I would like to try them again on antelope and deer.

DDP Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by M1Garand
They were not designed as a hunting bullet and that alone says to me, that they may work, but it also increases the instances they may not.

Just because they were't "designed as a hunting bullet" doesn't mean they won't work as a hunting bullet. Hell, Columbus wasn't looking for the Americas... but that worked out pretty well for us all now didn't it?

To rear children in an atmosphere of love, security, and faith is the most rewarding of all challenges. The good results from such efforts becomes life's most satisfying compensation. ~Gordon B. Hinckley
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by DDP
Just because they were't "designed as a hunting bullet" doesn't mean they won't work as a hunting bullet.

Heck, neither was the VMAX but it's been used. Where did I say they wouldn't work? I said: "...they may work but also increase the chances they may not..." Regardless, just one man's opinion and mine probably wouldn't be to use them. It's someone elses choice if they want to give them a try which is why I posted the pics.

Originally Posted by DDP

Hell, Columbus wasn't looking for the Americas... but that worked out pretty well for us all now didn't it?

And how does this even remotely relate to bullet designswhistle ?

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by DDP
Hell, Columbus wasn't looking for the Americas... but that worked out pretty well for us all now didn't it?

Well, it didn't work well for everyone now did it.........

Originally Posted by Someone
Why pack all that messy meat out of the bush when we can just go to the grocery store where meat is made? Hell,if they sold antlers I would save so much money I could afford to go Dolphin fishing. Maybe even a baby seal safari.
DDP Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by DDP

And how does this even remotely relate to bullet designswhistle ?

Point is: Just because it wasn't the original intent of the designer... doesn't mean that it won't work well in another application.

Originally Posted by DDP
Just because they were't "designed as a hunting bullet" doesn't mean they won't work as a hunting bullet.

Heck, neither was the VMAX but it's been used.

The V-Max was designed as a 'hunting' bullet... for the 'hunting' of varmints. I've seen what a 95 grain V-Max will do to large deer out of a .264 Win. Mag... and it was one of the most decisive kills I've ever seen, including the EXIT wound.

Originally Posted by KodiakHntr
Originally Posted by DDP

Well, it didn't work well for everyone now did it.........

A gunshot wound doesn't really work out well for the recipient either... now does it?

To rear children in an atmosphere of love, security, and faith is the most rewarding of all challenges. The good results from such efforts becomes life's most satisfying compensation. ~Gordon B. Hinckley
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by DDP
Point is: Just because it wasn't the original intent of the designer... doesn't mean that it won't work well in another application.
I agree, but you wouldn't cross the Atlantic in a 12' aluminum boat and 25 hp motor would you? How about an Ultralight? I think when using something it wasn't designed for, it has to be within reason. Not saying the Berger isn't, but I think you've missed my point and took my opinion personally because you probably use them. Not my intent at all.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
This past fall I used 168 gr. Berger VLDs out of a 300 Weatherby Magnum to take 4 antelope. They work quite well at least on antelope. The longest shot was at a buck at 292 yards through the heart. My spotters noted a red mist at the shot. There was a 6 to 8 foot spray of blood on the grass behind where the antelope was shot. [Linked Image]

IC B3

DDP Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Never shot anything but a dozen or so coyotes with them... and said coyotes got [bleep] up in a pretty severe manner. Rather than speculating... I ACTUALLY LOADED SOME UP AND SHOT SOME CRITTERS. What have you shot with them? I wouldn't hesitate to shoot them at deer... why? Because I know how they'll perform. Maybe you should shoot a few before passing judgement... and do a little less of that picture in your avitar.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I never said they wouldn't work, I just gave an opinon and some concerns regarding reliablity. Apparently because I exercised my right of choice in deciding I probably wouldn't use them due to those concerns offends you.

