-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Absolutely. There are multiple potential benefits. Service to your country. Learning skills and trades while they are in the service. Great education benefits while serving and after. Retirement benefits at a young age if you opt to stay in for at least 20 years. All this is available to a young person that is willing to apply themself.

Expat

"There are no dangerous weapons. There are only dangerous men." - Robert Heinlein
GB1

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
+1 Mike. I joined the Navy and never regretted it. While I did not retire I spent a tad over 10 years in. I knew I wanted to learn a trade and ended up picking electronics. In hind sight that was the best decision I have ever made in my life. I would encourage them to research diligently what they want to do and then pick the branch that will allow them to do that.

Jim
Honorably Discharged Veteran 1987-1998
[Linked Image]
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by oklahunter
If the kid is bright and not paired up with some nice girl, then I'd start with the AF recruiter. The technical training is excellent and often translates very well to the civilian world. The facilities are built of concrete, have a/c and decent chow.

There are more single women in the Air Force than you'll see in the Army or Marines. This is a factor which is often of interest to a bright young man.

If the young man wants to do his part in combat arms, well, it's hard to fault the Marines. I'd agree that much of the new Army is softer but the combat arms units are a different world from the rest of the Army and plenty hard enough for anyone.

As for risks, the Army loses far more Soldiers to privately owned vehicle accidents each year than they do in Iraq and Afghanistan combined. Admittedly, it is quite a bit more dangerous at the tip of the spear, not so much at the shaft.

Look at what the recruiter can offer based on the young man's asvab scores. Some of the signing bonuses are pretty darned extraordinary.

Spot on.

"There are no dangerous weapons. There are only dangerous men." - Robert Heinlein
R
RJD Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Teach them how to be a real Patriot. Have them join the Michigan Malitia or the Montana Malitia. I wish I had,I would be prepared for next Revolution.

Everytime history repeats itself it gets more expensive.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
- Join the AF
- Pre qualify as an Arabic linguist
- After their 4 year hitch, sign on with a DOD contractor and they'll never need to worry about employment as long as they live(or as long as we support Israel)

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by teal
Originally Posted by jorgeI
the Marines is the only way to go if he actually wants to be part of an armed force and a warrior ethic. jorge

I respectfully disagree. Seen too many Marines that definitely do NOT fit that mold and too many sailors that do. Depends on the individual man and what he pushes himself to be.

I met/served and trained with some guys from the Teams that would take serious exception to you idea that a warrior ethos is lacking in the Navy - again - depends on the man and how he pushes himself. As a certain BM1 (SEAL) explained to me - "Why be a Volkswagen when you can be a Ferrari"

Noted. The SEALs are an exception (just like to every rule) as are some Marines. But the Navy today is becoming more and more of a "corporate entity" where business practices rule the roost, discipline is looked down upon to name but a few. Even the SEALS are under attack. There are many in the higher echelons of the Navy that want the SEALS to be more "open" to change (RED: Lower standards so they can get more people in). It's a whole different world today. jorge

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
i built time in the military. i did very well, stripes wise.

in this day and age, don't join. Ever. that's my opinion, what's yours?

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
There are AFSC's in the Air Force that make the average Marine look tame and others that resemble country club living. The nice thing about the Air Force, besides getting stationed on the best bases worldwide, is that if you are there to learn a skill, you will spend more time on that skill versus the Army or Marines. The latter consider you a soldier first and a XXXXX second.

I have to say though, last Thursday I flew to Atlanta with a dozen of the 101st who were enroute to Afghanistan. It saddens me to see good young men, some of whom may not come back, serving a CIC that has zero respect for them. Further it saddens me to see 11 of the 12 young men, a demographic that Obama could care less about sending into harms way.

