Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 10 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10
J
jmj Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Nice deer Bruzer. I agree, you don't have to bait to kill deer. On our lease (12,000 acres) we hunt clearcuts and food plots. If there's a good acorn crop, we hunt the bottoms. We killed some nice ones this year also.[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

The second is a shot from the ground blind just after I shot him. Nice 8, but you can't tell much from the picture. All of these were taken on food plots. Legal baiting.

GB1

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Bruzer
Bill,

I have more than a clue.....I have facts.

You can verify here.....This is where I buy my supplies.

http://www.cooperseeds.com

The cost of producing 20,000lbs of quality forage with a food plot versus the cost of the same 20,000lbs of Corn.

Duranna/Patriot Clover Plot Costs (1 Acre)

4lbs of Duranna $32
4lbs of Patriot $32
100lbs of Winter Wheat $50
100lbs of Buck Forage Oats $50
50 lbs of Austrian Winter Peas $35
300lbs of 10-10-10 $150
Tractor Rental Weekend $300
Total $650

Corn
Feeder $200
20,000lbs of Corn $3,200
Gas for trips to refill feeder all year $600
Total $4,000

Even with renting a tractor for the weekend it's much cheaper than filling up a feeder all year.......Unless of course you only fill up the feeder when you plan on hunting or just prior....Which I believe is probably the case for most baiters.

Robert

Thats not really a fair comparison, NO ONE I know puts 20,000# of corn in one feeder each year. Perhaps you missed the average of 1800# per yr per feeder I mentioned above. We have 6 feeders on the 750 acre ranch we hunt and we don't even feed 20,000# a year with 6 feeders. Also the feeder is a one time cost, you don't "buy" a new feeder every year. I have feeders that are ten years old.

Obviously you were not paying attention when I said a one acre food plot WILL NOT WORK HERE!!! It would stay so grazed down that the deer would get practically no nutrional value from it. I've tried it and seen others try it, maybe in East Texas it might work but the rest of the state has such a high deer density you would need 5 acres per plot for the deer to get any real nutrional value from it. Yes it will still draw them in (bait them) but they will get little nutritional value froma plot that small here.

Another very important cost with food plots here is an electric fence to keep livestock off the plot unless there is one present already. Livestock is present on 99.9% of land in TX. Have you priced fence materials lately? T-post are about $4 a piece. If you have a 1 acre plot, an acre is approx. 200'x 200' or 44,000 sq ft. So figure 40 t-post per acre (one every 20ft) or $160.00 plus wire, times that by five for a five acre plot. Don't forget the fence charger, min of $100-125 for a decent charger.
Granted the fence is a one time cost like a feeder but it still has to be included.

Bill

J
jmj Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I've got a feeder I run from August until April. It spits out 5 pounds in the morning and 5 pounds in the afternoon. That figures about 300 pounds per month. At 16 bucks for 100 pounds (that's what I pay) that's 48 bucks. You figure feeding 8 months thats 384 dollars. I think Bruzer is trying to compare how much corn you would have to feed to equal the nutritional value of a one acre food plot. It's really apples to oranges. Alot of folks can't afford, don't have the means, ect to put in a food plot, but could afford 50 bucks a month. At least the deer would have something to munch on. A little corn is better than nothing, and nothing is the case for alot of folks around here. I have nothing agaist food plots, but neither do I have anything agaist feeders. I consider them both baiting. I am considering some type of year round feeding this year since our little place seems to have an abundance of young bucks this year...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Oh I've been paying attention.....Especially to your last 2 posts....... As you've proven my point.

The 2 mind sets......

1) Corn Baiters - Put out just enough Corn to keep the deer on a pattern for shooting when the season is in and not concern yourself with helping the herd at all because it's just too darn_________ (insert Hard,Expensive etc...)

2) Hunters - Invest/Add value to the existing native browse with supplemental fertilizing. Plant perennial food plots which will provide a high protein food source to sustain the wildlife (not just the deer) through the tough months.

No matter how you slice it.....Food Plots and Baiting ARE NOT the same. I take 4-5 deer per year but I am supporting a herd of deer and other wildlife with my property management. Although Food Plots and Baiting have 1 thing in common.......Holding Deer....That's where the similarities end.

Bruz

Bruz
"You can't scare me.........I have kids"

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Hey Bruzer, re: your figure of 20,000 lbs of forage per acre. Is that 20,000 lb of DRY MATTER or 20,000 lb. AS FED?

20,000 lb of wet clover equals about 2500- 3,000 lb of dry matter (hay). 20,000 lb of corn equals about 18,000 lb of dry matter. And dry matter is what you have to figure when you're calculating feed intake. Water don't count.