I've been nothing but civil in what I thought was a civil discussion. You made it personal with your childish and condescending attitude from your first post, do you speak to people like this face to face or only when hiding behind a keyboard? I never claimed to have loaded or shot Bergers. I've loaded and shot a majority of the bullets out there and shot my share of animals, including coyotes with HP's, VMAX and next up VG's. I'm here to share experiences and give my opinions based on those and hear of others experiences. If you don't agree, that's your right, we can do so civilly. However if you want to continue to act the way you do, that's your character flaw, not mine. I'll be the bigger man and show a little more class.

DDP Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You haven't offended me... just provided another example of arm-chair ballistics research. You're here to 'share your experiences'... yet have none on the subject at hand?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If you only knew, I've probably fire more types of firearms than you ever will. The only experience I lack here is with Berger bullets. But apparently shooting 30 lb coyotes makes you the resident expert?

DDP Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Nope... just pointing out the fact that you have no experience with the subject matter, yet you pass judgement and discount the ACTUALL FIELD EXPERIENCE of those who've been there/done that. I shoot a lot of coyotes with a lot of bullets, I know what a good deer bullet does to coyotes... do you?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

My first exposure to Berger VLD bullets (other than reading their advertisements) came in an elk camp this fall. A fellow from Wyo had one of the Sakos that came out some time ago chambered for one of the .30 cal Lazzaronis (can't remember the name - the big one) and he loaded it to the gills with the 168-gr Bergers with which - he said - he had slain many head of deer, antelope and cow elk with that year alone in several states. His wife killed a Shiras moose in Utan this fall with the same bullet out of a 300 Win mag. I believed him. He was some kind of oil company technician and a subsistence hunter in that his family lived off of venison of all kinds and exclusively.

His load he said hit 3600 fps and his description of the innards mirrored JB's in that he described them as akin to cranberrry sauce.

This was his elk load too and he had a 6.5-20x Leupold on that Sako and was all enthused about his odds on a 500 or 600-yd bull. He killed one at 100 yds., spining it. Obviously,...it worked in that he had a six point down and out......

It would not be my choice but there it is.

gdv

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by DDP
Nope... just pointing out the fact that you have no experience with the subject matter, yet you pass judgement and discount the ACTUALL FIELD EXPERIENCE of those who've been there/done that. I shoot a lot of coyotes with a lot of bullets, I know what a good deer bullet does to coyotes... do you?

No, I don't, but show me where I've passed judgement or discounted anyone. And yes I've seen what a "deer" bullet does to a coyote with a 270 and a SP. I've also taken them with the 17 HMR, 22 mag, 204 and 223.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
How does killing a dozen or so coyotes, prove the worth of a bullet on deer???

I kill many coyotes a year with 40 gr BT's out of a 250, don't make it a deer bullet, by any stretch of the imagination, no matter how quick the yotes drop.

Seems to me, that as far as use on critters bigger than 40lb coyotes(tops), DDP is just speculating as well. Maybe after next hunting season, he could let us know how his "ACTUAL FIELD EXPERIENCE" on DEER, turned out.

RO

DDP Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm comparing the results to another hundred or so dogs I've shot with various other "deer" bullets... pretty easy to do the frickin math. I'm not claiming I have a ton of experience... but I'm willing to listen to those who have, like JB. Most would rather hide behind a lable and computer screen and speculate on bullet performance. I expected them to perform in a similar manner to a Ballistic Tip... they did. I'd also expect that to carry over to larger critters... according to much ACTUALL CRITTER SHOOTING by those far mor qualified than me to judge... it has. Shooting coyotes with a 40 grainer gives you no idea of how a deer bullet should perform... shooting them with 'deer' bullet out of deer rifles does.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thanks for the tips, I'll try to remember that 40lb yote is on par with a 250-300 lb white tail, for "deer" bullet comparison.

So basically in summation, you shot a few yotes with deer bullets, then read an article by John and figured you'd connect the dots, as per your "Actuall Critter Shooting"

Fair nuff........

RO

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

79 members (ar33c9, 10gaugemag, anothergun, 44automag, 7 invisible), 811 guests, and 791 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,845
Posts18,517,387
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.