S
That narrows it down.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
TFF

I ruin a lot of meat, a lot of the time. Chit happens. I don't like to ruin capes on nice stuff though! I saw a pronghorn shot on the point of the shoulder with a 150 grain SST from a 300 mag. The near side shoulder was a mess. A hole the size of a cantaloupe at the entry! Yikes.

I once shot a nice coues deer near Ruby on the Mex border. I hit him going away hard. I ruined MOST of all 4 quarters! This was an inaugural 165 grain Ballistic Tip. Bad bullet!!! That same season I hit one in the neck as a finisher (from 30 yds) I blew his head plumb off. Only time I have ever done that. At least I didn't waste any meat on that shot.

We typically just make a dorsal cut and pull the hinds and shoulders off the coues deer as well as the backstraps. Ribs and T-loins get left for the vultures.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've always said that yotes gotta eat to.... cool

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
IC B2

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
You mean you guys pick out a specific deer in the herd to shoot at????

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Meat loss is of zero consequence to me so my choices on shot placement are unlimited.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Saving meat would be the last thought on my mind.

I worry about meat/fur after the critter is down.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
What is really needed for these stinky Columbia Blacktails is some kind of a pump that would pump marinade into them, while displacing the blood. At least then they'd be good eating, and WORTH taking a careful shot at; so you wouldn't just pump all your marinade out onto the ground, out some big hole. I'd be willing to pack a gallon of marinade and a little hand pump; and take the time to stitch it in place, if it would work.
It'd be like a small doctor's kit---we could call it SUTURE SELF.

I saw a movie where only the military and the police had guns. It was called Schindler's List.
Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
That right there is FUNNY!

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
For deer I try to shoot a little behind the shoulder.
For elk I make sure I dont shoot nearside shoulder.
But that said, a good % of hunters would have no problem with a shoulder shot even on a moose.

Last edited by Alamosa; 06/23/08.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I hunt public land with a lot of pressure, so I don't like animals getting out of sight after being shot. I like to take at least one shoulder.

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
T-loins get left for the vultures.

The vultures are getting the best chunks of meat on the whole deer.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
FWIW if given a perfect broadside presentation I like to shoot deer just above the point/elbow of the shoulder. This takes out the plumbing entering the top of the heart and destroys both lungs. I like to eat the heart if possible and in my experience a direct hit to the heart often results in a jump straight up in the air a 40 yard or more dash.A shot just above the heart that destroys the aorta and minces the lungs often puts them down much sooner.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Jeff Copoer's "school solution" at Gunsite was to split the forelegs with the vertical crosswire, and hold one-third of the way up the body with the horizontal crosswire.

The exact parts taken out vary with target angle, but mostly it is a lung shot.

jim

LCDR Jim Dodd, USN (Ret.)
"If you're too busy to hunt, you're too busy."
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I hunt deer in thick pine woods so I usually shoulder shoot. If, I am shooting the small does we have, & the shot is close, under 75 yds., I shoot for the head or neck. I almost always shoot everything in the shoulders with premium bullets. Unlike, the hunting shows, I work the bolt fast for a follow up shot. I like them dead. I started hunting deer in the late 50's & only lost one, a nice buck 2 years ago. Must have been to far forward since I found many pieces of bone, lots of blood & 2 spots were the deer lay down. Finally lost in a swamp.

Life Members SCI & NRA. NRA Instructor & RSO. What have YOU done to support hunting & gun rights?
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I shoot through whatever is in the way to the vitals. Since animals are rarely standing perfecty broadside that usually means a shoulder either going in or out. I've got no issue with this, and they usually drop quicker that way too. Of course that all changes when I use a sharp stick. grin

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Whether or not to drive a bullet through the shoulders seems to be a perennial question. I recently read a book published half a decade before Winchester introduced the .270, and the recommendations on shot placement for deer mirror those of a study conducted in SC almost three-quarters of a century later.

Recommended shot placement on deer in 1920:

First let me say that I have never known an
animal to go down instantaneously and stay
down unless hit in brain or spine, and these two
present such small marks that it is unwise in
ordinary circumstances to try for them. Better
to try to break the power of locomotion, the
shoulders, and if we do not manage to totally
disrupt the bony formation our bullets will pass
through the thorax which contains the heart and
lungs.

Recommended shot placement on deer in 1990:

So what shot placement is the best. Neck shots worked well in this study, but they can be problematic because the target area is very small and there is a risk of wounding associated with the target. Potential problems include a shot to the esophagus or mandible. Also, spine shots can be ruled out as a recommenced shot because few shots are consciously directed at the spine. In other words, most spine shots result from shots that miss their mark high and incidentally hit the spine.

Based on the data collected in this study we feel that the best shot placement for deer is the shot directed at the shoulder. Traveling an average of only 3 yards, deer shot in the shoulder traveled significantly less distance than deer shot in the heart, lungs, or abdomen. Also, with such a short distance of travel, deer shot squarely in the shoulder did not generally leave the hunter's sight. In this study, the broadside shoulder shot essentially gave results similar to what most hunters expect from a neck shot. Presumably the broadside shoulder shot works well because it strikes part of the heart and or lungs which itself is a mortal blow. However, a shot through the scapula damages the brachial plexus which the central nervous system thereby rendering the animal immobile. It knocks the animal out and it never regains consciousness. Also, the shoulder is a very large target offering room for error; a high shot hits the spine, a low shot the heart and a shot to the rear hits the lungs.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Jeff_O

We don't get to shoot very many deer here. And I don't like to buy meat at the store. Maybe the meat means more to me than some, in fact I'm SURE it does, but since I started hunting 8 or 9 years ago, my goal has been to shoot vitals while staying out of the meat.

So you've been hunting 9 years, get to kill 1 maybe 2 deer per year, and I'm sure there were years you weren't successful. So let's be generous and give you 9 deer total lifetime. And yet here you are spouting information on where the best place to shoot deer is? That's [bleep] priceless.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yeah Jeff, I will blow the running gear out from under a Deer in a second or any other big game animal.
I'm not going to think, I might waste some meat. If you want to learn how to make efficient kills on wild animals, you must get your mind right. You have to become a killer.

Last edited by Hammerdown; 06/23/08.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

Page 3 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

587 members (1234, 01Foreman400, 12344mag, 1Longbow, 160user, 17CalFan, 58 invisible), 2,103 guests, and 1,316 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,014
Posts18,481,586
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.