Home
We thought we'd share this with 24hourcampfire before anyone else! Here's the skinny.

This is the BIGGEST discount ever offered by Mystery Ranch. We have listed all the Black CamelBak Mystery Ranch products at unbelievable discounts! This sale will begin Thursday April 2 (this is not an April Fools Joke!!). Get ready, these products will go fast!!!!

You can order online or call us at the shop..... 406.585.1428

This sale is limited to BLACK CBMR packs/frames only.... here's the breakdown;

Black CBMR NICE Frame Packs

Black CBMR Crew Cab (1900-5000 cubic inches) and Black NICE Frame $249
Black CBMR Manticore (4200 cubic inches) and Black NICE Frame $269
Black CBMR Cerberus (4400 cubic inches) and Black NICE Frame $259
Black CBMR Behemoth (6500 cubic inches) and Black NICE Frame $299

Black CBMR Guide Frame Packs

Black CBMR Orion (6000 cubic inches) $289
Black CBMR Scorpius (7000 cubic inches) $299

Black CBMR products carry Mystery Ranch's Lifetime Warranty. This sale is limited to stock on hand and quantities are very limited.

*** A $30 charge will be added to outfit any small or large belts, and any small or large yokes.***

The listed prices are for medium belts and yokes?
Yes.....

We would be outfitting folks outside of those sizes (med yoke/med belts) with Mystery Ranch (USA Built) harnessing......

Just waistbelts alone cost $34 for regular belts.... and our yokes cost $80!!!

This is a considerable value.... lets say you're a small/small.... you're getting a $114 value for $30.

What time do you open tomorrow? I assume this is first-come first-served?

Dennis
First Come first served. The sale will be advertised on our website..... so you can place the order there or you can call us..... we're here by 8:30 am.

Ask for Kenzie first..... he's underworked!

Ha!

Wow.....might have to try and sneak an order in if I can!
Oh man thats too funny!! Poor Kenzie laugh
Kenzie's definitely not OVERworked..... he's so busy these days......

He's expecting his first baby..... a little boy..... any minute!!!

Give him some props when you get on the phone with him!!!

Originally Posted by MysteryRanch
First Come first served. The sale will be advertised on our website..... so you can place the order there or you can call us..... we're here by 8:30 am.

Ask for Kenzie first..... he's underworked!

Ha!

The dog woke me up at 5:30 this morning, because it's getting light out by then; if she does that again tomorrow morning, I should be functional and able to order by 6:30 grin.

I think I "need" a Crew Cab/NICE frame, and black is just fine with me.

Dennis
MR,

Would I be able to get just a Crew Cab without the NICE Frame??? And if so, what would it cost? I previously bought a Behemoth so I don't really NEED a second frame ... (grin)
Originally Posted by hmt
MR,

Would I be able to get just a Crew Cab without the NICE Frame??? And if so, what would it cost? I previously bought a Behemoth so I don't really NEED a second frame ... (grin)

I talked with Mark and no. Packages only. Its real nice if you dont have to change frames but you could always pass a good deal on a frame along!!

Good for him! Someone eles's kid need to abuse the MR sales floor in the audi smile
These are the same Crew Cabs that are listed for $490?

Thanks,
Brent
This is great. I have active duty this weekend; so, I will phone my order in tomorrow and stop in personally to pick up my packs on Friday. Clean livin' works boys.
Brent, the ones on sale are black and made overseas and produced in collaboration with Camelbak (CBMR = Camelbak Mystery Ranch). More info is on the webiste.

The ones for $490 are made in the USA.
MR,
I currently have the CBMR Orion pack, and I LOVE IT!! Do you still have the green or coyote color CBMR Nice frames and Crew Cabs available, even at their regular prices?

Thanks in advance!
Well who scored a sweet pack???
I did. I'm picking mine up on Friday. If any of you guys from Helena want to buy one or two and want to save on shipping, let me (and MR) know and I will be happy to deliver for you. I'm heading to Helena for active duty this weekend.
crewcab
Wonder how many Crewcab's are left, I heard a rumor they were starting with 16.
I'm not sure.

You can't hardly even stumble into an rei and buy a piece of junk for $249.
I talked to them yesterday and they had over 100.
I talked to them last night, and Kenzie said over a hundred Crewcabs. I just ordered the crewcab/NICE setup, and Kenzie was not sure that their inventory would last until tomorrow.

By the way, he told me that MR partnered with Camelbak when they were getting started and needed to fulfill large (multi-hundred pack) orders that exceeded their internal manufacturing capacity. Then they decided that they wanted 100% control, and bought back all of the Camelbak produced packs. But now they need to make space, so out they go.
I got a Cerberus from Kenzie at 8:00 this morning. I was told my order took their inventory from 59 to 58 of this pack. Frankly, I didn't think they would have that many in-stock. I had a brief thought of ordering two, then I slapped myself back to reality. Afterall, my wife was probably listening. I am excited, this will be my first "large" backpack. I am sure MR will get more of my money for needed accesories.

Brent
kudos to MR for giving the fire the heads up!

congrats to you guys that scored you a good pack for a modest amount of loot!

I paid more than that for mine used and am still pleased with the deal.
I picked up a crew cab and Day pack lid.

Tks again to MR for this fantastic opportunity!
Kudos to the Campfire.....

Our Sales Force is up to their EYEBALLS in orders.

Keep 'em coming.....

