Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
What a season, warm and absolutly no snow. mad

Even with less than typical conditions we manged to fill a few tags.

My Daughter was hunting for her first season. She has practiced very dilligently with her little 7mm-08 NEF single, and she did'nt disapoint.
On the 1st she got her very first big game animal. A nice fat whitetail doe at 200yds. A single shot put the doe on the ground. She was jumping up and down pumping her fist in the air shouting " I got her!, I got her!"
[Linked Image]

I had to work from the 4th to the 11th, and got picked up at a gas station along the way home by my good buddy Dave. He was up on a Hunter Host hunt from British Columbia.
My whole family was there, except my Daughter who was studying for a test. Including my 9 yr old son. Everyone took their respective stands My wife going to a good over watch spot.
Dave going to a long established blind, and my Son and I going to another property to try some rattling.
For the first time in almost 30 yrs I finally rattled in a deer. a small basket racked 4x4, but none the less sucess on that front.
In the middle of the following week I filled my mule deer doe draw, when a band of does and fawns made a trip to a hay field while Dave and I were waiting for some whitetails to show.
Then on the morning of the 15th my Daughter and Dave went and took stand by a stack of hay bails my Cousin had. While I posted my wife at a very good game crossing about a mile and a half North of them. I left in the truck to see what a road tour could un cover as deer activity so far was pretty slim.
I circled the block once after dropping everyone off and saw a buck run up towards my Cousin's house as I braked he simple folded.
As I glassed the motionless buck, my Daugher called me on my cell all excited to say she just shot at a buck and it ran up over the hill. Ah ha I said I know where he is. She said "where did he go" I said "oh a very long ways" "how far" she said loosing her enthusiasm. About 80 yds I guess I replied. "what" he's dead up over here by the road, I finally told her.
I heard her phone hit the ground as she could be heard yelling to Dave "Dad says he's dead at the road"
[Linked Image]

An 80 yd shot and the patty cake 130 Speer's did'nt disapoint.

That evening my wife filled one of her Supplimental antlerless whitetail tags while we hunted on a local public grazing preserve.

Finally on the 19th it was Dave's turn to fill a tag. We had sat a few likely spots and came up with nothing, we drove to a spot I call "the crossing" and we had a coffee and talked about what to do next.
at 166yds his buck just walked out.
He put his coffee down and layed into him with a 130 Partition form his 270 Win. Ruger No. 1. I watched the buck go about 50 yds and drop in the open bush on the other side of "the crossing"
[Linked Image]

I filled my supplimental tag on the 25th with my 358 Win BLR on a full sized model at about 60 yds, she went 60 yds and we found her no problem in the bush.

Then this morning after checking game cameras the day before I decided to sit one of my long established tree stands on my Cousin's place. at 8:28 this morning after tooting on the grunt tube a few times a letting out a couple estrus bleats I heard a deer walking in from my left. He walked out onto the slash line about 50 yds down and right behing a craggy ol alder limb. As I tried to get an angle on him right handed (I'm a lefty) he trotted off obviously seeing me moving about. Frick....

I grabbed my grunt tube gave a couple toots.
Guess who walked back onto the line but in a bit better spot.
And I was ready standing up this time, and let him have it in the back of the neck at 50 yds with the 358 Win again.
[Linked Image]

Last edited by Portsider284; 11/26/08.

Just remember.
You cant have SLAUGHTER,
without LAUGHTER
GB1

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Awesome and congratulations. Those are some fine looking deer by anyone's standards. My little girl is almost 3 and tells me every chance she gets, when I'm a young girl, I'm a hunt deer with you daddy, (course she's a baby girl now..grin). And I can't wait. Good job!

Proverbs
- A wise man feareth, and departs from evil: but the fool rages, in confidence.
- It is honor for a man to cease from strife: but every fool will meddle.
- Mischief is as sport to a fool: but a man of understanding hath wisdom.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
What a great story, you are a fortunate man to have your family to enjoy the hunt with.

Those are an impressive trio of bucks. Well done.

Last edited by battue; 11/26/08.

laissez les bons temps rouler
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Portsider 284, you are a blessed man. Hunting with your family is as good as it gets. Congratulations.

Ron

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
Orwell
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Congrats! Awesome for all of you! Good story!

Can't help but feel a little sorry (I know you don't, grin) for you as my gun season isn't even half over and we've already been gun hunting almost a month.

Of course, despite my two months of hunting I will likely not better the bucks you took.

Good Job!!

Bill

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Congrats on a great all-around hunt. Some really husky bucks ya got in that country.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Congrats on the deer. You guys got some beauties for sure.

Congrats to your daughter. 200 yds on her first shot. Great shooting.

Camp is where you make it.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Portsider,
Sounds like you and your family really enjoyed the season. Some nice bucks too, you must have a good hunting spot.

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by StrayDog
Portsider,
Sounds like you and your family really enjoyed the season. Some nice bucks too, you must have a good hunting spot.

They are not all from the same place.

I have opportunity to hunt no less than 25 different quarter section of land, owned by half a dozen different landowners.(all free of charge[payed hunting is illegal in Alberta])
There is also about 40 quarters of Provincial Grazing Reserve in the area, which is totally open to all hunters.
Then there are the opportunities on the Crown land not 20 minutes from my house.(10000's of acres)

Last edited by Portsider284; 12/10/08.

Just remember.
You cant have SLAUGHTER,
without LAUGHTER
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
*cough* host-a-hunter *cough* grin

WWP53D
IC B3

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by SKane
*cough* host-a-hunter *cough* grin

I see where this is going, but I'm commited to a buddy from Texas for a Hunter Host hunt.
He'll be back in 2 more years. (3 year rotation)
Otherwise you never know.............

Just remember.
You cant have SLAUGHTER,
without LAUGHTER
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
*LOL*

I have no shame when it comes to good deer.

WWP53D
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
*LOL*

I have no shame when it comes to good deer.

Nuttin good about them deer, they are just average, to the low end of the scale none the less.

Just remember.
You cant have SLAUGHTER,
without LAUGHTER
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Well, far be it for me to "call the bosses daughter ugly"...grin I just know you reside in one of THE destinations when it comes to gagger whitetails.

WWP53D
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Well, far be it for me to "call the bosses daughter ugly"...grin I just know you reside in one of THE destinations when it comes to gagger whitetails.

I know, I know.
Rub it in, why dont ya.

Just remember.
You cant have SLAUGHTER,
without LAUGHTER
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
They were hard earned from what I can gather, and, they certainly aren't dinks.....Looks/sounds to me you had a pretty dang nice season shared with both family and friends. Keep your eye on the prize Portsider. smile

WWP53D
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
They were hard earned from what I can gather, and, they certainly aren't dinks.....Looks/sounds to me you had a pretty dang nice season shared with both family and friends. Keep your eye on the prize Portsider. smile

Your absolutley correct.
Been a slice, with our last few posts.(tongue got a bit sore)
Keep your stick on the ice.

Just remember.
You cant have SLAUGHTER,
without LAUGHTER

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

60 members (aaronward9, 10gaugemag, 6mmbrfan, 6MMWASP, BigCreekRanger, 9 invisible), 1,546 guests, and 749 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,555
Posts18,510,427
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.