-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Have to agree on the joint serving with Pugs. I was Navy, after basic I went to an Army installation, then an Air Force one and final duty station was Air Force. I served purple my whole time.

I will say this - given that experience, the Navy and USMC does put a lot of responsibility into younger enlisted's hands much quicker. Were I looking to shape someone up - give them responsibility and make them accountable.

We aren't as top heavy as the other branches. Had a Marine O-3 tell me once that the Army has more Captains than the Marines has officers. From the numbers I saw - I would believe it.

WyoJoe - I went thru basic with Elmo Zumwalt's great grand nephew - talk about pressure - every hunk of brass visited out area to talk to the kid about his family.

Me

GB1

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I haven't been able to read the entire thread but I just wanted to say that the USMC or Coast Guard would be a fine choice. But I wouldn't push the kid one way or the other. If he feels the need to achieve the title of Marine I would let him.

The OP is right about locking in the MOS.

Travis

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
To encourage any person to consider serving his country, avoid any of Bristoe's posts.....you sit tight B, our military will take care of you.

Volunteer means they can opt out whenever they wish. However, I imagine the next 4 years will be easier for GI's.

All American

All the time
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I thought about this thread a lot last night. (Having a son that is leaving for San Diego in a couple of months will do that to you.) There have been a lot of mature, educated opinions posted here. The problem is that 18 year olds don't tend to think that way. Lots of them just want to leave home and "hunt Hadji". Considering the USMC at this time in history is fairly indicative of that attitude.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by ADK4Rick
my nieghbors son is thinking of joining the military after he graduates in June.
Good for him..
,he also was stationed in So. Cali where they grow Bikini's.
Hmm, weather must have changed since I was there.. I froze my azz off the entire time I was there. 60s daytime, 40s nights, with fog so dense you couldn't see past your nose.. Even got an inch of snow on the deck of the Redfish one February day in '68.. But I digress...

any constructive thoughts on this subject?
Yep.. Go NAVY.. A military career can be a-ok, and remember that P-BO's time is limited to a maximum of 8 years (unless they ram through the legislation that makes him 'KING'..) At least it's gainfull employment with no layoffs.. In today's economic picture, that's worth a ton..

If he doesn't mind being enclosed, check out submarines.. Just one comment from an experienced ex-sailor.. Find the smallest boat/ship to serve on.. The smaller they are, the more relaxed the rules are.. Worst duty is on a carrier..

FWIW..

But in any case, my very best wishes to the young person..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
IC B2

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by Stan V
To encourage any person to consider serving his country, avoid any of Bristoe's posts

Translation:

Don't allow them to make an informed decision.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I served in the Army Field Artillery and it was definitely a good decision. I am glad that I served my country. Beyond that I learned a great deal, grew some, and had the opportunity to do many things that I would otherwise never have done.

Yes, there is risk associated with the military, including getting killed or injured. Outside of the combat arms (infantry in particular), that risk falls dramatically. And there is also the risk that the skills one learns are not applicable to the civilian world. (Hunting down and killing somebody is not in such great demand in the civilian world.)

If those risks are concerns, go into one of the support branches and learn a good trade or skill. The military will train the service member in a lifetime employable skill, provide years of experience, and pay a salary as well.

One also learns how to work in a large organization and deal with co-workers. Schools don't teach these skills.

Certainly, it is not for everyone. Particularly those who are not going to handle the socialization of working in groups of people well. But for most, it is a worthwhile experience.

Chuck

AFP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yes.

I'd say to get a 4 yr degree, get a comission, and join the USAF. Yes, there is PC and BS, but I experienced a LOT less PC and BS in the USAF than I have in the corporate world. Further, at least with my fellow aviators--officer and enlisted and from ALL the services--there are almost no deadbeats. I can't say that about the coporate wrold........................

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Bristoe, your articles are inaccurate, unapplicable, and irrelevant as is your opinion.

Advice I can give to this young man: choose the USMC or USCG and know what job or field you want before you talk to a recruiter. Ensure that the recruiter understands that you won't sign a dang thing until you get exactly what you want on the contract. If the recruiter tells you that there are no open slots for what you want, tell him you'll wait until he has something for your.

If you're looking for the "mama, chevy, and apple pie American tradition," stick with the Marine Corps or Coast Guard. It seems that as time continues, some of the other branches have lost their reverence for tradition and preservation of identity (Army) or have never been able to develop an identity in the first place (Air Force). Both the Corps and the Coast Guard have tough boot camps that will make this young man earn his place, nothing of which is more satisfying. The Marine Corps and the Coast Guard have not forgotten themselves, and therefore have not lost sight of what is important in a fighting force and their communities are still small enough that the left hand can still see what the right hand is doing.

What this young man will earn cannot be measured in dollars, he will be provided with a strong, solid base from which to build the rest of his life.

Last edited by 1371; 02/11/09.
B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by 1371
Bristoe, your articles are inaccurate, unapplicable, and irrelevant as is your opinion.

My opinion hasn't been given.

Please point out the inaccuracies that you claim are in the posted article.