Mark
Hey MR thanks sooooo much for posting this sale on the fire, I've wanted one of your packs for awhile now. I just ordered a Behemoth moments ago. Now whenever the Great Swamp otherwise known as the Powder River Basin dries up I can see how badly I can hurt myself carrying a ridiculous load with my new pack. Thought about using the pack to carry sick bovine calves into the house to warm them up (they do their best to freeze to the ground in weather such as we've had) when they are inaccessible via truck. If it happens I'll send ya a pic.
please send us a photo..... or if you ever need a hand give us a call.....

we'll take some photos, help with your calves, and fix some fence..... Crew Cabs work well for odd sized objects such as a calf.

Thanks for your business.

Mark
Well thanks for the offer, I'd be a little careful offering to help out around this outfit, you might just get put to work digging five miles of post holes on a gumbo knob in the 100 degree heat. Heck I may just have to order a Crew Cab to go with my Behomoth.... Hmm got me thinking.
Okay.... we've only got 9 Black Daypack lids left.........

Mark
I picked up a Crew Cab plus all the fixins. Was going to wait for Colorado Elk draw results, but you upped my motivation to get one. Thank you.
Picked up a Crewcab and a Behemoth.....SWEET!!!
Are the Asian made ones as bomber proof as the Bozeman ones? Anybody done a side by side?
Conrad,

I've got both CBMR and Mystery Ranch stuff. I had the CBMR stuff first, and have used it fairly hard for two years. Pretty much the only sign it isn't new is dirt, sweat, and blood stains. The lines are pretty comperable, IMHO.

Carl
It's bomber enough that we offer a LIFETIME Warranty with every single one we sell.

That's pretty bomber.
Well...you have no more than eight left now...along with one less CrewCab/NICE pack grin.

I may have to call you, though. I asked for USPS Priority Mail shipment, because FedEx and UPS truly suck delivering to islands in SE Alaska. If you absolutely cannot ship by US Mail -- which works astoundingly well here -- then I will likely have a friend in Bozeman come by and pick it up...because he can mail it to me.

Thanks for making this great deal available to us...I'm going goat hunting in August and "need" a better setup than what I have.

Dennis
Originally Posted by muledeer
Well...you have no more than eight left now...along with one less CrewCab/NICE pack grin.

I may have to call you, though. I asked for USPS Priority Mail shipment, because FedEx and UPS truly suck delivering to islands in SE Alaska. If you absolutely cannot ship by US Mail -- which works astoundingly well here -- then I will likely have a friend in Bozeman come by and pick it up...because he can mail it to me.

Thanks for making this great deal available to us...I'm going goat hunting in August and "need" a better setup than what I have.

Dennis

Dennis,

I will go get it for you and mail it usps if you cant find anyone.

just shoot me a pm
Thanks...I'll let you know what they tell me.

I'm thinking you've had "the experience" with FedEx/UPS in Alaska grin.

Dennis
yup sure have smile Keep me posted......
I ordered my packs today and they said they'd ship USPS in Montana......I'm at a PO Box so pretty much NEED it shipped USPS. I'm hoping that there was no miscommunication and its actually comin USPS.....
Man I wish these were in some other color than Black! I would have ordered one first thing this morning for sure. I wonder if I could spray paint my own camo pattern on a crew cab?
I actually prefered black....heh. Bonus for me!!
Can anyone compare the Crew Cab to a K Longhunter. Thanks Duane
Wow.....worlds apart.......

Crewcab is a very modular pack while the Longhunter is closer resemblance to a pack like the Behemoth or Scorpius.

The NICE frame system is a very cool concept in itself....

Do a search for Crewcab on here...there are some good pics and you'll get an idea of some of the differences.
Rack thanks for the info. Ive checked out some of the info, but seems that some guys are saying the MR is stiff. How do they compare for fit. Thanks DOO
I found the Kifaru too long for me.....the MR definatly are a bit 'shorter' in the frame but the adjustable yoke works well for me. It seems to come down to personal choice on what guys like.

MR NICE frames are very stiff, but mine carries like an internal frame pack when I'm wearing it.....and the belts are built much better IMO....
Heres some good reading man....

For me....its Mystery Ranch ALL the way.......

http://24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/1231922/page/0/fpart/1

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthread...u&topic=0&Search=true#Post994380

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthread...u&topic=0&Search=true#Post990512
Rack thanks Again. How about sizing. Im like right at 5'9" Do I need a small or medium Yoke. Also would a crew cab fit on a fella in a saddle. DOOO
The NICE frame most likely would be okay on a saddle......I hate wearing a pack on a saddle for long periods but since the NICE frame is kinda 'short' it doesnt hang too low and would work well I'd think.....

I'm not sure how they are sized....but I'm sure MR will chime in....all I know is I'm 6' and 180lbs and I'm a size medium.
Dewy,

Where in MT are you? If your down in this area I would suggest a trip into Mystery Ranch to take a look. You will probably be a small yoke but its nice to get fit by the boys at MR. A CC would work great on a horse. It is a short pack which should ride above your saddle. It might be awkward in the hip belt (as in it might ride up) but you could probably keep it loose to compensate.
Kenaiking Thanks for the info, Been thinking about this for a while and now with the sale, was thinking of trying one out. IM up in Kalispell. According to the chart Im right between a small and med. DEWY
I went for it and ordered the CC! I figure I can sell the bag if I don't like the black - hard to pass up a deal like this. I will use this pack on my very first Elk hunt this fall!
Will a bone-in elk hindquarter (no spine or ribs, just the big "drumstick") slip into a Crew Cab, or do you need to use a load sling? If not the rear haunch, how about a front shoulder?

