Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I see a couple post about the bone saw.. Well,,,, Let me tell you, the best bone saw I ever used was a pruning saw.. Mine is a folder, plastic handle, some dura coat of some type on the blade, saw so fast I can smell it...
And those gut hooks... I guess I do not know how to use them, it is faster to make a small cut, and run my finger next to the blade,, like a zipper...

Favorite Knife,,,, A PH1 Schrade, re contoured the cutting edge to a sharper angle, couple swipes on a stone, done.. Couple swipes to the hone, razor...

I wish I had two of those darn things.. My Cold steal,, well to darn thick and wide.. Got a buck, not bad, not great..

I have been looking for something close to the shape of the PH1, but with some sharper curves. Looking at PETE E, knife me thinks that would be a sweety.Linder in 440C steel...

Later..

Last edited by Mauserkid; 01/19/09.
GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
If you want to be different and have a custom made knife at low price, (40-50 bucks), go to EBay and type in custom knife Ken Richardson. You will see a bunch of really nice knives to choose from, stag horn, tusk, turquoise, you name it. There will be a picture of Ken standing outside his shop in Alaska (good'ol boy). I have several and they work great ! Boys at the hunting camp ask where I get them and I lie like h*&^ !

Tacksmacker

RIDE HARD, SHOOT STRAIGHT, AND DON'T LIE !!

Trying to get to the point in life where all I need is
BEER.....BEANS...and...AMMO
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I don't think that there is any medium game animal that you can't handle pretty well with a $5 Victorinox serrated paring knife and a $20 Sagan Saw. I carry a pocket knife on a lanyard, but my fixed blade knive and Sagan Saw are carried in a day pack.

Jeff

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
And sometimes you don't even need the saw.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Youper
I use and like the Marble Plainsman with the leather stack handle. It isn't the only answer, but it works for me. A little searching and you can find it.

You beat me to it, Youp. Mine is exactly like yours (but probably sharper). [Linked Image]

My next favorite is my Buck Vanguard.

-

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
I often use quick reply. My posts are not directed toward any specific person unless I mention them by name.
IC B2

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
For gutting, I don't need to split the pelvis or rip the ribs open. Just me.

I use a Havels Piranta with 3 inch replaceable blades. No need to carry a stone etc.. new blades are easy, they are SHARP too.

I carry plastic handle in orange so its not lost.

I use a saw if needed later on the ribs, and I generally just dejoint everything but the ribs, and if no saw I dejoint them too. Doesn't take more than a 30 seconds for each leg and maybe a minute to take each hip joint apart. Head comes off easy etc...

Jeff

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I use a Puma Duke, I bought it back in 1970. Its the only job it dose is field dress big game that I shoot. I have used a Puma Hunters Pal, but it grew legs one day. Before I got the Duke, I use to use a 4 inch Rapella trout knife. It works very well and easy to keep sharp, and its not a bad boning knife either. I been looking at a Wyoming Knife of late, I like the idea of just replacing a blade when dull. Never used one so I don't know if they are worth the trouble. And Alaskan Ulu I use one out in Bethel some years back, never did buy one of my own for some odd reason.

"Any idiot can face a crisis,it's the day-to-day living that wears you out."

Anton Chekhov

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I carry an old Western with knife and saw blade. No problems for 31 years.

stumpy

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I'm with Rost! For these little Texas deer I don't even like to gut them! You can remove the quarters without ever opening the body cavity. If you're real careful, you can remove the tenderloins from outside as well without making a mess. Pretty much everything can be de-jointed if you just take your time!

Whoops! Forgot to add my knives..

Knives of Alaska Cub Bear
Buck Caper (same profile as KOA)
Gerber Gator
Gerber exchange blade
Rapala 6" filet knife

Last edited by Pyledriver; 01/25/09. Reason: forgot to add knives!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I don't think that there is any medium game animal that you can't handle pretty well with a $5 Victorinox serrated paring knife

Mostly I agree, but my hands are so large I find Victorinox boning knives better. My favorite is a five inch Russel carbon steel boning knife. It has a wood handle that is just right for me and holds a good edge and easy to sharpen. miles

boning knife

Last edited by milespatton; 01/25/09. Reason: add link

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by rost495
For gutting, I don't need to split the pelvis or rip the ribs open. Just me.

I use a Havels Piranta with 3 inch replaceable blades. No need to carry a stone etc.. new blades are easy, they are SHARP too.

I carry plastic handle in orange so its not lost.

I use a saw if needed later on the ribs, and I generally just dejoint everything but the ribs, and if no saw I dejoint them too. Doesn't take more than a 30 seconds for each leg and maybe a minute to take each hip joint apart. Head comes off easy etc...

