Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I can't fathom anyone going into the shop, hearing about the packs from Dana himself, and not coming out owning one. I went in looking for a CC, but even if I hadn't...
My next pack(s) will almost surely be another MR. In my limited experience I have had 2 REI packs, a mammut daypack, have a granite gear daypack, still use 2 Arc'teryx packs (Needle and Bora), and in 80% of circumstances I'd rather have a MR, and their customer service is remarkable. Just this afternoon Andrew helped me re-adjust the frame over the phone and was very patient and articulate. The last gear "salesman" I talked to at REI didn't even know that Integral Designs made bivy sacks (as in the several they carry).
I am not an expert. But, I have no reason to be biased, and no reason to lie. MR is the real deal, and their people have real experience using gear to its limit.

GB1

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
MR,
I notice the listed weights are close to a pound different for the CBMR behemoth vs the NICE6500. Is that due to material used in the CBMR packs ? Is the frame heavier on the overseas made version ? thanks
Dan

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Personally I like the G series packs a LOT... Dana, however, has seen fit to offer only two sizes and, try as I might, I fall in between those two. No big deal, there are other packs out there. However, some years back I suggested the upper load lifter attachment point be adjustable as it would be a real help to get more sized folks into the packs.

If a G series fit me I'd be an owner right now. No big deal. I understand the economics of not wanting to offer the something like the four frame sizes like at the old DD.

As to the packs built around the Alice frame, no thanks... the frame is clearly very short for the size loads some of the bags are built for as the pics of Rackmaster's pack above clearly show.

I understand there's an "extender" for the Alice sized frames... hmmm, wonder why?

Load lifters work and are one really important and key feature to a comfortable riding internal frame with big loads... that's REALITY. They can't do their work laying flat to the shoulder on a large pack... O* lift is fine on a smaller pack bag, but not on the 4,000 ci + being hung on a small frame.

I've sent a LOT of business to MR because they build high quality stuff and everyone I've dealt with has been wonderful. Especially Andrew.

However, I'm not prepared to drink koolaid just because someone tells me the military Alice frame size is the right size platform for big packs. It ain't and no amount of wishing will change that for me.

The military wanted to keep their Alice frames and wanted bags to hang on them. Dana smartly obliged and the whole thing has blossomed into a wonderful operation. I'm happy about that, but I have no interest in an Alice sized frame. If someone finds bliss in their short, fat MR pack I'm all for them! Let your own experience dictate your decision.

"Mystery Ranch" has twice sent me angry and obnoxious PM's... obviously a young kid to take anything I've expressed without emotion, giving all the due and credit where I can where I see it, and expressed in the context of a matter of personal opinion and preference on a public forum, as a personal attack... that's just dumb.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Brad,

This is not the first or second time you've $hit on a pack manufacturer.

If you know so much - then start your own company and we'll take pot shots at your product. If not, show some respect and let the masses decide for themselves. It's all personal preferences anyways, and MR puts out a quality product no doubt.

MtnHtr

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Speaking of emotional, angry dipchits that can't read...

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Mtn Hunter
Brad,

This is not the first or second time you've $hit on a pack manufacturer.

If you know so much - then start your own company and we'll take pot shots at your product. If not, show some respect and let the masses decide for themselves. It's all personal preferences anyways, and MR puts out a quality product no doubt.

MtnHtr

Stacy, I see you edited your post...

Should have quoted the original for the record...

PLEASE point out "chitting" on MR's packs anywhere in the above. Last time I checked this was a public forum where the free exchange of ideas and opinion's is encouraged.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Brad
Speaking of emotional, angry dipchits that can't read...

Brad,

Put your personal attacks and name calling aside, and give this forum a rest. Step outside, take a deep breath of fresh Montucky air and go for a walk or something.

A fella like you should not be this angry. Go walk it off........

MtnHtr

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
I will chime in here for what it's worth.
I have tried the NICE w/ Crewcab and really liked the design, but I too had the same problem that Brad and other's had w/ the so called loadlifters not being able to perform BOTH of their funtions. One being to pull the load closer to the back w/ it did fine and two taking the weight off the shoulders when loaded w/ a hvy load which it could not do the way it is designed. I know others love the MR CC and show many hvy loads being hauled w/ one but for me it wasn't working and made my shoulders hurt when loaded.
I contacted MR and they were very kind and offered help but other than changing out packs there was no cure for me.
I built a panel extender to get the loadlifters up where they could funtion and presto it was great. I shared this w/ M.R. and asked if there was any way to build a modification or add-on and this is where it stalled, which I understand this fully and it was o.k.
I am no way as exper. as others in packs but when "I" have to haul a hvy load a distance I need to have a way of getting the weight off my shoulders and the Crewcab would not allow me to do this.
Kifaru has even taken notice of this and their new G2 line has extended the frame on some of their packs to better funtion in this area.
My opinion and my opinion only is that Dan McHale has the best design going for loadlifters but it is patented and only he can make this. His is called the bypass system. It has two straps that run parrelal(sp) w/ each other and one keeps the load pulled close to the body while the other can lift the load off the shoulders or vise-versa. It is by far a superior design.
Well enough chatter. One thing is for sure we have acess to many great packs and there is no ONE SIZE FITS ALL so my hats off to the ones making these great packs because it is mucho fun tring all this quality equipment out there. Again, My hats off to you all!!!
Allen

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Yeah, the kid from MR says I have "ulterior" motives on this thread then sends angry and obnoxious PM's... then, in your usual girly fashion you show up to try a couple of weak, side-ways shots and I'm the one engaged in "personal attacks"... TFF.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
For whatever it is worth, this forum has started to become a bit of an MR advertisement.

