Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
VERY nice picture, color me jealous.

Personally, my training last year consisted mostly of death marches. I backpacked at least two thirds of the weekends between May and hunting season, under the guise of 'hunting' or 'scouting'. Other than that, I train like Greenhorn and Brad. I felt it got me in appropriate shape. How intense of mountains are there in Georgia?

Good luck.

Carl

Empirical results rule!
GB1

docdb Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I don't think there is a 5000ft peak in the state.....we can do steep, just not for very long!
Don

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Probably nothing conditions one better than actually simulating what we are preparing for. I live in flatland too so as close as I could come was strapping on a sixty pound backpack and make trips up and down the high scool bleachers. Which just happen to be across the road from my house. We have all heard stories of marathon runners that fell out on a mountain hunt once they threw a pack on and started climbing. The guide I had in Alaska said he had a sheep client last year that was a body builder. He said to look at him he was in great physical condition but it became evident that he hadn't trained enough for the mountains. Each day he got worse and was unable to keep up. The hunter had a miserable time and went home empty handed.

My guide and I spot for goats in the Coast Mountains BC 2005.
[Linked Image]

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N

Here's my disclosure, I'm overweight, but loosing and active.

I've never been goat hunting, but we have some nice rugged mountains up here that tire anyone out. I try to hike a few days a week around the house on logging roads with the dog, I'd estimate about 1000 feet of elevation change in the 2.5 miles I do.

When I'm on the road traveling, I bring a very light pack and put my computer and files in it while I'm on the treadmill - I fluxuate the incline from 9.5 to 5 and know I'm working.

My take is you're already ahead of the game and keeping your head in it, you'll be fine.

Mike.

It's good to lead - it's better to lead by example.
B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
I trained even harder for my sheep hunt last year than I did for my goat hunts the two previous years. I had some circumstances come up where I was unable to keep up my training a couple weeks prior to my hunt. I feel partially because of that I injured my back during my hunt. Fortunately I was able to borrow the guides rifle and take a ram while I was still able to. If nothing else I learned a valuable lesson to keep the conditioning up right until the time to go no matter what.

[Linked Image]

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Good photos guys!

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
V
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
V
Very inspiring postings on this subject. I certainly have tons of respect for those of you who have been able to drop the weight.

5 years ago I was a fat 268 lbs and WAS on a CPAP machine due to sleep apnea. Having two older brothers pass away plus my burning desire to flyfish the remote regions of the Windrivers got me on the treadmill. I started with NO weight and huffed and puffed for 5 minutes. Several months later of persistance led me to carrying 60-70 lbs and having the treadmill bed up to a 20 % incline and hiking for 35 minutes in order to keep my heart rate up in the aerobic zone. If you haven't heard of the book, "Younger Next Year", it's a great book written to help those folks over 50years old. It was referred to me by a customer in AZ and it has helped me drop the weight and feel younger again. Also, I use Probars as a meal replacement, I have dropped the bread out of my diet and also the desserts. I dropped 11 inches off of my waist and decreased MY weight by 60 lbs to 208 right now. I am still on the treadmill 5-6 days a week in the mornings. Charlie J.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Vigilguy; 04/23/08.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Charlie, I have the UTMOST respect for guys that make a decision like yours and DO IT! AWESOME!

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
yep kudos from AK as well Charlie

that's gettin it done, no matter how you slice it

cracked rib is pizzin me off, time to buck up and suffer through

"This ain't dress rehearsal....it's the life you get to live, make it a good one."

TEAMWORK = a bunch of people doing what I say
B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Good for you Charlie! My hat is off to you as well!

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
+ 1

Good for you, Charlie!
smile

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

docdb Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Charlie, nice job, now we just have to get you a decent backpack!
Don
PS in case you didn't know, my tongue is firmly in cheek (Dan is on my speed dial)

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That's very impressive, Charlie! Congratulations!

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Congratulations Charlie! Nothing more powerful than an idea whose time has come!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Training is half the fun, anyhow...
grin

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Sadist laugh

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Vigil- NICE! Congrats!

Keep the pics coming fella's, you might just get me motivated to work out tomorrow... wink

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Nothing inspires me more than imaging myself back in goat country. I often work out on the elliptical while watching video of my past mountain hunts or those of others. I have asked my wife to have my ashes spread in a place like this when I die.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by pointer
Vigil- NICE! Congrats!

Keep the pics coming fella's, you might just get me motivated to work out tomorrow... wink

Maybe this will keep ya on the couch and convince ya that backpacking ain't all its cracked up to be. laugh

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Nah... I've found that talking about trips like that are much more fun after the fact than during! laugh

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

658 members (1badf350, 007FJ, 160user, 10gaugemag, 1936M71, 1234, 64 invisible), 2,789 guests, and 1,314 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,371
Posts18,469,224
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.