Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
SAKO75 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Anyone seen or shot these?

Here is the write up from 6mmbr.com:
John Pierce has recently introduced a new custom action that duplicates the size and footprint of the Remington 700, but with more precise tolerances. It was favorably reviewed in the April '07 edition of Precision Shooting. Designed for the hunting, tactical, and varmint markets, the Pierce Engineering action carries an introductory price of $885.00 for .223, PPC, .308, or Magnum bolt faces. The new action, is available in short, long (8.7"), and ultra-long (9") versions. (Priced at $1000, the 9" versions are special order and can be fitted with a longer 1" tenon to support long, heavy barrels.) All Pierce action are made from 4140 chrome-moly steel and come standard with a rugged CeraKote finish. Bluing and NP-3 coatings are also available (call for quote). The bolt is a precision-machined Pacific Tool unit, spiral-fluted, and customized with Pierce handle and side-mount bolt release.

John Pierce, a highly-regarded gunsmith and machinist, created his new action in response to numerous customer requests to accurize mass-produced actions. Accurizing involved many operations: recutting threads, machining bolt faces, sleeving bolts, reaming action bodies, and moving handles. John concluded it made more sense to start with a custom action made correctly from the get-go. Designed to provide benchrest accuracy for the sporting rifle, the 1.350"-diameter Pierce Action offers full drop-in compatibility with stocks inletted for the Rem 700.
Compared to a standard Rem 700 action, the Pierce action is better in many ways. First it is built from 4140 aircraft-grade chromoly steel, heat treated to 37RC. (This same steel is also used for crankshafts and connecting rods in professional race engines.) Second, the raceways are precision-cut with CNC lathe and mill machining and wire EDM. Particular attention has been given to timing opening and closing helixes for smooth operation. Third, the handle is welded in fixture, then placed in the mill for final machining of the opening helix to attain accurate positioning. Fourth, Pierce action features larger (8-40) scope mount fasteners, with precision-milled mounting threads.

All Pierce actions feature the Pierce enhanced Firing-Pin Assembly (FPA). With a faster lock time (2.3 milliseconds) and lighter strike (4.3 in/lbs), the Pierce FPA delivers easier bolt lift and reduced disruption when the pin hits the primer. Independent testing (Precision Shooting, 12/05) concluded a Pierce FPA can even shrink group size. To order the new Pierce RemClone action, contact Pierce Engineering, 5122 North Grand River, Lansing, MI 48906, (517) 321-5051. Pierce also has plans to release a full benchrest action in the future.

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered."
― George Orwell, 1984
GB1

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M

djp Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I often wonder how these custom makers can justify making another precision 700 clone. It's not like there is actually a shortage of them.

Wish a few would get started making some small ring 98 clones or Sako A1/Vixen clones...anything but another 700 clone - the market is flush with them.

WGM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
ummm ... there's a reason everyone is cloning the m700, and not all those other actions ...

-WGM-
djp Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
What is it pray tell? Please don't say the Remington 700 is such a superior action...otherwise why would they clone it?

IC B2

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
It's because it's quick and easy to clone a remington action. It's basically just a piece of pipe and in order to improve it the gunsmith just needs to cut everything square. Cloning a M70 action or a mauser takes too much time and skill.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
It looks like a bargain to me; by the time you add up the cost of blueprinting a 700 and adding all the aftermarket stuff to make a 700 better,you could easily afford one of these. I think it would make into a dandy varmint rifle.This looks sweet.

For Mauser/M70 clones we have Dakota,Montana, Empire, and Satterlee,Prechtl,etc. There is not a shortage of Mauser/M70 clones.Just open up the wallet!

