Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Folically_Challenged

As usual, let your eyes be the judge: none of us will ever be looking through your scope!

FC

This is the best advice your going to get. Go to a sporting goods store and start looking. Buy something reputable that is nice to your eyes.

Then have fun

Rob

Last edited by BrocksDad; 08/21/08.

Rob

// Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.//
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks guys. I own a $700 Burris signature select, so I know there are definitely better scopes out there, but the FFII that I use on my buddy's .338 is so dang clear and bright, and the improvement is only slightly better in my sig. sel. that I can't help but feel that this class of scope is "good enough" for my 25-06. That and I don't have any spare money right now laugh

So, it's down to 2 scopes. JonA's Burris FFII (thank you again for the kind offer, Jon!) or the Vortex, just to be different and try out a new scope that very few people here have any experience with. I am familiar with the FFII, so maybe I'll see what Doug will do as far as letting me test the Vortex out!

If it was up to you guys, which option would you go with?

Thanks again!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The FFII's are proven but at the same time it's fun to toy with an unknown commodity. I know this isn't going to help and will probably only make the decision harder....Maybe that was the plan<Grin>

Rob

Rob

// Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.//
E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Yea Rob. Better him than us! Just kidding,JS!

til later

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith

So, it's down to 2 scopes. JonA's Burris FFII (thank you again for the kind offer, Jon!) or the Vortex, just to be different and try out a new scope that very few people here have any experience with. I am familiar with the FFII, so maybe I'll see what Doug will do as far as letting me test the Vortex out!

If it was up to you guys, which option would you go with?

Thanks again!

I have yet to hear of anyone getting burned by Vortex, and especially not by Doug. Burris seems to have far more supporters than detractors. Speaking for myself, I'd have the same confidence in either one. Get 'em side-by-side, & let your own eyes tell you which one THEY want.

... then let us know which one you pick, so we can razz you about it, & make you start second-guessing yourself!

FC

"Every day is a holiday, and every meal is a banquet."

- Mrs. FC
IC B2

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
What is this scope for ? If it's for a serious hunting rifle than I'd go with a known make and model.
I don't know much about the other brands listed. If the rifle is just a toy, something for casual shooting, I see no reason why you can't play with something new.
The Burris FFII has built a very good rep. One of the best deals out there. I actually "owned" one for about a day. Found a rifle last season partially buried in the snow. Had an FFII mounted on it. Got to play with it. Not as much eye box as I like, but not bad at all. The local gun store in the tiny town where I stayed in Montana had some for sale. Said they were very popular and were doing very well for the locals who wanted a reliable scope.
I've got local shooting buddies who say the same. Barsness has reported much the same thing.
I can't tell much about rifle scopes in a store. Trying to evaluate the optical qualities a scope with any kind of decent eye relief while hand holding it has never done much for me. E

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Drop over here sometime after things quiet down Jordan. If you get a few minutes time on the computer -write an email.

You don't have as many problems with that rifle as you think -which can probably be fixed in a week I believe....

Stonewall

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
You may try going into a place where they sell used rifles, finding one with a scope you like, and offering $100 cash for the scope only.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by tbear
Go to the optics forum & hear------- FOCUSING, F O C U S I N G, F O C U S I N G, F O C U S I N G, F O C U S I N G, & more focusing.

Yeah, it can even change the color of your reticle! It gets really old.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Their oculars are magical........the only thing they don't do is make bacon and eggs

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Jordan Smith,

I would take the unknown before the Burris.

It appears we have a difference of opinion based on experience. I used to be a Burris only guy. After three 8-32X Signatures, and three 4-12X Fullfield and two 2 1/2-8X failures, I wont take one as a gift.

At the same time I have never had a Tasco fail. The customer service lady told me, "You must be getting every reject they ever made."

Like I have heard many times here YMMV.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
JonA,
You have PM.

Ringman,
I actually use a Tasco Mag 6-24x40 on my .22-250. The only downside is that it's dim in failing light at anything above 14x. It tracks wonderfully though.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I think you're still missing the boat.... Cabelas has a wedding registry! That new Zeiss would work just fine....
;-)

R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
Jordan, congrats, I guess, on your upcoming event. Have you ever had a chance to inspect the new Simmons Master Series Aetec line? You can have the 4-14x44 side-focus with Mil-Dot shipped to your door from Natchez for about 190 bucks. I highly recommend it. The optics are stellar, and you can use the extra power on that .25-06.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I've used the Master series Prohunter line, in fact, it's mounted on my .308 Win 88 right now. The only problem I have with it, is that the optics are quite as clear or bright as the FFII, and that when light fails, it gets blurry fast. Is the aetec made with better glass?

thanks
Jordan

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The older Pre-Meade Aetecs were pretty good. Anything after Meade aquired Simmons is a crap-shoot.

Rob

Rob

Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks for all the help guys!

JonA thanks again for the offer!

I decided to go for it and ordered a Vortex Diamondback 4-12x40 with BDC.

Thanks again!

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by BobinNH
I've seen Tasco's crap and seen lenses fall out of Nikon's.Grab the Burris.Maybe some have had problems with them,but I have not.They are a bargain for the money.

A buddy of mine can afford anything he wants; he takes the Burris 3-9 to Africa.Solid gear.

I agree with Bob.....get the FF II. I have one and it's been rock solid on my .223

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Jordan,

Good on ya for going with a little more top end. You will be glad.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Guess I'm a little late with my suggestion. Three of my rifles have the Burris Fullfield II 3-9x Ballistic Plex.

Just sighted in my 4th Burris today, a Fullfield II 4.5-14xAO.

Good optics, good price, "Forever" warranty.

Probably won't be my last Burris, either.

This from a guy that was buying Vari-X II and III and VX-II Leupolds.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

600 members (1234, 06hunter59, 1936M71, 007FJ, 160user, 1lessdog, 60 invisible), 2,387 guests, and 1,164 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,531
Posts18,491,186
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.