Just thinking about that first load out.

Wahoo!! Just ordered a Scorpius!!
I was going to order a Grizzly later this year, hope this one works out.
How about two bone-in hindquarters?

Or a hind quarter, a front shoulder, and a euro mount?

What about an entire antelope?

The Crew Cab does it all!

Sounds perfect!
Quit bragging!!! :-)

Well I got my behemoth ordered so now I have that and the crewcab.

All I need now are new knees.

Conrad
MR,

How do the Manticore and CC compare?

They can both haul 120 lbs?

How do their roles differ?

Is there a pocket for hydration on either?

Is there a place to attache a rifle?

What is the difference between the guide frame in the
Orion and the NICE in the CC or Manticore?
One hauls 120 lbs while the other hauls 80 lbs.
Manticore is 4200 Cubic Inches.... 3 Zip design.... very easy to pack and to access.

The Crew Cab is very versatile... from 1900 to 5000 cubic inches and will handle just about any awkward load......

Both of these packs connect to the NICE Frame..... which really has an unlimited weight carrying ability......

The Question is not how much the packs can haul...... it's how much YOU can haul.

It says the Manticore weighs 3lbs 7 oz, is that without the frame?

Got to be without the frame. The MR website lists the NICE frame alone @ 4lbs 5oz (1.96kg).
Yes... that's without the frame.

Mark

How is or why does the NICE frame haul 40 more lbs more
than the GUIDE frame?
Beefier frame...... much beefier....

Why does the Orion pack not come on a NICE frame?

Can you put a Orion or Scopious pack on the NICE?

Would the weight increase considerably to make them
to heavy?

Sorry for so many questions, I have never seen or handled
one of your packs. You obviously have a great rep but I need
to narrow down my choices.

Of the CC or Manticore, which one would work better for
hauling out "boned out meat" It's easy to attach a boned
quarter to a pack but "boned out" can be different.
The Orion doesn't come with a NICE Frame because it's not a NICE Frame pack!!!

The Orion and Scorpius are the Overseas equivalents..... to our G6000 and G7000.

Orion and Scorpius packs DO NOT work with NICE Frames...... if you want a 6000 - 7000 cubic inch pack that works with the NICE Frame.... buy a Behemoth!!!!

Manticore is better for simply boned out meat, CC is better for bone in quarters.
SU35,

What are your main uses for the pack? What do you NEED in a pack and what are your preferences? What style of hunting?

Maybe we can help ya find the right one that suits your needs the best....

The Cerberus is also a pretty good sized pack to look at if you're looking for a good in-between size pack.

It will handle elk quarters whole, and a ton of gear, yet packs down small for daypack use. I have plenty of pics of the pack in use if you ever want too....
Thanks Rackmastr,

Elk hunting, it sounds like the Monticore would work best for me
as I bone everything out.

For mule deer, that can be up to a 5 day pack in and then hualing out a boned out (300 lb live weight deer).

The Cerberus sounds appealing but not sure it can handle all my gear as well.

Go ahead post some pic's.

I think the Cerberus is 5000 and the Manticore is 4500?

Either would most likely work good, but ya if you are a boning out kinda guy I would go with one of the two.

Here are a few pics of the Cerberus in action....both loaded up and compressed down....

Here it is with only a few items in it as a day-pack

[Linked Image]

And loaded with 2 full quarters, one backstrap, and full cape/head of my mulie this year...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Good!

Thanks
On sizing I'm 5'7" with a 34" waist and 46" chest. Would a medium/medium work? Or should I get a small yoke? Then on the waistbelt does the medium work below 34"? During hunting season I may drop to a 33".

Mac7~

You definitely want a Medium Yoke.

Medium belts sounds perfect...... unless you're waist is actually smaller than 34".

If your waist fluctuates to smaller sizes, I'd recommend getting a set of small belts.

The medium belts will work on people smaller than 34" but you're risking bottoming out the belts.... i.e. no more webbing to tighten the belt with a huge/heavy load.

Get the smalls.... I'm a 33" to 34" and I always use smalls.....

Mark

Mark,

I ordered a Cerberus yesterday. I am a 34" waist and was told to get the medium belt. If my order has not yet shipped, should I change to a small?

Thanks,
Brent
Brent you should be good. If they dont fit well its just an excuse to order up some zippered waist belts in small laugh
Medium should work for you.... but if you're trending on the smaller side of things go with smalls.... or why not buy both now?

And then return the ones that don't work for you....

We want this stuff to perform better than anything you've ever had before.... with the best customer service on the planet.

Best.

Alright All, a medium it is, don't slow down the shipping process because of me, ship on......

Brent
I had the same issue (right over the size cut-off)and had to get Mark to refit me with a small belt as I lost weight and all the fat tends to squish around the belt anyway with a max load.

You are gonna be one happy dude. :-)
Anyone (MR, or others) know if the showroom is open tomorrow (saturday)?
Originally Posted by Rackmastr

[Linked Image]

No offense bud, but that pack frame, for the weight you're packing, is too small... your load-lifters should be at a minimum of 25-30* above your shoulders.

That's the problem with some of these "hunting packs"... they're built around the Military Alice frame specs which is a compromise for sure...

Nice critters though!