I see Mausers and M70 type actions as suitable for different uses,like big game hunting.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
It's about $200 more than a stiller Predator which is just as good.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Dennis, I will disagree with you. I have both. The Pierce is a better receiver. It is a much nicer appearing receiver than Jerry's. I like the Predator, but prefer the Pierce.
Butch

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Butch- you disagree with everything I say- regardless of what it is. My Stiller is every bit as good as the Pierce. I think the finish maybe slightly better(on the Pierce), but nothing in function. Neither one has a one-piece bolt and this is where you can really spend extra money.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

IC B3

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Butch

$200+ is a lot extra to pay for the polish job. Does it have all the firing pin enhancements that we have. Smaller pin diameter that does not leave the hole, lightweight shank etc. Are all the extraction cuts make on the 4th axis and truly match. We are wire edmed also and use the anti-bind rail. I agree that it may look nicer polished, but a better receiver, I doubt it.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Does it (or the stiller for that matter) have a Sako extractor, and smaller ejector? Does the Stiller have an improved bolt release (along the lines of a surgeon)?

What we really need is an action that takes a PPC case head at most and has an OAL of 2.5". Would be perfect for .223 Ack and 6.5/6.8, etc.

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
All stiller predator and tac actions have a sako or m16 type of extractor and a side bolt release that is above the normal stock line. We have PPC faces avail.

Last edited by stiller; 11/17/08. Reason: added predator and tac
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Dennis,
I agree that we agree to disagree. For my purpose, the Pierce is better. I don't care about the polish as it will have a rust blue. Jerry, I don't care for the slab cut on the side of my Predator or the large lettering on the side. The Pierce uses a different type extraction and works very well. You do not make a CM receiver. It has a blind rear action screw that I like also.
I am not knocking your receiver, it is just not suitable for a rustblued-walnut stocked custom. I like my black on black Predator in 300SAUM. It is just a different type rifle.
Ryan,
I don't think any body makes a 2.5"oal receiver.
Butch

C
CWG Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
The D-back would be an excellent custom varminter setup, love the action, but agree about the large lettering. Nice little action for a walking varmint type rig. No comparison to any 700, and no slam on the 700s, just dont like them anymore.

Cage-Divorce Deathmatch Survivor and Lib antagonist. Stock maker by sheer luck.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I just got a pheonix machine, very nice reciever (old Nesika Bay). It has not been timed and fit yet to the PTG bolt, hopefully there are not a bunch of issues. Both look to be quality products. So I have high hopes. I will report back when the barrel gets here. Leade time was about 3 weeks.

My next action will most likly be a Stiller. I do agree with Butch. Cosmetically there are others that would look better in a sexy piece of walnut. My last build a Banser stock fit the project better than a McMillian. Is Banser better, well this time it was. Next one a Banser might not have even be considered. The Stiller looks right at home in a Swirly. IMHO I think building a hunting rifle or a live varmit rifle any of the 700 clones would be the same as an aftermarket barrel. I doubt the average shooter will see any difference in any of the bigger names. Same holds true, use the one that makes you feel good and your gunsmith likes. All will hold there value better than a worked over 700, for the same or less money.

SAKO75 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by stiller
All stiller predator and tac actions have a sako or m16 type of extractor and a side bolt release that is above the normal stock line. We have PPC faces avail.
mine has a rem extractor, 3 rings of steel for me ....;-)

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered."
― George Orwell, 1984
SAKO75 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Butch

$200+ is a lot extra to pay for the polish job. Does it have all the firing pin enhancements that we have. Smaller pin diameter that does not leave the hole, lightweight shank etc. Are all the extraction cuts make on the 4th axis and truly match. We are wire edmed also and use the anti-bind rail. I agree that it may look nicer polished, but a better receiver, I doubt it.
I didnt know the predator's had firing pin enhancements but the pierce does for sure. DIdnt know about the lightweight shank either.... nice

― George Orwell, 1984
A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Any pics of the Pierce extractor?

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R

Cool beans I was gonna call about that and ask cause I couldn't find what I needed on your site.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

567 members (160user, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 1234, 10gaugeman, 01Foreman400, 53 invisible), 2,409 guests, and 1,238 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,520
Posts18,472,548
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.