With a long tube if you don't mind.

laissez les bons temps rouler
GB1

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
That is a given....

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
D
DMB Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by battue
With a long tube if you don't mind.

Without the long tube, they may as well forget the whole issue...

Don Buckbee

JPFO
NRA Benefactor Member
NSSA Life Member

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I bugged them about it, at last years ACGG show, and they hinted that it was being considered. They will have a booth again this year, so I'll bug 'em again! Heck, they could even "improve" it a tad. Why not put it in a 30mm tube, with the lens diameter increased to fill the bigger hole? Not the silly "European" straight tube models, that have 30mm tubes, but have the same 20mm lens, that are in the 1" tube scope. No point whatsoever in increasing the tube diameter of a straight tube scope, unless it's to make room for a larger lens IMO.

Jeff

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Very interested.
Given the fact, that the ONLY fixed 2,5x Models left at Leupold are "Ultralight" and "Scout".

We NEED a fixed, rugged 2,5x or 3x Glas.
I think FX II (Multi Coat 4) would be good enough.

Member of the Merry Band of turdlike People.

IC B2

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I have 3 of those old 3X Leupolds on my DG rifles and one of my 250-3000 Savage M-99 saddle gun, could use another on my Savage 308..

If I had to settle on one scope for all my hunting it would be the Leupold 3X.

BTW the old'un is plenty long for any action with room to spare and thats one of its extras...

The longest shot I ever made on an animal was with the 3X Leupold and the sight pictures was just fine for me..A buck was looking at me from on top of a Rimrock. My 308 savage 99 was sighted in 2 inches high at 100 yards. He was a big buck and I had a good rest so I put the cross hairs on the top of his horns and dropped a bullet in his chest. The Nosler stopped under the skin on his rib cage, he just fell off the rimrock, maybe the fall killed him! smile My point is I could not have had a better sight picture with a 16X and I would have had trouble holding the high power scope on the animal as long as my heart was beating. go figure.

I'm not sure the baby boomer generation is buying this Low power scope stuff, but a few old curmudgeons know from whence I come smile

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
An FX-II 3X with click adjustments and a post reticle would be a very good thing, and I would be in line to purchase. I have five or six M-8 3X's, one M-7 3X, and a Weaver Micro-Track K3. I think enough of them to have taken one, with post reticle, to Africa on my .404 Jeffery.

A Leupold employee has implied to me that serious consideration is being given, so perhaps we'll see it this year. I can only hope...

Dennis

"The more you run over a dead cat, the flatter it gets."

"If you're asking me something technical, you may be looking for My Other Brother Darrell."

"It ain't foot-pounds that kills stuff -- it's broken body parts."
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
I have also used the 3x Leupold a lot and it is indeed plenty for big game hunting, especially where eally dim light isn't an issue. In fact I used one on a 7x57 in May in Africa, and took several animals out to 250-300 yards, including such smaller antelope as springbok and bushbuck.

I think one of the illusions that some shooters have is that aiming at a single hair somehow makes the bullet go there. But with 3x it is easy to aim at the correct part of even an 80-pound springbok at 300 yards. In fact I have killed pronghorn at 300 yards with a 2.5x scope, and caribou at over 300 with a Lyman 48 and bead front sight on a pre-'64 .270. So why not 3x? With multi-coated glass a new 3x Leupold would be better than ever.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Well IF they do decide to offer us FIXED power scope fans options, new....let's add a 7.5 or 8x back in the mix....as they once were mfg.

Yukoner Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Well, it is encouraging to hear that I am not the only one hearing that others are hearing that Leupold is perhaps hearing what we have been saying for a while now. laugh

Ted

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Yukoner
Well, it is encouraging to hear that I am not the only one hearing that others are hearing that Leupold is perhaps hearing what we have been saying for a while now. laugh

Ted

I know for a fact that at least one Leupold guy reads these forums and follows the 3X sale action on eBay et al. And I know that a lot of folks continue to pester them about bringing back a 21st Century 3X... grin.

Dennis

"The more you run over a dead cat, the flatter it gets."

"If you're asking me something technical, you may be looking for My Other Brother Darrell."

