-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 17 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 16 17
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have helped maybe a dozen kids get their first deer hunting with me with one of my rifles.

If they are really little they use my 223 Handy Rifle,so far it has two kills(a one shot and a two shot).

Most of them have used my 260 Remington with 120 grain balistic tips. All one shot kills.

One of the kids used my 270 Weatherby because I wasn't confident he could make the 430 yard shot with my 7mm-08 which was sighted in for 200 yards. I wouldn't have let him try but his dad was dieing from cancer and wanted to see his son get his first deer. The kid made a perfect shoulder shot and he was 12 years old at the time,we had practiced a lot.

I say this to make a couple of points,lots of things work depending upon the circunstances,the 223 kills were inside of 100 yards on small bodied deer.The 260 and 7mm-08 kills were at lots of reasonable distances at deer of various sizes.

My other point is life is too short and there are lots of more important issues to waste time arguein about about this kind of BS.

Hell,take a kid hunting or shooting,or a handicapped person. There really is no point in going on like a bunch of Jr. High boys about who is the coolest or who has the best stuff.

Just my thoughts,carry on ladies,if you must.

Last edited by ruraldoc; 01/11/09.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
This pissing match happens here every year at this time,you have those that have(referred to a stunsters) vs. those that haven't(referred to as an expert by osmosis )

"Like sands thru an hour glass these are the days of our life""

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

J
jimmyp Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
the 22-250AI with a 70 grain TSX bullet seems to be bordering on a .243Win with the 85 grain TSX! That is sure an interesting idea! Too bad most all manufactururers seem to want to put 1-14's in their 22-250's leading one to a custom rifle. The place I have seen problems with the 30-06 is shooting a small whitetail with a somewhat harder 180 grain bullet. It looks like from the discussions that a .223 with a 62 grain TSX will probably outperform a 30-06 with a 180 on a small deer under 100 yards, but probably not a 30-06 shooting a 150. For a low recoil type rifle the 22-250 with a 62 grain TSX with the right twist seems to be very interesting!
Just spoke briefly with my friend at the gun store I frequent, they lost two bucks in Alabama this year shooting them with that new Rem 6.8SPC, don't know the details, he usually shoots a .260 and as far as I know has never lost one with that rifle.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Jeff_O
Battue, it's not something I would do again (on purpose anyway, grin)... I butchered him myself so I got to deal with the consequences and I was pretty disgusted with the mess I'd made...

I am primarily a meat hunter, so shooting him right in the meat was... regrettable.

Dunno what would have happened with a .223. Would it have smashed the hip joint and gone through the whole deer lengthwise?

Jeff I wouldn't take that shot with a .223. One of the reasons I usually go with .30s or above as it gives me more options. I also would not necessarily expect the .30-06 to penetrate the whole deer. Again the intent is to break him down then finish it quickly. Shots that break hips usually involve the spine or destroy the ability to move and are usually decisive. Shooting them there involves more than a random shot to the rear.

But if I am willing to place additional restrictions on myself the .223 will work. I think your opponents willingly accept those limitations and feel me, you and the rest of us should recognize that as obvious and therefore the .223 works on deer at least as well as the .30-06.

Last edited by battue; 01/11/09.

laissez les bons temps rouler
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Paul Walukewicz
you're a load your mother should have swallowed.

i've enjoyed a lot of your posts... usually when i see your name it is worth a click....
this kind of pissin in the fire needs to go away.....

"Chances Will Be Taken"

IC B2

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
There was a guy near here who hunted for years with a Win 9422 in 22 Mag. He did it at night with a flashlight. Shot almost all of them in the eye. It took the fish and game boys a long time to get him but he killed a lot of deer.
I don't know many people around here that use a 223. The deer are small and the terrain is very dense. Most use a 243 or 270. My cousin lives in Alabama were deer are vermin and he kills 2 or 3 a week. He shoots a 22-250. The first deer I ever saw killed was with a 22 Hornet in 1952. One went through but one blew up one his shoulder.
The Savage 22HiPower was touted as a great round for everything including tigers. It's gone now.
Ray put this is the best perspective.

