Hop To
Page 4 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 10 11
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by goodnews

Roe

As a "low-mount Taliban", I feel much better being called a fundamentalist. grin

Gdv

I'm so relieved - thank you much.

May you never get "scoped" with your Talib.. ahmm fundamental low mounted sighting devices ("medicus cura te ipsum", you know)

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Well, I'm touched that you care Roe grin. I have scoped much but never been "scoped" myself-even with my Lott-and hope to keep it that way.

We all have different ways of doing things. Isn't it wonderful? grin

Have a great week!

Gdv

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
To all who responded to the Jon Sundra thing:
I learned about this forum from a friend and colleague of mine, Bryce Towsley; otherwise I wouldn't have known about it. I've logged onto 24-hour Campfire only a couple of times in the past and...well, let's just say that, based on the typical comments I saw posted about gun writers, I have to say I am pleasantly surprised and somewhat humbled. I don't really get a lot of reader mail, but on those occasions when I get one that tells me I've been an influence on their life or that I've simply brought a little enjoyment or enlightenment to them, it makes what I've been doing these past 38 years more than worthwhile. This forum, therefore, is an embarrassment of riches. For all those positive postings, I am sincerely appreciative.

Now to set some things straight!

To the guy who doesn't like the way I spell my name:
It really is "John." Back in 1966 when I submitted my first article, I chose "Jon" for my pen name because, back then, it was unusual, and I wanted it to stand out from other John bylines. Today, of course, it is a common spelling.

As for the crooked little cigars, they're Parodi's, Italian Toscano-style cigars that I've been smoking for 40 years. However, like Bill Clinton, I don't inhale.

And I've driven my Lamborghini to the shooting range only once, and that was because my son was having his car serviced and had borrowed my...Honda! It won't be the last time, however.

Thank you all again.

Jon R. Sundra

Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
Jon,

Welcome to the campfire. I've been reading your stuff for a while and you're one of the reasons I rebarreled a 308 to 7mm-08. The rifle is now on its second 7mm-08 barrel too. I hope you hang out for a while like your other brother John (Mule Deer).

RH

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Welcome to the Fire! I hope that you will show back up regularly. As I said above you helped me get started in my beloved hobby. When I was too young to buy loaded ammo I saved up money and bought reloading equipment and yours and the late great Bob Milek's articles helped me get started. I also bedded my first rifle following your instructions.
After a couple hundred rifles later I've come a ways since then but I still remember and appreciate the people that help me get started, Many Thanks.

And BTW, which Lamboghini?................................DJ

Remember this is all supposed to be for fun.......................
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Welcome to the fire John. I have been reading your stuff since 1969 or so. I always thought it was enjoyable.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Jon,

We could always use the input from another gunwriter around the 'fire. Hope you'll up a log, get comfortable, and hang around.

Brent

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
John (aka Jon),
Good to have you with us. I always enjoyed your writings, and look forward to your input into the forum. Its good to have another "Low Scope Mount Nazi" around.
Bandukwallah

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
You are to blame for my using Leupold 6X42 scopes & spending a lot of money on guns. I appreciate your writing.

Life Members SCI & NRA. NRA Instructor & RSO. What have YOU done to support hunting & gun rights?
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Welcome, Jon, and don't be a stranger.

Landrum

IC B3

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
It's a Gallardo. I looked at the Murcie but it's too big and, to my mind, not as beautiful or aggressive looking. Mine is silver, E-gear, with the transparant engine bonnet. It doesn't suck.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by 7mmJRS
It's a Gallardo. I looked at the Murcie but it's too big and, to my mind, not as beautiful or aggressive looking. Mine is silver, E-gear, with the transparant engine bonnet. It doesn't suck.
Pictures? Got Pictures?

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Steve1: Your not looking in the right magazines! I'm Field Editor or SCI's SAFARI Magazine: Rifle Editor for SHOOTING ILLUSTRATED; Contributing Editor to AMERICAN RIFLEMAN, AMERICAN HUNTER, RIFLE SHOOTER, PREDATOR EXTREME, VARMINT HUNTER and GUN HUNTER magazines; sole author and editor of the COMPLETE RIFLEMAN, now in its 19th. year; Editor-in-Chief, MOSSBERG'S GUN ANNUAL; and as of June, Hunting Editor of a new start-up magazine called Traveling Sportsman that will specialize in exotic hunting and fishing destinations around the world. You won't find any Whitetail stories in this magazine!

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Yeah, I got pictures, but I'm not sure how to go about posting them.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Bandukwallah
John (aka Jon),
Good to have you with us. I always enjoyed your writings, and look forward to your input into the forum. Its good to have another "Low Scope Mount Nazi" around.
Bandukwallah

Play nice, Banduk!

BTW 1 - welcome to the 'Fire, Jon.
It's good to have another writer collegue around - even when he seems to be a low scope mount fundamentalist (you listen, Banduk?).

BTW 2: Jon, in SCI Magazine March/April p. 102 I found another picture of you, in another typical "fundamentalist" shooting position: straight stock, straight upper body, which is the reaso for only 20-25 % butt pad support (OUCH!)

BTW 3: I'm well known here for a) my bad English and n) telling it "like it is". So please excuse my Gun Boat Diplomacy "politeness" (guess I'm too old for adopting the Chinese way of smiling).

roe

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Roe Deer: You are quite correct. I actually plan to use the particular picture you refer to to illustrate that a high, straight comb is not really compatible with iron sights. To get down low enough to align `em, you find yourself pulling the rifle up higher on the shoulder. I hope you'll think me a little less stupid now.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Dear Jon,

Welcome aboard, good to see an old colleague around the fire.

Tom

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Anyone who has a successful career as a gunwriter has done something very right. I appreciate your work over the years and your presence here. Thanks, Ward

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Jon just wanted say welcome aboard and that I have very much enjoyed your writings for years. Matter of fact, it was an article some years back that prompted me to purchase my first laminate stocked rifle, a Remington 700 APR in 300 WM. Should have gotten Ferrari though......grin

Roy

R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
John, I am glad you posted on my thread. Please stick around!!!

Page 4 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

521 members (17CalFan, 1lesfox, 10gaugeman, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 219DW, 57 invisible), 3,510 guests, and 1,180 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,638
Posts18,533,486
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.