Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Hi reflex,

Here is my experience, FWIW. I currently have three 7x57s, all Rugers, one pre-MkII tanger, one MkII, and one #1A. I can pour a lot more powder in the tanger than the MkII. I assume there are differences in the throats, but I have not done any chamber casts. They both shoot well enough so I don't fret it. In fact, the MkII shoots unbelieveably well. The tanger will easily handle the max loads listed in Speer manual #13 and then some, whereas the same loads in the MkII are over max. The #1A seems to be somewhere in between.

I don't know what you gained by this post, but there it is.

-

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
I often use quick reply. My posts are not directed toward any specific person unless I mention them by name.
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by duckster
If you want 250 fps more, get a .280

I can get a lot closer to 280 velocities than that in my 7x57s. If one wants 250 fips more than one can get from a modern 7x57, I think one should step up to a 7 mag. Theres not a lot of difference in potential between a 7x57 and a 280 - some, but not a lot - not enough to see a big difference in the field.

-

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
I often use quick reply. My posts are not directed toward any specific person unless I mention them by name.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I load the 140 gr. ballistic tip to 2800 in my M70 Featherweight. I use W-760, Remington brass and Winchester WLR primers. I have loaded that bullet to 2880 FPS but it was about 105 degrees that day and bolt lift was a bit sticky. Not much, but just enough to notice. That's faste niugh for any hunting I'll do with that rifle.
Paul B.

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
D
DMB Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by Tailgunner
Reflex
I've GAINED 250fps (in a 30-06) by having the barrel shortened 1" at the chamber end, and recutting the chamber properly.
A chamber cast before "surgury" showed the throat was .3125 in diameter, the "post surgury" cast is .3085 in diameter. If the throat diameter is at bullet size the bullet acts as a plug to the gases, if the diameter is above bullet size the gases can blow past the bullet until it is in the lands.

Stop spinning your wheels, and get a chamber cast done and measured.

Interesting approach...
Did Al Siegrist do the work for you?
Stop by sometime and I'll show you some really NEAT old Rem 722's I've policed up lately. All are accurate.

Don

Don Buckbee

JPFO
NRA Benefactor Member
NSSA Life Member

D
DMB Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by Big_Redhead
Hi reflex,

Here is my experience, FWIW. I currently have three 7x57s, all Rugers, one pre-MkII tanger, one MkII, and one #1A. I can pour a lot more powder in the tanger than the MkII. I assume there are differences in the throats, but I have not done any chamber casts. They both shoot well enough so I don't fret it. In fact, the MkII shoots unbelieveably well. The tanger will easily handle the max loads listed in Speer manual #13 and then some, whereas the same loads in the MkII are over max. The #1A seems to be somewhere in between.

-

Red,

I'm continually happy with the excellent accuracy out of my MkII in 257 Roberts.

Don

Don Buckbee

JPFO
NRA Benefactor Member
NSSA Life Member

IC B2

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Don
The slophole was done by some hack on the PA/NY border
The cast chop rechamber was done by Bruce at Flint-&-Frizzen in Clarkston. He had to remove the inch, just to clean up the throat area.
Bruce has been my "go-to" smith for 30+ years. Since I moved "up north" Al is my backup gunny, in case of emergencies.
Both of them apprenticed under Bob Snapp, so you know that both of them know what their doing (and they respect each others work)

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by DMB
Originally Posted by Big_Redhead
Hi reflex,

-

Red,

I'm continually happy with the excellent accuracy out of my MkII in 257 Roberts.

Don

DMB,

I've owned and shot a lot of Rugers. Only one of them didn't shoot somewhere between excellent and friggin' fantastic. The one that didn't shoot well was a Mini-30, and that was probably because I was loading 0.308" bullets in it.

To be honest, I really don't know what level of accuracy my MkII 7x57 is capable of because I always just shoot it from my hands, not tucked into bags and a benchrest. I know it shoots where I point it.

