Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Huntz
The problems seem to be on Public Land.I think the DNR has no buisness telling Private Landowners ,what they can do on their property.The Wi. DNR cant find their Azz with two hands and a flashlight and are not much better with game management.Many of their laws have nothing to do with Game management or Biological needs.They are now a Political organization and make their decisions based on who screams the loudist.I am not for or against baiting.I am against Goverment Intrusion.They over react to everything.CWD for instance.Yes I live in NE Wi. and for years the DNR has got their estimates of Bear Population from a Computer program.They do very little field work any more and have no idea how many Bears are around.Screw them .Here is the Crux of the matter.If you dont like baiting,dont bait.Dont force your will on people who think other wise. whistle

Agreed

"I Birn Quhil I Se" MacLeod of Lewis
I Burn While I See
Hold Fast MacLeod of Harris
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BWalker
Baiting also gives guys with small parcels of marginal land a chance for a good hunt.

BTW all the guys who think hunting over bait is like shooting fish in a barrel should look at the results for the deer season of 08 in MI. The lower peninsula had a baiting ban and success rates where about the same.

Maybe because many said fug it and baited anyway. All the doe's taken at camp had corn in their stomachs. There weren't any corn fields around. confused

I know many private landowners who said to hell with it.

"I Birn Quhil I Se" MacLeod of Lewis
I Burn While I See
Hold Fast MacLeod of Harris
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by HawkI
antler max

Is that for you, or the deer? grin

Hawk, you should know it's only for the deer smile

You know those bucks would get their feelings hurt if their antlers weren't at full potential next fall.

loder

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Yep, you're right. I've never used feeders. They are not legal in any state I've hunted in.

The 2 weeks comment was for WI. Most of the people that bait come out two weeks before the season, dump their corn pile and repeat each weekend until the season starts.

WI law is 2-gallons of bait, no matter what it is per 40 acres. Mineral/salt blocks included. The warden that talks at our hunters saftey classes, says there are 8 gallons of corn in a 50#bag.

Camp is where you make it.
H
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
H
My second night of baiting

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

IC B2

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
T-Zone, we hunt Canada every year and because of distance only bait the first day we get there, then hunt the next day. Never not seen deer the first day hunting. Course we typically bait in places that hold deer.
If your using the right bait and place it properly deer will hit it and fast. Now, if you put it where there are no deer, or where deer dont want to be it can take some time before the hit it.
Its not like it doesnt take any skill to bait.

Last edited by BWalker; 01/20/09.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
This is not directed at anyone in particular, just a couple of thoughts...

I'm not sure what all the fuss is about. Every hunter is hunting bait of some kind - food, water, cover, breeding activity, etc. I've hunted in Texas all my life, and it is super rare for a mature buck to come to a feeder, IME.

It is just as rare for a truly hot doe to be there, and that is the only "bait" that attracts mature bucks. If you want a mature buck, you have to figure out where they take the hot does. These bucks take control of them, and cut them off and take them where they want them, and camp on them and won't leave them...to the point of absolute idiocy.

If we want to talk about bait that is just flat unfair, we'll have to outlaw hunting the rut.

Food plots are far more effective than any form of baiting/feeders, IMO. No contest.

I don't mind feeders. I don't hunt them, but we've got a couple behind the house and it's fun to watch deer (mostly young deer) come to them. I also don't worry about them - the guys hunting them are not killing the deer I'm after, and I hunt a lot on a small ranch surrounded by properties with feeders.

I'd a lot rather have bedding cover and a food plot and the ability to see what I can do with it, than feeders. The last few years we haven't planted any oats at all, so we've just hunted what we had in natural forage - some Oaks dropping acorns and clover and winter grass.

I think we get too worked up about it sometimes, and it seems there's sometimes a little hypocrisy in feeder/baiting criticism from those hunting other kinds of bait just as faithfully.

DJ

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Dj got it right. If you have food, water, beding cover, no need for "bait" piles. The bucks will be there. You just have to wait them out, or go in and get them. Which ever flavor you choose, fine with me.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by JPro
+1

Some folks cry "foul" when the subject of baiting is brought up. Then I ask them why they use bait for fish.

Ya can't shoot fish here in MN. Ya can't bait deer either. My food plots are all froze out and the deer mostly ignore them by the time rifle season rolls around. I feed the deer after rifle season: all they can eat- feed is unlimited for them (going through 150 pounds of corn and sunflowers per day now- about $30). Come to think of it, with my food plots, habitat (woodlot and brushland) improvement, and winter feeding, the only time I don't feed them is during the hunting seasons. And my only hope for reward is that a few older bucks might make it through the hard winters. Of course, I still get accused of baiting deer by some.
Just venting. smile

There are many copies.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A retired net maker can cough up $900.00 a month to feed deer?

Craig

Wood is Good.
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 4_S_ter

Craig

4-skin,

Yes, we were paid well. Please don't screw up this thread with your trolling.

There are many copies.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm done.