Dennis

Did you get a response on USPS Dennis? I had the same question.
SnowyMountaineer, they are open Saturdays indeed.
Originally Posted by Brad

No offense bud, but that pack frame, for the weight you're packing, is too small... your load-lifters should be at a minimum of 25-30* above your shoulders.

That's the problem with some of these "hunting packs"... they're built around the Military Alice frame specs which is a compromise for sure...

Nice critters though!

No offense taken at all.....I've never felt more comfortable with the amount of weight I've carried with this pack. It keeps me walkin straight and feelin great.....

I do see your point you're making, but I honestly have never found a pack that comes CLOSE to handling the weight and making me (my back/hips/shoulders) feel as good as this one, so I guess I can throw those rules out the door and just keep humpin game through the hills....heh

Hey Mystery Ranch -- I hope you don't mind but I mentioned your sale to the boys over at the AR backpack hunting forum.
I stopped by MR today to pick up my pack and ended up leaving with two. Once I saw the Crew Cab, I had to have one. It's just too flexible of a design not to have in the gear bag.

Got the royal treatment with a custom fitting of the pack. Kenzie even threw in some extras. Who was it that was talking trash about him? smile

We're lucky to have a company like MR offering first rate gear for hunting/outdoors. There isn't a better company run by better people anywhere.

Originally Posted by cwh2

Dennis

Did you get a response on USPS Dennis? I had the same question.

Yes I did. They agreed to ship it to me USPS. I made the point to them that everyone in Alaska would appreciate that consideration grin. MR appears to have a high level of customer service going on, and I appreciate it.

Dennis
They did USPS to NY for me with no problem. Works much better than the brown truck for me. Definitely a top notch outfit to deal with.
Originally Posted by RockHopper
I stopped by MR today to pick up my pack and ended up leaving with two. Once I saw the Crew Cab, I had to have one. It's just too flexible of a design not to have in the gear bag.

Got the royal treatment with a custom fitting of the pack. Kenzie even threw in some extras. Who was it that was talking trash about him? smile

We're lucky to have a company like MR offering first rate gear for hunting/outdoors. There isn't a better company run by better people anywhere.

I'm glad to hear that since I ordered one yesterday sight unseen, figured I'd have the frame if the pack didn't suit me and the price was just to hard to pass up, whether I needed it or not...
I am looking at buying one of the packs this morning. (possibly Cerberus) My problem is I am at the border with a couple sizes. I am 5' 7" or 5' 8" and am usually a size 34. I am not sure which yoke and belt to order. I see it mentioned in some previous posts about people the same size as me wondering which yoke and belt size to go with. Sounds like medium yoke and almost either medium or small for the belt size. If these (yoke or belt) needed to be changed after the fact can they be? If so can I do them, or does the pack need to be returned for the conversions?
Yup you can change the belts and yokes. Its super easy. You should be a medium yoke and if you dont go below a 34 inch waist you should be good with a med belt. But as Mark said above you could order a small and med belt and just send back the one you dont use.

I really like the zippered waist belts so you might think about that as well.
Easy to swap them out Darren......its undoing a few buckles and some velcro and you're good to go.....
Originally Posted by kenaiking
Yup you can change the belts and yokes. Its super easy. You should be a medium yoke and if you dont go below a 34 inch waist you should be good with a med belt. But as Mark said above you could order a small and med belt and just send back the one you dont use.

Zippered waist belts. What is that all about? I'm looking on their website but see anything on them.
Originally Posted by Duk Dog
Originally Posted by kenaiking

Zippered waist belts. What is that all about? I'm looking on their website but see anything on them.

Found it, and it looks like an option for the Cerberus.
They fit a rangefinder perfect.
I'm guessing the shop is closed on Sunday - what time are they manning the phones on Monday morning?
They roll in early. Around 8:30am
Trevor.....

Your pack fits perfectly.... Brad has ULTERIOR motives.... he thinks the NICE Frame is a "compromise product"....... I guess because it works so well for both Military and Hunting he thinks it's a compromise..... go figure?

The NICE was originally designed for the Military..... we're not hiding that.... but pretty soon hardcore hunters in our area (Bozeman Montana) started using them and having amazing results.... myself included! That's why we began marketing them to hunters.....

Dana thought this was pretty cool.... he's not a hunter himself so he had no idea that his design was so great for our needs..... Field and Steam also gave us a BEST OF THE BEST award for the NICE FRAME..... hmmmm!

Praire Goat~

Share it with EVERYONE!!! This is an amazing value!

Thanks for spreading the word!

Mark
Brad has ULTERIOR motives

Would love an ignoramus like you to explain my motives to me... this should be fascinating.

I can't fathom anyone going into the shop, hearing about the packs from Dana himself, and not coming out owning one. I went in looking for a CC, but even if I hadn't...
My next pack(s) will almost surely be another MR. In my limited experience I have had 2 REI packs, a mammut daypack, have a granite gear daypack, still use 2 Arc'teryx packs (Needle and Bora), and in 80% of circumstances I'd rather have a MR, and their customer service is remarkable. Just this afternoon Andrew helped me re-adjust the frame over the phone and was very patient and articulate. The last gear "salesman" I talked to at REI didn't even know that Integral Designs made bivy sacks (as in the several they carry).
I am not an expert. But, I have no reason to be biased, and no reason to lie. MR is the real deal, and their people have real experience using gear to its limit.
MR,
I notice the listed weights are close to a pound different for the CBMR behemoth vs the NICE6500. Is that due to material used in the CBMR packs ? Is the frame heavier on the overseas made version ? thanks
Dan
Personally I like the G series packs a LOT... Dana, however, has seen fit to offer only two sizes and, try as I might, I fall in between those two. No big deal, there are other packs out there. However, some years back I suggested the upper load lifter attachment point be adjustable as it would be a real help to get more sized folks into the packs.

