-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 22 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 21 22
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Bob where is their final resting place? When we were on Maui last year we tried to make it to the far side well past Hana to see Charles Lindbergs grave. Unfortunatly severe storms the days before made it a bit of a rough trip in a rental car and we never made it quite that far.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Elmwood Cemetery
Chanute, Kansas
Plot: Sec175 Blk03 Lot009 Sp04
http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=19038470

Map of cemetery:
http://www.chanute.org/government/departments/Cemetery/maps/elmwood.htm

The photo above of the grave site is not mine. I posted the photo from the www.findagrave.com web site. We didn't visit the graves on our visit to Chanute. We probably would have but didn't realize at the time that they were buried there (any didn't think to ask anyone about it when we were there).

-Bob F.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Thanks to everyone that posted photos. I've only read Osa's "I married adventure", and was fortunate enough to find a first edition in a used book store a couple of years ago. Adventure is a real understatment for their lives. I'd leave this world happy with just 5% of Osa's experiences. She was likely a 1 in 10 million find. I think I have one of those at home too, with the only difference being that I can outshoot my wife.

1Minute
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I wound up getting a Copy of "I Married Adventure" from Amazon. The Museum was out and I had another order going to Amazon. The book is published in arrangement with the The Martin and Osa Johnson Safari Museum so hopefully no matter where you pick up a copy the museum still benefits. smile

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I just couldn't resist adding one more photo to this thread. The photo below is one of five original photos that I have purchased. This one is a fashion shot for the March 1940 issue of Hollywood Magazine.

The second scan is the description that was on the back of the photo. Notice the handwritten note that states, "In coat made of gazelle she shot herself." Sure wouldn't see that in a magazine about celebrities today!!! Anyway, I thought some here might enjoy seeing the photo.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Cheers!
-Bob F.

"Whose bright idea was it to put every idiot in the world in touch with every other idiot? It's working!" -- P. J. O'Rourke
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Great Photo of a Classy, Beautiful Lady. cool cool

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

WJU Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I love seeing this historical rifle & old pictures. Thank you very much for sharing them with us. And congrats on the rifle.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I do not know about the rest of you, but I figure Mr Johnson must have been quite a man to have captured the heart of such a woman as Osa.

"She was likely a 1 in 10 million find. I think I have one of those at home too, with the only difference being that I can outshoot my wife."

I married such a woman as well and although I shoot faster, I have never shot more accurately than she. We are bound for South Africa in the spring, her choice of rifle is 30-06. Her reasoning sound. She said that none of the animals we will hunt are bigger than the moose we hunt, and none of them have traveled more than twenty yards after she shot them.

I humbly submit that when a country boy marries a girl from the bush, he has done the wisest thing he will ever do. Beauty, strength, both inner and outer, and a natural problem solving manner are the blessings I have experienced over the past 32 years.
Randy

Praise the Lord for full Salvation
Christ Still lives upon the throne
And I know the blood still cleansess
Deeper than the sin has gone
Lester Roloff
WJU Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Here is a nice video clip of the Johnsons. What a great life!

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x52o69_martin-and-osa-johnson_travel

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
They both appeared to have died quite young, in their 50s.

Does anyone know what caused their deaths?

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 13579
They both appeared to have died quite young, in their 50s.

Does anyone know what caused their deaths?

From Wikipedia

Martin Johnson died in the crash of a Western Air Express Boeing 247 commercial flight near Newhall, California in 1937. Osa was severely injured but recovered. By October 1937, the New York Times was publishing dispatches of Osa's latest trip to Africa, in which she described lifestyles and practices of the Masai and other tribes.
She died in New York City of a heart attack in 1953.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Just a quick follow up:

Osa's rifle arrived at my gunsmith's shop (Todd Johnson) on December 26. Todd called me this morning (Dec 27) with a preliminary report.

Serial number is 105930 which, according to Jon Speed's book, puts the year of manufacture as 1930-1931. "BUG" proof marks. Length of pull is 13.0 inches.

I have not seen the rifle yet but according to Todd the rifle is in immaculate condition; almost pristine. Todd said the seller's photos (see the photos I posted earlier in this thread) don't do the rifle justice. Blueing is about 95-98% with age related patina (which Todd described as beautiful). Stock and recoil pad are in excellent condition. Bore is in excellent condition and rifling is crisp. Fore end tip is authentic horn.

Due to the Christmas holiday (and out of town family staying at his house) and him being under the weather the past couple of days, Todd told me he had not pulled the action from the stock yet. He doesn't want to work on it until he's feeling better. So, no detailed report yet on other proof marks, etc. at this time. Rest assured that I will follow up with more information in the coming weeks.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Cheers! [Linked Image]
-Bob F.

"Whose bright idea was it to put every idiot in the world in touch with every other idiot? It's working!" -- P. J. O'Rourke
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
We'll all be watching for the photos. A man of your Class rates this Classic, IMO. Please hunt it from time to time. wink

L2S

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
As a former Executive Chef for Hilton I surely recognize the hotel stamp on that last photo. smile

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Wow Bob, what a GREAT find & piece of history! Say will you be in Dallas for the convention next month? jorge

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by jorgeI
Say will you be in Dallas for the convention next month? jorge

Sorry to say that I won't be at the Dallas show. I will be attending the Houston Safari Club convention. (January 16-18)

Cheers!
-Bob F.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BFaucett
Just a quick follow up:

Osa's rifle arrived at my gunsmith's shop (Todd Johnson) on December 26. Todd called me this morning (Dec 27) with a preliminary report.

Serial number is 105930 which, according to Jon Speed's book, puts the year of manufacture as 1930-1931. "BUG" proof marks. Length of pull is 13.0 inches.

I have not seen the rifle yet but according to Todd the rifle is in immaculate condition; almost pristine. Todd said the seller's photos (see the photos I posted earlier in this thread) don't do the rifle justice. Blueing is about 95-98% with age related patina (which Todd described as beautiful). Stock and recoil pad are in excellent condition. Bore is in excellent condition and rifling is crisp. Fore end tip is authentic horn.

Due to the Christmas holiday (and out of town family staying at his house) and him being under the weather the past couple of days, Todd told me he had not pulled the action from the stock yet. He doesn't want to work on it until he's feeling better. So, no detailed report yet on other proof marks, etc. at this time. Rest assured that I will follow up with more information in the coming weeks.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Cheers! [Linked Image]
-Bob F.

The "gun rack" in the photo looks even better than the rifle. laugh

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Great rifle, Mr. Fawcett!
Thanks for the photos, too. I had about half of them.
When I got home from work, I had to get down my books by Osa Johnson to look at the photos of her and her rifles.

I thought that Husqvarna you posted earlier this year was cool, but his is way cool. If anyone even mentions drilling and tapping it or replacing the pad with anything but red rubber, drive them into the wilderness! I would reblue it to protect it, though.

If you want the stock duplicated but longer, PM me.

A few years ago, a gun dealer I know well had a .470 Thomas Bland double rifle like hers, which he had bought, sold to safari-bound hunters, bought back and sold again some 11 times. He had just gotten it back, with a partial box of cartridges, so we went out to the farm and shot it. Once was enough for him, but I had to warm up both barrels. Whew!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Cool! Thanks for the link. I had seen photos of that airplane before but didn't know about their web site.

Thanks!
-Bob F.

Page 5 of 22 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 21 22

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

301 members (1minute, 204guy, 16penny, 1beaver_shooter, 1_deuce, 17CalFan, 39 invisible), 2,429 guests, and 1,335 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,112
Posts18,483,428
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.