IC B3

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Anyone who is considering the military route should be made aware of the multiple deployment situation which exists today.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/2008-08-14-veterans-mental_N.htm

In a typical unit headed to Iraq, 60% are on their second, third or fourth deployment, lasting about a year each, says U.S. Army Col. Carl Castro, who directs a medical research program at Fort Detrick, Md.

At a crisis hotline for veterans, about 75% of the 400 calls a weekcome from Reserve and National Guard troops or their families, says Shad Meshad, president of the National Veterans Foundation (1-888-777-4443), which runs the line. "Many have been sent back three or four times," he says.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
My #2 son passed his physical yesterday and will go to boot camp on May 27, 2009. (US Army) I am proud and, as a parent, worried, too. Who wouldn't be? But, like all service members he will be lifted up in the prayers of countless Americans.

G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Congratulations to your son! Wishing him the very best!

Retired cat herder.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Bristoe
Originally Posted by 1371

My opinion hasn't been given.

Please point out the inaccuracies that you claim are in the posted article.

Too many to enumerate. Basically that "adapting" syndrome is something that the liberals love to broadcast. What they fail to mention is the percentage is so minuscule it's statistically insignificant. Bottom line is that recruiting remains on or above target goals (yes they've missed a few months), but more importantly "re-ups" of folks who've been there-several times-- remains at an all time high. jorge

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Hudge
If your son wants to enlist, then I to say for him to choose a particular field, not just a branch to join. If he insists on the Army, tell him to go into the UAV field. It is wide open, and now the AF is even thinking of letting enlisted fly UAV's like the Army does. There are several good career fields in either branch, tell him not to just choose the first one the recruiter offers him. I am partial to the Air Force, as I have 11 years in. I almost joined the Coast Guard, but they closed the recruiters office, and the nearest one from me at the time became Memphis which was a 3 hour drive, so I drove 10 minutes and joined the AF.

I like flyboys. They take the real soldiers to where the fighting is and come back and get them afterwards.

Mule
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I was in the Field Artillery. I enjoyed my time in the Army. It was mostly good and I had great friends. I wouldn't be particullarly excited about having a child go in today because quite frankly, I wouldn't want them to go to Iraq or Afghanistan.

However, what concerns me more and what would really concern me if I were thinking of getting in again today is that with the economic situation deteriorating steadily here in the U.S., I think it is very likely that in the next five years or so, our military is going to be used to do some pretty unpleasant duty here at home. Will it? Maybe, maybe not. I'm sure some will refuse. But were it me, I would think long and hard before I put myself in a situation where I might have to make a choice like that.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by jds44
Originally Posted by Kamerad_Les
Nothing wrong with Marines, I have to say, I think they will do a better job with a young man now compared to the Army. I'm not impressed with too many of the young soldiers I have met lately. They are getting soft. Les

[Linked Image]

Damn, that is funny, and hits home a bit as a Soldier I've seen a lot of that in the reserves and nasty guard.

The Army's been great for me, spent some time active and now am a reservist.

Depending on what the kid wants to get out of the military there are pros and cons in each service.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by jds44
Originally Posted by Kamerad_Les
Nothing wrong with Marines, I have to say, I think they will do a better job with a young man now compared to the Army. I'm not impressed with too many of the young soldiers I have met lately. They are getting soft. Les

[Linked Image]

That Army chow must be pretty good!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A family member went in the navy and had a great recruiter, very few lies. The problem was that a Filipino chief had a grudge for new enlisted white boys and went out of his way to make life a living hell for him, when he wouldn't put out. He tried the chain of command and it crapped on him. Not just once or twice, either. He tried everything he knew without luck and ended up on the pier watching his ship pull out. When dumped, he lost almost everything he owned to thieves and was not given a ticket home, just stuck on the pier. Not hearsay, I read the paperwork and paid for the ticket home. he wasn't perfect or completely free of blame but I wouldn't suggest the navy to anyone, ever. I am retired USAF and have worked with numerous fabulous navy folks. His story wasn't unusual. I would suggest the AF or the Coast Guard, assuming the youngster gets his schooling and assignments in writing.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by batch
A family member went in the navy and had a great recruiter, very few lies. The problem was that a Filipino chief had a grudge for new enlisted white boys and went out of his way to make life a living hell for him, when he wouldn't put out. He tried the chain of command and it crapped on him. Not just once or twice, either. He tried everything he knew without luck and ended up on the pier watching his ship pull out. When dumped, he lost almost everything he owned to thieves and was not given a ticket home, just stuck on the pier. Not hearsay, I read the paperwork and paid for the ticket home. he wasn't perfect or completely free of blame but I wouldn't suggest the navy to anyone, ever. I am retired USAF and have worked with numerous fabulous navy folks. His story wasn't unusual. I would suggest the AF or the Coast Guard, assuming the youngster gets his schooling and assignments in writing.

That story is more than a little unusual.

All American

All the time
Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

394 members (10ring1, 17Hunter, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 1moredeer, 1badf350, 41 invisible), 1,411 guests, and 1,093 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,984
Posts18,520,042
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.