Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Ok, so I was just looking at the new 2009 Remington catalog online.
I know they had a varmint rifle last year that has a barrel that is triangle shaped - looks kind of cool I guess since I'm big on fluted barrels why not. Well per the catalog they now offer one in a hunting rifle - the new model XHR rifle.
So, just wondering if there is any practical reason for making a triangle shaped barrel. Would it end up cooling better or? Or just the latest gimmick.
Just wondering, besides that they also have a pretty nice looking tactical rifle.

"Rather hunt Mule deer than anything else"
"Team 7MM-08"
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Maybe stiffer? I just wonder how vibration can be uniform. A friend of mine has a 700 VTR and shoots some pretty good groups with it.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Proof is in the pudding as they say.

If triangle barrels were better you would see the benchrest crowd using them.

As far as I know they are not. Now I do not follow the benchrest crowd so I may be wrong, but if there was ever a group of firearms people more willing to do anything to get the most accurate firearm, I sure do not know about them. I would find a benchrest forum and post your question to them.

..pick..
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
...Barrels don't get stiffer when material is removed from them, no matter the final shape they are machined to. The stiffness of a barrel is a result of the "quantity" of steel used, not the finished shape. Unless the triangular barrel provides a dimension that incorporates more steel, it will not be stiffer than a barrel of round configuration incorporating a like quantity of steel.Many people seem to mistakenly believe that fluting a barrel, for example, causes increased stiffness. Not so! Removing steel decreases stiffness, but certainly, because it increases surface area,it will be an aid to more rapid cooling( and of course reduces weight).

....In my view, a trangle shaped barrel will yield no improvement in rifle performance. Wait and see...OMO..

Last edited by olhippie; 01/06/09.
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
But I suppose they will sell a bunch just because it looks kinda cool.

One new good one that is listed for 2009, their CDL stainless fluted in 257 Roberts - that is one on my hit list. It would be a fun black tail/antelope gun.

Hey Dan360 doesn't your fiance' maybe need one of those you said you needed a new gun...

Last edited by Oregonmuley; 01/06/09.

"Rather hunt Mule deer than anything else"
"Team 7MM-08"
IC B2

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
The stiffness of a barrel is a result of the "quantity" of steel used, not the finished shape.

Not true. For a given amount of steel the moment of inertia of the cross section, which changes with shape, influences the resistance to bending.

Note that I am not saying removing material from an already made barrel will make it stiffer.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Saw the same in the catalog this AM. Imagine it'll look neat, if nothing else. Noticed these will use mag contour barrels, but don't recall if they were ported or not. Suspect not.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by olhippie
...Barrels don't get stiffer when material is removed from them, no matter the final shape they are machined to. The stiffness of a barrel is a result of the "quantity" of steel used, not the finished shape. Unless the triangular barrel provides a dimension that incorporates more steel, it will not be stiffer than a barrel of round configuration incorporating a like quantity of steel. ...

Actually, it is not the amount of steel that is the primary determinant of stiffness but the distance from the centerline to the outer edge. The reason a fluted barrel is stiffer than a non-fluted barrel of like weight is the fluted barrel is larger in diameter.

Since a triangular barrel can have a greater distance from the centerline to the extreme edges, it may well do a better job of providing greater stiffness for a given weight. Whether the difference is better than a round, fluted barrel remains to be seen.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
Y
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Y
Recall if you will high school geometry class. Or at least look at the trusses in your attic. The triangle is the stiffest geometric form. It would also follow that the triangle shaped barrel would trump a round barrel in the heat dissipation department.

I am of the opinion that the triangle shaped barrel would be vastly superior to a round barrel.. for a jack handle. I picked up one of them at the local firearms emporium. I do not remember which model it was. I was greatly impressed by the mass of the thing.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
That would make sense if barrels were two dimensional and we were trying to crush them. But thank god, we're not, and they are three dimensional.

The triangular shaped barrel makes some sense from a weight reduction standpoint, and a lot of sense from a sales standpoint.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
all I can say is as new as they are and as many has been sold, I sure do see alot of barely used ones for sale in the classifieds on the various boards. kinda makes you go ummmmmmm

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
just saw the catalog. They haven't dropped the 260 YET.

As far as the tri-barrel...hell, if it shoots go for it.

Talking to you is like trying to nail jello to the wall.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
A friend of mine has a new triangle barrel 308 with the top ported muzzle brake section, I think it's a VTR. When he finally gets it scoped up I'll have him shoot it with a couple of reference loads. We'll know the story pretty quick. If a 308 won't shoot a 168 grain match bullet on top of 46 grains of Varget it's ailing somewhere.

V
Vek Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
Originally Posted by mathman
The stiffness of a barrel is a result of the "quantity" of steel used, not the finished shape.

Not true. For a given amount of steel the moment of inertia of the cross section, which changes with shape, influences the resistance to bending.

Note that I am not saying removing material from an already made barrel will make it stiffer.

Furthermore, the elastic modulus for plain carbon steel is about the same as that of any barrel alloy. No appreciable "stiffness" difference between a given contour in CM versus stainless.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Another gimmic me thinks.Remember the electronic primer and how far that went????

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Would these barrels be cheaper to manufacture in the triangular shape?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
if the blanks are triangles there is less waste as a square split diaganally in half, but I believe round blanks are extruded that way

Praise the Lord for full Salvation
Christ Still lives upon the throne
And I know the blood still cleansess
Deeper than the sin has gone
Lester Roloff
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Just scanned the back section of the new catalog. No 1-8" .22CF offerings, in spite of all this "long range" and "precision" talk that is found throughout the rifle section.

Now with even more aplomb
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I've handled a couple. Odd ducks. That stock would be a throwaway if you rebarreled it in the future.

The .223 did have the fastest twist Remington offers in a .223, which is a 1-9" if I remember right. That, and the cost, was why I even picked it up to look at it.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If your a lefty and want a new SS Remington now would be the time to buy an XCR as no more LH SS guns appear anymore in 2009. I swear this company's marketing and sales strategy seem to be governed by using a Quija board!

Last edited by 2Seventy; 01/07/09.

Member: NRA Life Benefactor
Gun Owners of America
2nd Amendment Foundation
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

96 members (7mm_Loco, 300_savage, 2500HD, 1973cb450, 17 invisible), 1,651 guests, and 1,040 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,623
Posts18,474,053
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.