Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
John1 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
I have a sized dummy(with bullet)case stuck in my chamber. A cleaning rod WILL NOT budge it. How can I get it out? Seems I have heard of a hydrolic method by filling the barrel with oil. Can someone tell me how to do this or help me in any other way? Many thanks, John.

GB1

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Wooden dowel rod...along with Kroil ???

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Don't use a rod of any kind if the round is loaded!!!!!

Take it to a smith and have him do it.

Where are you located?

+Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
"I have a sized dummy (with bullet)case stuck in my chamber."

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by John1
I have a sized dummy(with bullet)

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
What kind of rifle is it in what cartridge? If it has a long extractor like a Mauser you can close the bolt on the rim and then slip a sliver of wood under the middle of the extractor to force it to stay engaged.

If that does not work get a steel cleaning rod. They were made for the military.

J
John1 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
Rifle is a Sako L-461 in .20X223. Location is Louisville, KY. Thanks for the replys. John.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Ouch, only .20"!

You could go to a mill supply house and get a length of 3/16" drill rod. Wrap it with Scotch tape where it goes into the barrel.

Q
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Q
There is such a thing as a tool set called a "live round puller" which will do the job with no problem and no risk to the rifle. It is basically a bolt-diameter rod with the front end formed into a massive extractor. The trick is to find a smith who has one of these. The Midway website has a gunsmith locator. You might start there.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
DO NOT use a wood rod it will split on the bullet and jam the heck in it .
Use a solid steel rod as close to the bore as you can get it will not hurt the rifiling and beat it out.

do NOT put anything on the rod , (Tape etc)

IC B3

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Hubert
Use a solid steel rod as close to the bore as you can get it will not hurt the rifiling and beat it out.

Maybe that would work, but you run the risk of simply knocking off the head and leaving the body in the chamber; not to mention the possibility of slight damage to the rifling.. Not to mention that when struck, any rod (steel, brass etc.,) will flex and nearly ensure you'll need to repair the crown. I would stay away from any steel rod.. If you can find a brass rod, use that instead.. Thank God it's a dummy round.

I echo Jkob; take it to a gunsmith.. You run the risk of doing severe damage to the barrel..

The worst one I had was a fired case jammed in the chamber.. Even Cero-safe wouldn't budge it.. Had to remove the barrel and set it up in the lathe, cut off the head and set up the reamer.. It finally let loose after about a half-inch of reaming and with NO damage to the chamber/throat etc...

Last edited by Redneck; 08/04/08.

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by RickB
Hmm, sounds like you need a proctologist...

laugh

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Originally Posted by Redneck

Maybe that would work, but you run the risk of simply knocking off the head and leaving the body in the chamber; not to mention the possibility of slight damage to the rifling.. Not to mention that when struck, any rod (steel, brass etc.,) will flex and nearly ensure you'll need to repair the crown. I would stay away from any steel rod.. If you can find a brass rod, use that instead.. Thank God it's a dummy round.

I echo Jkob; take it to a gunsmith.. You run the risk of doing severe damage to the barrel..

The worst one I had was a fired case jammed in the chamber.. Even Cero-safe wouldn't budge it.. Had to remove the barrel and set it up in the lathe, cut off the head and set up the reamer.. It finally let loose after about a half-inch of reaming and with NO damage to the chamber/throat etc...

Hmmmmmm....... over-pressure, what?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I guess I read that one too quick. I apologize for coming on so dumb. My solution would be to pull the barrel, it is so much easier to get it out that way, for me anyway.

Oh and thanks to RickBin for pointing that out.

Last edited by Jkob; 08/04/08.

+Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I had this problem once..I went to a welding supply shop, and got a chunck of brass rod that fit the barrel closely, and tapped out the case.
Good luck Virgil B.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by VAnimrod

Hmmmmmm....... over-pressure, what?
Nope.. Old, weak brass according to the owner.. Switched to new stuff and no issues since..

Overpressure was the initial thought since that load was originated for a different rifle.. But this was a 7mm Mauser; not exactly any kind of high-pressure round..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by RickB
Hmm, sounds like you need a proctologist...

laugh

You probably have allot more experience with "area" than I do so I'll take your word for it.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R

What kind of reamer did you use? I would love to hear exactly how that works. smile

G
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
G
one can do this. guessing a dummy round has no primer. long drill through head of case. appropriate tap and use a long fine thread bolt to draw case out of chamber use a cross bar at rear of action. before starting spray good penetrate down barrel "easy out" just for kicks. of course this is for someone that understands and has appr. tooling. need a long drill and tap or extenson. of course all undersize of chamber by alot. tried hydraulic and did work but above is actually easier for me. after a snoot full of oil lost interest.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I had one of those. Mine was a live round, badly loaded and forced into the chamber. The extractor had torn the rim off and the owner had tried to hammer the live round out with a brass cleaning rod- which broke and jammed between the bullet and chamber (the bullet pas pushed back which no doubt expanded the case even more. I ended up threaded the muzzle and connecting a grease gun eo an adaptor. first the still live primer came out (caught with a cloth packin). I then drilled and tapped the primer pocket to fit a plug. Then I pumped that case out. I then crowned the barrel and fitted a muzzle shroud to the threads. That gun now shoots real accurate.

That was a long story. You could pump yours out by attaching a hose to the muzzle using a good hose clamp. It the primer comes out first, you can plug the hole with epoxy or 'loctite' it back in (it is a dummy primer)or drill and tap it (you need long drills and extended taps - that's a pain). If the bullet is stil in place (which yours is) you will likely not have any problems with the primer coming out. In fact, the hydraulic pressure should actually collapse the case, releasing it. The crazy thing is, the case may have been cooler than the chamber and has now expanded to jam up pretty tight.
Oh ... fill the barrel with oil first if you are going to try this one and put a rag in the reciever to catch the oil and case.
Good luck.

P.S I have heard of someone getting killed by a live round going off while someone else was trying to hammer the round out!

303Guy
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

554 members (1OntarioJim, 10Glocks, 16penny, 160user, 10gaugemag, 54 invisible), 2,420 guests, and 1,267 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,527
Posts18,472,651
Members73,939
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.