-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I hadn't really thought about this, but good topic guys. Don't they make some hard plastic spikes for self defense that are disquised as ink pens? I could swear I've seen these in some of the catalogs I've gotten in the past.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by BW
You guys do know that in first class you get metal silverware. At least we do on Alaska Air.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
My BIL is a pilot for Alaska Air and my sister is a flight attendant for them, both have been there over twenty years. You roll up one of her magazines and it isn't an emergency, she'll beat you with it, she's mean!! grin

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Arkypete,
My friend does the same thing with the belt but he enlarged a hole so that a Master combination/keyed lock can attach to it.
Or you can double up the belt with the lock at the end.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A Cd disc can be broken in half they make a nasty cutting weapon. Salt and pepper shakers a hand full of pepper in someones face could give you the edge.
Someone said a magazine, very good rap it around your forearm and tape in place to fend off attacks with sharp weapons.
Ladies fingernail polish remover, nasty stuff in the eyes.
Rat tail combs and brushes.
Keep a wood ruler in your briefcase, give it a sharp twist when you break it and it will have a nice point.
Does anyone know where you can do the most damage with these sharp weapons? Eyes, side of the head, throat,neck at base of skull, Femoral arteries, arm pits.Avoid the torso takes to to much penetration and results are slow.

Pat

Last edited by HOOKER; 06/21/08.

"In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a brave and scarce man, hated and scorned.
When the cause succeeds, however, the timid join him...for then it cost nothing to be a patriot."
_ Mark Twain
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have been through several training classes on edged weapons, defense against and using improvised weapons. My keychain is a fob style with the fob being the metal chain chin strap off a horse bridal. Looks innocent enough but works for a mace very well. Parker or Cross pens have a strong solid barrel, aim for the eyes, throat and sinus cavity. Wrap a shirt or jacket loosely around the arm to help deflect the attackers edged weapon and/or pull your seat cushion. Remember its a flotation device with two straps on it. Those slide over the forearm just like the old viking shield. If you can tackle the sum bitch and then wrap him up in a little ball with some duct tape that I carry in my carry on. If you have to fight with him, remember that its going to be bloody, nasty and tight confines. There will be sheeple all around you that will watch in horror and do nothing. The world is full of folks that will do nothing. I will not die because I sat and did nothing. Have the mind frame that you are going to win, feel fear but don't be afraid. You are probably gonna get cut and stabbed, but many a fella has lived through it. If you can take a class from Mike Janich, he is one of the best. Ryan

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My attitude is all I need. I'll make a weapon out of damn near anything if I am on a plane with any person endangering my life/and or the plane and other passengers. Many, many ordinary objects on a plane are ready-made weapons. A laptop has some heft, and smashing someone in the face/head with it would be incapacitating. A belt for strangling, a pencil/pen through the eye or throat, a can of Bloody Mary mix in a pair of socks, whatever. I would say that people who actually know a thing or two about fighting/defense/doing violence and are pretty well prepared even in a spontaneous event like a jacking, but even if you weren't brought up a brawler, I think being prepared *mentally*, as in, getting on every plane you get on knowing that if, God forfend, the plane gets 'jacked, then you'll fight the bastards any way you can from jump, with it ending either when they are dead or you are is about as good as it's going to get. I know I do, every time. That all said, a metal pen or sharpened pencil would probably be the first thing I'd reach for.

L

Last edited by lhonda; 06/22/08.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Tightly rolled magazines can be very very effective, like cell phones hold in a certain position, pens used on hands articulations, caps ....

I've never been a criminal for knowing that !!!! After an aggression that sent me to hospital I went to Hap Kido school and we had some lessons about self defence with usual objects ... And it worked pretty good (but some pratice is needed).

Va t'in tch�re !
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Several have mentioned everyday items that can be used for self defense by a trained person. I have not flown since 9/11 but my self-defense training started in 1969. A part of my training included the use of traditional weapons. The basic self-defense training included the use of common everyday items that can be employed as weapons.