Here in Pa, average yield for alfalfa is about 5 tons per acre on a DM basis. I know your growing season is longer than ours but doubling our production seems like a stretch. Plus your summers are hotter, I'm sure you have a summer slump when nothing grows well.

Dale

This space for rent

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Dale,

I got the yield numbers for the University of Georgia study on Duranna Clover production. The dry yield is 4,000lbs in year one and then reaching 4-5 Tons per acre based on the report I read. The 10 tons was not "dry weight" as clover is eaten directly from field stand that is the number I was told to use by Dr. Kent Kammermeyer.

I will try to find the article and post a link.

Here are a few shots of our plots in the 2nd year. Each plot averages about 1/2 acre in size (converted loading decks on a pine plantation). As you can see the first Summer the Clover was spotty and we believed that we had wasted our efforts....By the second cutting in October it was thickening up well and we applied 0-19-19.

Summer Pics

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

October Pics

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Hunting Pic.....Trying to get my nephew his first deer.

[img]http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g114/Bruz69/IMG_1178.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g114/Bruz69/DSC_0014-8.jpg[/img]

Robert

Bruz

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Bruz

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Bruzer, I plant food plots (about 40 acres total) and I use corn feeders, so what does that make me a hunter or a shooter? Often times I don't hunt on either but hunt draws and passage areas, so what does that make me?

Bill

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by tx270
Bruzer, I plant food plots (about 40 acres total) and I use corn feeders, so what does that make me a hunter or a shooter? Often times I don't hunt on either but hunt draws and passage areas, so what does that make me?

Bill

Bill,

If someone is hunting around a Corn feeder then they are a baiter in my opinion. In Georgia the definition is a limit of 200 yards and out of sight. In Alabama it is defined as bait anywhere on the property.

You know how you hunt....I don't. I'll leave that determination up to you. I'm not trying to judge anyone who is taking game legally....My issue is with the terminology.

I have just been issued a Hog Permit for one of my farms. This permit allows me to bait the Hogs,Hunt at night, From a vehicle and use a 12 volt light. The farmer needs Hogs removed so that his peanuts and Corn have a chance to survive. I will not claim to have hunted these Hogs......I am strictly population control. I will eat the meat but you won't see one going on my wall....The bait just makes it too easy....In my opinion.

Of course the "Bow Only" hunters will say rifles make it too easy and then the "Traditional Archery" hunters will say that "Machine Bows" make it too easy....and so on and so on.

To each their own....Whatever makes everyone happy as long as it's legal. Just don't shoot an animal over a pile of Corn and call it a trophy.....I don't get that.

Robert

Bruz

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
BTW Bruzer nice plots in the pics above.

Obviously we will have to agree to disagree.

I don't see how hunting over a fertilized food plot that put there for the main purpose to attract deer is any different "BAITING" than using corn. And don't give me the nutritional thing excuse, if that was your main purpose then you wouldn't have a nice cozy box stand sitting right on top of it to shoot (not hunt) deer out of.

To state in an earlier post that your a "hunter" because you shoot deer off a food plot put there to attract deer and someone who does the exact same thing but with corn is a "shooter" is one of the most hypocritical things I've heard. That has nothing to do with the nutrition factor, BOTH of the above persons are actually "shooters", they are just using different bait.

Planting food plots here is much different here than in Georgia, much more labor intensive than what you have to do, trust me. If you ever came here and tried it you would understand what I mean and I'm sure your attitude would change slightly. It's very easy to sit in your personal locale and say "oh its not that hard here, so it must be like that in the rest of the country". I can do it because I own my own tractors, plows, grain drills etc. But the average Joe living in the big city working 50 hrs a week and a house full of kids, etc., etc. it just isn't quite that easy.

To end this, believe it or not, I'm not actually a big fan of corn feeders, but if a person stands a chance of holding deer on his property here he better have one or two because every other swingin' joe within the area will have several. Not saying thats right or wrong that's just the way it is.

Good luck to ya',

Bill

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I don't see how hunting over a fertilized food plot that put there for the main purpose to attract deer is any different "BAITING" than using corn.

It can be alot different, especially for a bow hunter. One trick is to put the bait on the ground behind a stump so the deer can't see you get in position. With bait you can do a lot to set up a shot that can't be done with a food plot.

Brushbuster: "Is this thread about the dear heard or there Jeans?"
Plugger: "If you cant be safe at strip club in Detroit at 2am is anywhere safe?"
Deer are somewhere all the time
To report a post you disagree with, please push Alt + F4. Thank You.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Youper
I don't see how hunting over a fertilized food plot that put there for the main purpose to attract deer is any different "BAITING" than using corn.