Jeff

+1. This year I took apart three elk with my Piranta and its replaceable blades. Just don't put a lot of lateral stress on the blade (they do break) and one blade will quarter, bone, and cape an entire elk. Probably the best piece of gear I have added in the past four years.

My name is Randy Newberg and I approved this post. What is written is my opinion, and my opinion only.

"Hunt when you can. You're gonna run out of health before you run out of money."
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I've used a Remmington 4" rubber handled two blade for about ten years. One blade is half smooth & half serrated the other blade is a gut hook with a saw blade. I find that I REALLY like the gut hook as it can be used on a LOT more than just the guts. The serrated half goes through brisket just dandy & makes field dressing much easier than a regular flat blade. No need to carry anything else.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Being a total knife freak I own a bunch and like a high quality blade. But truth be told there no better for gutting a deer than a 29 dollar buck. But that being said the knife I had on my hip this year was a Treeman with a stag handle and a 3 3/4 inch blade. No need to go any bigger for WT deer IMO.

Here is what it looks like
[Linked Image]

But Im a HUGE fan of these guys too, its a father and son who make super high quality stuff.
http://www.rjhandcraftedknives.com/

If you have never gutted a deer go smaller than bigger on size, this includes the handle not just the blade. A Marbles Fieldcraft that is just over 7 1/2 inch OAL is another perfect knife that will last a life time with proper care.

Just start killin deer and try diferent knives, its nothin but fun!

It�s a magazine not a clip......

Advice is seldom welcome, and those who need it the most, like it the least.�
- Lord Chesterfield. 1750
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
The old Schrade PH1 was one of the best hunting knives ever sold. I bought mine for $20 at WalMart on closeout. It has been on every hunt I have done in the past 15 years. Sharp,rugged and handy. A great knife.
I'm a knife collector and have probably 300 custom knives I could choose from. The PH1 is a Loveless authorized copy and they did it right. It's the one I always carry.
For a folder, the Queen "Mountain Man" in 1095 is the pick of the litter.

Anything Worth Doing Is Worth Overdoing
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Most any knife will do the job I use a single edged razor blade myself

Last edited by SingleShotShorty; 01/27/09.

[Linked Image]
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
For 33 years a Buck 110 has worked just fine.
[Linked Image]

You learn something new everyday whether you want to or not.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by drducati
The old Schrade PH1 was one of the best hunting knives ever sold. I bought mine for $20 at WalMart on closeout. It has been on every hunt I have done in the past 15 years. Sharp,rugged and handy. A great knife.
I'm a knife collector and have probably 300 custom knives I could choose from. The PH1 is a Loveless authorized copy and they did it right. It's the one I always carry.

Would love to see a pic of that..What type of steel do they use? I'm guessing something like a 440A or 440C?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
http://www.jaga.nu/downloads/3.jpg

Link to Schrade PH1

personally I use Victorinox Butchers.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by cmg; 01/28/09. Reason: Link corrected...

Member of the Merry Band of turdlike People.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
rost495 and BigFin; Thanks to your info on the Piranta I just ordered two of them. I've been wanting something of that nature for some time and didn't know someone actually made them. Thanks.

I saw a movie where only the military and the police had guns. It was called Schindler's List.
D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
For deer: a Swiss Army knife, a 3-3.5 in drop point and a saw of some kind. I don't use the saw a lot but I have it.

For elk I add a slightly larger knife 4in or so and a 1 lb hatchet sharpened so I can use it to skin with. The three to
3.5 inch knife tends to become a folder. The Swiss Army knife still gets used a lot.

You asked for some pics and since you have a Kershaw you could stay with that. They make some great AUS-8 Fixed blade knives that sell for next to nothing. Here is a link:

http://www.knifeworks.com/kershawfixblades.aspx

FB for Deer: Antelope Hunter II
FB for Elk: Kershaw Bear Hunter II
FB for Elk if you like a Guthook: Kershaw Elk Hunter II
Hatchet: They only make one and it takes some thinning and sharpening to be good but it has a real steel handle and good steel.
Saw: They make a dandy little 7 in folding saw.

Until this year I used mostly Gerber's. Their headquarters are here.

This year I went for it and bought a couple of Bark River Knives a Bravo 1 and a Mikro Canadian II. With the Bravo-1 I can do without the hatchet pretty easily.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

105 members (1_deuce, 10gaugemag, 300_savage, 2ndwind, 10Glocks, 18 invisible), 1,625 guests, and 977 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,242
Posts18,485,916
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.