Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 2muchgun
Always thought the price of liberty was eternal vigilance. �

Ever hear of the technique called "a play on words?"

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by biglmbass

Speaking of books...
I hate I never got around to buying Rick's coyote calling book back when the getting was good. They are darn hard to find now, and are never cheap when they do turn up.

Was this specifically a coyote calling book?

The one I'm referring to is Calling Coyotes And Other Predators.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I really enjoyed his hit, "Superfreak". Didn't know he was a coyote hunter.

Now with even more aplomb
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by JPro

laugh

The only thing wrong with the 270....Its not a 25-06.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by JPro

If you liked Superfreak, you'll really love Below The Funk (Pass The J) and So Soft So Wet. Great tunes, but they never really hit big.

IC B2

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I kinda feel sorry for RJ.He always struck me through his writings as a man who enjoyed the research side of riflery(if that's a word) Sure he got paid,but look at the personal price he paid he KNEW he would never write another article knew he would never be welcomed at ANY firearms maker kinda sad.

Bangflop! another skinning job due to .260 and proper shot placement.
KDK Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yeah, I feel sorry for a guy who now has to just sit at home and shoot all day, and not worry about pleasing his editor. I bet counting all the royalties off the WSMs, SAUMs, and RCMs sold is a drag, too.

Originally Posted by ingwe
This is a shooting forum, there is no place here for logic.
S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S

So your jealous !!! LOL...

Give the guy a break, he made some money so he's a bad guy.

what baloney.

He seemed like a good guy, I never met him, but I think it would be interesting to meet him.

Spot

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I don't think the beef with Rick is the money but how and why.

Me

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by teal
I don't think the beef with Rick is the money but how and why.

Yup.

He took someone else's idea (it was called the He-Mag or something along those lines),tried to sell it,he himself got screwed (which is funny),then he threw a tantrum and won an ass load of money in a lawsuit.

And the guy who came up with the idea to start with didn't end up with a dime.He tried to market the line of cartridges back in the early to mid 90's,and nobody was interested.IIRC it was either Layne Simpson or Craig Bottington who did a story on the cartridges,and that's where Jamison came up with the idea to put a patent on them,since the guy trying to sell them hadn't done so yet.

WB.

"You set your own goals for success, and when you succeed it don't necessarily mean that you're going to be a big star or make a lot of money or anything. You'll feel it in your heart whether you've succeeded or not." - Roy Buchanan
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
� or the word paraphrase?

"Good enough" isn't.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I dated a girl in law school who really dug Rick James, but she was a true superfreak, so it fit.

Proudly representing oil companies, defense contractors, and firearms manufacturers since 1980. Because merchants of death need lawyers, too.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm Rick Jamison bitch!

Ron

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
Orwell
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
There are obviously two famous Rick Jamisons.

When I first knew the gun writer Rick Jamison (1978 � ), he was a raggedy-pants neighbor who made his living calling coyotes. He'd been Neal Knox's associate editor at Wolfe Publishing. I answered Neal's ad for a replacement, and when I got there for an interview, Neal had also left to go to the NRA.

I consider Rick a friend, a good guy whom I wish were still writing for the magazines. I edited his "calling" book and wouldn't mind seeing a few more Rick Jamison books, either.

Never knew that there was also a guitarist-song-writer with that name.

"Good enough" isn't.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Ken, the singers name is Rick James. Close but no cigar.

Dale

This space for rent

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Dale K

http://www.rjamison.com

"Good enough" isn't.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I kept some of the 1990s ST mags because of the writing of Mr. Jamison. He is a true technical expert as well as a very good and interesting writer. His article on the Marlin 1895 in 45-70 was what finally got me into the caliber. I greatly miss his writing.

I have some of the STs from the mid 90s or so that clearly indicate he was the guy who dreamed up the short mag based on the 404 concept.

"Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right."
Henry Ford

If it's tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by taz4570
I have some of the STs from the mid 90s or so that clearly indicate he was the guy who dreamed up the short mag based on the 404 concept.

Here we go again.......

WB.

"You set your own goals for success, and when you succeed it don't necessarily mean that you're going to be a big star or make a lot of money or anything. You'll feel it in your heart whether you've succeeded or not." - Roy Buchanan
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by Ken Howell
Originally Posted by Dale K

http://www.rjamison.com

I didn't know about that guy, I was going with the 'Superfreak' song mentioned near the top of the page.

Dale

This space for rent

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Biglmbass,

I hate I never got around to buying Rick's coyote calling book back when the getting was good. They are darn hard to find now, and are never cheap when they do turn up.

That was a great book. Many years ago as a young man at ASU I would frequently talk hunting w/ a fellow student in my German 101 class. I didn't know anything about hunting but I was catching the "bug", so to speak. Anyway, he'd tell me these incredible stories of calling coyotes. He had me stoked. He loaned me a book, which happened to be the one you referenced. After reading that book I was determined to bag a coyote. I could no longer focus on my studies; I'd find myself ditching classes to read the Field and Stream magazines in the Noble Science library. My friends and I tried unsuccessfully for weeks to call one in. Finally, the day after Thanksgiving I went out alone to the desert east of Mesa, sat under a mesquite and began blowing yet again on my Lohman rabbit distress call. This time the outcome was different - a coyote came trotting right in. I dropped him at 15 yards with my Mossberg 500 loaded with Remington Express Magnums, #2 shot. I'll never forget that feeling of elation driving home with that dead coyote in the back of my pickup. Other than 2 quail and a few doves, it was the first animal I had ever taken. Anyway, I took the coyote home, hung it from the mulberry tree in our backyard and, using Rick's book as a page-by-page instruction, proceeded to skin that coyote while my parents watched through the kitchen window. I remember throwing the skinned carcass in a Circle K dumpster in the middle of the night. I remember even more strongly the irremovable smell of coyote urine on my Buck folding hunter (and probably on the book I was holding and reading while skinning that dog). But, what I remember most was the feeling of pride in what I'd accomplished. I'd done it all on my own with only the help of Rick Jamison's book. Now, 20+ years later I find myself looking for that particular book when I browse through a used book store.

I do wish I could apologize to the friend who loaned it to me. No doubt it smelled of coyote urine and had blood stains on the pages when I returned it to him.

Still haven't found my own copy.

Rich

Last edited by Armen; 02/02/09.
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

140 members (35, arky65, 240NMC, 10Glocks, afisher, 11 invisible), 1,508 guests, and 817 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,503
Posts18,490,603
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.