It can be alot different, especially for a bow hunter. One trick is to put the bait on the ground behind a stump so the deer can't see you get in position. With bait you can do a lot to set up a shot that can't be done with a food plot.

I don't bow hunt. But I can see your point. With a firearm it is no different though.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
BTW Bruzer nice plots in the pics above.

Obviously we will have to agree to disagree.

I don't see how hunting over a fertilized food plot that put there for the main purpose to attract deer is any different "BAITING" than using corn. And don't give me the nutritional thing excuse, if that was your main purpose then you wouldn't have a nice cozy box stand sitting right on top of it to shoot (not hunt) deer out of.

To state in an earlier post that your a "hunter" because you shoot deer off a food plot put there to attract deer and someone who does the exact same thing but with corn is a "shooter" is one of the most hypocritical things I've heard. That has nothing to do with the nutrition factor, BOTH of the above persons are actually "shooters", they are just using different bait.

Planting food plots here is much different here than in Georgia, much more labor intensive than what you have to do, trust me. If you ever came here and tried it you would understand what I mean and I'm sure your attitude would change slightly. It's very easy to sit in your personal locale and say "oh its not that hard here, so it must be like that in the rest of the country". I can do it because I own my own tractors, plows, grain drills etc. But the average Joe living in the big city working 50 hrs a week and a house full of kids, etc., etc. it just isn't quite that easy.

To end this, believe it or not, I'm not actually a big fan of corn feeders, but if a person stands a chance of holding deer on his property here he better have one or two because every other swingin' joe within the area will have several. Not saying thats right or wrong that's just the way it is.

Good luck to ya',

Bill

Bill,

To be precise that stand is a 2 man tri-pod. The primary purpose of the stand is to give young hunters a chance to see some deer. The food plots on this property were placed based on the location of the loading docks. I had this stand here prior to the food plot being installed because when we initially scouted the property we found a huge trail and bedding area on the rifge across from it. The plot gets a lot of use but as with most plots the activity is generally at night.

There were 5 deer killed from that stand last season and none of them were taken by me.....The food plot is off to the left about 160 yards through the woods but what you are actually hunting from this stand is a travel route from a bedding area 140 yards in front of the stand as seen in this pic.

[Linked Image]

The deer come off that ridge and walk down toward the stand and cross behind it into a thicket....Not to the food plot.

In fact this is the only time I've seen deer in the plot in 4 years......and No I didn't shoot them. They were fawns and they ate in the plot for about an hour.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

This year is the closest I ever came to killing a deer in this plot. I took 1 of 3 mature Does that came running out of the bedding area and crossed the road behind me along the edge of the plot.

I also took a buck from this stand on the ridge in front of the stand that chased a Doe from the bedding thicket.

Robert

Last edited by Bruzer; 02/02/09.

Bruz

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Bill,

The cost of producing 20,000lbs of quality forage with a food plot versus the cost of the same 20,000lbs of Corn.

4lbs of Duranna $32
4lbs of Patriot $32
300lbs of 10-10-10 $150
Total $650

Corn
Feeder $200
20,000lbs of Corn $3,200
Total $4,000

Even with renting a tractor for the weekend it's much cheaper than filling up a feeder all year.......Unless of course you only fill up the feeder when you plan on hunting or just prior....Which I believe is probably the case for most baiters.

Robert

You have to tell me where you are getting seed at that price????Up here in Northern Wi. Red Dyno Clover is $13.50 a Lb ,20 lbs per acre,a 50 lb sack of Rye seed is $35.00, Lime 10.50 per 40 Lbs X 2,000lbs an acre you dont even want to know how much Biologic is.We havent even discussed My Tractor$25,000,Fuel, cost of used disk$2,500.00 ,used seed drill $5,000 and I have not even brought up how most seed and fertilizer has doubled in cost since last year.Take a guess at what 2 acres of alfafa cost to plant.Much cheaper to bait.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Funny you should mention that. One of the best ways to hunt a corn feeder here, if you want to kill a mature buck, is too hunt 200-300 yds away from the feeder on a main trail or draw/canyon the deer use going to the feeder. The reason is mature bucks usually avoid permanently placed corn feeders like the plague except at night. Sure young bucks and most does will stroll right up to a feeder, but your big mature deer will hang back well out of sight of the feeder. I have seen this several times and have taken some of my best bucks that way.

Even if their is a hot doe at the feeder I have personally witnessed a buck come out the brush chase her away from the feeder and out of sight of the feeder. He usually running the whole time until he is out of site of the feeder. If he can he will keep her blocked away from ever going to the feeder.

