Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I noticed that right away too - nice grain in the buttstock of the bottom one. I do notice that even as a "collector" I have let my shooting preferences influence me. Notice the "theme" wink in this batch of '86 Winchesters:
[Linked Image]

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by boltman
I noticed that right away too - nice grain in the buttstock of the bottom one. I do notice that even as a "collector" I have let my shooting preferences influence me. Notice the "theme" wink in this batch of '86 Winchesters:
[Linked Image]

Steve
Very Nice,Very Nice.,
I Love the theme.
By the Way How do Get all those Guns to Stay in Place.

�Can we move this along?" a bored voice stated. "I have places to be and people to shag."

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That's also what I would like to know. I have the Amityville Horror going through my head...!!! grin grin grin

Mike...

All said, the Savage 99 is a genius of a rifle. Although no longer produced, it remains highly revered, as it was the foundation from which Arthur Savage built one of America's great gun companies. >> (Jon Y. Wolfe) <<
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Sorry - no special powers here wink. They're laying flat!

By the way, the other butt style to go is pictured below. This was a very scarce special order option on lever guns and to my knowledge, we know no examples on vintage Savage lever guns.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
You are going to love that gun, crescent butt, octagonal barrel, light recoil -- beautiful to hold and shoot. My 1899B in .303 is my favorite rifle to shoot off hand.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
That is a great looking rifle Gary, glad you will use too. Les

Back in the heartland, Thank God!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Gary
Let me know how that ammo shoots?
I'll be up at Fon-Du-Lac Wisc This weekend at the gun show.
Steve

�Can we move this along?" a bored voice stated. "I have places to be and people to shag."

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Boltman, do you own any Savages or do you just enjoy our company?

24 hour sarcastic S.O.B.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Come on Joe - you know I have Savages here. But, what does set me apart from some here is I haven't bought one in a while.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
smile
And, like some but unlike others here, my interests extend beyond Savages eek But, yes, I do enjoy the company here and I spend very little time on other gunboards.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Love the fruitwoods.

I knew you had Savages, I was just yankin your chain.

Your Perris Special is only one of three I've got data on, now I just gotta find the other 27 of them.

24 hour sarcastic S.O.B.
IC B3

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Joe -
I sure would like to know more about those other 27 Perris Specials too. I have only heard of three and one is with me. And, for those who want to know - no, I haven't hunted it crazy I do tend to stray off topic - but it's not like I'm collecting coins or stamps here either!

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by boltman
Gary - nice rifle! As far as taking it hunting, I sure wouldn't. No, not the usual debate about whether to take nice rifles in the woods. I wouldn't hunt it because for me, a cresent butt rifle has about the worst handling and pointability of any rifle out there. However, between Savage, Winchesters, Marlins and others, I have a goodly number of rifles with cresent butts. Lucky I am a collector wink

I have a cresent opn my .50 cal Lyman plains rifle and yes if you don't seat it right on thr shoulder your in for a world of hurt. I never have that problem since when I swing it up it just naturaly goes where it's supposed to.

Every immigrant who comes here should be required within five years to learn English or leave the country.
Theodore Roosevelt

Dean
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I'm new to the forum but I've been using 1899s in 303 savage for a good while. I think you'll find that your B in 303 will work just fine. I load 170 gr. Hornadys at about 2,000 fps in the two model B's and the model C in 303 that I hunt with for mule deer here in Montana (all cresent butt). They work great.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
MW406,

Welcome to the asylum! So how many Savages do you have? what did you pay for them? what are they? are any for sale?

Just Kidding. Welcome!!!

"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed-unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." James Madison
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Thanks for the welcome. To answer your questions; a few; probably too much?; B's, C's, perch belly 250-3000s, E's a couple of H's and the one that started it all, my granddads G Deluxe; I hunt with a few, collect some and purchased others for resale but I just can't seem to let 'em go, go figure.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Go Figure....???

Join the crowd... smile

Mike...

All said, the Savage 99 is a genius of a rifle. Although no longer produced, it remains highly revered, as it was the foundation from which Arthur Savage built one of America's great gun companies. >> (Jon Y. Wolfe) <<
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Hey Mike I'd say MW406 has a runnin' start. He's already hooked too.

MW you've joined an enablers organization here. If you can post some pics of your best, Rick99 will add 100 to your post total. Actually he won't. But we'd still like to see pic's.

"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed-unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." James Madison
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

73 members (7mm_Loco, 338Rules, 6MMWASP, 10gaugemag, 10 invisible), 1,426 guests, and 776 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,082
Posts18,501,658
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.