Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Kahuna Emeritus &
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Kahuna Emeritus &
Campfire Outfitter
I've killed a few big game animals, between a lifetime spent whacking stuff in the USA, Canada and a few trips to Africa. Honestly, I have never had what I would call a bullet failure; not a single one.

Prolly 98% of the critters died, or at least fell, within fifty feet and fully 75+% of them were dead upon impact .. Bang-Flop. Maybe a dozen animals (out of several hundred) staggered to fifty yards. I cannot remember one that went further. And I've never lost a big game animal.

Nope, I've never had a single bullet failure.

BUT, if I'm reading right, a lot of "experts" would think that a more than a few of my bullets experienced what they so knowingly call "failure." gringrin The experts are soooo wise.

Frankly, I'm awfully simple-minded. If a bullet impacts precisely the intended spot and kills the big game animal dead-right-there, I believe that the bullet did not fail. It's as simple as that.

If the bullet will not shoot with acceptable accuracy, or if it is not capable of both penetrating to and destroying the vitals, then the shooter is likely to experience what I would think of as a "bullet failure." I've never been in this situation, mostly because I pick my bullets awfully carefully.

Personally, given today's choices, I believe the shooter is in as much danger of selecting a bullet that is too tough as one that is unacceptably soft.

Just my thoughts......

Steve

"God Loves Each Of Us As If There Were Only One Of Us"
Saint Augustine of Hippo - AD 397

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Snuck up to 30 feet from a spike bull elk, the shot was nearly perfectly placed behind the front shoulder but the snow ball broke up on the hide and didn't get any penetration. The shot taken was an over hand right, open sights, at maximum velocity, without a rest.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Royce
Bullshooter
Thanks for the information. I would be very interested in trying some of those bullets if they met the following criteria-

{snip}

Any additional information you could provide me would be greatly appreciated

Royce

Uh-oh! There appears to be a goodly amount of mission creep taking place here. Original specs called only for a bullet that could write.

Perhaps you would be interested in a bullet patented by gun writer and ballistician Art Pejsa:

Originally Posted by Abstract of Patent 4776279

An improved expanding ballistic projectile is disclosed which has an inner core of dense relatively soft, deformable material, and an outer jacket of malleable material. A central axial recess is provided in the nose portion of the inner core and a central opening is provided in the nose of the outer jacket coincident with the recess in the inner core. A generally cylindrical expansion-initiating insert member, having a generally symmetrically tapered rear portion and a generally symmetrically tapered nose portion and of a hardness greater than the inner core, is disposed in the recess. This cooperates with a plurality of circumferentially spaced longitudinal slits formed in the outer jacket to achieve controlled uniform expansion upon impact.

Right!

--Bob

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks for the replies.

It was asked for conversation's sake mostly.

See Paul? I'm contributing!
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
The only one who offered useless info was the useless pr*ck seal head.

See Paul? I'm contributing!
IC B2

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I find a bullet that commonly results in a lot of bloodshot meat and bone chips fits more in my defintion of a failure.

I shoot such little deer that I would rather have them trot off a few yards and fall over than be DRT if it saves ten poounds of meat.

I had a doe tag last year to fill just before elk season. I used my .338 as I have a few times before.

This time I used my practice load with a 225 Hornady FB which I had never shot anything but a few varmints with. Usually I use a Bearclaw or Partition.

I don't plan on using that load on a 150 lb mule deer doe again.
It killed it dead but I lost the near side shoulder. I shot her 6 inches or so behind the shoulder crease as well.

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Originally Posted by Mauser96
The only one who offered useless info was the useless pr*ck seal head.

Correction:

You forgot to include yourself; but then again, somethings are a dead given anyway.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
DZ,

You are well aware of the 40grBT failure I had on the bobcat. I did not go 'yote hunting this past winter but will be following up this winter. I still have the same batch of bullets.

MtnHtr

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
My experience is: most bullet 'failures' are failures of the shooter to use the right bullet at the right time on the right thing.

