Last edited by David_Walter; 12/21/07.

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
GB1

O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
I haven't seen one in person, the system I use for scouting/hunting (2 days out and less) utilizes my always carried fanny pack that supports the weight of a small backpack. (similar to the nimrod) It took me many tries to make it work properly and even now I only use it for light loads. I know they build a fair bit of equipment for fire fighting etc. so I suspect they have it working pretty well. It looks like it would have to be loaded properly to provide the right support and that is how my rig works as well.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
David I will look around and see if I can find the one I have.If I can find it stop by the house and you can have it.It is not the full pack just the fanny pack.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I found it.Call me on my cell and let me know when you will be on this side.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I had one and sold it. I do have the meat bag mounted on a coleman peak one frame.

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Elim

PM sent

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
M
M
Kind of a late response, I haven't been on this board in a long time and don't post much.
I have an older version of the "Wilderness collapsible" that I hunted with for eight years or so. I used the pack bag on it to carry out the first elk quarter four or five times. It is quiet and you can carry a liter of water, some emergency gear, and the bag without much trouble. On the other hand, the aluminum stays for the pack bag don't fit in the butt pack, so you can't carry those with you. Also, the wide hipbelt isn't stiff enough to stand up to the weight of a quarter, it starts rolling and you carry a lot of weight on your shoulders.

I saw their booth at the RMEF Elk Camp a couple of years ago and they have added stays to the hipbelt, so that last problem might have been fixed.

The last two years I've carried an Eberlestock J-105, as I really like being able to carry a quarter out on my first trip back to camp. I'm not sure I'll stay with it, due to the extra weight of the J-105 and the extra bulk of a full daypack, but it carries a load a lot more comfortably than the Nimrod.

R
R
Haven't been over on this board for a long time, but here's my take.

I have the Apex system and the collabsible gear bag. I carry the lumbar pack nearly every day when out with the dogs and have for the last 3+ years and the pack is still good as new. The gear will fold up and fit in the mesh pocket in the lumbar pack as will the stays, you just slide them out of the bag and then fold the bag around them.

Last year I used the lumbar pack with the gear bag exclusively for backpacking and put on about 400 miles. The unit carries nicely, handles all the weight I want to carry and is handy once you get to camp. Just unclip the gear bag, load up your day trip stuff in the lumbar pack and head out for hiking, hunting, fishing or whatever. Back in camp all your gear is safely stored and organized in the gear bag.

The guide/spotter pack alone is nice for longer hikes or day hunts in cooler weather when you may need more clothing/gear.

The apex system also works great for weekend overnight trip and you can still pack the gear bag with you. Perfect if tag something...bone it or quarter it, load up the gear bag, you carry the guide/spotter in your free hand or leave it and retrieve with your next meat haul.

For me the system works very well. I am still tweaking my backpacking gear, as we all do, and fine tuning constantly. It is the only pack I now own. I gave all my other gear to my nephews who are starting their backpacking career in Boy Scouts.

Hope that helps.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

667 members (10gaugemag, 007FJ, 10Glocks, 10ring1, 12344mag, 160user, 73 invisible), 2,289 guests, and 1,362 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,955
Posts18,480,430
Members73,954
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.