If a G series fit me I'd be an owner right now. No big deal. I understand the economics of not wanting to offer the something like the four frame sizes like at the old DD.

As to the packs built around the Alice frame, no thanks... the frame is clearly very short for the size loads some of the bags are built for as the pics of Rackmaster's pack above clearly show.

I understand there's an "extender" for the Alice sized frames... hmmm, wonder why?

Load lifters work and are one really important and key feature to a comfortable riding internal frame with big loads... that's REALITY. They can't do their work laying flat to the shoulder on a large pack... O* lift is fine on a smaller pack bag, but not on the 4,000 ci + being hung on a small frame.

I've sent a LOT of business to MR because they build high quality stuff and everyone I've dealt with has been wonderful. Especially Andrew.

However, I'm not prepared to drink koolaid just because someone tells me the military Alice frame size is the right size platform for big packs. It ain't and no amount of wishing will change that for me.

The military wanted to keep their Alice frames and wanted bags to hang on them. Dana smartly obliged and the whole thing has blossomed into a wonderful operation. I'm happy about that, but I have no interest in an Alice sized frame. If someone finds bliss in their short, fat MR pack I'm all for them! Let your own experience dictate your decision.

"Mystery Ranch" has twice sent me angry and obnoxious PM's... obviously a young kid to take anything I've expressed without emotion, giving all the due and credit where I can where I see it, and expressed in the context of a matter of personal opinion and preference on a public forum, as a personal attack... that's just dumb.

Brad,

This is not the first or second time you've $hit on a pack manufacturer.

If you know so much - then start your own company and we'll take pot shots at your product. If not, show some respect and let the masses decide for themselves. It's all personal preferences anyways, and MR puts out a quality product no doubt.

MtnHtr
Speaking of emotional, angry dipchits that can't read...
Originally Posted by Mtn Hunter
Brad,

This is not the first or second time you've $hit on a pack manufacturer.

If you know so much - then start your own company and we'll take pot shots at your product. If not, show some respect and let the masses decide for themselves. It's all personal preferences anyways, and MR puts out a quality product no doubt.

MtnHtr

Stacy, I see you edited your post...

Should have quoted the original for the record...

PLEASE point out "chitting" on MR's packs anywhere in the above. Last time I checked this was a public forum where the free exchange of ideas and opinion's is encouraged.

Originally Posted by Brad
Speaking of emotional, angry dipchits that can't read...

Brad,

Put your personal attacks and name calling aside, and give this forum a rest. Step outside, take a deep breath of fresh Montucky air and go for a walk or something.

A fella like you should not be this angry. Go walk it off........

MtnHtr
I will chime in here for what it's worth.
I have tried the NICE w/ Crewcab and really liked the design, but I too had the same problem that Brad and other's had w/ the so called loadlifters not being able to perform BOTH of their funtions. One being to pull the load closer to the back w/ it did fine and two taking the weight off the shoulders when loaded w/ a hvy load which it could not do the way it is designed. I know others love the MR CC and show many hvy loads being hauled w/ one but for me it wasn't working and made my shoulders hurt when loaded.
I contacted MR and they were very kind and offered help but other than changing out packs there was no cure for me.
I built a panel extender to get the loadlifters up where they could funtion and presto it was great. I shared this w/ M.R. and asked if there was any way to build a modification or add-on and this is where it stalled, which I understand this fully and it was o.k.
I am no way as exper. as others in packs but when "I" have to haul a hvy load a distance I need to have a way of getting the weight off my shoulders and the Crewcab would not allow me to do this.
Kifaru has even taken notice of this and their new G2 line has extended the frame on some of their packs to better funtion in this area.
My opinion and my opinion only is that Dan McHale has the best design going for loadlifters but it is patented and only he can make this. His is called the bypass system. It has two straps that run parrelal(sp) w/ each other and one keeps the load pulled close to the body while the other can lift the load off the shoulders or vise-versa. It is by far a superior design.
Well enough chatter. One thing is for sure we have acess to many great packs and there is no ONE SIZE FITS ALL so my hats off to the ones making these great packs because it is mucho fun tring all this quality equipment out there. Again, My hats off to you all!!!
Allen
Yeah, the kid from MR says I have "ulterior" motives on this thread then sends angry and obnoxious PM's... then, in your usual girly fashion you show up to try a couple of weak, side-ways shots and I'm the one engaged in "personal attacks"... TFF.
For whatever it is worth, this forum has started to become a bit of an MR advertisement.

Not sure I agree with that, even though I own a MR pack and I like it.

Just my 2 cents.
I have "ulterior" motives

Would love to know what those ulterior motives are.

Somebody fess up please! We need to know! grin
Originally Posted by 340boy
For whatever it is worth, this forum has started to become a bit of an MR advertisement.

Just my 2 cents.

340boy, you could say that for leupold, mcmillan, tsx's, and a host of other products too. Birds of a feather will flock together, and in this case will migrate to a forum where their own personal preferences prevail, and will discuss/cuss the various aspects of said preferred product.

