Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
I used modeling clay, per the directions with Acra-Glass, to prevent the bedding from getting into the area around the trigger. Any tricks for getting it out of the nooks and crannys?

GB1

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Toothbrush and acetone.

MtnHtr

D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
I've got both of those. Thanks

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Acetone may consume ones toothbrush. I'd go the mineral oil route.

1Minute
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by 1minute
Acetone may consume ones toothbrush. I'd go the mineral oil route.

Not saying it can't happen but it's not happened yet with about 20 toothbrushes (guessestimate).

MtnHtr

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You mean mineral spirits, the paint thinner? That's what I have used with oil based clays which is most of them. Acetone attacks a lot of plastics including epoxy, albeit slowly. Mineral spirits doesn't attack much, except Krylon and maybe other common spray paints.

Have had acetone attack dollar store toothbrushes which are great for guns but hell on gums.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Small tip: Next time, use Silly Putty from the toy store. Strips out and leaves no residue, and can be used "forever" (well, mine seems to just keep going and going).

John

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Or use PlayDough next time. But, I use WD40 to get behind and loosen clay.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
This topic has been discussed before.

I have found that some kids' modeling clay is greasy and hard to remove. I have had better luck with the kind sold at art supply stores. It is stiffer and less greasy. I also use beeswax to plug certain areas.

I am very leery of using anything exotic that might contain silicone. Silicone will prevent finishes and bedding compounds from adhering, and is heck to remove, even from steel. It can even mess up a blue job or stock finishing job down the road.

Paul

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by JAB
I used modeling clay, per the directions with Acra-Glass, to prevent the bedding from getting into the area around the trigger. Any tricks for getting it out of the nooks and crannys?

I know this isn't fair, cause it's too easy. If you or your neighbor has got a chest freezer? Just put the stock in the freezer and wait a couple of hours. The clay freezes and pops out easily.

Thus saith thr lord; Cursed be the man that trusteth in man, and maketh flesh his arm, and whose heart departeh from the lord. Jeremiah 17:5 KJV
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
compressed air and safety glasses..works for me

It must feel so good to be right all the time.....
Click "Ignore"..get rid of the whore..
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
sixbits,

If you freeze the whole shebang in order to harden up the clay, aren't you going to end up with condensation in every nook and cranny, including the bore?

Maybe I'm missing something, but it would seem that you're making extra work for yourself in order to deal with the minor problem of getting the clay out.

Paul

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Toothpicks, patience, and maybe a little lacquer thinner.

The next time, use the clay in open areas, and pack paste wax into the nooks, crannies, and threaded holes.

It ain't no fun, when the rabbit's got the gun
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Swipe some of the kids play dough, it cleans easily and if left to dry will just fall out. Cleaning out modeling clay is why I used to dread glass bedding.

V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
Take a can of compressed air and turn it upside down. The liquid spraying out will freeze the clay on contact and then it pops right out with very little effort.

Hunt hard, kill clean, waste nothing and offer no apologies.

"In rifle work, group size is of some interest...but it is well to remember that a rifleman does not shoot groups, he shoots shots." Jeff Cooper

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Paul39
sixbits,

If you freeze the whole shebang in order to harden up the clay, aren't you going to end up with condensation in every nook and cranny, including the bore?

Maybe I'm missing something, but it would seem that you're making extra work for yourself in order to deal with the minor problem of getting the clay out.

Paul

I've never had that kind of problem. My shop is heated. Maybe if you were doing this outback, it would be a problem? We even have indoor plumbing here. Saves those cold walks outback. Probably and unfair advantage to some and just a level of comfort to others, but I like it.

By the by, you might want to consider removing the barreled action before (let me stress) before you put it in the freezer or for that matter try to remove the clay. Makes for much easier removal of the clay.

Thus saith thr lord; Cursed be the man that trusteth in man, and maketh flesh his arm, and whose heart departeh from the lord. Jeremiah 17:5 KJV
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Watch out for Play-Doh (or however you spell it). I used some that my kids made at home, which it turns out is like 60% salt. It will start discoloring your rifle finish if you let it sit for too long.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
sixbits,

Not trying to be argumentative, but that's fine if you know and can control your environment. I know one very knowledgable shooter who carried a rifle from an air conditioned outbuilding shop into his house, and found later that the bore had rusted from the moisture picked up in the trip across the yard. This was in MS, very humid.

Bluedreaux's caution about the Play-Doh illustrates what I said about being careful about the contents of these various products, silicone being my main concern. That's why I use art store modeling clay. It seems fairly neutral and non-greasy.

As an aside, as an amateur stock finisher I have become leery of using common erasers to back sandpaper. You can't count on their being rubber anymore, and I wonder particularly about silicone. I've had them melt and become slimy from normal finishing solvents like mineral spirits.

None of these modern manufacturing materials seem good for finishes and bedding materials. That's why I prefer old fashioned low tech stuff like beeswax, floor wax, and the like.

Paul

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

427 members (007FJ, 160user, 10Glocks, 1lesfox, 222ND, 10ring1, 37 invisible), 2,130 guests, and 1,156 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,392
Posts18,469,896
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.