Hop To
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
RickBin Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Hi Guys:

We have received word of the unbelievable:

It appears that Leupold will shortly discontinue the VXIII and VXL line of scopes! At least one supplier has corroborated the rumor by informing us that our last day to take volume orders for these lines is in August, with orders being filled through November.

We have no firm word on what will be replacing the venerable VXIII line, but we can only assume it's going to be better.

No more VXIIIs !!! confused

I hope either this is a bad rumor, or that they change their minds, but methinks it's true, since it's been corroborated at the supply level.

Last edited by RickBin; 07/16/08. Reason: New info re: ordering dates and dates for order fulfillment

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated." Thomas Paine

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Whatever the reason, you can guarantee that the result will be a significant price increase on the new ones, and enough used ones hitting the market to keep those with a brain in good glass for YEARS to come.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Gawd, I feel so dirty. I am lamenting.

Last edited by prostrate8; 07/15/08.

<<<<<<<<<<<SPACE FOR RENT>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
well, I have a couple but after using a new VX2 with the LRD I was having trouble getting excited about another one.

Well, Maybe one more 2.5-8x36 with the dots....

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Last few scopes I bought have been VX III but I'm sure I could get by just fine with the VX II

Will be interesting to see what they have up there sleeve.

IC B2

D
DMB Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I think the improved VXII line put a crimp in the VXIII's. The VXII 3-9 is now equal to the older Vari-X III in the same power range, maybe better. I sure like the VXII 3-9 I have, and wouldn't consider spending the extra Bucks for the same power in a VXIII.
Please keep us posted on what the future holds.

Thanks for the heads up!!

Don

Don Buckbee

JPFO
NRA Benefactor Member
NSSA Life Member

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Thanks, Rick, and Leupold, for giving me another reason to feel obsolete! I remember when a friend at Leupold showed me the prototype VXIII and I immediately ordered one (still have it, I think). IIRC, the great technological advance therein was the use of photography-grade anastigmat lenses.

That doesn't seem so long ago.

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I suppose change is the name of the game. I'm fine with product changes, but life would be easier for me if the low, mid, and high end units just kept the same model designations. I certainly agree they are getting expensive too. I have a few units where the scope cost more than the rifle. I'd like to pick up a few with the tuned cross hairs for long distance stuff, but they're just a little too steep for me. 1Minute

1Minute
WGM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'd happily run VX-II models, if only they would make the "outside" of the scope the same as the current VX-III ... I hate the power ring on the VX-II's ... even though I typically leave the scope on somewhere between 4-6x ...

so, I guess it's time for me to pony up and find all the used VX-III 3.5-10x40's I can, seeing as how it's my most favorite hunting glass of all ...

-WGM-
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S

So my question is what's going to be the improvement on the next line that replaces the VXIII?

Turrets?

Spot

IC B3

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
You look through the tube; and see open sights.. smile Only they're both in focus ...as is the target. grin

I saw a movie where only the military and the police had guns. It was called Schindler's List.
B
BMT Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Spotshooter

So my question is what's going to be the improvement on the next line that replaces the VXIII?

Turrets?

Spot

They snuck into Dogzapper's house, scanned his phenomenal brain, redesigned all the scopes and are refusing to give him credit.

At least, that's my vote.

BMT

"The Church can and should help modern society by tirelessly insisting that the work of women in the home be recognized and respected by all in its irreplaceable value." Apostolic Exhortation On The Family, Pope John Paul II
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Spotshooter

Since I'm no longer shopping for another scope, my question is (or soon will be) what's a like-new used VXIII going to be worth?

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I have or have had many variations of Leupold scopes. I have about six now, II's and III's. The only one I ever REALLY wanted was a 2.5-8x36, yet I never got one for some odd reason.

Guess I'll have to look one up now, even though I don't need it, I have scopes sitting in the safe now with no gun to go on. A sin, I know.

Bill

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Originally Posted by WGM
I guess it's time for me to pony up and find all the used VX-III 3.5-10x40's I can, seeing as how it's my most favorite hunting glass of all ...

+1 My all time favorite also!

"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Either my eyes are inferior, or they are superior...I never saw a discernable difference between the VX1, 2 or 3.

P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
Cool.

I bought great Vari-X III's when the VXIII came out. Now I'll get to pick up hardly used VXIII's when its replacement shows up.

'aint America great! grin

It's you and the bullet, and all the rest is secondary.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Rick would you please keep us posted on any further info ie.what's going to replace it and how long till they completely phase them out? powdr

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
wow...they keeping the VX-7? I figured the VX-L would flop

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered."
― George Orwell, 1984
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Taint no surprise on the VXL but the VXIII?
Simple opportunity for Leupold to "improve" upon that line by giving it a small face lift and new price tag. I hope the brain trusts that brought us the venerable VXL aren't on the project team in charge of the NextGen of VXIII's. smile

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

530 members (17Fan, 10gaugemag, 01Foreman400, 160user, 12344mag, 1badf350, 68 invisible), 2,370 guests, and 1,167 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,318
Posts18,487,346
Members73,969
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.