I think this is a great opportunity for discussion, and for others to learn about products before committing their dollars. The problem is, when someone offers an opinion counter to the prevailing opinion, a dog-pile ensues.

Unless some serious post-post-editing occured, all Brad did was comment on frame length/lifter location on a particular stature/load combination.

just my 2 cents too
How about getting back to why this post was made.

A forum sponsor getting the word to the campfire on a good sale.

I love my all 3 of Mystery Ranch packs. They fit ME perfect.

This is getting to be like the optics forum......... NUFF SAID
Originally Posted by free_miner
Originally Posted by 340boy

Just my 2 cents.

340boy, you could say that for leupold, mcmillan, tsx's, and a host of other products too. Birds of a feather will flock together, and in this case will migrate to a forum where their own personal preferences prevail, and will discuss/cuss the various aspects of said preferred product.

I think this is a great opportunity for discussion, and for others to learn about products before committing their dollars. The problem is, when someone offers an opinion counter to the prevailing opinion, a dog-pile ensues.

Unless some serious post-post-editing occured, all Brad did was comment on frame length/lifter location on a particular stature/load combination.

just my 2 cents too

Free Miner,
You make some good points.

However,I was certainly not bagging on Brad.
I have a good deal of respect for him and his opinions.

My point was that this forum has lost some of its objectivity which is ashame.
This used to be my favorite forum on the 'Fire.
Now, however, I hardly even read it let alone post here.

Again, I remind you that I do own a MR pack(Nice/6500) and I think it is a very well made, good fitting setup.

Again, just my opinion.
340boy, i know you weren;t bagging on anyone, and am in full agreement about the declining objectivity. Just pointing out that it is natural that the 'strongest' opinions will eventually drive 'dissenters' off.

I also appreciate good dealers like MR and cameraland and the like to offer a heads-up on sale products, and I also ordered a black CC with a daypack last week, just to see what the fuss is all about.

kenaiking, you are correct of course, but even a forum sponsor has to expect comments from all sides if they post on a public forum.
Free Miner,
Thanks for your reply.
I agree totally about the advertisers giving advance notice on sales-that is a good thing!
cool
As for the sale - I already have 2 NICE frames, 2 crewcabs, and an assortment of other MR bags.. and I'm sure I'll be buying more in the future. Definately good to see the heads up though.. have a friend who I suspect will be paying a visit.

As for the fit - I've never had a problem. Have seen a lot of packs being used, and for a daypack on steroids, have yet to see anything even remotely as fitting as the crew cab. For larger, heavier, day-in and day out backpacking I've never used anything that competes in comfort with my NICE/6500 combo. I haven't used the G-series packs though..

Brad, what are you using for a hunting backpack? You should bring it by sometime (with beer), as I'd like to compare.

I've been in and out of that MR shop enough to know if something doesn't work just right, they will do whatever it takes to get you rolling with the best product and service possible.

kenaiking, you are correct of course, but even a forum sponsor has to expect comments from all sides if they post on a public forum.

FM,

I totally agree 100% The best part about this forum was the ability to ask a question and get lots of different opinions. It worked great for me on my sleeping bag thread. It really opened my eyes to a lot of different bags. What I don't like to see is when we take a thread and make it into a mine is better then yours thread. We have our opinions and we all like what works best for US. That said what works for you may not work best for me. When I post I try to give the best opinion I can with the gear I have or have used. If it was good for me I will tell you why and if it was bad I will tell you what didn't work for ME.

In the end I'm glad we are so passionate about our gear and what we like to do. (insert warm fuzzy hug here)
you can learn from others experience but only to a point, it's their experience and you have to create your own to find what works for you for we're all different.

I like to squeeze all the comfort I can outa my gear. but I've no doubt the old guys I respect up here that their game tasted just as good dropping it with a wood stocked .30-06 and hauling it in on a Nelson packboard.

we're lucky to have to choose from what we do for sure.
Originally Posted by 1akhunter
you can learn from others experience but only to a point, it's their experience and you have to create your own to find what works for you for we're all different.

I like to squeeze all the comfort I can outa my gear. but I've no doubt the old guys I respect up here that their game tasted just as good dropping it with a wood stocked .30-06 and hauling it in on a Nelson packboard.

No doubt about that!!

Now that FAI guys use extreme shallows and fancy stainless 300wm's laugh
I am not neccessarily on Brads side, but IMO and IME Brads opinion on the NICE system mirrors mine to a T. As some of you know I recently got a NICE 6500 and every single comment Brad has made about the NICE systems faults, was exactly my feeling. I sent the NICE 6500 back and got a Grizzly and I can tell you that the Grizzly is way more like what I am used to in quality Mountaineering packs than the NICE was, and the Grizzly is built hell for stout. To each his own I guess. I trusted in some of the testimonials from guys right here at the Campfire when I shelled out 6 + bills for a pack, and in less than 5 minutes wearing it I knew it wasn't made for me. Two things told me this.....Frame too short, and Loadlifters too low. The guys at Mystery Ranch did me right in correcting my purchase for a pack that I do like , and all is well.
I apologize to everyone that this thread has turned from sharing our "Paint it Black Sale" with the Campfire to what it has become.

Everyone is entitled to their opinions.... that's why these forums exist and I highly value everyone's input. I do not however value personal attacks like "Brad" calling me a "ignoramus" and his mention about "Angry and Obnoxious PM's" such as the one "Brad" has recently posted. This is wrong and shouldn't be allowed on the Campfire.

