Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by ringworm
i wonder what if any negative effect on deers teeth hard corn could have.

Deer are like Cows.They are ruminants.They have 4 parts to their stomach.They don`t have to chew the corn to pieces.They eat it, let it partially digest and bring it back up as cud to finish it off.PS they digest it very well,ever see corn in deer crap????

Last edited by Huntz; 01/16/09.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
GB1

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by luke
Mogwai; I appreciate the post. Their numbers were really off.
Huntz; The question was pros and cons of deer baiting. I gave mine, and I'm sure their differnt from yours and lots of others.

My point is every one has an opinion.That does not make it right or wrong,just an opinion.Some people think that their opinion is the only one that counts.Do not take this personally as I am generalizing. How bout Them Packers !!!! whistle

Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Ruminants need a certain percentage of long forage in their diet. For cattle, I've always figured 30% will keep you out of trouble all the time. If you're careful, you can get down to about 20% but you gotta watch em close. I saw some university research at 10% forage but that was really pushing it.

Deer can free choice on browse, acorns, grass or your corn. And like muleshoe said, it takes time for their digestive system to get out of whack.

Dale

This space for rent

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
OK, I tried to stay out of this but I just can't.

Baiting is a chickenchit way to hunt. It pits hunter against hunter, brother against brother, landowner against the average joe.

Baiting in WI is out of hand. The DNR has a 2 gal. max for bait, I don't know ANYBODY who baits that follows that rule.

Banned in MN, kind of funny too. I shot two does a few years ago there that had corn in them when I field dressed 'em. Yep, you guess it, not a corn field within 25 miles.

Parents in WI use the excuse all the time that they do it so their kids can see deer when they hunt or they won't go anymore. I call B.S. I hunted for 2yrs before I even SAW a deer in the woods while hunting. Did I get bored, nope, just wanted it even more, so bad I could picture how it was going to happen.

Camp is where you make it.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
[quote=tzone]OK, I tried to stay out of this but I just can't.

Baiting is a chickenchit way to hunt. It pits hunter against hunter, brother against brother, landowner against the average joe.

Nope, it is just another way to Hunt that you dont agree with.That does not make it right or wrong.Just a differnt method period.Its just like any other choice you make in life.The purpose of Hunting is the kill period.Without the Kill ,even if just occasionally,You would not Hunt.If you just like being in the woods,you can go with just a Camera.I remember when Tree stands were not allowed in Wi.They were called Unsportsman like,a unfair advantage,unethicall.You can pick apart anything in Hunting that you do not agree with and call it bad.Pita just loves that kinda schitt!!!!! whistle

Last edited by Huntz; 01/17/09.

IC B2

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I always have and always will use deer feeders.I don't think I asked for anyones opinion on what I do.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Right on brother!

Sometimes I just shoot as many as I feel like. I mean WTF? I don't like having anyone telling me what to do. Its about me and my hunt.

Rifles aren't legal here, but hey, I gotta shoot sumthin' dammit.

When I get about a dozen piled up I just cut the straps out; only thing I like to eat.

You want me to go on? Unless you OWN these animals every one who buys a license has a say in the hunting practices, whether you like them or not. To equate another's idea of fair chase with anything PETA does is silly.

Friend, you can pick apart anything in LIFE and call it bad; its the extremes that need avoided. I'd call PETA one end of that extreme, your fellow hunter in the middle and some guy that raises his deer in a pen and feeds, breeds and shoots them in said pen at the other.

Baiting must really work (no schit); some are venemous to defend its usage.

Last guy that did what HE wanted to shot some people up there....

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
All of my comments are limited to whitetail deer as I never baited anything else. I grew up hunting in PA where baiting is illegal and looked upon as cheating. I now live in TX where corn is actually a verb. From "ethics" standpoint, I don't really see much difference between baiting or hunting over a planted field of some sort. Actually, I believe a planted field or natural bait is much more effective than a corn feeder or something of that sort. That being said, here are what I consider Pros/Cons:

Pros:
Can give you a chance to really look at an animal. This is important to me because of state mandated antler restrictions. Also nice to help age deer.

In TX, where everybody baits I believe it helps keep deer on property vs leaving for somewhere else that is baiting.

Can augment food source for wildlife during hard times of year or drought conditions.

Gives you a good place to put up a trail camera to see the mature bucks that never come out in daylight hours:)

Cons:
Something else to maintain/worry about. If you are using a feeder count on it not working so make sure you put it in a place where you are not soley relying on it to "lure" deer in from somewhere else.

Can be expensive whether it is a food plot or loading a feeder

For some guys, they can be overly reliable on it and not hunt other areas.

Lou

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I don't use a treestand eithter...well not often anyway.

To me hunting is WAY more than just killing. Plenty of times I let game pass without killing it.