Too old to suffer fools
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I believe that most (99.9999...%) bullet failures are in fact hunter errors. If you put ANY bullet THROUGH an ungulates ribs it will die perhaps not instantly but it will die usually with in a few yards. I read somewhere that in Alaska the Inuits often use a 22 caliber rifle and shoot caribou or moose through the ribs and then trail them. Yes this is subsistence hunting not sport but the lesson is clear these animals die. I think the enough gun argument may be valid in Africa or any other place where large dangerous game exist and needs to be put down before great harm comes to the shooter but for hunting deer it is immaterial. Deer can practically be killed with rocks if you hit them RIGHT. Hunters look to almost any excuse for their lousy often irresponsible shooting - long range, bad angles, hail marys etc.. Any modern sporting bullet in a center fire firearm is down right deadly. But the same cannot be said of your average hunter. Heck myself included.

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.
IC B3

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
When Ballistic Tips first came out we had troubles with them not getting enough penetration, especially if the animal was shot in the shoulder. We guided several pronghorn and deer hunters that lost animals because of this, one of which we saw the deer a couple of weeks later with just a scar on the shoulder. However my father-in-law shoots them now in a 300 win mag at pigs and loves them and has great luck. I think that may have been a flaw in the beginning that they corrected. I am still skeptical and will only shoot them at varmints though.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Prw..,

Yep. With whitetails it's more about where you hit'em, not with what.

Too old to suffer fools
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by treedreddeer
When Ballistic Tips first came out we had troubles with them not getting enough penetration, especially if the animal was shot in the shoulder. We guided several pronghorn and deer hunters that lost animals because of this, one of which we saw the deer a couple of weeks later with just a scar on the shoulder. However my father-in-law shoots them now in a 300 win mag at pigs and loves them and has great luck. I think that may have been a flaw in the beginning that they corrected. I am still skeptical and will only shoot them at varmints though.

tre..,

Yeah. It's pretty well established early Bal Tips blew up. Handloaded some for a friend when they first came out. He claimed to have put an otherwise killing shot on a small whitetail buck which ran off. In thirty years of hunting with the guy it was the only deer he ever lost and he was generally a better field shot than me. According to gunwriters on this forum, the problem is corrected.

Still have that box of bullets but use them for siters and such. Have used other Bal tips for vermin as they are wicked accurate. Bought some 250gr Bal Tips for my 9.3X62 and plan to use them on deer, just haven't got to it yet.

O

Too old to suffer fools
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I shot an average sized 5 point whitetail buck with a 6.5X55 and a handloaded 140gr Speer hot-cor. Shot was right behind the shoulder and the deer didnt go far but the bullet "failed" to do what i wanted of it. It didnt fully penetrate the buck so when he jumped back into the mountain laurels it was a little hard trackin without a blood trail until around 35yds or so. a 140gr bullet @ 2,700 fps aint exactly traveling at light speed and the deer was probably around 150lbs on the hoof. I have had every bullet, 120,129,130, and 140grs always go right through em and thats the way i like it, suffice it to say i dont use that bullet any more.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Originally Posted by Prwlr
I believe that most (99.9999...%) bullet failures are in fact hunter errors. If you put ANY bullet THROUGH an ungulates ribs it will die perhaps not instantly but it will die usually with in a few yards. I read somewhere that in Alaska the Inuits often use a 22 caliber rifle and shoot caribou or moose through the ribs and then trail them. Yes this is subsistence hunting not sport but the lesson is clear these animals die. I think the enough gun argument may be valid in Africa or any other place where large dangerous game exist and needs to be put down before great harm comes to the shooter but for hunting deer it is immaterial. Deer can practically be killed with rocks if you hit them RIGHT. Hunters look to almost any excuse for their lousy often irresponsible shooting - longer range than they are practiced at, bad angles, hail marys etc.. Any modern sporting bullet in a center fire firearm is down right deadly. But the same cannot be said of your average hunter. Heck myself included.

Fixed it for you.
I've personaly seen more deer "wounded & lost" by guys shooting at ranges under 50yd (while eating off a bait pile) than I have at ranges over 300yd. Go to a public range during hunter "sight in" sometime, and you'll see what I mean.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Bullets don't fail- The shotter fails to do his job.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

395 members (01Foreman400, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 1minute, 204guy, 1beaver_shooter, 55 invisible), 2,548 guests, and 1,248 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,204
Posts18,503,791
Members73,994
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.