BTW on our place our tripods or stands are placed 130-175 yds away from, but in sight of the feeder. Many of our deer are killed a hundred or more yds away from the feeder, even the complete opposite direction in the stand from where the feeder is. We in fact discourage shooting deer right next to or under the feeder unless it is a kid hunting with us, because it offers them a clear broadside shot at an animal standing still. Less chance of them making a gut shot etc. due to their inexperience and excitement.

So if we kill a deer 200 yds away from the feeder that wasn't even coming directly to the feeder, does that still make us "shooters" because their was a feeder in that general area? Be honest now, how is that any different than you "shooting" a deer that was 160 yds from you "food plot"?

Bill

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Huntz,

If you look at the link I posted you can go online see the prices we pay.

www.coopersseed.com

As far as the tractor we used to rent them with attachments for $300 a weekend or use our 4 wheelers. Now we give a free membership in exchange for doing the tractor work.

[Linked Image]

This is my 4 wheeler set up, 900lb Tuffline Harrows,Electric Spreader and Chain Drag....The one overseeing the operation is my youngest.:)

[Linked Image]

Robert

Last edited by Bruzer; 02/02/09.

Bruz

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Funny you should mention that. One of the best ways to hunt a corn feeder here, if you want to kill a mature buck, is too hunt 200-300 yds away from the feeder on a main trail or draw/canyon the deer use going to the feeder. The reason is mature bucks usually avoid permanently placed corn feeders like the plague except at night. Sure young bucks and most does will stroll right up to a feeder, but your big mature deer will hang back well out of sight of the feeder. I have seen this several times and have taken some of my best bucks that way.

Even if their is a hot doe at the feeder I have personally witnessed a buck come out the brush chase her away from the feeder and out of sight of the feeder. He usually running the whole time until he is out of site of the feeder. If he can he will keep her blocked away from ever going to the feeder.

BTW on our place our tripods or stands are placed 130-175 yds away from, but in sight of the feeder. Many of our deer are killed a hundred or more yds away from the feeder, even the complete opposite direction in the stand from where the feeder is. We in fact discourage shooting deer right next to or under the feeder unless it is a kid hunting with us, because it offers them a clear broadside shot at an animal standing still. Less chance of them making a gut shot etc. due to their inexperience and excitement.

So if we kill a deer 200 yds away from the feeder that wasn't even coming directly to the feeder, does that still make us "shooters" because their was a feeder in that general area? Be honest now, how is that any different than you "shooting" a deer that was 160 yds from you "food plot"?

Bill

Bill,

We will have to agree to disagree. As I've said several times....I don't have a problem with someone shooting near bait as long as it's legal...It's just not for me.

Robert

Bruz

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Huntz,

If you look at the link I posted you can go online see the prices we pay.

www.coopersseed.com

As far as the tractor we used to rent them with attachments for $300 a weekend or use our 4 wheelers. Now we give a free membership in exchange for doing the tractor work.

[Linked Image]

This is my 4 wheeler set up, 900lb Tuffline Harrows,Electric Spreader and Chain Drag....The one overseeing the operation is my youngest.:)

[Linked Image]

Robert

Bruzer,that does not lead to a site ??????? Huntz

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Huntz,

Sorry....Here's the link.

www.cooperseeds.com

This one should work.

Robert

Bruz

H
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
H
Originally Posted by Huntz
Bill,

4lbs of Duranna $32
4lbs of Patriot $32
300lbs of 10-10-10 $150
Total $650

Corn
Feeder $200
20,000lbs of Corn $3,200
Total $4,000

Robert

You have to tell me where you are getting seed at that price????Up here in Northern Wi. Red Dyno Clover is $13.50 a Lb ,20 lbs per acre,a 50 lb sack of Rye seed is $35.00, Lime 10.50 per 40 Lbs X 2,000lbs an acre you dont even want to know how much Biologic is.We havent even discussed My Tractor$25,000,Fuel, cost of used disk$2,500.00 ,used seed drill $5,000 and I have not even brought up how most seed and fertilizer has doubled in cost since last year.Take a guess at what 2 acres of alfafa cost to plant.Much cheaper to bait.

Yep, and its no different than hunting a field. whistle

For that coin I'd go dumptruck of apples....you could keep them in a tidy acre with sore bellies for most of the season.

Page 7 of 10 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

549 members (1234, 219 Wasp, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 1lessdog, 160user, 52 invisible), 14,817 guests, and 1,052 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,174
Posts18,543,074
Members74,058
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.