I recently had to pass through a metal detector at a large theme park and they would not let me take my tiny little Swiss army knife inside the park. What a joke. I was carring half a dozen other items that were much more effective weapons than that tiny little pen knife and could get my hands on countless items inside the park that were more deadly than a pocket knife. Idiots. I guess it makes Joe Public feel safer to go through a metal detector. crazy

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Edmund Burke 1795

"Give me liberty or give me death"
Patrick Henry 1775
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The deadliest weapon on the aircraft is the large glass wine bottles. One blow from a full bottle will mash a human,s skull. If that doesn�t do the trick- break the bottle on a stainless oven in the kitchen area and take out his throat with one swipe. He will bleed to death in less than 3 mins. I laugh at these people that take away 1/2 inch scisors.

It is better to be judged by 12 than to be carried by 6.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've been on several overseas flights and have been served beer in a glass bottle. That'll work.

IC B3

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Heeman
Arkypete,
My friend does the same thing with the belt but he enlarged a hole so that a Master combination/keyed lock can attach to it.
Or you can double up the belt with the lock at the end.

I've done that too. Not with the belt, but I brought two "locks" on board in my carry on. One lock was one of those with the long cable that they include with firearms nowadays, and the other was a very large and heavy Master key lock. Soon as you get on board, you reach inside the carry on luggage at your feet and attach them together. Very nice mace.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hawkeye, just bring one of your pit bulls along, everybody would behave. grin

A government is the most dangerous threat to man�s rights: it holds a legal monopoly on the use of physical force against legally disarmed victims.
T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by HOOKER
A Cd disc can be broken in half they make a nasty cutting weapon. Salt and pepper shakers a hand full of pepper in someones face could give you the edge.
Someone said a magazine, very good rap it around your forearm and tape in place to fend off attacks with sharp weapons.
Ladies fingernail polish remover, nasty stuff in the eyes.
Rat tail combs and brushes.
Keep a wood ruler in your briefcase, give it a sharp twist when you break it and it will have a nice point.
Does anyone know where you can do the most damage with these sharp weapons? Eyes, side of the head, throat,neck at base of skull, Femoral arteries, arm pits.Avoid the torso takes to to much penetration and results are slow.

Pat
Great post. Never thought of making armor with glossy magazines, but that's a great idea. In the 9/11 plane take overs, they would have had lots of time and opportunity to make all sorts of improvised weapons/armor, had the thought occurred to them. Your armor idea could also be used to make a breast plate (two open mags crisscrossing) and a belly guard, if you brought a role of duct tape along.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Problem is how do you approach the terrorist when he has a box cutter blade to a screaming stewardess�s throat. Not an easy thing to do.

Last edited by 378Canuck; 06/22/08.

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by 378Canuck
Problem is how do you approach the terrorist when he has a box cutter blade to a screaming stewardess.
Under those circumstances, if you cannot find a better opportunity, you have to assume the entire plane, along with a sky-scraper or two, are going down if you don't simply ignore the screaming stewardess whose throat he's holding a box cutter to.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The story told from the way I heard it was that the plane was being hi-jacked, not turned into a missile. So of course the passengers would think that they would be rerouted to a foreign airport and all would be well, as usually happens with all hi-jacked aircraft.

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
The story told from the way I heard it was that the plane was being hi-jacked, not turned into a missile. So of course the passengers would think that they would be rerouted to a foreign airport and all would be well, as usually happens with all hi-jacked aircraft.
That was then. This is now. Would you assume that anymore?

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by shreck
Hawkeye, just bring one of your pit bulls along, everybody would behave. grin
The Pitbulls go in main baggage.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
That was then. This is now. Would you assume that anymore?

I�m sure if I knew that we were going down,I�d certainly get a few fellas gathered for the final rush-whatever the outcome.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Several org's issue metal membership cards or make your own. Sharpen one or two edges, even alum, and stick it in your wallet. I've carried a sharp VFW card for years.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

588 members (1beaver_shooter, 06hunter59, 1_deuce, 160user, 1234, 12344mag, 55 invisible), 2,249 guests, and 1,319 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,136
Posts18,483,966
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.