Anything Worth Doing Is Worth Overdoing
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by croldfort
Steelhead and I butt heads on this every time the .223/deer subject comes up. I really do respect his opinion. In my deer camp, we had 3 deer hanging. Mine was the smallest, a nice long tined 8 point. No one shoots does or small bucks but ladies and children. No one uses a rifle smaller than .25 caliber other than ladies or children. We are locals and try for big deer. I am not saying this to provoke, only to explain where I'm coming from. The .270 Win is probably the most used rifle in our camp. I killed my buck at 313yds with a .308 Win. Bang, flop. I have several rifles .25 caliber and smaller, but I do not choose to take them deer hunting here in KS. Big boys roam here. Good luck.

I live about 70 miles southeast of you, doubt there is a large difference in body size of the deer we are hunting. The 3 largest bucks I've ever seen were all taken by a 243 by 3 different hunters. The smallest one went 166+ B&C score, and all were huge bodied. One was taken at a range of a couple feet(Brother in law got that one as it jumped over him and the fenceline he was backed into), one at 150 yards and one at 280. Placement and bullet construction count way more than dia.! Every time.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by My24462
.223 bullet doesn't have the penetration power to pass through big deer bone.

Uh, yes it does, with the right bullet.

Proudly representing oil companies, defense contractors, and firearms manufacturers since 1980. Because merchants of death need lawyers, too.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Foxbat
The problem with the internet is a couple guys that are very experienced at putting a marginal cartridge in just the right spot, can make it appear that anyone or everyone will have the same results.

yeah....like eleven year old kids?

[Linked Image]

And that was a Hornet, not a .223, which is a magnum by comparison. Whitetail deer are small, fragile animals and aren't at all difficult to kill. Most don't outweight the enemy soldiers that 5.56 rounds have been killing for almost fifty years, and deer don't wear body armor or have an ideology that compels them to fight on when injured. So its kind of silly to say a .223 with good bullets is some kind of expert's gun on deer.

But it is equally silly to suggest that there is no qualitative difference between the performance of a 55 grain TSX or the like at 3300 fps and, say, a 150 grain BT at 3000 from an '06. There is a significant difference. Once they're dead, they're dead but the '06 is definitely more.....well, authoritative.

Proudly representing oil companies, defense contractors, and firearms manufacturers since 1980. Because merchants of death need lawyers, too.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by ruraldoc

My other point is life is too short and there are lots of more important issues to waste time arguing about about this kind of BS.

Based on page count for these recurring threads, apparently not to some folks, doc. wink

IC B3

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Paul Walukewicz
you're a load your mother should have swallowed.

Thats way outta line. Grow up......

Can't believe the moderators haven't deleted this one for ya.

C
CLB Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
It's not possible to think it will perform better than the 30-06. Personally, I draw the line at .243 and only under the right conditions. I know it can be done, but why risk it.

Chris

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
S
No

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by highridge1
NO

I'll see your NO and raise you a HELL NO.

" A little solitude is a mighty precious thing "
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Watch it guys... what you are saying is strictly verboten... grin...

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
killing deer is made up of many factors.
the lowest of importance is caliber.

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I would ask, would you make a remark like about someones mother face to face? If anyone ever did that face to face about my mom, he would be dead in seconds and to hell with the results, and you can take that to the bank.

That kind of stuff is uncalled for and you should not be allowed to post another post on this forum IMO....It amazes me how brave some of these cowards can be at 1500 miles away using an anomous name.

This thread is ridiculas to start with. The answer is obvious in that the more powerful caliber is the better choice, end of story

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Banning would be his easy way out. No second chance. Way to go Ray.

There is no place like home. Western Oklahoma.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Given my choice, I'd take the .30-06 every time - unless I was shooting the dog-sized deer I've seen in some areas of the country.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by My24462
.223 bullet doesn't have the penetration power to pass through big deer bone.

Yup

220 Swift still king.
Page 6 of 17 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 16 17

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

568 members (12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 257 roberts, 204guy, 257wthbylover, 10gaugemag, 61 invisible), 2,294 guests, and 1,283 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,505
Posts18,509,246
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.