Not sure I agree with that, even though I own a MR pack and I like it.

Just my 2 cents.

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

IC B3

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I have "ulterior" motives

Would love to know what those ulterior motives are.

Somebody fess up please! We need to know! grin

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by 340boy
For whatever it is worth, this forum has started to become a bit of an MR advertisement.

Just my 2 cents.

340boy, you could say that for leupold, mcmillan, tsx's, and a host of other products too. Birds of a feather will flock together, and in this case will migrate to a forum where their own personal preferences prevail, and will discuss/cuss the various aspects of said preferred product.

I think this is a great opportunity for discussion, and for others to learn about products before committing their dollars. The problem is, when someone offers an opinion counter to the prevailing opinion, a dog-pile ensues.

Unless some serious post-post-editing occured, all Brad did was comment on frame length/lifter location on a particular stature/load combination.

just my 2 cents too

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
How about getting back to why this post was made.

A forum sponsor getting the word to the campfire on a good sale.

I love my all 3 of Mystery Ranch packs. They fit ME perfect.

This is getting to be like the optics forum......... NUFF SAID

"It's my main love for all things Ackley. Plus the dude was cool before cool was cool."

SH08
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by free_miner
Originally Posted by 340boy

Just my 2 cents.

340boy, you could say that for leupold, mcmillan, tsx's, and a host of other products too. Birds of a feather will flock together, and in this case will migrate to a forum where their own personal preferences prevail, and will discuss/cuss the various aspects of said preferred product.

I think this is a great opportunity for discussion, and for others to learn about products before committing their dollars. The problem is, when someone offers an opinion counter to the prevailing opinion, a dog-pile ensues.

Unless some serious post-post-editing occured, all Brad did was comment on frame length/lifter location on a particular stature/load combination.

just my 2 cents too

Free Miner,
You make some good points.

However,I was certainly not bagging on Brad.
I have a good deal of respect for him and his opinions.

My point was that this forum has lost some of its objectivity which is ashame.
This used to be my favorite forum on the 'Fire.
Now, however, I hardly even read it let alone post here.

Again, I remind you that I do own a MR pack(Nice/6500) and I think it is a very well made, good fitting setup.

Again, just my opinion.

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
340boy, i know you weren;t bagging on anyone, and am in full agreement about the declining objectivity. Just pointing out that it is natural that the 'strongest' opinions will eventually drive 'dissenters' off.

I also appreciate good dealers like MR and cameraland and the like to offer a heads-up on sale products, and I also ordered a black CC with a daypack last week, just to see what the fuss is all about.

kenaiking, you are correct of course, but even a forum sponsor has to expect comments from all sides if they post on a public forum.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Free Miner,
Thanks for your reply.
I agree totally about the advertisers giving advance notice on sales-that is a good thing!
cool

James Elroy Flecker

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
As for the sale - I already have 2 NICE frames, 2 crewcabs, and an assortment of other MR bags.. and I'm sure I'll be buying more in the future. Definately good to see the heads up though.. have a friend who I suspect will be paying a visit.

As for the fit - I've never had a problem. Have seen a lot of packs being used, and for a daypack on steroids, have yet to see anything even remotely as fitting as the crew cab. For larger, heavier, day-in and day out backpacking I've never used anything that competes in comfort with my NICE/6500 combo. I haven't used the G-series packs though..

Brad, what are you using for a hunting backpack? You should bring it by sometime (with beer), as I'd like to compare.

I've been in and out of that MR shop enough to know if something doesn't work just right, they will do whatever it takes to get you rolling with the best product and service possible.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by free_miner

kenaiking, you are correct of course, but even a forum sponsor has to expect comments from all sides if they post on a public forum.

FM,

I totally agree 100% The best part about this forum was the ability to ask a question and get lots of different opinions. It worked great for me on my sleeping bag thread. It really opened my eyes to a lot of different bags. What I don't like to see is when we take a thread and make it into a mine is better then yours thread. We have our opinions and we all like what works best for US. That said what works for you may not work best for me. When I post I try to give the best opinion I can with the gear I have or have used. If it was good for me I will tell you why and if it was bad I will tell you what didn't work for ME.

In the end I'm glad we are so passionate about our gear and what we like to do. (insert warm fuzzy hug here)

"It's my main love for all things Ackley. Plus the dude was cool before cool was cool."

SH08
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
you can learn from others experience but only to a point, it's their experience and you have to create your own to find what works for you for we're all different.

I like to squeeze all the comfort I can outa my gear. but I've no doubt the old guys I respect up here that their game tasted just as good dropping it with a wood stocked .30-06 and hauling it in on a Nelson packboard.

we're lucky to have to choose from what we do for sure.

"This ain't dress rehearsal....it's the life you get to live, make it a good one."

TEAMWORK = a bunch of people doing what I say
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 1akhunter
you can learn from others experience but only to a point, it's their experience and you have to create your own to find what works for you for we're all different.

I like to squeeze all the comfort I can outa my gear. but I've no doubt the old guys I respect up here that their game tasted just as good dropping it with a wood stocked .30-06 and hauling it in on a Nelson packboard.

we're lucky to have to choose from what we do for sure.

No doubt about that!!

Now that FAI guys use extreme shallows and fancy stainless 300wm's laugh

SH08
Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

65 members (7mm_Loco, 907brass, 808outdoors, 11 invisible), 14,433 guests, and 1,147 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,228
Posts18,543,992
Members74,060
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.