Craig

Wood is Good.
J
jmj Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by DPole
Originally Posted by 4_S_ter

Craig

4-skin,

Yes, we were paid well. Please don't screw up this thread with your trolling.

Now that's funny

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by DJTex
This is not directed at anyone in particular, just a couple of thoughts...

I'm not sure what all the fuss is about. Every hunter is hunting bait of some kind - food, water, cover, breeding activity, etc. I've hunted in Texas all my life, and it is super rare for a mature buck to come to a feeder, IME.

It is just as rare for a truly hot doe to be there, and that is the only "bait" that attracts mature bucks. If you want a mature buck, you have to figure out where they take the hot does. These bucks take control of them, and cut them off and take them where they want them, and camp on them and won't leave them...to the point of absolute idiocy.

If we want to talk about bait that is just flat unfair, we'll have to outlaw hunting the rut.

Food plots are far more effective than any form of baiting/feeders, IMO. No contest.

I don't mind feeders. I don't hunt them, but we've got a couple behind the house and it's fun to watch deer (mostly young deer) come to them. I also don't worry about them - the guys hunting them are not killing the deer I'm after, and I hunt a lot on a small ranch surrounded by properties with feeders.

I'd a lot rather have bedding cover and a food plot and the ability to see what I can do with it, than feeders. The last few years we haven't planted any oats at all, so we've just hunted what we had in natural forage - some Oaks dropping acorns and clover and winter grass.

I think we get too worked up about it sometimes, and it seems there's sometimes a little hypocrisy in feeder/baiting criticism from those hunting other kinds of bait just as faithfully.

DJ

Could not have said it better.........

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Baiting is not hunting......It's shooting.

Here we hunt deer and pattern their travels based on natural food sources (90% of the deer diet). We improve the land by fertilizing native browse and planting Duranna Clover year round high protein food plots....Not to hunt over but to increase the health of the wildlife.

A typical 1 acre food plot produces 20,000lbs of 20% high protein forage per year and costs $500 or .$025 per pound...The food plot is there 365 days per year.....Squirrels and Coons don't eat it....Lasts for 5 years when planted in Duranna.

20,000lbs of Corn costs $4,400 this year only or $.18 per pound and contains less than 10% protein. Coons, Hogs and Squirrels love it as much as the Deer and Turkey.

Baiting with Corn makes killing deer easier without improving the health of the herd. It's less work and planning than planting plots or fertilizing native browse.

Robert

Bruz
"You can't scare me.........I have kids"

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
very well said.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Everyone is entitled to their opinion. Water, browse, crops, corn, food plots, does, minerals, cover, seclusion, it's all desired by the animal. You do what you've gotta do, and I'll going on "baiting" with something, might even be a grunt call.

Now with even more aplomb
K
kix Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
K
This is a touchy subject but I must chime in. Here in deep S.Texas I use feeders because of one main reason. Not bashing anyone, but try to comprehend. We can't go 'pussyfooting' from one tree (or woodlot) to the next looking for game. Just try stalking thru thousands of acres of dense, thorn and cactus infested brush and you'll understand. Set up on a 'trail' and wait for Mr.Horns? Forget it. Why? Well, there are thousands of trails-is it a wild hog trail,a javelina trail or simply a cow trail. Sure, you can look for tracks but one deer print doesn't make it a deer highway;in fact, hogs seem to cover every square inch of land so they obliterate everything. Sure, I would like a food plot but a John Deere tractor is just not in my budget. Kix

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You don't need to fit a tractor into your budget. You just need to make friends with a guy that has access to a tractor. (grin)

Now with even more aplomb
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by kix
This is a touchy subject but I must chime in. Here in deep S.Texas I use feeders because of one main reason. Not bashing anyone, but try to comprehend. We can't go 'pussyfooting' from one tree (or woodlot) to the next looking for game. Just try stalking thru thousands of acres of dense, thorn and cactus infested brush and you'll understand. Set up on a 'trail' and wait for Mr.Horns? Forget it. Why? Well, there are thousands of trails-is it a wild hog trail,a javelina trail or simply a cow trail. Sure, you can look for tracks but one deer print doesn't make it a deer highway;in fact, hogs seem to cover every square inch of land so they obliterate everything. Sure, I would like a food plot but a John Deere tractor is just not in my budget. Kix

As I said. Baiting makes it easier to kill deer.....Regardless of how it's rationalized.....We end up at the same place.

BTW: Before I had access to a tractor I put in food plots with a hand tiller and lawn spreader. I also walked around carrying bags of 10-10-10 and fertilized green briar,honeysuckle,Oaks and Muscadine Vines....It works. Granted it's much harder than going out and pouring a pile of Corn and setting up to "Hunt"..... but baiting is not legal here......?Thank goodness.

Robert

Bruz
"You can't scare me.........I have kids"

Page 5 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

625 members (1234, 10Glocks, 1eyedmule, 007FJ, 1badf350, 10gaugemag, 71 invisible), 16,862 guests, and 1,063 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,188
Posts18,543,330
Members74,060
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.