There has been a disparity of too may white boys dying for this country the last 8 years, greatly exceeding their representation of the total population. That's fine when you are serving a man that respects you. But I think it's time Barry's boys start pulling their weight in defending this country. He may actually give a shyt if that is the case.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Here's some good info on what branches are offering as bonuses.

http://www.military.com/recruiting/bonus-center/

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by jds44
Originally Posted by Kamerad_Les
Nothing wrong with Marines, I have to say, I think they will do a better job with a young man now compared to the Army. I'm not impressed with too many of the young soldiers I have met lately. They are getting soft. Les

[Linked Image]

That picture is unfortunate..and unfortunately probably real. That said, that fat boy is not an infantryman, Cav Scout, Artilleryman, or combat engineer. However, 73% of the Army's support troops (logistics, personnel, etc.) exist in the Reserve component and if you haven't heard the news, the Army is stressed. If the "Big A" has a string on you, it is going to be pulled and you are going to do your time in the "box" regardless of whether you are fat or skinny. The Army is definitely permitting people to join and re-enlist that they normally would not due to the stress on the force. The guy in the picture is probably a good guy and is probably doing a good job and he is definitely serving his country in a time of war in the middle of the world's sphincter. Still, his weight is WAY out of control and despite that he may be serving admirably, when the wars are over and there are the inevitable force cuts, guys like this that have "discriminators" (over weight, can't pass PT test, etc) will be the first to go.

Expat

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Depends on what they want to do. Navy has the best training. USAF has the best quality of life, but slow promotions. Coast Guard is probably a cross between the USAF & USN. I'm biased towards the AF- my 21st anniversary is coming up in a few weeks.

Who is John Galt?
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Doesn't the Army enforce an obesity restriction? That boy would have been kicked out of the Air Force already.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Foxbat
The nice thing about the Air Force, besides getting stationed on the best bases worldwide, is that if you are there to learn a skill, you will spend more time on that skill versus the Army or Marines. The latter consider you a soldier first and a XXXXX second.

True.

AF is basically a 8-4 job. I will say not all AF duty assignments are great. In my 6 years in the AF, I was stationed at an Army base the entire time and my only TDY was on a friggin boat staring at NK.

Go for a technical job because they provide many opportunities with defense contractors when/if they get out.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by jorgeI
I just retired with 30 years, 28 in the USN. I would NEVER recommend the Navy to anyone today.

I've been recommending the Navy to my youngest stepson for a couple of years, now. Hell, I've even encourage the recruiters to lie to him about how great it is - you know, in an indirect way. And they have. He just won't budge.

Warrior ethic be damned. I don't care if he's bored in the service. I just want him out of my checkbook. smile

- Tom

R
RJD Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
After looking at that big fella,I'm thinking I might have a chance of joining up and killing a few towel heads before Obooba pulls our troops out of combat. What line do I need to stand in to get my 4xl skivies.

Everytime history repeats itself it gets more expensive.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Depends on the individual man and what he pushes himself to be.

Well said, and applies to much in life.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I with you on that bro! Mine's done an early enlistment in the USMC, but I'm afraid he won't live long enough to get to boot camp. No crap, I don't think Afghanistan is nearly as dangerous as the streets of the USA for some kids. Just my opinion, but I know my kid.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Foxbat
Doesn't the Army enforce an obesity restriction? That boy would have been kicked out of the Air Force already.

I don't know about that. i spent 3 years on osan Air Base and saw some folks that could have been his sisters and brothers.

Expat

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by tjm10025

I've been recommending the Navy to my youngest stepson for a couple of years, now. Hell, I've even encourage the recruiters to lie to him about how great it is - you know, in an indirect way. And they have. He just won't budge.

Warrior ethic be damned. I don't care if he's bored in the service. I just want him out of my checkbook. smile

- Tom

lolol

I went in(enlisted AF) while I was in college because I was a lost idiot and I knew I needed some direction.

Did absolute wonders for me.

G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
that mf'ing godless military-industrial complex that supported that dirty little war in SE Asia is apparently still alive.

i don't have a problem killin' the enemy as needed, but encouraging young (weak) American males to join the military is just, well, Un-American.

put that in your pipe and smoke it. sick

Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

587 members (12344mag, 1234, 160user, 10ring1, 10gaugeman, 163bc, 58 invisible), 2,173 guests, and 1,103 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,560
Posts18,531,582
Members74,039
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.