Brad, as I've said in one of the PM's, "I respect your opinions and posts"... I don't however respect what you've posted here on this thread... and frankly it's time someone stand up to this kind of behavior. I'll give you a chance to personally post the 2 PM threads we've had here.... in order to justify your comments... before I do this afternoon in order to clear the air and share with EVERYONE just how you act online.
I could be wrong here, but I am pretty sure they everyone does not care what was said in the PMs between you guys. You guys both have valid points about the packs and gear which is why this forum exists, just leave it at that. No reason the escalate the personal stuff with posting PMs and what not about who was right and wrong.

Thanks for the heads up on this AWESOME deal on the packs. Can't wait to put mine to use.
Originally Posted by 1akhunter

Great post, and, my sentiment's exactly!
I agree with that.

Brad and Mark are both stand up guys. Some people just dont see eye to eye. Nothing wrong with that. Im 100% positive if they had this conversation over a pint of bozone it would be all good.

Not that this thread needs it but Free Bump for more kick arse packs.

Originally Posted by alaska_lanche
You guys both have valid points about the packs and gear which is why this forum exists

Totally agree, but is civil interchange of ideas too much to ask?

First time, okay, everyone is entitled to a mistake. Now that a pattern has developed with these flare-ups, . . . well, maybe it is time for some counseling? The dude seems to have some issues that are much greater than someone contradicting his "expertise" on backpacks.
I did not see Brad giving his opinion as an attack and this is a public forum for information as well entertainment.My $.02
Originally Posted by hunting1
I did not see Brad giving his opinion as an attack and this is a public forum for information as well entertainment.My $.02

Not sure your post was directed at me, but I was not in any way, shape or form, critizing Brad-I think Brad is good people! smile

I was just making a general statement, and I am sorry if it sounded like a personal attack.
Brad, I respect your opinions, and your posts... I'm writing this here to publicly apologize for anything I've done that may have offended you. Brad I'd also like to continue to extend my offer to help find a Mystery Ranch pack that will suit your specific needs.... and donate my time to help make that happen. Maybe yourself, Greenhorn, and I could get together over some beers?

I (wish I'd known about the "Netiquette" that PMs are not cool to post. Actually, I have nothing to hide there and just wanted to make sure my words stood on their own. But I've been informed it's a no-no, so) I've decided to follow the "Netiquette" on 24hourcampfire and NOT post the 2 PM's between myself and Brad... in the end sharing PM's and furthering an "online argument" is not at all why I'm investing my valuable time here on 24hourcampfire.

I do invest my time here because I'm very passionate about providing the Amazing Customer service that Mystery Ranch has become famous for and was established by Ranch Hands before me. I'm constantly working with folks from the fire and providing endless support to them via pm's, emails, and phone conversations..... when I'm ON and OFF the clock. Not just because I enjoy it, but because you guys are great customers and people with whom I've come to respect.

Thanks to everyone for their support of this sale... if you ever need anything at all, or have any questions pertaining to Mystery Ranch or any other topic relating to Backpack Hunting, and the gear associated... please don't hesitate to contact me.

And Brad, no hard feelings on this end. I'm confident that after trying one of our packs you'll change your mind about them, and the offer stands from me to you personally to make that happen. Take me up on it!

Would the crew cab have enough capacity for a 5-7 day elk hunt, or would the behemoth be a better choice?
CC is going to be super tight to get all your gear and meat. The Bohemoth would be better.
I've tried the CC and am going with the Behemoth this coming year.

I think it will handle the load out better with mongo weights.

I think the CC is better for slightly shorter hunts or where you need slightly less winter gear.
I have (and love) the CBMR Orion. I am sure it would meet your needs for a 5-7 day elk hunt, which is exactly what I bought mine for.
Huh, I had to double check to make sure I did not click on the optics forum...

Sounds like a great deal on a great pack.
Eland~

Totally depends on the style, weight, and size of your gear.... and how you plan on getting the animal out.

I have super light and super compact gear.... I can easily to a 7 day elk hunt out of my crew cab..... but I've spent a ton of time working with my equipment to get it dialed.

If your gear is larger... I'd go with a Behemoth... If you plan on carrying quarters I'd go with the Crew Cab for meat packing.... the Behemoth would work better with bags of boned-out meat for sure.

If you want more detailed advice and information give me a shout.

Mark
Brad, I respect your opinions, and your posts... I'm writing this here to publicly apologize for anything I've done that may have offended you. Brad I'd also like to continue to extend my offer to help find a Mystery Ranch pack that will suit your specific needs.... and donate my time to help make that happen. Maybe yourself, Greenhorn, and I could get together over some beers?

I (wish I'd known about the "Netiquette" that PMs are not cool to post. Actually, I have nothing to hide there and just wanted to make sure my words stood on their own. But I've been informed it's a no-no, so) I've decided to follow the "Netiquette" on 24hourcampfire and NOT post the 2 PM's between myself and Brad... in the end sharing PM's and furthering an "online argument" is not at all why I'm investing my valuable time here on 24hourcampfire.

I do invest my time here because I'm very passionate about providing the Amazing Customer service that Mystery Ranch has become famous for and was established by Ranch Hands before me. I'm constantly working with folks from the fire and providing endless support to them via pm's, emails, and phone conversations..... when I'm ON and OFF the clock. Not just because I enjoy it, but because you guys are great customers and people with whom I've come to respect.

