Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
DDP Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Better than shooting phone books or some other type "media"...

To rear children in an atmosphere of love, security, and faith is the most rewarding of all challenges. The good results from such efforts becomes life's most satisfying compensation. ~Gordon B. Hinckley
GB1

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
You know this is all fine and dandy, until a real-world experience occurs where conditions are less than perfect.

So you use your bergers, because you tested them on a few coyotes....You take them out deer hunting....250 meters out there's the buck of a lifetime, a mature adult boomer deer. You snuggle in, touch one off as he bounces forward because he spooked at a coyote....Now you've slipped one into his paunch, and he's running away hard quartering.

So you what? Rely on your coyote bullet to kill him with a hard raking shot through the hip?

I don't have to jump off a bridge at low water to know that I'm not going to like the results....Even though someone else jumped from the same bridge at high water and had good results....

Originally Posted by Someone
Why pack all that messy meat out of the bush when we can just go to the grocery store where meat is made? Hell,if they sold antlers I would save so much money I could afford to go Dolphin fishing. Maybe even a baby seal safari.
DDP Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I bet you dollars to donuts that a Berger in the paunch will kill a lot quicker than a TSX. And, it's not a coyote bullet... it's a deer bullet all the way.

If you shot say 100 coyotes with a particular bullet that had also killed say... two dozen big game animals, you'd probably have a pretty good idea of what to expect, right? You should also be able to draw a pretty good comparison to another bullet based on the way it performs in the same media... right? That's what I'm saying. There's a lot of guys both on this board and afield that have shot tons more big game than I have... but I don't know anyone, and have met very few, who've shot more coyotes than I have. I know what a good 'big game' bullet does to dogs... and I know what 'match' bullets do to dogs... the Berger is definately a lot closer to the former than the latter.

To rear children in an atmosphere of love, security, and faith is the most rewarding of all challenges. The good results from such efforts becomes life's most satisfying compensation. ~Gordon B. Hinckley
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Well maybe if you had introduced yourself as Randy Anderson, we could have save ourselves this discussion......

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Dunno about that. I've shot probably 50 coyotes with X bullets out of my 264 mag, and probably another 20 or 30 this year with my 300RUM using NBT's....
I know that the 40 or so big game critters I've hammered with my 264 using X bullets did not exhibit the damage shown that coyotes did using the EXACT SAME LOAD. From this, I was able to extrapolate the damage done to coyotes from NBT's made them unsuitable to shoot into Big Game Animals in my particular applications.

Why pack all that messy meat out of the bush when we can just go to the grocery store where meat is made? Hell,if they sold antlers I would save so much money I could afford to go Dolphin fishing. Maybe even a baby seal safari.
IC B2

DDP Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by RiverOtter
Well maybe if you had introduced yourself as Randy Anderson, we could have save ourselves this discussion......

Maybe if you'd introduced yourself as John Nosler I wouldn't have argued either....

Been fortunate enough to grow up and live in some great coyote country... they're far and away my favorite critter to pursue.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Just so I understand here, by shooting coyotes with a deer bullet you can predict how it will perform in a 200+ lb deer with far different anatomical and bone structure regardless of variables? Yet when I give an opinion on a bullet that was designed as a match bullet with a thin jacket, soft lead and loses 60% of it's weight in ballistic media based on my loading, shooting and hunting experience, I have no dog in that fight to give such an opinion, yet you do? And without ever shooting one?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Pretty much!

Give or take...............<grin>

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Pretty much par for the course around here though...

DDP Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yep...

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thinking because a bullet perfoms in one animal it will in another is inexperience at it's finest. So anatomical differences mean nothing to you? Let me know when you shoot a deer, until then, your opinion holds no more water than mine. In the meantime, maybe you can recommend a bullet for elk or grizzly based on how they work on coyotes? Or maybe any potential African hunters?

DDP Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Funny... when a company releases a new bullet they usually shoot a bunch of cull deer or whatever. Then they draw performance inferences regarding how it will work on larger critters... like Elk. A bull elk weighs 4-5 times what a Texas whitetail does... but they make assuptions based on the performance in said whitetail. It's not like you can run around and shoot 100 elk with the new 250 grain/.338 Accubond, so some educated assuptions must be made. A Muley buck weighs 4-5 times what a coyote does... but somehow that comparison doesn't work?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You're absolutely right. But those assumptions from the manufacturer mean NOTHING to me until I see some field reports. I don't know how many times some bullet or another has been proclaimed as "the next great elk bullet," and then actual field testing by hunters proves otherwise.

The first version of the speer grand slam was a great example. They called it an elk bullet without EVERY SHOOTING AN ELK with it. A few field reports came in with it blowing up on the shoulder because it was a little more fragile than they thought...

DDP Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
You're absolutely right. But those assumptions from the manufacturer mean NOTHING to me until I see some field reports.

Kind of like the article by JB on the effectiveness of Bergers on big game?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yup, that's a good example. I'm not disputing the effectiveness of Berger's on game, as I've never shot one before. I'm simply adding to the discussion about claims that manufacturers make without having done any testing.

DDP Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
They're pretty good about testing... but at the end of the day some 'educated assumptions' must be made. Whatever projectile you choose, I reckon confidence is paramount. How's it go... 90% of the game is half mental?

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Or you can watch "Best of the West" and see animals from antelope to grizzly killed with the Berger's. Of course you would have to take what they say on face value just like anything else a person hasn't tried. But, they are showing it and JB is writing it. It might be worth trying. Or a person can stay with what he knows and still be happy.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
The first version of the speer grand slam was a great example. They called it an elk bullet without EVERY SHOOTING AN ELK with it. A few field reports came in with it blowing up on the shoulder because it was a little more fragile than they thought...

The early Nosler BT's are another good example until they thickened the jacket after field reports rolled in.

Originally Posted by DDP

Kind of like the article by JB on the effectiveness of Bergers on big game?

For once I agree with you and his excellent report is basically what the article I posted the pics from found as well. Though I have concerns, I don't dispute anyones first hand knowledge or experience. What I dispute is the way you acted like your opinon held more water than mine when you've not shot anything larger than a coyote. Kinda like me saying my opinion on shooting elephants with a 7 x 57 holds more water than someone else's because I shot some deer with it.

Last edited by M1Garand; 04/10/08.
DDP Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Not at all... I probably sounded that way, no harm intended. It just bugs the crap out of me when guys shoot stuff down without ever actually shooting it. Sorry if I sounded like a dick.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I did get to see a black bear killed, via Berger, on that BOTW show, but in all fairness, it was 728yards out. Not that the guy didn't make a good shot, but he wasn't exactly up close and personal if the bullet failed, either. All I thought was, what if that bear didn't go down and they had to go looking for it in the brush? Would that dude feel just as good about said bullet at 7.28 yards??? With a head on shot at a moving bear...

All I can say is that I hope these bullets live up to their newly aquired hype. Cause if guys start driving them at bears at normal hunting ranges and the bullets fail to perform, things could get sporty.

RO

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

503 members (222Sako, 29aholic, 12344mag, 1badf350, 10ring1, 3040Krag, 41 invisible), 1,721 guests, and 1,196 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,010
Posts18,520,630
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.