Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by RickB

What kind of reamer did you use? I would love to hear exactly how that works. smile

What? You don't know? I thought you were a gunsmith..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
GB1

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by 303Guy
I have heard of someone getting killed by a live round going off while someone else was trying to hammer the round out!
I have no doubt it's happened.. Live rounds are the scariest..

I've done a couple.. I use a slightly different method that involves removing the barrel and using the lathe..

Betcha ol' RickB would love to learn THAT one too... laugh laugh

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I'm still trying to figure out your suggestion about holding the muzzle down and shaking a Colt Series 80 pistol to free the firing pin???????? smile

I find it pretty amusing that you passed on using a steel rod because you were afraid that it might ding the crown...but you have no problem using something that might damage the chamber.

Why not post some pictures of this "mystical" reamer gag you use...and explain exactly how you set up this reamer to be concentric.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I'm still trying to figure out your suggestion about holding the muzzle down and shaking a Colt Series 80 pistol to free the firing pin???????? smile
That was to see if the tip would appear; a sure indication of a broken pin.. Had nothing to do with freeing it.. Shouldn't have taken you that long to figure that out... But then, I rarely get into the degree of explanation that's made you famous... Try that trick sometime..

I find it pretty amusing that you passed on using a steel rod because you were afraid that it might ding the crown...
So, do YOU use a steel rod??
but you have no problem using something that might damage the chamber.
'Something'? No, a chamber reamer... You should know that, IF you're a gunsmith... laugh

Why not post some pictures of this "mystical" reamer gag you use...and explain exactly how you set up this reamer to be concentric.
Pix of chamber reamers can be found online..

In this case, I only had to insert about 3/4" and the case came loose.. Chamber was pristine. Every other trick in the book had failed before.. This was a 'last resort' type of thing and done only with the authorization of the customer.. You've never had to do that?? You're lucky to date..

Setting it up takes time but not difficult.. I assume you can set up a lathe, IF you're a gunsmith that is.... laugh

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Boy, you change what you say faster than a politician! smile

Here's what you actually said:

"Sounds like you're right.. I wonder if you could hold the slide muzzle-end down, and jiggle it a few times and see if the end of the firing pin finally sticks out.. That should then allow enough room to push in the back of the pin and remove the block.."

Sorry slick...but on a series 80 the plunger has to be depressed before the firing pin can be pushed forward to remove the plate, broken tip or not. You had this guy thinking he had a broken firing pin when all he had to do was pull the trigger back to unblock the firing pin. You'd think a "gunsmith" would know that. smile

Just because you couldn't figure out how to unstick a live round and had to resort to some Bubba gag doesn't mean others should or would do such a silly procedure.

I see you're also good at precise measuring. First you said "about" 1/2" of reaming...then you said 3/4" of reaming. smile

Sounds like you're right.. I wonder if you could hold the slide muzzle-end down, and jiggle it a few times and see if the end of the firing pin finally sticks out.. That should then allow enough room to push in the back of the pin and remove the block..

Target moving date to Belle Fourche, South Dakota: May 1st, 2010, then I'm OUTTA TAX HELL WISCONSIN!
NRA Endowment member
Ex - USN(SS) (USS Razorback) '66-'69.

IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I have no doubt it's happened..
Apparently this was at an NRA or some national match (benchrest maybe). It was the man's wife (who was holding the rifle for him) who died. frown

303Guy
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Boy, you change what you say faster than a politician! smile

Here's what you actually said:

"Sounds like you're right.. I wonder if you could hold the slide muzzle-end down, and jiggle it a few times and see if the end of the firing pin finally sticks out.. That should then allow enough room to push in the back of the pin and remove the block.."
_________________________ Sorry slick...but on a series 80 the plunger has to be depressed before the firing pin can be pushed forward to remove the plate, broken tip or not. You had this guy thinking he had a broken firing pin when all he had to do was pull the trigger back to unblock the firing pin. You'd think a "gunsmith" would know that.
By golly, you finally got one right... I plumb forgot about the plunger, but then I do very little work on handguns; I specialize in rifles... My bad.

Just because you couldn't figure out how to unstick a live round and had to resort to some Bubba gag doesn't mean others should or would do such a silly procedure.
Well, Slick, first of all, the reamer was used as a last resort for a separated case, NOT a live round.. I do something completely different for those.. I refuse to explain to you what that particular operation is.. Time for you to learn on your own.. You might want to get yourself a copy of 'Gunsmith Kinks' from Brownell's.. Lot's of useful info there, even for self-described-experts-on-all-things-regarding-firearms as you...

I see you're also good at precise measuring. First you said "about" 1/2" of reaming...then you said 3/4" of reaming.
That's why I said 'about'.. OH, that's right.. You forgot to read that word.. It's best to read an entire post and comprehend before opening mouth and inserting foot..

I'm still laughing at your 'expertise' in WI laws... laugh

Do you come by your arrogance naturally or did you go to school? If so, you musta got an 'A+++'.... Now run along, sonny boy and have a nice day....

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by 303Guy
I have no doubt it's happened..
Apparently this was at an NRA or some national match (benchrest maybe). It was the man's wife (who was holding the rifle for him) who died. frown
Ouch.. Geez, what a tragedy..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Still waiting to hear you explain how you get a barrel running true in a lathe with a case stuck in the chamber. What do you index off of...or do you just eyeball it and start running the reamer in "about 3/4 or 1/2 inch or so"? smile

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C'mon RIck, I think you are picking nits. I think the guy knows what he is doing and for someone as knowledgeable as you, should assume that.

+Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild
IC B3

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Jkob
C'mon RIck, I think you are picking nits.
He is.... Maybe a good handle would be NitPickRickB.. Although I think Sitka had a better one.. laugh

Amazing he doesn't know how to set up a barrel in a lathe..

As to what he thinks of me?

[Linked Image]

I'm done playing around with this complete clown.. It was fun for a while...

ps.. Jkob, nice job on that inletting for J. Knaub's rifle.. Forgot to tell you that..

Last edited by Redneck; 08/06/08.

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
J
John1 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
Guntender. I think the tap and long screw is the method I will try. What size screw do you think would be good for a .223 case? And, in the event that the that the screw would strip the threads and pull out...Would I be screwed? As an aside, CJ Assesories sells a broken shell extractor but only works if the head is completely seperated. It goes in front of the bolt and grasp the shell for removal. I can't imagine it hanging onto a broken shell that is stuck really tight but they told me it would. Thanks everyone for the many replies. This(the stuck shell) has been a most annoying and perplexing experience. John D.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Redneck
Originally Posted by Jkob
C'mon RIck, I think you are picking nits.
He is.... Maybe a good handle would be NitPickRickB.. Although I think Sitka had a better one.. laugh

Amazing he doesn't know how to set up a barrel in a lathe..

As to what he thinks of me?

[Linked Image]

I'm done playing around with this complete clown.. It was fun for a while...

ps.. Jkob, nice job on that inletting for J. Knaub's rifle.. Forgot to tell you that..

I guess for guys that measure things in "abouts" my question would be considered "nit-picking." After all, what's 1/4"or so here or there when you're running a reamer into a barrel? smile

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

545 members (1minute, 1_deuce, 1Longbow, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 1234, 69 invisible), 2,386 guests, and 1,266 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,539
Posts18,472,836
Members73,939
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.