Thanks to everyone for their support of this sale... if you ever need anything at all, or have any questions pertaining to Mystery Ranch or any other topic relating to Backpack Hunting, and the gear associated... please don't hesitate to contact me.

And Brad, no hard feelings on this end. I'm confident that after trying one of our packs you'll change your mind about them, and the offer stands from me to you personally to make that happen. Take me up on it!

Mark, I'm wasn't just referring to the PM's this week you sent, but also to the PM's from some months back where you flew off the handle. And, as now, apologized... again. I kept those PM's.

You need to slow down and try to absorb the written word and not get so bent and emotional.

I've clearly written what I think of your packs, the good, the bad, and the in between as objectively as possible. I've given credit where I see it due as well as my own criticisms. You can't seem to grasp that's ok. Your cryptic "ulterior motives" blurb in the last page is pure BS and you know it.

You can try to have a love-fest publicly but it won't fly. Yours is no real apology as is pretty clear. I know BS and insincere azz covering for public consumption when I see it.

just my 2 cents too

No editing occurred... as has rightly pointed out MR has begun to dominate this forum and a civil exchange of ideas is becoming increasingly difficult... wow, who'd have thought it!
Well it is obvious to me who is the true gentleman in all of this. The medical marvel shows his true colors once again.
You didn't get the PM's I did...
Well everyone... just wanted you all to know we are SOLD OUT of both Orion and Scorpius Black CBMR packs!

Thanks for your orders and business!!!

Fire Guys.... another quick point.

For any Mystery Ranch Customer Service Questions, especially those associated with this sale, shipping dates, tracking numbers, etc, etc. Please contact Mystery Ranch at the shop number. 406.585.1428

Please do not PM your questions here.... It's much easier for us to track the information exchange over the telephone.

***Due to the overwhelming response to our sale, orders placed after 4/02/09 may take up to two weeks for delivery. Please plan accordingly. Thank you for your patience! The Mystery Ranch Crew.***

Best.

Mark
That is great news. If I didn't place an order a month ago for some MR gear I would be now! Great service and very helpful people. I worked with Andrew and Kenzie at different times and they were very knowledgeable and considerate. Sorry Mark, you were traveling at the time!

Hey everyone... I just wanted to share with everyone that the [color:#000000]Paint it Black sale will end Saturday April 11![/color]

Thanks to everyone who purchased one of these packs from the fire!

We're looking forward to seeing lots of pictures of these in the field this upcoming hunting season.... with lots of stoked hunters!

We thought we'd share this with 24hourcampfire before anyone else! Here's the skinny.

This is the BIGGEST discount ever offered by Mystery Ranch. We have listed all the Black CamelBak Mystery Ranch products at unbelievable discounts! This sale will begin Thursday April 2 (this is not an April Fools Joke!!). Get ready, these products will go fast!!!!

You can order online or call us at the shop..... 406.585.1428

This sale is limited to BLACK CBMR packs/frames only.... here's the breakdown;

Black CBMR NICE Frame Packs

Black CBMR Crew Cab (1900-5000 cubic inches) and Black NICE Frame $249
Black CBMR Manticore (4200 cubic inches) and Black NICE Frame $269
Black CBMR Cerberus (4400 cubic inches) and Black NICE Frame $259
Black CBMR Behemoth (6500 cubic inches) and Black NICE Frame $299

Black CBMR Guide Frame Packs

Black CBMR Orion (6000 cubic inches) $289 [color:#FF0000]SOLD OUT
Black CBMR Scorpius (7000 cubic inches) $299[/color] SOLD OUT

Black CBMR products carry Mystery Ranch's Lifetime Warranty. This sale is limited to stock on hand and quantities are very limited.

*** A $30 charge will be added to outfit any small or large belts, and any small or large yokes.***

Not part of the sale, but a pic of the new longbow pack that fits on this NICE frame. It has potential for sure.

[Linked Image]
Here is another............
Top right

[Linked Image]
Just wanted to give credits to MR customer service. I ordered a Nice 6500 with a large hip belt. After playing around and testing the pack i found out that the hipbelt was medium size. No big deal for me, the medium belt fit me well. In a mail i mentioned it for one of the MR guys. The result was that i for free received the correct hipbelt, but in the zippered pocketed version. That is a service so seldom seen here and shows me that these folks are really taking care of their customers. The new hip belt is outstanding. Thanks.

Arild
Oh sure..... Here it is Easter Sunday and I missed the friggin sale by ONE day frown

Maybe they'll take pitty on a Montana boy that needs a new pack??
Go to the site and give it a try....(sorry MR).

Kenaiking: what's the size on the longbow pack?

Is that a Big Sky to the left in the photo?
+1, my thought exactly when I saw mule deer's post. Oh, well can't win them all.
LostArra,

The Longbow is 2200 cubes, near as I can tell it is very close to a Snapdragon bag for the nice frame.

And I do believe the one on the left is a Big Sky, at 2800 ci.

Carl
Yup,

2200ci on the long bow and the big sky on the left.

Thanks Carl smile
tag
Tag??? For what?
Didn't know I needed to explain myself....

TAG for really good discussion on a bag I am interested in. Good background info on these packs - sizes, what they look like, what they are worth (on sale), etc...

Good enough?
Thought there was a sale.
Thought there was a sale too! Crap!
Well, there was...

two springs ago laugh
© 24hourcampfire