-

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
What is the love affair of trying to turn 7mm Mausers into 7 Rem Mags?

I just don't get it...

in 7mm, I have both the 7 x 57 and the 7 Rem Mag... I hunt with the 7 x 57s, and I have the 7 Rem Mag, because it was a Savage 116 with a price that was too good to pass up on at the time...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Seafire

I just don't get it...

in 7mm, I have both the 7 x 57 and the 7 Rem Mag... I hunt with the 7 x 57s, and I have the 7 Rem Mag, because it was a Savage 116 with a price that was too good to pass up on at the time...

Seafire, I don't think it is so much a case of trying to make a 7x57 Mauser into a 7MM Rem. Mag., but just more a case of bringing the 7x57 into the modern era. Don't get me wrong, the 7x57 does a darn good job as is. However, current factory and most load data are geared to rifles from another century. Those loads are, to me anyway, the equivialent of buying a brand new Corvette shutting down two or four cylinders for whatever silly reoson one might do so. I feel the same way about the 30-06 and .35 Whelen, both of which are also underloaded by the factories. I once had the chance to buy a nearly mint 1895 Winchester that had been rebored to the .35 Whelen. I certainly would not have wanted to use my current handloads for the Whelen in that old rifle, nor would I feel safe in some of the 1903 Springfields I've seen that were converted. However, I do feel that my FN mauser (J.C.Higgins M50) that was made into a 7x57 as well as my Ruger #1 and Winchester M70 Featherweight are more that capable of handling somewhat more powerful loads than are found in the manuals ans in factory ammo.
Maybe the engine analogy wasn't the best I could think of. Think of a young person with the genetics of being a great athlete. he works out and trains and reaches his full potential. Consider that same person, but who does not train and is still a fairly decent athlete, but never reaches his full potential. The 7x57, and the 30-06 and .35 Whelen are all athletes like number two.
I would not feel handicapped hunting with a 7x57 and factory ammo. I would feel better equipped if I was hunting my somewhat more powerful handloads.
Paul B.

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Originally Posted by Seafire

I just don't get it...

The factory ammo chronys between 200 and 300fps slower than it does from our other rifles. Hand loads loaded all the way to max are about the same. Slow.

It didn't/dosn's sound (to me anyway) like the OP is trying to turn 1 of his 7x57's into a Magnum, but is wanting to bring it up to NORMAL 7x57 velocities, just like his others produce.

If your 7Mag was only producing 7x57 Mauser velocities, and you were wondering how to correct it, how would you feel about being accused of trying to turn it into a 7mm Ultra?

IC B3

D
DMB Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Don
The cast chop rechamber was done by Bruce at Flint-&-Frizzen in Clarkston. He had to remove the inch, just to clean up the throat area.
Bruce has been my "go-to" smith for 30+ years. Since I moved "up north" Al is my backup gunny, in case of emergencies.
Both of them apprenticed under Bob Snapp, so you know that both of them know what their doing (and they respect each others work)

Just read a posting over on AR where Bob Snapp is accepting some Martini work. I had thought that he stopped doing custom work.

Don Buckbee

JPFO
NRA Benefactor Member
NSSA Life Member

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by DMB
Don

Just read a posting over on AR where Bob Snapp is accepting some Martini work. I had thought that he stopped doing custom work.

When I asked Bob if he would work on my Ruger #3, he said he would rather not, and that Martini work is his preferred type of work. Then he handed me his personal 257 Roberts on a Cadet action. I had trouble not drooling all over it. That was right after he showed me the ACGG guild rifle for that year - a spiffy Dakota model 10 with lots of pretty bells and whistles added. That was two years ago IIRC.

-

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Using the Corvette analogy to the 7x57 is probably valid but begs the question. Why the REASON. I have a Mustang and have owned MANY fast sportscars over the years but on none of these have I EVER driven to the redline. The speed limit has always been adequate for me. Different strokes.