The guy asked for pros and cons, picking it apart...I guess you could call it that. I just don't any pros to it.

If a guy can't shoot a deer in a state with a million deer in it without a corn pile, it might be time to reevalueate some things. I'm not telling you not to do it, just said what I thought about it. It is legal so not much I can do about it.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I sure hope that post wasn't directed at me because I never told anybody how to hunt, what to hunt, or where to hunt, or what to do. I just said baiting is a chicken chit way to do it.

In the area of WI that I hunt it, baiting brings on a lot more trouble that it is worth.

As I said before, it's legal here. Problem is not many that bait, do it the legal way. Go walk the woods 2 weeks before deer season in WI and you'll see what I'm talking about.

IC B3

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
No zone, wasn't directed at you. I pretty much agree its a "my pile is better than yours" competition.

I just find it laughable that there are "no right or wrong" ways to go about hunting. Last time I checked there are regs posted, all opinions, mostly a consensus.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I am glad we can all agree to disagree ,and leave it at that.No body wins in pissing contests and ya get all wet to boot!!!!!

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Some of us are just more civil about it.Ones vocabulary says allot about their upbringing.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Pro might just get a deer.

Con you could be gay.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
South Carolina is divided with baiting being only legal in the Coastal Plain over which the SC Department of Natural Resources has no agency authority.

http://www.dnr.sc.gov/wildlife/deer/baitinglaws.html

Conclusion of the SCDNR Wildlife Section biological staff concerning baiting in the Piedmont:

Conclusion

Wildlife Section staff recognizes that hunting deer over bait has taken place in the Coastal Plain for a number of years. However, staff also understands that this situation exists only as a result of the history of deer hunting in that region, the fact that there has been a relatively recent change from dog hunting to still hunting, and the fact that the baiting issue has never been addressed in state law. Now, baiting is the norm rather than the exception in the Coastal Plain yet state law does not prescribe the practice in that region.

Staff is concerned with the obvious role that baiting can play in the biology of deer and in the dissemination and maintenance of disease. Baiting affects other �non target� species and habitats, as well. It should also be understood that social issues involving bait pit hunters and landowners against one another in a �competitive� atmosphere related to the distribution, behavior, and harvest of deer. There are ethical considerations and it is important to recognize that the public at large does not support baiting and this point undermines hunting and wildlife management programs that have historically been accepted.

Finally, although some hunters and legislators believe that baiting increases hunter success and deer harvest rates, data collected in South Carolina over the last 8 years indicate just the opposite. In the Piedmont where baiting is prohibited, hunters kill more deer per unit area and spend less time doing it than in the Coastal Plain where baiting is the norm. The most significant concern of SCDNR Wildlife Section staff is the likelihood that decreased hunter efficiency and deer harvest rates would occur over time if the prohibition on baiting were eliminated in the Piedmont.

In the end, Piedmont hunters who believe that baiting should be allowed must answer one question. What is broken about deer hunting/management in the Piedmont that can be fixed with bait?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by HawkI

Baiting must really work (no schit); some are venemous to defend its usage.

Last guy that did what HE wanted to shot some people up there....

It appears to me that the venom and the psychos are on the anti-baiting side. Just sayin'. I mean, read your own post, for Chrissakes.

Proudly representing oil companies, defense contractors, and firearms manufacturers since 1980. Because merchants of death need lawyers, too.
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Your right Steve, how could I be so blind. Do what ever you wish; it is only my opinion, and who am I to judge.

May the fences run high, the ground be small and the feeders flow. Its all good.

I was just sayin' too...

Nate

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
i dont hunt in a state where baiting is legal but have hunted over bait in other states... If it was legal I would do it because it increases my odds and i am all about odds because I dont have the time to hope and guess....

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered."
― George Orwell, 1984
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
comparing differences of opinion/tradition/state law on baiting to a psycho murderer is just asinine. just sayin'.

people who haven't been around much tend to think their way is the only way....

Proudly representing oil companies, defense contractors, and firearms manufacturers since 1980. Because merchants of death need lawyers, too.
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
I was pointing out the logic behind what a poster (earlier in the thread) had stated regarding certain game laws. If you think the comparison is asinine, I won't lose sleep.

Some think baiting is the only way; I have much more respect for my fellow hunters to think that.

As to where I have been: I know enough about feeders and the places they are used. I know that I do not want them here because they cannot be equated with a field or whatever. To say they are the same WOULD be asinine.

Paint me whatever, but I just don't see baiting anything outside of depredation or culling as a good thing, in the long run.

As to being the only way. Let's just bait everything, since there are no qualifiers. Bait whatever you want, I just cannot defend it. Sorry.

Nate

Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

671 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 10Glocks, 1beaver_shooter, 1eyedmule, 06hunter59, 68 invisible), 15,829 guests, and 1,002 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,200
Posts18,543,539
Members74,060
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.