"It ain't foot-pounds that kills stuff -- it's broken body parts."
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
If he is reading: I'll take two and send them back for dots.

Last edited by battue; 01/11/09.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by 65BR
Put a Post/CH and #4 in them and I'll buy one, in fact I'll take a 4x33 as well, w/those reticles.

I have a 6 x Leupold that has the German Number 4 reticle and one that has the German Number ONE reticle...

you can get those on a 4 power one also... and I highly recommend those if you like the old post crosshair reticle...in fact, I like both of these better...

I've had a 3 x Leupold I bought for $40.00 knowing it was bad... but also knew Leupold would swap me a 4 power for it... but I ended up with a 6 power instead...

I just see the appeal of a 3 power when a 2.5 power is available...I don't notice any difference in real world potential magnification..

Last edited by Seafire; 01/12/09.

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

D
DMB Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Well if Leupold does bring out a fixed 3x, they can count me in for several of them, at least 3, maybe more. With glass as good as they have on their VX-7, in a fixed 3x, I'd buy a bunch of them. Set at 3x, the VX-7 I have is just awesome. (I have a 1.5-6x VX-7)

Don Buckbee

JPFO
NRA Benefactor Member
NSSA Life Member

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Why would they not just offer the 2.5 in a long tube and be done with it?

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
They can put me down for at least two of them.I like the standard Duplex.Killed my first mule deer in Missour River Breaks with one on a 30/06 in 1975.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by DMB
Well if Leupold does bring out a fixed 3x, they can count me in for several of them, at least 3, maybe more. With glass as good as they have on their VX-7, in a fixed 3x, I'd buy a bunch of them. Set at 3x, the VX-7 I have is just awesome. (I have a 1.5-6x VX-7)

I also like 3x as a good allround magnification, especially when coupled with good glass...

So I have a Compact ACOG 3x24 (short eyerelief good for 223) and IOR 3x25 (long eyerelief, good for anything). Both are somewhat unconventional choices, but both work very well if you have a one-piece picatinny/weaver rail on your rifle.

ILya

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by atkinson
I'm not sure the baby boomer generation is buying this Low power scope stuff, but a few old curmudgeons know from whence I come smile

Knowing to be just shy of curmudgeonhood myself, ja, even being child to babyboomers - like to state forthwith to know where you come from - on low power fixed scopes, that it.

If polls were enabled (RickBin?) we could take a quick survey amongst us - to give 458Win and Muledeer something to go on talking to Leupold.

Campfires own Leupold-Survey (just my 2 cents):

Magnafication 3x (true)
Tube diameter ? Build to accomodate magnum actions?
Lens coating?
Reticle - give us choices (Duplex and wide duplex minimum)
Finishes?
Do we need a "reticle lock"?
1/4 moa click adjustments

Thank you.

Member of the Merry Band of turdlike People.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Have to think the market is larger for an excellent FX-III 3x than that 25oz VX-L 6.5-20x56 "hippo" and it's slightly smaller offspring.

Don't know the ocular reason for it, but when I look thru my VX-III
1.5-5 at 3x the magnification and field of view seem perfect.

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Originally Posted by Seafire

I just (do not) see the appeal of a 3 power when a 2.5 power is available...I don't notice any difference in real world potential magnification..

Maybe not in magnification, but I have a few low power variables, and no matter what the circumstance, I never have them set less than 3x. On all of them, if I set it less than 3x (maybe just a bit less than 3), I always see the barrel when I look through the scope. I know this does not bother many, but it drives me crazy.
I have two 1-4 variables, and I cant use it less than 3x. I have a 1.5-5, the same thing.
I have looked through a few Leupold 2.5s, both FX and M8-and that barrel is there.
I have the same results when I have looked through other brands of scopes.
I have never used a Leupold 3x, so I cant say for certain that the barrel thing would not be an issue. But I do know looking through other variable leupolds (and others) 3 power makes that barrel dissapear.

Last edited by corporal cleg; 01/12/09.
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

632 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 10ring1, 12344mag, 007FJ, 1eyedmule, 73 invisible), 2,878 guests, and 1,364 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,232
Posts18,485,687
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.