R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
The throat is not over diameter. Rather this chamber is cut like a Weatherby. Freebore almost like it was done on purpose. Just to make sure everyone knows I am not trying to turn it into a 7mag. I have plenty of screemers for that task. Book loads in this rifle are way to slow. I finally did get some loads with RL19 sending 139 BTSPs out at 2669fps. I can live with that and its shooting them into little bitty groups. If someone at some time did take a throating reamer to it they may have been seating 175gr RN bullets out as far as the magazine box would allow. The rifle is great other than low velocities and I doubt I will do the barrel. Matt layed claim to it after shooting his second buck with it when he was still in high school. He took his first 8pt with it. I am planning on working with H4350 some more to see what happens. reflex264

[Linked Image]

.264 barrel current number of shots:2122
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Reflex stay w/that RL19 and keep adding powder till you get to 2800fps.It's really pretty easy and not dangerous in a modern gun. powdr

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
For the record, I used a pressure trace on mine, as does Denton, and our results seem about the same. I have shot several thousand of these, and you will also find 2850-2900 fps loads for the 7-08, so not much reason to assume pressure would be any higher in a 7x57 with some freebore.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by zimhunter
Using the Corvette analogy to the 7x57 is probably valid but begs the question. Why the REASON. I have a Mustang and have owned MANY fast sportscars over the years but on none of these have I EVER driven to the redline. The speed limit has always been adequate for me. Different strokes.

I suppose I could come up with some witticism like, "Because I can." but that wouldn't answer the question "Why?" I too have owned a few speedy vehicles during my mispent youth and like you usually stayed within the speed limit. However, there have been times when that excess power came in handy, like getting out of the way of some idiot that failed to yeild or some old geezer crawling along on a mountain road at 25 MPH when the speed limit was 45 MPH.
I think the added power over factory 7x57 Mauser rounds is a necessity as while most of the time, my shots on deer will come at reasonable ranges. However, situations do arise where a longer shot must be taken to bring an animal that has been wounded and is getting away. The longest shot I ever had to make on a deer was 427 paces. My hunting partner shot a deer way too far back and I was the only one in the clear to take the shot. The rifle that time just happened be a .308, but that fact is irrelevant. The power isn't needed for the ordinary, however for the out of the ordinary situtations, it can come in might handy.
Paul B.

MOLON LABE
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Yeah, add more 4350 (of either kind) until the muzzle velocity gets up around 2800 with a 140.

Ask and you shall receive on the Ask the Gunwriters Forum. What the [bleep] are we still talking about?

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
If you hold that a modern 7x57 in good condition ought to be run at 51 KPSI, then you ought to do the same for your 270 or 30-06.

Last edited by denton; 07/04/08.

Be not weary in well doing.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by reflex264
I know you are a big fan of the 7x57 and I have all of your articles on the 7x57. We currently have 3 of the little jewels. One of the rifles is a 77 MK1 that has a very long throat. The rifle is exceptional as far as accuracy goes. It will shoot any factory load under an inch and some hand loads it throws into .375" ragged holes. The factory ammo chronys between 200 and 300fps slower than it does from our other rifles. Hand loads loaded all the way to max are about the same. Slow. The chamber isn't overly large. My guess is it has something to do with the long throat not allowing a normal pressure curve. The throat is so long that it isn't possible to start a bullet anywhere close to the lands because of the magazine length restiction. Powders I have tried in it are H4350,IMR4350,RL22,RL19,760,H414,H380 and probably a few more that I can't remember right off. The faster powders do seem to get closer to their repective velocities but still not what I am looking for.This furthers my belief that the low velocity is a product of the long throat. Because the rifle is so accurate I am very hesitent to mess with the barrel at all. Any ideals? Thanks, reflex264

Add powder like MD said. Take it to 2800...then you're near enough max.

War Damn Eagle!

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

88 members (BALLISTIK, 5sdad, Akhutr, Amos63, auk1124, 14 invisible), 1,456 guests, and 878 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,207
Posts18,503,871
Members73,994
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.