Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
J
JJABPOS Offline OP
OP Offline
J
This has been bugging me for a while. I always hear you should have a shotgun fit you properly to be able to handle it better and shoot better. Well, how do you accomplish that?

Also, how do you measure LOP? Is it from the trigger to the end of the buttstock?

I have a few shotguns and they all feel like they don't fit me that well. I went and fondled a BUNCH at gander yesterday and I think the one that felt the best was a Browning over and under in 20 gauge. I think it was a citori. Felt right, shouldered right and the grip in the hand felt right. With my Mossberg and even my Ithaca, they seem a little thick around the grip and far away from the trigger. So I feel like I'm really reaching just to get the very tip of my finger on the trigger. Now, I always use the pad on my tip, not the joint, on any weapon, but those two just feel too far away.

Anyone else have this problem?

It seems like Remington's grips are much slimmer and closer to reach. But when I fondle them, they almost feel TOO thin. I feel like Goldie Locks and the 3 bears sometimes. Sometimes I feel like none of my rifles/ guns fit me properly.

I'm a 5/7" and skinny and many times feel like the youth models fit better. Although certain manufactures almost feel too small.

I wanted to fondle an 11-87 Youth model but they didn't have one. DARN!

GB1

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Stand and stare at a spot on the wall in front of you for 30 seconds with the gun held low by your waist. Close your eyes and mount the gun and point it at the spot. Open your eyes. If your gun fits you well, you'll be pointing right at that spot or pretty darn close. If it feels good in your hands also, you got it made.

That's an overly simplified test not to be used as an alternative to a proper fitting done by a pro, but it'll give you an idea as to whether it fits or not.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
J
JJABPOS Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Thank you. I'll try that. I did a little research on LOP. And it seems like something in the range of 13-1/2" seems to fit me good. Without a big jacket. 13" would probably work with thick clothes. If I got a youth model of some sort, I could probably put a spacer in or something. But I think 14" is probably too long. And the whole grip thing is obviously an issue. The mossberg is kind of thick and far away for my finger. I have this daisy BB gun that has like the best dimensions. It really feels good. Now if I can translate that to a shotgun. hehehehehhee.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

139 members (1beaver_shooter, 14idaho, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 300_savage, 16penny, 23 invisible), 1,429 guests, and 1,017 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,864
Posts18,478,650
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.