Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Dakotakid
WGM,, One thing is clear on the Campfire,, ones creditability isnt defined by his number of posts,, That was just low,,you are one sick mutha...............
I was the one who said it wasn't a laughing matter. I think you have the wrong guy.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
When I was quite young, I was with a fella that chambered a .303 British Round into a 7mm Rem Mag. The rifle was a Parker Hale 1100. The bolt stayed in the rifle, but had sheared a lug or two. The stock was split, and the trigger guard assembly had come apart. There was a lot of powder, brass, and steel in this guy's face. He went on to recover fully, after a large magnet was used to pull the steel from his eye and face. The sights and sounds of those few moments will stay with me forever, and define everything I know, and will ever learn about rifle safety. Upon later inspection, the .303 slug made it about 2 inches into the barrel. That rifle and bolt took the full force of that round, a fact that I am both amazed and thankful for. Things like this can happen to anyone, anytime. They not only affect the shooter, but everyone involved. Just thought I would share, and wish this fella, his hunting pards and family, a speedy recovery.
Make mine a Mauser as well.
R.

You can run, but you'll just die tired.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Hawkeye,, You are Right,, You are the Wrong guy, and confused

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Hawkeye,, You are Right,, You are the Wrong guy, and confused
I am confused by confusing conduct. Next time you wish to criticize someone's statement, provide a quote identifying who you're criticizing, or at least hit reply from the post you wish to criticize, not from someone else's post. It's just the honorable and decent thing to do. I hope that's not asking too much of you.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Hawkeye,, I went back and read my post,, you are correct, I apologize,, no harm intended,, Randy

IC B2

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Hawkeye,, I went back and read my post,, you are correct, I apologize,, no harm intended,, Randy
Good deal.

I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
You're still confused though, bro'!!!

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by isaac
You're still confused though, bro'!!!
If that's a joke, Isaac, how about a smilie?

I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
It was certainly a joke and I don't know how to do the smiley thingy!

And, I was getting tired of writing grin like a dumb-azz all the time.

But yeah....it was intended as fun...or more like smart-assed!

As long as I keep getting those awesome recipes, I'm going easier and I will just let the primaries do my talking...again, the grin.

Last edited by isaac; 12/29/07.

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
It was certainly a joke and I don't know how to do the smiley thingy!

And, I was getting tired of writing grin like a dumb-azz all the time.

But yeah....it was intended as fun...or more like smart-assed!

As long as I keep getting those awesome recipes, I'm going easier and I will just let the primaries do my talking...again, the grin.
Did you get the Pasta [bleep] recipe I gave to Mrs. 280 on the last food thread?

IC B3

I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
No, but I'll graciously accept it now! And thanks.

William Arthur Ward

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
No, but I'll graciously accept it now! And thanks.
I'll PM it to you.

D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
The design of the Mossberg is probably OK, but the manufacture and assembly certainly needs better quality control. Manufacturers try to reduce costs through component engineerng (cast vs. forged, stamping vs. milled, etc.). Nothing wrong with this approach, but it does require more attention to detail.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
� I don't know how to do the smiley thingy! �

Shucks, that's so easy that even I can do it. Just type grin, smile, or wink between colons (:like this:) to get one of these:
: + grin + : = grin
: + smile + : = smile
: + wink + : = wink

There are others, too � for example:
eek (eek)
sick (sick)

When you see one in a post and want to see how to make it, click on Quote at the bottom of that post and study the results.

grin smile wink grin smile wink grin smile wink grin smile wink grin smile wink grin smile wink grin smile wink grin smile wink grin smile wink grin smile wink

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
confused
laugh
kwel

R
R
is there an actual news article we can read bout these incidents?

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
How are is the lug section on Rem 700 bolts attached?

Moe

"Pick out two!"
B
BMT Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Bristoe
I see your pic now. I didn't before I made my previous post.

It's easy to see how it's assembled. The entire head of the bolt is doweled to the bolt body and the dowel has a hole in it for the firing pin to pass through,... which obviously makes the dowel weak.

,... an accident waiting to happen,... and apparently,.. it did.

That's a SAVAGE bolt.

Its a MOSSBERG that blew.

Savages BOLTS are plenty strong by design.

The Mossberg BOLTS have a different design.

Its the barrel nut that makes the two seem similar, not the bolts.

My 2 cents.

BMT

"The Church can and should help modern society by tirelessly insisting that the work of women in the home be recognized and respected by all in its irreplaceable value." Apostolic Exhortation On The Family, Pope John Paul II
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
From looking at the picture of the Mossburg bolt, I get the impression that the lugs perform no usefull function at all.

Every bit of the bolt thrust force is dependent on that one pin, which likes it is about 1/4" in diameter.

Basically, what you have is a bolt being held in place by a 1/4" diameter pin. Compare the area and shear strength of the pin to the area of the lugs on an 03 Springfield, 98 Mauser, M700, M70, and especially the Mark 5 Wby.

The safety lug on an 03 is larger, and I would think, much stronger that the pin in the Mossburg, and some rifles even use the bolt handle base as an extra safety measure in the event the locking lugs somehow failed.

It looks like the least Mossburg could have done would have been to design a safety lug into the bolt, in the event the pin failed.

I wonder if any of these rifles were ever fired with proof loads before they left the factory. If so, then the proof load could have weakened the pin enough that a normal load would cause it to shear.

The lugs on a M700 are brazed or welded on. I wonder if any test have ever been made to determine how much force it would take to shear the lugs off a Remington bolt.

In my opinion, a shear pin is one of the weakest mechanical designs ever made. Some machines are made with a shear pin incorporated into the design so that the pin is the weakest link, and will shear before other, more extensive damage can occur.

It appears that Mossburg failed to read that particular page in that particular book.

bcp Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Mossberg bolt head-like Savage without the baffle.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

62 members (akrange, 7mm_Loco, 300_savage, 99Ozarks, 7 invisible), 1,587 guests, and 754 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,626
Posts18,492,910
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.